• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fZk

Smash Lord
Infinite Emerald, to DI (Directional influence), from what I've read, you hold in the direction you want to DI to right when you get hit by a potential killing move. Though, I suggest you listen to others' opinions...I'm not exactly sure on it.

Ex. Kirby gets maimed by Ike's side-smash (For this example, left). I want to survive, so I hold Right when he hits me. This gives me a slightly better chance of surviving.

Also, you can quickly recover from the attack by doing your quickest aerial attack, then you can get to Recovery.

Again...seek others' opinions, I may be far from the truth.
Yes, you are not correct. Holding the opposite direction to which you're launched does not make you DI, you have to hit the direction perpendicular to your trajectory. Both you and Inf. Emerald should checkout swodgards guide on DI.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969

There you will find what you need.

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
Can Ankoku please explain why "Hardest Two Characters to Main Simultaneously" was locked while "Worst Move in the Game" was not?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Can Ankoku please explain why "Hardest Two Characters to Main Simultaneously" was locked while "Worst Move in the Game" was not?
I think talk about the maining of characters is forbidden here, as they're too character specific and should be in a character board.

C.J.

Smash Master
What determines how much priority a move has? I had assumed it was based mainly on a move's strength, but, I saw in the smashworkshop that they said that priority is really weird in brawl, so I'm assuming there's more to it than just that.

infomon

Smash Scientist
What determines how much priority a move has? I had assumed it was based mainly on a move's strength, but, I saw in the smashworkshop that they said that priority is really weird in brawl, so I'm assuming there's more to it than just that.
wowwwww this is a fun question :)

Priority is about hitbox/hurtbox interactions. In general, if a hitbox hits your hurtbox you get hurt (and maybe go into hitlag and/or hitstun), so the relative sizes of hitboxes as well as the speed at which they come out as well as the same rates for your respective hurtboxes (since attacks tend to move your hurtboxes around funny) matter for the perception of priority. The speed at which your character's moving will also matter :) (yay sonic lol)

More interesting are hitbox vs. hitbox interactions. In Brawl there are several categories of moves that determine how these scenarios are resolved. If you get two Link Fsmash hitboxes to overlap before either Link's hurtbox was reached by the move, you'll notice it will "clash" (you'll see a little "clash bubble" appear somewhere in the interim space), and both Links will quickly reset to a neutral state. Determining a priori which moves will clash against each other on which frames and whether or not one or both of the characters will reset (or proceed with their attack animation), and whether or not the hitbox will be cancelled (if it is still able to damage the opponent) requires learning a crazy amount of nitpicky complications and exceptions.

Some guidelines:
Most aerials do not clash vs. other aerials; ex. Uairs vs. Dairs, it's just a matter of reaching the other's hurtbox first. If both reach, both get hurt lol.

Olimar's aerials do clash, cuz they're pikmin lol, which are sort of like projectiles in some priority-ish sense. Except his Nair, which doesn't have pikmin lol.

Many specials (like Zelda's fireball) can clash against aerials; Sonic's Fair beats the fireball, for example. The aerial's hitbox will be cancelled, but in multi-hit moves (like Sonic's Fair, hence the example), follow-up hitboxes will still be able to damage the opponent.

Ground moves, in general, clash and reset both chars to neutral if the hitboxes would cause within 10% damage of each other, if they were to hit the opposing character.

If one ground hitbox does more than 10% damage than the other, the other will clash and the char will (probably, there are a few exceptions) reset to neutral, but the stronger-hitting char will continue through with their attack, probably thus hitting the opponent and damaging them (its hitbox is not cancelled) (you still might miss due to spacing or w/e, and the "reset" opponent can counterattack faster because their attack didn't follow-through any lol)

None of MK's ground moves clash against anything, except for his dash-attack. Funny tho, his Glide-attack does clash against anything, even aerials. He has "transcendent priority" on his ground moves; it's basically the same as lasers that go through anything.

ROB's Fsmash, Ness' Fair, some of TLink's aerials, and a bunch of other random stuff has "transcendent priority" as well.

Wait, but how does Ness' Fair have transcendent priority? It's just an aerial that can't clash with anything, right? Wrong. Ness' Fair can't destroy Snake's mortar, which is one crazy-unique object in this game. Most aerials can destroy the mortar. MK's can't lol. All of Sonic's can :)

MK's tornado has categorically different priority mechanics when it is on the ground, than when it's in the air. On the ground it can clash, in the air it cannot.

That's some random stuff off the top of my head. Hope it helps :)

C.J.

Smash Master
lol, yes and no

Yes you answered what I asked really well, great job

I wasn't clear at all with my question, lol. I know the basics like you said. The different kinds of priority and the such. My real question is about this part:
crazy amount of nitpicky complications and exceptions.
Basically, what causes the exceptions to be exceptions?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
what's this I hear about characters being able to go into the z-plane (rather than the x and y-plane)?

I hear its like how luigi can avoid lasers by using fireballs because his face goes to the side

SCOTU

Smash Hero
while i've never heard of anyone using the zplane to dodge something, hitboxes/hurtboses have all been 3d since Melee, and there is slight zplane movement. I've just never heard of anything big enough to dodge something

speed of sound

Smash Rookie
hey sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but i am new to the website and i main toon link and i am wondering which stages would be best for me to play on

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the only thing that i consider to be z-plane movement is stuff that makes you invincible, like rolls, spotdodges and air dodges

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
the only thing that i consider to be z-plane movement is stuff that makes you invincible, like rolls, spotdodges and air dodges
But only specific spotdodges (DeDeDe's for example) disappear into the "Z-axis" which is supposedly a depth into the background. Rolls and AD's still keep you in the natural X & Y.

Salty123

Smash Apprentice
this is gonna be really obvious but can someone give me a link to a thread about DI. I really need to work on it.

YUNq PHR3$H

Smash Journeyman
Okay You Know How People Upload Matches Right, Well Instead Of Having The Link To The Site They Have A Title Like Diddy Vs Falco To Go Over The Link. How Do I Do That ?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well, when you post, theres a button that says add link at the top. You click on it, copy the link into the box and then hit enter. What happens in that something like [ URL ] blahblahblahblah [ /URl ] appears.

Inside all the blahblah's, youll see your link address twice. Just highlight the second one and change it to whatever you want to appear. You can make it bold, change color/font etc.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
But only specific spotdodges (DeDeDe's for example) disappear into the "Z-axis" which is supposedly a depth into the background. Rolls and AD's still keep you in the natural X & Y.
Rolls/Air dodges/ etc, don't affect your z-plane stuff in any non-normal way, and it's not why you're invincible. You're invincible because your hurtboxes get deactivated during your invincibility window. While the animation may put you farther back, it has nothing to do w/ your invincibility.

Tesh

Smash Hero
How long are you stunned when footstooled while standing on the ground? Is it character specific?

minford10

Smash Cadet
Is there a specific way to button mash to get out of a grab?

Do you just stick to a b z l and r or do you also use the c stick and the control stick. I wasn't sure if you are trying to just press as many buttons as possible in the smallest amount of time or if there were a select few buttons to press.

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
what's this I hear about characters being able to go into the z-plane (rather than the x and y-plane)?

I hear its like how luigi can avoid lasers by using fireballs because his face goes to the side
I also know that Charizard´s sweetspot on Nair is somewhere more deeper in Z-plane, so you can hit only SOME characters with that. weird.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Is there a specific way to button mash to get out of a grab?

Do you just stick to a b z l and r or do you also use the c stick and the control stick. I wasn't sure if you are trying to just press as many buttons as possible in the smallest amount of time or if there were a select few buttons to press.
if you don't care about airbreaking, rotate the control stick in a circle, while sliding your thumb across the face buttons back and forth and press l/r/z as much as you can not in rhythm with the face button presses.

if you must avoid airbreaking, then your best bet is to 1/2 circle the control stick from left to right and back going through the down position. and on the cstick, go back and forth through the center. mash l/r/z as best you can.

infomon

Smash Scientist
That depends on tap-jump setting though, right? I mean, if tap jump is off, hitting up on the control stick can't cause an air-release, right? (I hope lol)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i'm not sure about that. I haven't done extensive testing w/ tap jump vs no tap jump. But i do know that there are very non-intuitive controls with holding the cstick in a direction while tap jump is off. Don't remember the exact effect though.

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
When a multi hit move hits a shield (i.e. kirby fair), are the shield stun lag frames cumulative or are they reset each hit? Also, is the amount of shielstun frames constant for all attacks, and if so how much frames, or are they proportional to power of the hit, and if so how can this amount be derived?

o_0

SCOTU

Smash Hero
When a multi hit move hits a shield (i.e. kirby fair), are the shield stun lag frames cumulative or are they reset each hit? Also, is the amount of shielstun frames constant for all attacks, and if so how much frames, or are they proportional to power of the hit, and if so how can this amount be derived?

o_0
it resets for each new hit. It's a function of the damage the attack deals (some moves may opt to specify a different amount). It can be derived by finding the (probably simple linear) equation between damage and shieldstun. That is, if it's anything like in melee (which i'm pretty sure it is).

specopsgrunt117

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, it depends on your own level of skill. I practice against level 9 myself. However, nothing beats practicing against other human players as NPCs are limited in their creativity.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
How many frames is wobble animation? Or whatever it's called after you get knocked down on your back where you bounce for a little bit?

Also...this might be a little bit of a stretch since it directly relates to Link...but how many frames does it take him to jab and then be able to follow it up with another jab without going into his second hit...(since it's more frames than all other characters)

This is directly related to me wanting to learn about jab locking and he has a pretty tight space for when he can jab lock since his first jab lasts so **** long...I'd love to know the frame data of how many frames you have to jab...walk and have your second jab disappear by the time you walk up to them to do another jab...since his is one of the hardest in the game compared to the easy ones like mario / sonic / kirby etc etc.

In essence I wanna know how big that window is before they get up versus how long you have to estimate until he won't double jab....(I know you can crouch cancel it but that stops you from moving across the stage with them). How many frames do you have on your slack of rope in other words for it.

Laem

Smash Champion
Why is page 136 on display while 135 is the last?!

You know how b-reversal reverses momentum? What happens when you B-reversal when being launched, not reducing momentum by jumping, but reversing it(would be epic)? Probably nothing, but one can dream, also too lazy to test myself :laugh:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Grahf: idk, sorry. good question though. we all need more frame data.

Laem: In all my experiments (which have just been on a handful of chars, not the full roster), b-reversal momentum-shifty properties have no effect while you're under knockback momentum. Sorry ;)

finalmixed

Smash Rookie
Which is the best way for me to conquer the ledge, as it seems I have problem with the ledge... I have problems edge grabbing and also getting to the darn thing! I know for a fact the one reason I lose so much because I'm stupid about jumping off the ledge... What is the best way for me to conquer my arch nemesis?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
at grahf, that question would be better off asked in the link boards...

but since everyone important in the link section of this site moved over to AiB, you should go to the Link section in that site.
www.allisbrawl.com

Laem
for your spoiler question:
Somebodys accont was probably perma banned and deleted, which deletes all of thats accounts posts. so that persons posts in this thread were deleted. the page counter still counts the posts of that person but they dont show up and all the other posts are moved back to fill the empty space. does that make sence?

as to the other question. theres a youtube video floating around in japanese of a Zelda doing just that to cancel momentum ask the zelda boards, ive been looking for like half an hour and i cant find it

infomon

Smash Scientist
as to the other question. theres a youtube video floating around in japanese of a Zelda doing just that to cancel momentum ask the zelda boards, ive been looking for like half an hour and i cant find it
and I'd love to see this vid too, since I've tried this a bunch with zelda and never got anything lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom