• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
Too slow. ;_;
Have you tried Wario? He's not especially hard to learn at a basic level, enough to beat Falco and Oli anyway (50-50 or so with each, I think). There's nothing too complex about his game, just anticipating and baiting mostly. He also has probably the best air grab in the game.

Other than that, Kirby does really well against Falco and is really easy to use - there's not all that much to him. His Oli matchup isn't great, though.

I think ROB does decently well against both Falco and Oli, but he's much less straightforward than Wario or Kirby.

Of course, there's always Snake, but that doesn't solve your Oli problem.

Wolf would be a decent choice too - simple but effective character with a good Oli matchup and better-than-Ike Falco matchup (45-55 or so).

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Tried.

I wasn't kidding when I said I've been trying for months.

Meta Knight - Not my fighting style, not that gay, keep suiciding.
Snake - Keep screwing up the C4 recovery, can't use aerials well at all. I can use him, but it isn't pretty. Keep suiciding.
Wario - I can't play that gay. >_>
Falco - Been a long time since I last tried.
Diddy Kong - Banana games....@_@ Too much to try during college
King Dedede - I can CG fine, can't do much else. Feels slower then Ike to me.

Marth - Tried several times. Not very good with him. Can use him.
Mr. Game & Watch - See above. Have used him in a tournament before.
Pikachu - Tried briefly. Style didn't fit well.
Olimar - See above, but more so.
Ice Climbers - Can't get the CG down good, can't use any of their moves well.
R.O.B. - Tried for a while. Just not very good with him. Not campy enough. I can kinda use him a bit.
Kirby - Tried for a while. Style wasn't the best for me. I *can* use him a bit.

Lucario - Terrible match for me. lol.
Zero Suit Samus - See above.
Toon Link - Tried multiple times. I'm either spamming projectiles, or I'm not using enough. Can't find the right balance.
Pit - Tried. Can't aim the arrows well, can't glide well. Aerial game isn't a good match for me.
Donkey Kong - Kinda meh to me. He's alright, I can kinda use him.

Peach - Too much to learn during college
Luigi - Bleh. >_>
Fox - He's alright. Not really good enough to attempt to use him in a tournament. Tend to suicide with him.
Wolf - See above, except I'm a bit better with him.
Sonic - lol, too many ATs to learn during college
Sheik - Meh, tried her for a while. Another one of those "can use, but I'm not any good with her"

Bowser - Secondary #2
Zelda - Same as Sheik due to the fact I used both at the same time.
Pokémon Trainer - Love Charizard. Would secondary him if possible. Hate Ivy and Squirtle, hate force switching, hate the reverse aura like effect.
Ike - Main. :bee:

Lucas - Tried for a while. Didn't like the projectile game on Lucas or his aerial game.
Mario - Yet another "I can use him, but I'm terrible with him" character.
Ness - Liked him a lot better then Lucas. Obviously the better of the two, I'm still tinkering around with using him, but I hate his recovery.
Yoshi - Tried for a while. Honestly, too different of playing style for me.
Samus - I can spam the projectiles and Zair, but not much else.

Jigglypuff - Tried for a while. I keep somehow managing to use up all of my jumps with her off stage, or accidently singing. >_> I'm really bad with her.
Captain Falcon - Secondary #1
Link - Tried. Too bad of projectile/recovery game.
Ganondorf - I use him for the lulz occasionally, terrible with him. No real point in trying to use him. >_>

Like I said, I've tried for quite a while now....obviously if I had the time I could secondary several of those characters. But most of them don't really help my weaknesses (like Mario for example)

Nanaki

Smash Lord
Based on that, I would probably just pick Marth or G&W and do your best. It sounds like you're more optimistic about them than anyone else (except maybe Ness). Pick one of those 3 and do what you can, imo.

Putting it off just makes it worse, I did the same thing.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I do.

Stop whining and get better. You said yourself that theres2 guys that play ike that do just fine in those matches ( this is comign from a guy thats going to be playing doubles with one of those guys this weekend) if he can be that good, any body can, so stop looking for characters to solve your problems, and just get better. because if you as a player arent good enough to over come those characters, youll never beat them no matter what characters you play.

just get better, and stop listening to the character boards as a be all end all to matchups. I counterpick olis, with ddd, because i know and like the matchup. if you are good, you can overcome any disadvantages, especially with ike

step your game up guy.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I don't have good reflexes. >_> They are well below average. lol I mainly want to have fun at tournaments, and CP my bad match-ups so I have a chance of making it past round 2. I don't have a hope of placing, that isn't the issue.

Besides, I think Kirk has only beaten an Olimar once IIRC....

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Anyone who wants me to make a topic on Safe Zones, and why projectiles are useless (save maybe 3-4 of them), just let me know.

Preferably via VM/PM.

I want to see how much interest this has before I waste my time with it.

eDin

Smash Rookie
Hi, I have a question about the c-stick. Is it important to play with the c-stick or is it better to use the smashes by pressing side-a, up-a and so on? And if playing with c-stick, why?

TP

Smash Master
Hi, I have a question about the c-stick. Is it important to play with the c-stick or is it better to use the smashes by pressing side-a, up-a and so on? And if playing with c-stick, why?
Using the c-stick is considered better by most players because it is involved in several advanced tricks, depending on what character you use. Check the individual character boards for more detail. Personally, I almost never use the c-stick. Don't do it if it hurts your playstyle.

Is link a tourney-worthy character? Is it possible fo link to win a tourney?
Link pretty much can't win at high levels of play. Only the very best Link mains in the country can make it to the final rounds of tournaments. If Link fits you best, go ahead and use him, but work on a secondary character too, for his really bad matchups.

:034:

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
This one's probably ********, but what is the best way to practice button-mashing?

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
OK I tried to find some info on shields, but all I see is they have a 1 frame start up and a 7 frame cooldown. Does this mean you are invincible on frame 2, or on frame 1? And do you get vulnerable again 7 frames after letting go of Z or 8 frames after it? And are there differences between characters apart from Jiggs and Yoshi?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
first of all, you are not invincible, as no matter what part of your shield animation you are in, you can still get grabbed.

The shield activates on frame 1 so I believe that frames 1-10 after you hit the shield button any attack you block will be perfect shielded and you dont have the 7 frames of shield drop lag which means you can instantly counter attack.

you are vulnerable to attack the first frame after you let go of the shield button. but you cant move or do any other actions, until after 7 frames after you let go of the shield button. on the 8th frame you are free to do any move or action you choose.

yoshi and jiggz dont really have anything different about their shields other than the fact that puff dies when you break hers, and yoshis is stronger than all other shields and cant be poked, at the cost of (I think) having a slower shield drop animation, and being unable to jump out of his shield. other than that, no, Im pretty sure all other characters shields are the same.

Soukon

Smash Rookie
Is training against level 9 cpu's counter productive to improving your game? sometimes I feel like I do worse after a session of training against random lvl 9's

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
When practicing against the computer, you have to have a specific goal in mind when practicing, the same way you have to have a specific idea in mind when practicing against people. its just that usually with people, you get feedback as to what you are doing wrong so you are directed as to what to improve on with that training session.

if you played against a guy that said "wow, good game" after every game, than you probably wouldnt improve. but usually after a match, if your friend goes, "wow, your DI is awful" than you are probably going to spend the next few games working on your DI. Whereas you cant get that kind of feedback from the cpu, so you have to know ahead of time what you are working on.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It also can make you form bad habits due to the basically static nature of a CPUs playstyle. In other words, you can become accustomed to a character behaving a certain way when you do a certain thing, and this can transfer over to real human vs. human matches if you can't realize that CPUs are nothing like human players.

Basically, avoid playing CPUs when ever possible and substitute it with human players that are better then you, or, if you don't have that option, train against a lower level CPU (Lv. 3 is what many people recommend) and set-up situations that humans would be capable of.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I disagree with that, because if you take my method above, reacting to play style or things of that nature become a non issue. if you are trying to learn how to DI out of pikachus down smash or how to punish tornado and you have nobody to practice with, cpus help with those things immensely. and if you are trying to learn how to punish spotdodges, cpus are very very helpful for that as well.

you just cant go at it blind, you need to have a set goal in mind when training with cpus

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I disagree with that, because if you take my method above, reacting to play style or things of that nature become a non issue. if you are trying to learn how to DI out of pikachus down smash or how to punish tornado and you have nobody to practice with, cpus help with those things immensely. and if you are trying to learn how to punish spotdodges, cpus are very very helpful for that as well.

you just cant go at it blind, you need to have a set goal in mind when training with cpus
Dude...you're right. :embarrass

Just wanted to know if anyone's made a comprehensive guide to Accelerating Slope Sliding. If not, I'd be more that willing to, just to have something to do.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
What is the window for techrolling? most of the time i try to I just tech and proceed to get punished by my friend's ddd.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I had a level 9 cpu do something I have never seen before. It did a standing grab and then slid away before the ending lag was over. It wasn't a huge slide but it was definitely noticeable. The slide started a good while after he had last been hit so its not shield push unless he was somehow supposed to be sliding forward during the first part of the grab.

100 % certain it wasn't a pivot grab.

So is it possible to do retreating standing grabs? Is so how do I do this?

jo3bro

Smash Rookie
Um I have a question, im relativly new at brawl and I used to not be able to smash w/o my c-stick, now I can, but my problem is, I now can't do anything else, I mean I can't tilt anymore, and when I do its by accident, is there any advice anyone could give on tilting/smashing at will?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I had a level 9 cpu do something I have never seen before. It did a standing grab and then slid away before the ending lag was over. It wasn't a huge slide but it was definitely noticeable. The slide started a good while after he had last been hit so its not shield push unless he was somehow supposed to be sliding forward during the first part of the grab.

100 % certain it wasn't a pivot grab.

So is it possible to do retreating standing grabs? Is so how do I do this?
It sounds like a pivot grab from dash dance.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Um I have a question, im relativly new at brawl and I used to not be able to smash w/o my c-stick, now I can, but my problem is, I now can't do anything else, I mean I can't tilt anymore, and when I do its by accident, is there any advice anyone could give on tilting/smashing at will?
If you input a direction and the A button simultaneously you'll do a smash. To do a tilt you need to wait a little while between the direction and the A button.

Spend some time in training mode and get used to the timing difference.

Sliq

Smash Master
How do you do that instant pivot grab bull**** SamuraiPanda tried to teach me before?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
iirc, you have to press R/L within 20 (1/3 sec) before hitting the surface.
I can tech pretty well, its just that when I try to roll I dont, do I have to press the direction as I press L or can I hold the direction then press L?

How do you do that instant pivot grab bull**** SamuraiPanda tried to teach me before?
Umm..... buffer a dash + grab then immediately press back on the control stick?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
holding the direction and pressing L/R is the easiest way to do it. You can also press the direction as or after the R/L but before you hit the ground (i'm not positive on this last part, but you can definitely hold it before pressing the tech button).

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
holding the direction and pressing L/R is the easiest way to do it. You can also press the direction as or after the R/L but before you hit the ground (i'm not positive on this last part, but you can definitely hold it before pressing the tech button).
Thanks! <3

Tesh

Smash Hero
As I said, 100% certain it wasn't a pivot grab. It actually started sliding during the grab lag after it missed. Wasn't a sliding pivot grab, it was a standing grab and THEN it slid away.

Just watched the replay again to be certain, it was a standing grab. Unless there is a windbox attached to fox rapid jabs, I have no idea how this is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom