• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'll go check it with the AiB Links if you want. The Link boards here are a bit dead, so that not being updated could be a possibility.

Good job finding it on you own though, and thanks a TON for not making a thread.

Roxas M

Smash Master
Tap jump. Don't hold the button for as long. Notice how your character crouches down very quickly before jumping? If you let go of the button before that time, you will short hop.
thanks. i know it sounds like a noobish question but i have been watching some marth videos and they all short hop alot. i just couldn't figure out how they do that.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Everybody knows about things like sliding jab, sliding tilts, and sliding smashes, right? Running, pivoting, and executing a move resulting in sliding...Did everybody know that you can reverse all of these moves?
I'm talking about sliding backwards while performing any A move. Known?

ndayday

BRoomer
Everybody knows about things like sliding jab, sliding tilts, and sliding smashes, right? Running, pivoting, and executing a move resulting in sliding...Did everybody know that you can reverse all of these moves?
I'm talking about sliding backwards while performing any A move. Known?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure SamuraiPanda found that...I'll try to find a thread.

As for Wario's DAC, check the Wario boards and ask for their help in the Q&A. You'll get a way better response then here. :)

infomon

Smash Scientist
what does shff mean? and can someone tell me how to do it?
SHFF: Short-Hop, Fast-Fall

You do a fastfall by tapping down when you're in the air; usually you can only do this after the apex of your jump, I think... but if you're in knockback (after you get hit) then you can fastfall even while rising, which reduces your vertical trajectory :)

Noman

Smash Cadet
Do different strengths of hit-boxes have different counters for stale moves? For example, if I hit with Falcon's weak knee ten times in a row, is his strong knee still fresh? Or is it decayed?

Hence

Smash Ace
Suddenly I've realized that I can't stop airdodging before I hit the ground. Smart players punish me for it and reset the situation.

How should I go about combatting this habit?

rehab

Smash Journeyman
You mean like you panic and airdodge when you thought you should be attacking? Otherwise, airdodging into the ground doesn't inherently put you at any prone position. You can buffer it into shielding, and when you land not inputting anything besides movement after the airdodge you're in a neutral state.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Might be a dumb question as I play as neither character but what (apart from a couple moves) is the difference between Ness and Lucas? Lucas seems like a clone to me but debate about them sets them apart, just wanted to know why

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Alright so I read mookie's incredible playing to learn guide found it useful except for something.

I wrote up a guide back in 2006. Seeing as how we got a bunch of new peeps in on the scene I figured I could update it a little and repost it here. Hopefully it will be a catalyst to improving the metagame.

The best way to progress once a player hits the plateau stage is to focus on his observation skills. At this level analyzing matches and decisions in play are key. Learning small things, like individual player habits with a given character, go a LONG way towards breaching the next level. Being able to quickly identify habits and patterns is the first step towards learning how to control players and establish the flow of the match. Simply put, observation skill is what dictates your personal growth. I very much recommend that players record their matches and analyze them. It makes it INCREDIBLY easy to pinpoint your problems as well as things you can expand and improve upon.

[/SIZE]

Okay I wanted to know something. I know I have good observation skills and I can usually quickly dictate their skill level and their patterns / bad habits in a tourney serious match. But my question is: during tourney play, I already know these, but it's like a brickwall since I can pick up patterns quickly, how do I actually beat them? (you know beat out their patterns or the brickwall w/e )

sorry if it doesn't make sense =/

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
What character prospers from playing offensively? (no meta-lulz) I've been trying to find someone to feed my attacking nature. Right now I main Link and Snake, so obviously no camping to be heard of, but just curious on y'alls opinions.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well there are several though the ones that I think are best at it are Luigi, Diddy, and Wario (though sometimes its better to camp with him). And then theres the obvious answer of MK.

TP

Smash Master
Might be a dumb question as I play as neither character but what (apart from a couple moves) is the difference between Ness and Lucas? Lucas seems like a clone to me but debate about them sets them apart, just wanted to know why
Here's a list of things that sets them apart:

1) Their entire movesets.

So yeah, only one thing. :psycho:

Sorry, but if you looked at any given move, they are different between the two character. Some are more different than others, but all are different enough, even their Down B.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Alright so I read mookie's incredible playing to learn guide found it useful except for something.

Okay I wanted to know something. I know I have good observation skills and I can usually quickly dictate their skill level and their patterns / bad habits in a tourney serious match. But my question is: during tourney play, I already know these, but it's like a brickwall since I can pick up patterns quickly, how do I actually beat them? (you know beat out their patterns or the brickwall w/e )

sorry if it doesn't make sense =/
thats dependant on you being good enough with your character.

when it comes to brick walls like marths SH double fair, you notice that you can attack inbetween fairs, but you actually have to have the reflexes and skills to pull it off. once you recognise certain patterns its up to you to figure out how to beat them with your individual character

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
Spinning around the control stick while flicking the c-stick. Pushing the shoulder buttons might help too but I'm not sure about that part.

ndayday

BRoomer
Any button input helps to get out of a grab, including L/R.

Basically, just revert to your n00b days and mash every button you can reach.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
whats the correct way to break a grab?
i just press everything , but whats the proper way?
Magus420 said:
It's not just mashing buttons, but doing it in the most efficient way you can to maximize the amount of inputs you get per second. I generally still use my method from Melee to break grabs of rotating the control stick while rapidly sliding the side of my thumb back and forth over B/A/Y/X while pressing L/R/Z, but that's mostly good for it being effective yet easy to set up quickly for any time you happen to get grabbed.

There wasn't really anything before that was multiple regrabs but also required them to grab hit me, since for CGs if I mashed out faster they just won't bother grab hitting while doing it, so there's likely a better method than that for the grab hit infinites since ease/speed to set up and hold the controller differently isn't really important.

So basically, more inputs per second = better.

Magus' method quoted here is really good, though better ones are possible.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
How does someone "DI" better than another? Ally amazes me by how well he DIs but many people don't know how he does it... I don't really know how to properly DI, I do this:

Being sent to the right from the middle of Smasvhille
I hold the control stick Up left
I hold the C Stick down left
Momentum Cancel
Fast Fall

Am I doing it right?...

infomon

Smash Scientist
No. You only need to be "holding" the sticks during the moment that you transition from hitlag to hitstun. Do you know the difference between smash-DI (which is input during hitlag, to get yourself out of multi-hit moves) and "regular" DI (which helps adjust the direction you get sent flying)?

I don't know why you're holding the two sticks in different directions. Using both sticks can help for smash-DI, but afaik not for "regular DI".

Try this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221969

You may have to read it multiple times. IMO it's written kinda over-verbose and confusing but it's prolly the best guide we've got. More importantly, test things out yourself (training mode or "debug" mode hack might help), and don't necessarily trust ppl when they tell you things about this. Minor technicalities everywhere :)

HTH!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I need help. I am stuck with tabuu in the last level of the subspace and i cant beat him. i use all my best characters : kirby, lucas, sonic, the pokemon trainer, and pit. could somebody please tell me how to beat him using those people? or if you got a better strategy with other characters then please tell me it as well

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know if d-tilts are relatively faster than side tilts or vice-versa. Basically asking which tilt do you believe to b the fastest? Got into an argument about this. I personally believe d-tilts to be the fastest. Your opinions would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom