• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need some advice or have a question about something? Ask here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frown

poekmon
Anyone know if d-tilts are relatively faster than side tilts or vice-versa. Basically asking which tilt do you believe to b the fastest? Got into an argument about this. I personally believe d-tilts to be the fastest. Your opinions would help.
It differs. Check the character boards for complete frame data.

Swanky

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know what use is there for Pits Wing Refresh? Except for getting back on the stage, i use pits Wings to follow up a missed aerial so the opponent can drop his shield and i could follow up with a f-air or b-air. Wing Refresh to me seems like an invitation to a mistake and a gimp. Plus it drains the length of the Wings, so if I get smashed of the stage i may not have enough up-b power to make it back.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Does anyone know what use is there for Pits Wing Refresh? Except for getting back on the stage, i use pits Wings to follow up a missed aerial so the opponent can drop his shield and i could follow up with a f-air or b-air. Wing Refresh to me seems like an invitation to a mistake and a gimp. Plus it drains the length of the Wings, so if I get smashed of the stage i may not have enough up-b power to make it back.
check the pit boards.

Swanky

Smash Rookie
Any advice on how to get past a zss? Long range, paralyzer, and speed. Pit Diddy and Link are my mains. Any advice on whos the best matchup or how to break through zss will be helpful.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Are there any tips to break the habit of auto-piloting during a match? Or is it something that just takes time?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
What really helped me is to first watch your own replays. This helps you get rid of the really big habits (rolling, spot dodging etc)
After youve broken those, play people who are better than you so you see just how badly youre getting punished. Then youll start thinking during matchs which means your not auto piloting. After that, try to pick up on others habits (the hardest step IMO) and go to tournies and you should be set from there.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Is there a clan section? With clan wars? I can't find them anywere...
No.

I think its the same. Maybe the dash animations make some char. appear they are dancing faster than others. (or i could be completely wrong :p)
No, the timing is all different.

Any advice on how to get past a zss? Long range, paralyzer, and speed. Pit Diddy and Link are my mains. Any advice on whos the best matchup or how to break through zss will be helpful.
Look in the Pit, Diddy, and Link boards matchup discussion, if you can't find ZSS in the respective discussion, I'd ask in the Q&A for the character board.

Kingkira

Smash Rookie
Ouuuu question!!
i'm having troubles against my friends fox, he keeps doing the thing where you go downwards with Dair as it stuns you he can pull a dsmash -.- its pissing me off how everytime he can do that DX
advice?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Ouuuu question!!
i'm having troubles against my friends fox, he keeps doing the thing where you go downwards with Dair as it stuns you he can pull a dsmash -.- its pissing me off how everytime he can do that DX
advice?
Hold shield and angle it up, if he's predictable you can get in a few shieldgrabs =P

infomon

Smash Scientist
Anyone know if d-tilts are relatively faster than side tilts or vice-versa. Basically asking which tilt do you believe to b the fastest? Got into an argument about this. I personally believe d-tilts to be the fastest. Your opinions would help.
For Sonic, the hitboxes of his side-tilt and down-tilt both come out on frame 6. :)

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I have two questions to whoever will answer...

1. How hard should a level nine be if I were to claim that I'm good?:ohwell:

2. Which is better for momentum canceling - airdodging or aerial attacking (I mean for Marth)?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I have two questions to whoever will answer...

1. How hard should a level nine be if I were to claim that I'm good?:ohwell:

As hard as NEO, in fact, skip the level 9, and just beat NEO.

Seriously, no matter what their level, cpus mean nothing, the only way you'll be known as good is to beat good human (or other sentient lifeforms in the case of moderators on smashboards ( yes, I know you guys are aliens trying to take over the world)) players.

CPUs react nothing like humans and are both harder (they react WAY too fast) and easier (they have predictable programming exploits) then humans, nobody cares if you can beat them.

2. Which is better for momentum canceling - airdodging or aerial attacking (I mean for Marth)?
Use fair.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Thanks. I admit to being a very discouraged when facing level nines. I don't usually lose, but they often come closer than I'd like...

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Thanks. I admit to being a very discouraged when facing level nines. I don't usually lose, but they often come closer than I'd like...
Yea, it's not really a good idea anyway, you'll get into habits that you probably shouldn't because that's how you beat them, but it doesn't say anything about your ability to fight other humans.

I'm assuming from the Icon that you're a marth player, right? Drop by the Marth boards to find out how it's done.

If you're not, go to the right character board (also, the momentium canceling answer was based on Marth, so if you use somebody else one of the other moves may be better for you, but I don't know any char where airdodging is better).

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
:laugh:Yes, I'm a marth main. And I have got into a few bad habits thanks to CPUs. :laugh: I figured that the first step to getting better was being able to beat a level nine without taking damage... lol. too frustrating.

Ah well, to the Marth boards...

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Grr, newish to the game and am working on fighting a more difficult level CPU each time but am finding it difficult and have become dependant on rolling and being less aggressive and I somehow feel my game has gotten worse.

Is it me getting worse or just dealing with a harder level?

BTW, sorry if dumb question

B!squick

Smash Master
The computer cheats. Seriously. They are not a substitute for human beings, so don't take any vibes you get from playing them seriously, no matter how much they crouch taunt you.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
The computer cheats. Seriously. They are not a substitute for human beings, so don't take any vibes you get from playing them seriously, no matter how much they crouch taunt you.

arrrgh the snake cpu annoys me so much, he has some perfect memory for where every bomb or mine is....grrr, annoying

ZonictheHedgehog

Smash Cadet
Is there an easy way to do the really short jumps? I always have this problem with bunny hoods and the high-jumping characters (Luigi, Falco). I can do it if I'm really trying but it's kind of hard when you're locked in a grueling conflict. Any suggestions?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Just slide your thumb off the x or y button if you have the GC controller. Practice in training mode until you can do it consistently and without thinking. Then learn to apply it in game and youre all set.

If you jump with the control stick, it is definitely worth it to train yourself to jump with a button cause it makes it so much easier to do certain techniques like short hopping.

I really cant help you with any other controller setups cause I dont really use them in Brawl.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Noob question, but what's the best way to get out of grabs? I rotate the control stick and mash buttons...is that the best way? Should I rotate the c stick as well? As many inputs as possible? Am I better off just rapeing the a and b buttons with my thumb?

thanks.

ndayday

BRoomer
As many button inputs as you can in the shortest amount of time. Basically, mash the hell out of the controller as fast as you can. I personally slide my right thumb over the y/x/b/a/cstick, rotate the control stick, and mash L/R. It seems to work.

infomon

Smash Scientist
... does the control stick matter? I thought for some reason it didn't, but mebbe I'm wrong, I don't remember the thread that goes into depth on this is

Edit: oh wow this post looks really dumb without the context from the previous posts lol

ndayday

BRoomer
Uh, ZSS+G&W, and of course, MK+MK.

That's all I know of.

infomon

Smash Scientist
lollllll

what's wrong with "a match where money is not on the line, and which does not count towards one's tourney placings"

or are you implying something

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Perhaps... "A match where no prize or title is on the line that is played for enjoyment or practicing new/old tactics. These matches are not meant to be overly competitive."

That's how I'd name it...:)

EDIT: Without laughing and calling me names, would someone kindly explain what planking is and why people hate it.

ndayday

BRoomer
Straight from Smash Wiki;

SmashWiki said:
A friendly is a match that takes place during a tournament and at a tournament but is only used for practice. This means that the outcome will not be recorded. A friendly match can also be an online match, usually only two people, that are friends on Wi-Fi.
I'd venture to say that you could also say that normal matches would be friendlies as well, as long as they aren't in tournament, and are actually played as they would in the tournament environment. (Ex; not FFAs)

infomon

Smash Scientist
EDIT: Without laughing and calling me names, would someone kindly explain what planking is and why people hate it.
Why would we laugh or call you names? It's not exactly obvious lol.... it's a tactic named after a smasher "plank" (that's not how you spell it tho, he's weird lol)

planking = aggressive ledge-camping.... particularly with MK. Just hang out at the edge, dropping off, hopping on, mixing up aerials in between... when they come near, maybe venture to get in a few hits before rushing back to the safe happy ledge :)

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Then its the ultimate gimping technique. :laugh:

I've heard of people wanting to ban planking. Not sure what to think...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Then its the ultimate gimping technique. :laugh:
No, like.... when your opponent is on the stage, and you're choosing to hang out at the ledge. In MK vs. Falco it's particularly dominant; Falco really can't touch MK if MK is staying at the ledge. He's easy to outrange if he gets close, MK has a billion different options, and if Falco jumps at MK it's totally predictable and vulnerable (to shuttle loop, for example). Lasers do nothing.

But it's not stalling, because the MK can still poke in l'il attacks now and then. MK is just camping, it just happens to be near-unbeatable. (in SOME matchups.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom