• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KerrydeLuca

Smash Rookie
I want to play competitively, but unfortunately I suck. So I want a main with a low learning curve... any suggestions? Any characters in particular that I should avoid?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I want to play competitively, but unfortunately I suck. So I want a main with a low learning curve... any suggestions? Any characters in particular that I should avoid?
If your main goal is to do well in tournaments, then just go with MK (or any of the top tiers, really). You aren't going to get good with any character without getting good practice and experience in.
Avoid ICs.
Otherwise, just use whoever you like most.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Z-axis. What part is it in brawl? :V I don't quite know what it is.
The Z-axis is quite simple, really.

Imagine the game as a 2D fighting game, as in, only having 2 dimensions... Attacks hit behind, up, in front, and downwards. Some are projectiles, which move across the 2D plane where characters can move around and jump and shield and dodge... But, some aspects of this game can go a bit further than that. How, exactly?

Well, let's say you're DDD, since he's the best example. When he spotdodges, your character's body is OUT of the 2D layer where attacks travel through. In other words, he will evade attacks that travel in the 2D layer even when his invincibility frames run out. How great is this, right? Well, it's also quite punishable, but only by a couple of moves, I'm afraid, and only 3D moves, as in, all 3 metric dimensions... Some moves, like Pikachu's dsmash, can attack both the 2D AND 3D layers, punishing DDD's spotdodge when it runs out of invincibility frames and still is in the z-axis.

So, it's just another way of saying: you dodged the attack. But instead of dodging it by jumping over it or rolling or spotdodging/airdodging, you dodged it by moving next to it and then back. Luigi's B special, Ness's fsmash, Wario's 2nd jump and nair, and a couple of other moves, move the character into the z-axis and help them evade incoming attacks that are 2D.

It's such a minor thing to worry about during a match, so don't worry much about it.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Certain moves in brawl apprently move into the Z-axis instead of staying on the typical x-y axis the characters move on. That's about all I know of it, and not really sure how it effects gameplay, if any. That's why I asked.
This is an interesting question. We typically think of Smash just as a purely 2D fighter in a 3D game engine. afaik, the third dimension ("z-axis") never matters for any physics / priority / game mechanics -- or if it does, it's amazingly subtle.

I suppose your question can reduce to: what is the shape of a hitbox (or hurtbox) in Brawl? I don't know if anyone knows how they are defined by the game engine; but possibly some of the homebrew Brawl hackers have it figured out.

For example, one possibility is that all hitboxes/hurtboxes are 3D boxes that can be rotated around the z-axis. In this case, they might as well all be 2D hitboxes; the z-axis cannot come into play. The z-axis is irrelevant so long as all the hitboxes in the game (whatever their shape) have their extremities along the same x-y plane. If that makes any sense?

So for example, Sonic's Fsmash. If Sonic punched with his right arm straight from his shoulder, then you could have two Sonics Fsmash at each other at such a distance that their arms would overlap visually but neither fist would reach the other's face, so neither would get hurt (lol).
Now, it happens that Sonic's Fsmash punches at the centre of his (and everyone else's) body. So we can't tell from that one. And no example of the z-axis not mattering proves that it never matters. So idk.

Is there a thread that mentions a bit more of this, such as the moves that this can applied? I'm guessing the information on Z axis for moves earned itself a thread somewhere.

My searches with the search engine here have proven unsuccessful which is why I asked about the Z axis here in the first place.

infomon

Smash Scientist
No, like, I don't think any such move exists in the game. I feel rather confident that even if the game is processing the collisions in 3D, that it doesn't ever matter because the hitboxes are all convex polygons with their extremities all within the same xy plane. It's a hunch, but I don't think I've ever observed an interaction which was z-axis dependent.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
...I think there was a thread talking about Charizard's Nair sweetspot (or sourspot maybe) being involved with the Z-axis, but that was a few months ago and it'd be kind of hard to find now.

I know it was looked into a while back though, I definitely remember the thread.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Lol, Z-axis > Mr. Game and Watch

All of Mr. Game and Watched moves are 2D, so that affects his game a bit with character matchups, since he cant punish anything that moves in the Z-axis.

NNID
Budget_Player
Metaknight is a good suggestion. Even at low levels of play, Metaknight shines as an "easy" char. If you work on spacing his attacks correctly and learning how to guess how your opponent is going to recover, there's not that much more needed to get to a moderately high level of play to him. At the same time, there's a lot of depth behind that for when you want to take it to the next level.

Also very easy is King DDD. At least, with him, the game plan is very simple... Okay. Maybe not that simple. But King DDD is not very hard to play, comparitively.

Mr. Game and Watch is/was infamous for having a ridiculously low learning curve. Seriously, this char has one advanced technique.

Marth is slightly harder than the above, but I believe that what you need to know more than anything with Marth will help make other chars easier; like Metaknight. You need to learn good spacing. Which is tricky with marth.

For the best chance of winning, I suggest MK.

Also, look at the individual character boards for suggestions.

KerrydeLuca

Smash Rookie
On platforms, when I input "down," sometimes I crouch, at other times I go through the platform. Why? Does it have to do with whether I "tilt" or "smash" the analog stick?

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
My freind likes to use Captain Falcon, and I want to go to a 2 v 2 tournament with him. Neither of us have been to a tournamnet, nor do we play competivley. I was wondering, who would be a good person to use alongside his Falcon? I main Pika but I dont know if they are a good combo. Ive started playing more intensivley, but we both dont play competitvely. Any suggestions?

My freind likes to use Captain Falcon, and I want to go to a 2 v 2 tournament with him. Neither of us have been to a tournamnet, nor do we play competivley. I was wondering, who would be a good person to use alongside his Falcon? I main Pika but I dont know if they are a good combo. Ive started playing more intensivley, but we both dont play competitvely. Any suggestions?
If it's an easy tournament with not many competitive people there, it probably won't matter who you use. It's best to use you are best with in that situation I suggest. And pikachu does fine in doubles anyway.

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
Wheres a thread I can learn more about how to texture hack and implement codes into regular Brawl like Infinite Replays / Name Tag Hack / Specific Character Texture ( not all pleeease ) Hacks / Stage Texture Hacks etc?

Second question...how would I set my own music for my stage selections since I don't want to use a defaulted one made by someone else? I totally wanna add like my own music in for when I'm playing WiFi...like real life music coupled with the game music.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Use Pikachu and practice this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8104088&postcount=14

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
I played a friend today who mains Mario. I won against him most of the time, but he likes to spot dodge alot. I;m not familiar in playing opponets who spot dodge rather than shield. What tends to happen is ill try to attack and his spot dodge enables him to quickly follow up with a down smash. ANy suggestions on how to punish the spot dodge?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I played a friend today who mains Mario. I won against him most of the time, but he likes to spot dodge alot. I;m not familiar in playing opponets who spot dodge rather than shield. What tends to happen is ill try to attack and his spot dodge enables him to quickly follow up with a down smash. ANy suggestions on how to punish the spot dodge?
If you know he's going to spot dodge, bait it, then wait for it to finish and punish it. Don't throw out attacks if you know he'll spot dodge them.

Marthos

Smash Journeyman
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I've looked around the boards for a while and couldn't find the answer to a question:

How does one perform ftilt/utilt/jab out of shield?

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
How do you ledgehop Bair? lol I can do it with some characters but I couldn't tell you how =P
You drop down, hold away from the ledge and jump, then attack towards the stage. You'll do a bair. For characters with wall jumps, you can drop down, wall jump, then bair towards the stage.

MusicGamer

Smash Rookie
I keep seeing references to the term "edgeguarding," but I don't really know what that is. Is is just hanging onto the edge of a stage so that your opponent can't, or am I misinterpreting this completely?

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I keep seeing references to the term "edgeguarding," but I don't really know what that is. Is is just hanging onto the edge of a stage so that your opponent can't, or am I misinterpreting this completely?
Edgeguarding is simply attacking or spiking or doing whatever you can to your opponent to prevent him from recovering back to the stage. Hanging onto the ledge to prevent your opponent from doing so is called edgehogging.

Its more difficult to do with some characters than others, but you can quickly drop down from the stage to the ledge in order to abuse the invincibility frames you get on the ledge. But you don't want to stay on the ledge too long, because once your Invincibility frames run out, you can knocked off, and even KO'd by an attack from your opponent.

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
What's bucket-breaking exactly?
Basically, when G&W does his Bdown, the bucket, he stops moving

So basically, bucket breaking is using Bdown while flying off stage to stop before you reach the blast lines

*looks for video explaining it*

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
SDIing the KO moves

I wanna know how to SDI various kill moves so I could perhaps live for a bit longer. I could use QCDI if i trained a LOT.

So firstly what's my best option to SDI mainly vertical killers like DK's upsmash or Peach's?

What's my best option to SDI mainly horizontal killers like Kirby's non-angled fsmash or Ike's sidesmash?

I just wanna know how to do this during hitlag, also exactly when the hitlag frames are around, so I can train this. I dunno maybe I can do this against some noobs in basic brawl, it'll surprise them if I can live until 200%!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom