• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who could I go to if I need frame data clarification on escapeable/inescapeable things?

Such as I present 1 scenario and they frame test it to see if there are any escapeable moments?

Ninja_Sheep

Smash Rookie
I was messing around in training mode and found something weird with luigi.

If you stand right at the ledge, facing towards the stage and grab -> dthrow someone the dthrow is somehow different.
The dthrow slams the oponent offstage where he rebounds from the non existant floor a bit lower then when he rebounds from the normal floor.
This allows easier follow ups. A guaranteed utilt for example (on low%). True combo.

Also kinda worked with ganondorfs dthrow, facing away from the stage. Leads into jab.

Tested on Ike and MK.

Is this known?

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Does every character have the same amount of frames where they are unable to move after a footstool off stage?

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
SDIing the KO moves

I wanna know how to SDI various kill moves so I could perhaps live for a bit longer. I could use QCDI if i trained a LOT.

So firstly what's my best option to SDI mainly vertical killers like DK's upsmash or Peach's?

What's my best option to SDI mainly horizontal killers like Kirby's non-angled fsmash or Ike's sidesmash?

I just wanna know how to do this during hitlag, also exactly when the hitlag frames are around, so I can train this. I dunno maybe I can do this against some noobs in basic brawl, it'll surprise them if I can live until 200%!

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
is there anyway i can make use of Wolfs D-air?

im having a bit of trouble with it
Predict your opponent's recovery path and dair him/her from where you can see he/she's going.

Predict an opponent from the ledge and dair him if he jumps, without attacking.

Since dair has startup lag, try mindgaming your opponent so make them think ur gonna bair or fair but instead dair them. It's damaging and if they don't tech the spike then you can tech chase and punish.

In brawl: spike = meteor smash

MusicGamer

Smash Rookie
Okay, now I have a question about the tier list. From what I gather, it organizes the characters in Brawl based on how good they are in the game or something like that. Yet I've heard of people that use Ganondorf, who is bottom-tier, as a main. So, my question is, what exactly is the point of the tier list? Is it just for tournament purposes or something like that?

Boofy!

Smash Champion
"A tier list is a ranking of each character's metagame, based on tournament settings. It indicates how professional smashers expect each character to be able to perform under tournament conditions. Tiers thus measure the potential of each character based on all currently known techniques and strategies that have been shown to be useful in tournaments. Tier lists are common in fighting games as well as many other competitive games involving a large selection of characters, such as Pokémon."

~ Smashwiki

ArnoldsCat

Smash Rookie
Predict your opponent's recovery path and dair him/her from where you can see he/she's going.

Predict an opponent from the ledge and dair him if he jumps, without attacking.

Since dair has startup lag, try mindgaming your opponent so make them think ur gonna bair or fair but instead dair them. It's damaging and if they don't tech the spike then you can tech chase and punish.

In brawl: spike = meteor smash
Thanks for your help!

i knew i could use it as a spike but i think the start up lag put me off.
But i will try mindgaming the otherguy.thanks for the help!

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Thanks for your help!

i knew i could use it as a spike but i think the start up lag put me off.
But i will try mindgaming the otherguy.thanks for the help!
Now I didn't say that this is the best of moves though. It's ending lag is horrible and though it can be ACed out of a short hop it can't be recovered from when performed too low offstage. Trying to kill your opponent out the stage with this may kill you too. Only if you try for a dair vertical to the ledge then you coudl try but otherwise use this to spike when you are safely horizontally above the stage so you could at least side-B back. You know Wolf's recovery isn't the best.

ArnoldsCat

Smash Rookie
Now I didn't say that this is the best of moves though. It's ending lag is horrible and though it can be ACed out of a short hop it can't be recovered from when performed too low offstage. Trying to kill your opponent out the stage with this may kill you too. Only if you try for a dair vertical to the ledge then you coudl try but otherwise use this to spike when you are safely horizontally above the stage so you could at least side-B back. You know Wolf's recovery isn't the best.
haha yeah.thanks again!
and yeah,i really dont like wolfs recovery..
i wish it was easier to aim and stuff..

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Okay, now I have a question about the tier list. From what I gather, it organizes the characters in Brawl based on how good they are in the game or something like that. Yet I've heard of people that use Ganondorf, who is bottom-tier, as a main. So, my question is, what exactly is the point of the tier list? Is it just for tournament purposes or something like that?
The tier list is a list (duh) of all the character's metagames ranked from best to worst in a high level environment I guess you could say. The high level of play is important, as a lot of people don't get that part. For the Ganon part, some people just like using certain characters and aren't completely driven by the play to win aspect of all competitive games.

In the end, you can say that a tier list shows how high level players expect characters to perform in high level matches (tournament matches usually), as well as measure what the character's potential is with all the tourny viable techniques etc. that have been discovered so far compared to the others.

Any one feel free to add/subtract anything, I don't even really know if thats all/too much. :)

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
haha yeah.thanks again!
and yeah,i really dont like wolfs recovery..
i wish it was easier to aim and stuff..
Well it's not. And if you tend to use Wolf then you must always think of good strategies for gimping. Since you're talking about his recovery I'd like to say a few words.

Firstly his up-B is not as flexible as Lucario's up-B and though it has hitboxes it's still not that long. Furthermore the hitboxes don't intimidate good opponents so you'll find yourself edgehogged. When your opponent is offstage the thing you wouldn't want is yourself to be reversed in the situation when the opponent gets to the ledge before you had the chance to gimp him/her.

Now you could be as sly as Fox and do a down-B to singly gimp characters with bad recoveries. You could full hop offstage from a RAR and bair and double jump to bair again. This should be enough to gimp any recovery apart from the ridiculously good ones, ROB, Metanaito. This is called a wall of pain and Wolf has one to some extent- constant bairs or fairs offstage to gimp the opponent. If you only did one bair then you can veyr easily recover, depending on how far below or above the stage you were.

Always always be weary of your up-B/side-B's recovery path because if you're not then you can very easily kill yourself just making it back to the stage.

Now as for the dair, this is when things start to look sexy. RAR'd bairs are a very good gimping options but you could save your bairs and your double jump for a dair. Make your opponent think you're gonna bair offstage, double jump over him and dair that muthatrucker. Then you may recover easily. Now this is a great option becaise the opponent could have airdodged thinking the first bair was coming. That makes things easier.

There are a few things you must know about wolf's recovery. His up-B has a lot of startup lag so it can be easily predicted by the opponent and it relies on a free ledge for recovery. If you're far down then only a free ledge allows you to recover. Sakurai hated Wolf, I think, so when he's shouting YOU MUST RECOVER, your opponent is saying HAHA EDGEHOGGED MUTHATRUCKER! That is when he/she has edgehogged you. lol you must never approach this situation. It's like being ness and doing up-B. This is Ness' way of saying PLEASE PLEASE DON'T GIMP ME when the opponent can very easily.

Side-B is a lot faster and sometimes your opponent won't predict it. It goes in an angle close to 60 degrees I think but it's a good recovery because first it can spike at the sweetspot, it's lightning quick for getting back to the stage. It's a good option for recovery and if you do it in the right place you won't be gimped or edgehogged. Now for this you MUST DI. DI like Link. It's not even difficult. When you get hit DI as close to the corner of the stage as possible so you end up much higher. Wolf being below the stage if not the best of positions to be in. If you're above then you can easily side-B safely back on stage. However some good players will know that you're gonna do that and may punish you for it. For example Marth could edgehog and then ledgehog fair to combos when your side-B reaches the stage. Snake could leave a grenade for you onstage. But you must nonetheless learn how to DI for Wolf. This is absolutely crucial for Link because his up-B is mediocre by vertical and horizontal measures so being under the stage is by far the worst position for anybody, apart from DK and his largely horizontal up-B.

You should also note that the side-B sometimes cancels at one point in the ledge leaving you mindgaming yourself into a normal aerial state. lol sometimes this kills me because i wouldn't expect it so KNOW where the side-B cancel point is on the ledges of stages. Did you know MArth's up-B can also be cancel hence from that point he could do a double up-B? Don't try this unless you watch videos of this in action.

Wolf's recovery doesn't have to suck if you train and get used to your options and solutions, before you despair when trying to recover.

DaMissingLink

Smash Rookie
I really need help with performing Bairs and all that stuff, i have no idea what controls to use and I really need an answer

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Melo hold up. Explain this to me 1 more time. Explain the sequence of button inputs in more detail.
Okay, well first you need to understand that a backwards aerial attack can be performed with either the c-stick, or the A button combined with a directional input with the analog stick.
Here's the step-by-step instructions (all directions assume default control settings):

1) Jump with either X, Y, or Up on the analog stick.
2) Wait until your virtual avatar is in the air (you can tell when this is by checking his or her feet. Are they touching the ground? If the answer is "yes," then you did not perform step one correctly. If the answer is "no," move on the step three).
3) This is where things get tricky. While your character is airborne, you must perform the backwards aerial attack. I will now explain the two different methods:
3a) First, hold backwards on the analog stick. You can tell where backwards is by looking at your character. Looks at his or her body. Now, hold the analog stick in the opposite direction. While this direction is being held, press down on the A button with your thumb-finger.
3b) Tilt the c-stick backwards. Refer to 3a if you are confused as to where backwards is.
4) *IMPORTANT STEP* Land on the stage. If you notice that your character is falling down without landing on anything, you will probably soon lose a stock. Make sure there is solid ground below you!

Hope that helps.

Sardoni

Smash Rookie
Okay, well first you need to understand that a backwards aerial attack can be performed with either the c-stick, or the A button combined with a directional input with the analog stick.
Here's the step-by-step instructions (all directions assume default control settings):

1) Jump with either X, Y, or Up on the analog stick.
2) Wait until your virtual avatar is in the air (you can tell when this is by checking his or her feet. Are they touching the ground? If the answer is "yes," then you did not perform step one correctly. If the answer is "no," move on the step three).
3) This is where things get tricky. While your character is airborne, you must perform the backwards aerial attack. I will now explain the two different methods:
3a) First, hold backwards on the analog stick. You can tell where backwards is by looking at your character. Looks at his or her body. Now, hold the analog stick in the opposite direction. While this direction is being held, press down on the A button with your thumb-finger.
3b) Tilt the c-stick backwards. Refer to 3a if you are confused as to where backwards is.
4) *IMPORTANT STEP* Land on the stage. If you notice that your character is falling down without landing on anything, you will probably soon lose a stock. Make sure there is solid ground below you!

Hope that helps.
Whoa whoa, I need more. There needs to be a crack team of scientists studying this issue. What are the brain functions used in this process? Which side of the brain is primarily being used? Which muscles are in play here?

I NEED AN ADULT. AHHH

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
What are the brain functions used in this process?
Minimally? The premotor cortex (for the planning of movements), the occipital lobe (vision), the frontal cortex (decisions), and the cerebellum (actually moving your fingers).

Which side of the brain is primarily being used?
Neither should be significantly more than the other. Maaaybe the right side of the brain, because the left hand has more movements involved.

Which muscles are in play here?
The majority would be done with the forearm muscle Flexor Pollicis Longus, which allows you to flex the thumb (thus hit the buttons).

<3

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Minimally? The premotor cortex (for the planning of movements), the occipital lobe (vision), the frontal cortex (decisions), and the cerebellum (actually moving your fingers).

Neither should be significantly more than the other. Maaaybe the right side of the brain, because the left hand has more movements involved.

The majority would be done with the forearm muscle Flexor Pollicis Longus, which allows you to flex the thumb (thus hit the buttons).

<3
Did you know all this? Or did you research online to answer those questions?

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I'm in medical school :D
No wonder! Oh my goodness you're in medical school? I'm a student in year 9 and i would like to get into medicine. Are you a good student at the medical school? Could you give me some advice in my career path? I want to get into medicine and want to know all about it and what my credentials should be before a medical college can accept me. I haven't done my GCSEs or A levels yet but we have to choose our ambitions at this point

Thanks

Boofy!

Smash Champion

<3
<.<

>.>

...showoff ;p

Salty123

Smash Apprentice
sooooooo, when someone grabs you, every so often the grab seems to break instantly without the ability to throw the person or to pumell. what is this?

infomon

Smash Scientist
That happens when an external factor like the stage messes it up. Like if you're on pokémon stadium and there's a transition change, then your grab will just magically break apart.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
That happens when an external factor like the stage messes it up. Like if you're on pokémon stadium and there's a transition change, then your grab will just magically break apart.
That's happened to me before on Smashville....

Smoom77

Smash Master
As an ICs main, I'm trying to debate on an online community whether to ban CGs to 6 alts. I was saying how that it's practically impossible to buffer CGs online therefore you CAN mash out of them a majority of the time online. I was going to add some frame data as to how many frames you have until you can mash out. Where can I find this?

Boofy!

Smash Champion
okayz so this isn't so much a question as it is a DEMAND!

someone link me to the " attacks that jab lock" thread?

I've been playing againt a buddy of mine using a few low tiers chars that i know for certain can jab lock, but the only one i seem to be able tos etup with is lucas (dair ftw)..

soooo a informative thread or video explaining ALL the casts' jab locks would be swelll! =)

eliminatio

Smash Rookie
umm, hi i'm new. i was wondering if someone could tell me some tricks tactics, and srategys for peach in super smash bros. Brawl

Link2112

Smash Rookie
what exactly does pivot grab mean, or pivoting in general. Is it like a side dodge or a spot dodge or what?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
a pivot grab (not to be confused with a pivot) is when you do a running grab, and hit backwards immediately to do a special grab that turns you around. A pivot is turning around into your standing animation during a dash.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
what exactly does pivot grab mean, or pivoting in general. Is it like a side dodge or a spot dodge or what?
Pivot.

When you flip yourself like a mirror [without a turn around animation].

A pivot grab is when you "Flip yourself like a mirror." but you are grabbing out of it.

Just to simplify things.

EDIT: lol too late.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Edited....... because I feel bad for not knowing what this is.

Yep, the Wikia, sure enough, would have been the ideal pace to look....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom