• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Anyone have any advice as to how to teach a new player how to play? My friend has the target of getting really good really fast with Toon Link; unfortunately last I saw him he really, really needs help. How do I teach him?
Maybe useful to know that he doesn't really like going 1v1 against me because he really doesn't like losing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and he doesn't speak english. >.<
Well, i've got nothing to deal with the "not speaking english" part, but I've already done my best to answer questions on how to get as good as you can as quickly as you can:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226635

x3AlexSaysRawr

Smash Rookie
Need Help

Okay, so I'm new to the whole competitive scene. I used to play Brawl a lot, but then we lost touch. And now, after getting my a*s kicked over Wi-Fi, I wish to become a competitive player.
I have 0 idea of what character I want to be and how I want to play. I know this may seem useless if I asked you what character I should be with no idea of my own, but if you could just throw aroudn some ideas and give my the link to some character guides from the SmashBoards, That would be helpful.
Thank you!

B!squick

Smash Master
Don't take WiFi into account for anything that's concerned with the competitive scene.

As for picking a character, that's up to you. Each is distinct so it shouldn't be too hard. I guess one thing you could do is check out the best of vids thread and start with the first one that makes you go, "I want to do that!"

Or you could just do like NinjaLink and master each character. :D

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
It's just a matter of time. Experiment with many characters, and don't write one off because your first impression is bad. Sometimes characters don't seem fun until you get into them more. For instance, I had absolutely no interest in Lucario. I tried him a little, didn't like him. I picked him up again, got a little more into him, and found that he really suits me.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I hated pikachu at right as I picked up brawl. I hated him after I learned how to QAC about 3 months ago and now I am getting into him as a possible CP (eventually..he still sucks balls). I get bored with characters very easily and I keep trying to switch but it was a good experience on what style I enjoy to play. Do experients and read the guides on their low and high level play for characters and see if their gameplay in theory fits your style, because if that doesn't there isn't a good chance it will in the game.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
if you really want to win and play competitively, play whoever you do best with. If you don't even know, just try out a bunch of different characters and see who you do best with. Don't worry about "Picking the wrong character" it's pretty easy to switch around who you play in brawl, esp. at low level. If you start playing one character, and realize you do better with another, or are unsatisfied with the character you're playing, try another character. The essence of playing competitively is finding out what you're doing right and wrong, and fixing the wrongs while improving the rights. Find who you do best with, and get to work!

Hey guys whats up :)

Recently, i've been playing with Marth and all. Eventually, i was training alot and 2 days ago a good friend came by (IStudying). He must be 1 of the best Smashers in my country. Anyway, we brawled some time and i noticed he was punishing my Rolls and when i was shielding, i got grabbed alot aswell! He told me my marth is to defensive. I think i play Marth like i'm playing DDD, which isn't good. Now i need some advice.

I want to stop Roll Dodging so much, i'm practicing to not roll dodge, but when i'm in a tough spot, where i think that my best option is rolling, i don't do it. However, i can't find an alternative for rolling. It's hard for me to use something else than Rolling. Also, i use my shield TOOO MUCH. Is there any way you guys can give me some advice and/or tips? I really need it.

Thnx in advance :D
It seems like the problem you have is you haven't quiet learned to space properly with Marth. It's sort of hard to tell without looking at it, but that is the impression I'm getting. If you learn to space properly with marth, and in reality any character, those problems should go away.

Typically spacing requires that you keep the opposition in front of you at all times. This means that you shouldn't give them the chance to roll behind you or anything else like that. Marth has excellent spacing. Good methods of spacing with Marth are SH/FH Fairs or couple of Dtilts hits. That all in combination with rolling backwards away from the oppoenet at time to reset spacing. Running backwards or walking backwards before turning around and using some attack are other methods of spacing.

That is the defensive stance using the "aim to miss" idea. If the opponent runs into your defensive method then you can switch to offensive and follow up with juggling the opponent or edgeguarding before getting that kill.

There is a guide somewhere that will explain what I am trying to get across more accurately.

NNID
Budget_Player

Boofy!

Smash Champion
I'm not entirely sure aside from starting positions but....

1) I think if two moves with matching priorities collide, the lower numbered port move would win...

2) Also kamikaze type moves.. (for example- Bowser side-B) If both player 1 and player 2 were playing as Bowser, and player 1 side-B'd player 2.. player 1 would win. But if player 2 side-B'd player 1, the match would go to sudden death.

someone correct me if I'm wrong.. for some reason I'm having a harder time then I thought I would trying to explain this..

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
How would one get that thing that lets you freeze brawl down to the frame and what is it called? Any smash researchers wanna help me out?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
How would one get that thing that lets you freeze brawl down to the frame and what is it called? Any smash researchers wanna help me out?
Use the following Ocarina codes with Gecko OS:

Code:
Debug Pause:-(GCC)
80000000 805B8A08
0402E5AC 8819000B
4A000000 804DE470
38000000 EFFF1000
86410000 00000001
E2000001 00000000
4A000000 805B8A08
3A000002 00FF0000
12000002 00000001
E2000001 00000000
4A000000 804DE470
38000000 FFEF0010
4A000000 805B8A08
3A000002 FF000000
12000002 00000100
E2000002 00000000

Press Start to freeze the game(don't worry, the music and sounds are unaffected).
Press Z to step through frame by frame.
Press Start again to unfreeze the game.
(The new Start command is X+D^)

Button Modifier:
041E6CD8 4BE1C128
041E6D1C 4BE1C114
06002E00 00000068
9421FF80 BC410008
7CE4402E 7CE738F8
7CE73039 3864FFC0
7CE3412E 7CC4412E
B8410008 38210080
60000000 481E3EB0
9421FF80 BC410008
7C03202E 3DC01000
7DCE70F8 7C007039
740E0408 3DE00408
7C0E7800 40820008
64001000 B8410008
38210080 481E3EBC

Must be used with the Debug Pause Code.

tito8888888

Smash Rookie
im having trouble maintaining my characters i play and get better with one i lose it with the other i main:snake,metaknight,wolf,ganondorf,and working on yoshi

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!

Marthos

Smash Journeyman
This might sound like a stupid and prediscussed question, but could someone tell me how to glide toss (specifically with ZSS)? I'm having trouble finding it on here.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
This might sound like a stupid and prediscussed question, but could someone tell me how to glide toss (specifically with ZSS)? I'm having trouble finding it on here.
Roll, and then throw quickly. Controls are for you to figure out how you like it best.

How come Sonic isn't as good at MK? He's way faster and has a homing attack.

:093:
because MK *****.

Has this ever happened to anyone before?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7oJHTawvKE
That works on skyworld too.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
When I'm hit with something that would send me off-stage, be it an attack that sends me to the side blast zone or an attack that would kill me off the top, I usually DI to the exact corner of the Blast zone when I can. Is this generally a good thing that I should keep doing? Or should I angle it just above or below the corner?

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
You want to get to the corner. Think of it as a rectangle, the longest distance from any point on stage is to the corner. Therefore, you will survive longer if you head towards the corner.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Actually no, it depends on your characters' momentum-cancelling strategy. For example, in many scenarios, you'll want your trajectory after DI to aim slightly above the corner -- because you're going to start fastfalling as soon as you can (by using an aerial to escape hitstun, say), and this will lower your trajectory slightly... so you want to reach the corner, which you accomplish by aiming a bit too high from the start.

But that might not actually be optimal.... when you start getting into using jumps/specials for momentum-cancelling, and the fact that airdodges can start (and sometimes end) sooner than aerials but can't be fastfalled, etc..... there are a ton of niggly*corner-cases that make it more difficult to say when and by how much you want to have DI'd towards not-quite-the-corner.

It is a fine art, indeed :)

B!squick

Smash Master
I know you can auto cancel attacks on a platform, but can you auto cancel when in hitstun or knockback?
Yes. I remember hearing that if you happen to get knocked back through a platform that moves, whether it's the SV or Lylat, you can tech on it by "landing" with the right timing. I'm not sure where the original thread is though.

Hmm... So it's moving stages only? That might explain why I dont' see this that often, or it's just super hard to do.

The siggy x.x

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
what is the exact reason why the ICs chaingrab has not been atleast limited or banned? i find it far more game breaking then Metaknight yet little has been done to access it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom