• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
What I'd really like to know is how many frames wobble animation lasts...not so much as the Link part. Is that known yet?

Ugawa

Smash Rookie
Pikachu DSmash

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, but how do you DI out of Pikachu's Dsmash? (Before the knockback)

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, but how do you DI out of Pikachu's Dsmash? (Before the knockback)
SDI up. I usually rotate the joystick up and left or right while tapping up on the Cstick.

Mostly, just do lots of upwards SDI inputs.

infomon

Smash Scientist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6V4HDXpFIo

also works w/ fox shine, from what i hear.
No no no no!

Watch that vid very carefully. And I guess I should have clarified myself better in my own vids to try and prevent this confusion. (This is the grey area where the like of ColinJF are smarter than me.)

I usually say things like "your horizontal aerial control has no effect during knockback" or "you can't normally use Jumps or Specials during knockback". That's not quite true. If you don't do anything to break out of hitstun, you'll notice that at the point at time in which your hitstun naturally comes to an end, knockback isn't quite over. At the very point in time at which hitstun ends, you're in your "tumble" state (whether or not it looks like it yet), your aerial drift matters, and you can use your full moveset.... even though you're still travelling away from the stage! It's not real knockback anymore, it's a little bit of leftover velocity away from the stage that counts in some sense as being under your own control.

In that vid, the amount of knockback from the attack was weak enough that even though she tried to use an aerial to break out of hitstun early, she wasn't able to neutral-B much, if at all, earlier than she would have by just waiting it out. Chances are that simply angling the control-stick towards the stage ("n00b-DI") would have afforded her as much safety from the horizontal killzone as that reverse neutral-B. Hmmm, well maybe not; I'll test that tonight.

But it's almost irrelevant, because the point I'm making is if she'd started her neutral-B earlier while she was under real knockback, it wouldn't have worked (and maybe would've even pushed her off to her death like the first time). It would take a big stage and a high-knockback move to even be able to pull that off, though, because all her aerials are so slow.

My guess is that's the same for Fox -- that his aerials are slow enough that ppl haven't done proper tests with enough knockback. Then again, the less-knockback scenario is more common in real brawls, so if the B-reversal IS better than her drift towards the stage, and you're able to tell that using an early jump will necessarily kill you off the top of the stage AND that drifting towards the stage won't be enough AND that you can time the B-reversed neutral-B properly so you're starting it while you're under the "false" end-of-knockback stage (easy to do by simply NOT having used an aerial to escape hitstun early -- of course, this means you can't benefit from its early fastfalling either)..... then this technique might help in rare situations for a few %??

I think. Of course, you're welcome to run your own tests.

:054:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I read somewhere that "Every character can DACUS"

I can't seem to do it with Samus or King Dedede. Is that quote true?
yeah but it depends on character's initial dash attack speed. samus and ddd's dacus are terrible and almost unnoticeable

Uffe

Smash Hero
hey some respond me how to do in this video of izaw link at 1:32 that in the corner and late zair edgeguarding and up how to do ?? sorry for my english :dizzy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0mL80jK8Pk&feature=related
It's just a regular tether. You can drop of the edge and quickly press Z.

any combos i can learn with mario out there?

any one?
You should be able to Grab > d-throw > u-tilt 2x. I don't know. It's just a thought. Mario can do some pretty amazing stuff with his uair. Try using that a number of times in a row.

sebas_iglesias

Smash Rookie
yes i can drop of the edge and quickly press Z but izaw late down a fair i quickly z twice and yes edguarding is ok but late drop from the edge and jump and do a fair ??? or not

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
yes i can drop of the edge and quickly press Z but izaw late down a fair i quickly z twice and yes edguarding is ok but late drop from the edge and jump and do a fair ??? or not
It's called ledgehopping.

Origanally posted by Sasook:

VI. The Edge

"There are several ways to get back on stage from the ledge - jump, A attack, roll, stand, and ledgehop. The first 4 are self-explanatory, the last takes some getting used to.

-Ledgehopping: Ledgehopping is the best way to get back on stage, hands down. It's the safest and most reliable. Ledgehopping is when Link lets go of the ledge, then uses his second jump to get back onto the stage. To do this, lightly press either back or down, then jump onto the stage. However, after the jump, Link doesn't HAVE to get back on stage. He can stall there with those ledgehops if he wants.
Ledgehopped Forward Airs: This is a very safe method of returning to the stage. After pressing back, jump and press forward+A (it's easier than using the C-stick for this). The trick to getting both swipes in is to be very fast, almost as if you are hitting all the inputs at the same time. Back or down -> jump -> forward+A. What's more, forward air has very little landing lag, so a shield is possible right after landing.

Ledgehopped Boomerangs: Another safe way of getting back on, this is mostly used to mix things up. It can be used to set up jab locks, even. The timing is just a little different than the forward air in the sense that it has to be done slower. Back or down -> jump -> wait til Link is above the stage -> boomerang throw.

If done at the same time, Link might actually wavebounce a little and move away from the stage. Mixing these up with forward airs is highly useful.

Ledgehopped Airdodges: This is THE SAFEST way of getting back on. After ledgehopping, airdodging provides almost no chance of getting hit whatsoever. Great for using at high percents, very hard to punish. Back or down -> jump -> airdodge. It's a great way to get back on, especially if the opponent is pressuring at the ledge.

Ledgehopped Bombthrows: This can be somewhat useful, but can be punished too. Ledgehopped bombs are basically coming back onto the stage while throwing a bomb to protect yourself. While this might sound ok, if the opponent shields the bomb, Link is wide open to a smash. Use this rarely.

Ledgehopped ZACs: Similar to the ledgehopped bombthrows, this is actually involvings dropping a bomb on the ledge itself from ledgehopping, then doing a ledgehopped forward air back onto the stage. Looks cool, but it's risky, and hard to pull off in a match.

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPdG9bGq7iE

Ledgehopped Arrows/Arrow Cancels: This one is sort of tricky, like doing the ledgehopped neutral air because of the lack of holding forward. So you have to hold forward enough to get back on stage, but not enough so that it still registers as a neutral.

To be honest, ledgehopped arrows and ledgehopped arrow canceling doesn't really provide any good results. Avoid using this, as it doesn't do much to help in the first place.
Auto-canceled Down Airs: Obviously, ledgehops can't be used every single time or else the opponent will figure out a counter to it. Sometimes using the jump can be useful because a jump from the ledge, followed by another jump, followed by a down air actually auto cancels if you don't fast fall it. Very good to use, just not too often. Keep this move a surprise. Just remember to do the down air at the same time as the second jump.

Z Air Edgeguards (Zedges): It was stated earlier that these can be done up to 3 times. Well, this technique doesn't only have its uses for edgehogging, it can be used for mindgames. One or two of these right before a ledgehopped forward air usually catches the opponent offguard, even if they're expecting it. Always do 1 or 2 of these before getting back on stage."

Oh and may I just ask why are you posting a Link question in the tactical forums. I suggest you come over to AiB with the rest of the real Link mains. http://allisbrawl.com/forum/forum.aspx?fid=22

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Quick question: How many frames of lag do you get AS SOON AS you powershield an attack? It's WAY less than a normal shield lag, but I wanna know the exact frames.

And also, how many frames are between powershielding an attack, and starting a grab? ... The IASA frames in the PS, I guess is a vague way to put it...

sebas_iglesias

Smash Rookie
hey thanks for the explanation i can do it :) hey the Reversed Bombsliding how exactly is it done is Dash > Cstick down > Z + Control Stick Up-Back Diagonally???? and the fakeout bombslide ?? what is the difference in the control buttons

GreyClover

Smash Apprentice
hey thanks for the explanation i can do it :) hey the Reversed Bombsliding how exactly is it done is Dash > Cstick down > Z? + Control Stick Up-Back Diagonally???? and the fakeout bombslide ?? what is the difference in the control buttons
You're welcome :p

Originally posted by Sasook:

Bombsliding

Learning Curve: *****
Application Difficulty: *****
Usefulness: ***

My personal favorite of the advanced techniques, this is probably the most underrated of them all. Let me make this clear - bombsliding at will to its fullest potential is not easy. The learning curve is ridiculous, so I have a tip. Turn tap jump off. This helps, tremendously.

Of course, it requires a lot of focus even with tap jump off. The results, however, are very rewarding. So, onwards we go:

A bombslide is Link's version of a glide toss. Link, however, being so advanced with all his techniques, actually has 5 different types. Yes, that's right, 5.

So let's go through the 5:

-A normal bombslide (upthrow fakeout)

Take out a bomb, and input the controls for a DAC. If done correctly, Link will, all at the same time, slide forward, throw the bomb forward, and then do an up throw motion afterwards. Relatively easy to learn, the easiest out of all of them. The only uses I find for this are maybe mindgames when underneath a platform on Battlefield. This would be, by far, the least used bombslide.

-Upthrow bombslide

One of my favorites, it's great for juggling. You can use this as an edgeguard too, similarly to how Snake players use their up smash at the edge when edgeguarding, because the arc fo the bomb will actually pass the ledge just barely if done correctly. Not to mention it's hard for an opponent to see coming as opposed to you following them underneath and them watching you. So, to perform this technique:

The input controls are the same as the upthrow fakeout. So what's the difference, and how do we control it at will?

The difference is that, simply put, it's like doing a charged DAC. You know how on the DAC, if you hold Z instead of letting go, you slide forward while charging the up smash? Well, same thing here. You need to "charge the upsmash." Link will, 95% of the time, throw it up if this is done correctly. It requires practice, as all the bombslides do, but it's worth mastering.

-The "Glide Toss"

This is the glide toss copy, in which does quite literally, the same motion as a forward glide toss, but with different controls. To do this, you gotta input the controls, but instead of putting upZ, do a very slight up, and mostly forward. Like, diagonally forward, but more in the direction of the forward. As you bring that control stick to that angle, bring it fully forward as the bombslide is performed. Link will do a glide toss, if done correctly.

This is a pretty useful technique. Link players are always searching for some type of approach. This, at times, can be used as one. You can follow this up with like a forward smash or something. Play with it yourselves, see what you like, be creative. Bombslides are versatile.

-The Reverse Bombslide

My specialty. I LOVE this bombslide. Learn it, master it, use it. It's highly, highly underrated. It's perfect for retreating while keeping the opponent away from you, and out of all the bombslides, it's the hardest to punish. Reason being, you wont ever get caught in the explosion while moving away because of the slide. So it moves you out of range while attacking. It's awesome, utilize this.

So how do we do this?

You need to apply knowledge of both the "glide toss" bombslide and the upthrow one. Let me tell you, this is the hardest to master out of all of them.

Basically, instead of doing a slightly upZ and mostly forward Z, it's a slightly up and mostly backwards Z. That's applying the knowledge of the "glide toss" version. Now another thing that you need to know is that again, it's like charging a smash. Except this time, it's charging a side smash in the opposite direction, rather than charging an up smash. That's applying the knowledge of the upthrow one (the charging smash part).

So a recap - get a bomb, dash, C-stick down, immediately do backwards + UpZ and rotate to fully backwards, and while doing that, hold Z and back as if charging a sidesmash. This is, by far, the hardest of them all to master. If you master it, kudos, because using this in battle can be deadly for the opponent.

-The Reverse Fakeout Bombslide

The last of the five, you'll probably get this very often when learning and practicing the reverse bombslide. This is exactly the same as the reverse, except Link throws the bomb forward even though he's going backwards. In other words, he'll look like he throws a bomb to the right and slides to the left in a retreating manner, but the bomb will go left. The difference is that this is like a normal bombslide's timing, and the reverse's is like the upthrow's timing. If you don't charge it, it could go this way.

This isn't too useful, except maybe for setting up reverse down tilt spikes, shown in the set up video above. It could be used for mindgames, but the opponent usually pays attention to the bomb, not to Link's motion.

Remember, all of these require a lot of focus, making the application difficulty skyrocket. Doing them in the heat of a battle is tough. Lots of practice is required, it's not as easy as learning a DAC. These are highly underrated, and I encourage you to utilize them.

Here's a video of all the bombslides: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nq9_CQNTYs

Here's a tutorial vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjdQY5SOqEE

SCOTU

Smash Hero
would it be better to normal sdi or qcdi ROB's dsmash? or just any multihit moves in general?
qcdi is a specific implementation of SDI. Claiming that qcdi is better than SDI is like claiming that 720p is better than High Definition (even if one likes 720p better than all the alternative HD standards).

If your question then becomes is it better to keep SDIing in the same direction or to quarter circle DI, then it's really mostly a personal preference. If you have slow fingers, you may find it faster to rotate the control stick to give you multiple inputs, but if your fingers are fast, you may find you can SDI in the same direction just as fast, but more comfortably.

can somebody please tell me which control method is best :)
whichever method is most comfortable to you that gives you good access to all the controls.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
I have just a few.

I tend to become pressured when I am either being stocked or am at a high percentage, how can I keep my cool?

The other is how can I upload my replays? it seems as though the replays only work on the wii and I want some people to see my vids so they can help me.

Thanks!

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
just one more.

I main Pika and am having trouble landing the kill. I can proficeintley do no lag arials, RAR, QAC, but it just seems my head gets clustered when going through all the technical moves Pika has and makes it dificult for me to just land that one good hit. I usualy get my opponet to about 160 before a KO ensues, any advice?

Oreos

Smash Apprentice
forever zero to keep your cool when your at high percents and your opponent is at low percents (like right after you get a kill) i just like to play it safe watch for the character your playing's kill moves. ex: vs a wolf just keep about a roll distance from you and wolf and bait the f smash they'll be desperate to get the kill and tie it up so you bait it and punish. They also like to dsmash so rolling into them is a no-no. With Falco you can just camp for a bit or cg them to camp. If you get killed its no biggy your back to even and can work your way back up.

Replays are only an information file and since there are no emulators a replay is only an information file and can't be transferred to your comp and be uploaded to youtube (darn).

Getting the kill is just about mindgamez for me, atleast, OoS upsmash works wonders reverse jc upsmash pika's f smash is pretty good when spaced. honestly I'm not a pika main so I'm not sure how best to address the kill options for it.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
nair. off stage works best.
thunder.
upsmash.
fsmash but it's slow so don't rely on it.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Thanks alot spelt and Oreos. I havent practiced spacing with pikas f smash that much so ill give that a shot. I usualy just try to avoid it cuz my wolf freind would just roll behind me and Dsmash me to death.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Oreos, I have a pretty noobish question but how exactly does baiting work. Ive read alot of guides that talk about it but how. For ex, say the wolf situatuon. He's desprete to land that kill, so when he gets close and uses Dsmash, I shield and use Fsmahs, but he usualy brings his shield up and the lag on Pikas Fsmash lets his Dsmash hit first. How would I bait that?

infomon

Smash Scientist
You have to hit something. I'm not sure on all the nitpicky details though. Hitting stage hazard things works; pretty much anything that causes hitlag... like the statues on Castle Siege, or the ..... goopy-things on brinstar. HTH

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Quick question: How many frames of lag do you get AS SOON AS you powershield an attack? It's WAY less than a normal shield lag, but I wanna know the exact frames.

And also, how many frames are between powershielding an attack, and starting a grab? ... The IASA frames in the PS, I guess is a vague way to put it...
Just in case anyone saw this... I'd really like to know the answer to these, seeing as they're nowhere to be found, thank you very much. :dizzy:

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
DI Question:

Let's say you get hit by Snakes Up-Tilt or some other move really that kills you UP WARD. The worst thing you could do is to not DI at all and get hit straight up allowing quicker deaths or pressing straight up which would probably result in the same thing, right?

The question IS....if I hold straight down on an up-killing move will it set my trajectory at it's maximum horizontally? Hopefully, you guys know what I'm talking about....I'm not saying that holding down prevents you from going farther up or anything....

infomon

Smash Scientist
Just in case anyone saw this... I'd really like to know the answer to these, seeing as they're nowhere to be found, thank you very much. :dizzy:
I'm curious too, but I don't have the frame hack anymore, I'll see if I can get it back lolz

DI Question:

Let's say you get hit by Snakes Up-Tilt or some other move really that kills you UP WARD. The worst thing you could do is to not DI at all and get hit straight up allowing quicker deaths or pressing straight up which would probably result in the same thing, right?

The question IS....if I hold straight down on an up-killing move will it set my trajectory at it's maximum horizontally? Hopefully, you guys know what I'm talking about....I'm not saying that holding down prevents you from going farther up or anything....
If it sends you straight up, then down-DI has no effect. afaik it's like this: If the move sends you in direction x, then you have the range (x - 90degrees) through (x + 90degrees) in which your controlstick matters. If it's beyond 180degrees (ie. trying to push at all in the opposite direction than where the attack wants to send you) then it's ignored. Your DI has the most impact if it's 90degrees to the attack trajectory -- although that's not always what you want.

Furthermore, note that Snake's Uptilt doesn't send you straight up (although yeah it's the vertical killzone that will probably kill you, depending on where on the stage you get hit etc.). So the optimal DI angle for a Snake Utilt will be ..... funny.

NNID
Budget_Player
I mostly play with my friends because of my addiction and lack of a Wii. And they range from decent (my friend Cookie in germany) to poor (Freddi) to scrub (Ez, who insists on items, turn stage selection from all available (including self-made) stages and then johns when I SHDL his *** to oblivion and back on eldin) to terrible (Nahum, who agrees to my rules and is willing to learn but is just downright bad at SSBB).

Now I'd like to focus on that last one. Are there any guides to helping someone who has accepted the SBR ruleset and a non-scrub mentality get better at the game? He doesn't know what he's doing and gets ***** as a result. But how can I try to help him get better?

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Now I'd like to focus on that last one. Are there any guides to helping someone who has accepted the SBR ruleset and a non-scrub mentality get better at the game? He doesn't know what he's doing and gets ***** as a result. But how can I try to help him get better?
Eh, my only advice is to just sit down and help him work on each and every one of the aspects of the game/his character. Help him learn how to create strings and play safely; have him watch some videos if he starts to improve, and introduce him to this site. That'd be a really good way for him to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom