• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Recovery tier list.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's not a good stall. From the sound of it, I thought they meant something like Shine Stalling. Side B stalls you for only a short time and then you start falling and lose height. It's not like you can stall several times to mixup when you Up B.
If it stalls long enough for their invincibility to run out then it doesn't matter does it.

Also if used before the peak of a jump side B gives a vertical boost. Not saying this is some kind of uber large boost to Marth's recovery, but hey it comes in handy from time to time.

Irow

Smash Ace
What happened to Marth's Forward+B to launch him forward? I see Marth players do this a lot when recovering.

I still honestly fail to see why Pit is at the bottom of Rank A, Sonic being above him in recovery. And why isn't Kirby in Rank S, just below Jigglypuff? Both have six jumps, and Kirby can uses his Forward+B like Jigglypuff. It's not better, but that's why it would be just below Jigglypuff.
Jigglypuff is faster in the air, that's why.

_clinton

Smash Master
And to sum it all up Ness still sucks.
Opinions are funny...like for example...people bringing up Pit and Zelda having a so called easy time gimping Ness (Pit's is easier) and then putting that all into one rank...fun fact...those are only 2/39 characters...and Ness gimps both of them easily as well...hell he gimps Mario as much as Mario can gimp him...the truth is...for how "easy" Ness is to gimp for certain characters...there seems to be a trade off with Ness when it comes to gimping them as as well...

Lucas can throw his thunder into Ness' Path and cut PKT2 short...but Ness' thunder has an easy time gimping Lucas as well...it sort of evens them out in a way...

Really though to rank his parts of his recovery...

2nd jump=4/5
PK Thunder=2/5
PSI Magnet Help...which has more then one use

The truth is...you aren't always going to gimp Ness' PKT2 if the Ness player isn't a moron

In fact...you really can't gimp Ness that well until he has to throw out that thunder...

But if you guys recal right...I've given stat data on just how much horizontal distance Ness' 2nd jump gives him...it being a lot seems to keep falling passed you guys...

Oh and the vertical isn't that bad as well w/o the use of thunder...3.3 levels (or the top platform and then some on Battlefield if you need some data)

Oh and JP should be above ROB...she doesn't have to give up an air dodge to use her "recovery" move

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Opinions are funny...like for example...people bringing up Pit and Zelda having a so called easy time gimping Ness (Pit's is easier) and then putting that all into one rank...fun fact...those are only 2/39 characters...and Ness gimps both of them easily as well...hell he gimps Mario as much as Mario can gimp him...the truth is...for how "easy" Ness is to gimp for certain characters...there seems to be a trade off with Ness when it comes to gimping them as as well...

Lucas can throw his thunder into Ness' Path and cut PKT2 short...but Ness' thunder has an easy time gimping Lucas as well...it sort of evens them out in a way...

2nd jump=4/5
PK Thunder=2/5

The truth is...you aren't always going to gimp Ness' PKT2 if the Ness player isn't a moron

In fact...you really can't gimp Ness that well until he has to throw out that thunder...

But if you guys recal right...I've given stat data on just how much horizontal distance Ness' 2nd jump gives him...it being a lot seems to keep falling passed you guys...

Oh and the vertical isn't that bad as well w/o the use of thunder...3.3 levels (or the top platform and then some on Battlefield if you need some data)
I suppose you have a point. There are alot of idiot Ness players.:laugh: But for every idiot Ness player, we have 2 idiot ANY player. :laugh:

Karas

Smash Cadet
Why Isn't Snakes Recovery higher? I know you can grab him, and hes ****ed. but a good Snake can get outta that. he should Be Atleast B or c In my opinion

Karas

Smash Cadet
Lol every time I recover. i never get Spiked. its in the Mind Games. I cancel my recovery and do it again Works for me everytime.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Half of the cast can gimp him.

Lucas has nothing to do with Ness' recovery position.

2nd jump=4/5
PK Thunder=2/5

You can, if you hit him he loses his second jump.

????

ApplesOfDoom

Smash Journeyman
Peach has float and umbrella. She doesn't have much vertical recovery, because her second jump was nerfed, but she has excellent horizontal recovery.

Even taking being gimped into account, I wouldn't put her so low. No smart peach will float into an attack >_>

Gindler

Smash Champion
Same can be said of like everyone else in the roster, from Lucario to Fox to Wario if knocked out of his bike.
Not necessarily yoshi :psycho:. but yeah that was a weak argument against ness...very weak.

Oh and if snake recovers from a decent height he'll be fine. if he recovers anywhere close to being horizontal with the stage against someone with a decent spike he'll most likely get killed. Some snakes will try to recover with c4 first i've noticed, especially agianst samus, ness, and the kongs (pretty much anyone with a decent spike) and intercepting a c4 snake can be a real chore.

_clinton

Smash Master
Half of the cast can gimp him.
Yeah and?

He can gimp 1/2 of the cast well...at least they can only really do it well when he doesn't have a 2nd jump...

Lucas has nothing to do with Ness' recovery position.
We're talking about Ness being so called bad because he has a “gimp able” recovery (because no one else can be read like a book on this list right?) well...I'm pointing out that Ness can gimp just as well as be gimped...on the same people...

You can, if you hit him he loses his second jump.
Yes...if you do it while he is using the 2nd jump...but lets look at that shall we...lets look at 3 things for defense Ness has to cover his *** while coming back to the stage...

PK Fire
Dair
Fair

These moves sort of do a good job preventing anyone from trying to jump out and hit Ness...now lets look at these two things...oh and btw...don't get hit by PK fire if Ness still has his 2nd jump ok ^_^

A simple Air Dodge
PSI Magnet

These protect Ness...in more ways then one

Air dodge + 2nd jump equals getting passed things...
PSI Magnet is just great...Stalling the fall...moving Ness to get the most out of his horizontal game...and so on...

BTW I should point out (again) that Ness and Lucario are about tied when it comes to just simply floating back to the stage...along with Lucas

In my spare time I ended up wanting to collect some data on the recoveries in this game (as well as other things) I’m done with the final say on everything for the Vertical part…however I still have to do horizontal (I keep changing the test…however I like the new test now)

Peach has float and umbrella. She doesn't have much vertical recovery, because her second jump was nerfed, but she has excellent horizontal recovery.
Even taking being gimped into account, I wouldn't put her so low. No smart peach will float into an attack >_>
I see vertical recovery as just as important as horizontal recovery ok...Peach has the worse one in the game overall

She gets C…and I personally think she should be right in the center of the list…

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Marth and Ike should be in the same ranking. Marth's has great speed but low horizontal range and is not that stellar vertically either. Ike can use either Quickdraw for great horizontal recovery, or Aether for good vertical distance- slightly higher than Marth's recovery at the cost of less horizontal movement.

Irow

Smash Ace
It is much, much easier to force Ike into dying than Marth.

Marth is quicker in the air. He can for the most part just fall to the stage and swat people away with his **** aerials.

Ike's Up-b and Side-B are both pretty gimpable.

Marth's Up-B also comes out very quickly and even has invinciblilty in it's first frames.

_clinton

Smash Master
Marth and Ike should be in the same ranking. Marth's has great speed but low horizontal range and is not that stellar vertically either. Ike can use either Quickdraw for great horizontal recovery, or Aether for good vertical distance- slightly higher than Marth's recovery at the cost of less horizontal movement.
The true range on Ike's lies to the eye...

On my vertical test Marth scored a 5.5 using every trick that I had with him (by that I mean Marth's 1st dancing blade gives him an extra .5 for range)...while Ike only scored a 4.5

For one of my horizontal tests (I've made a new one that is overall better sense then...but I haven't really tested that many characters on it yet) Marth got an 8 and Ike got an 8.5...

Quick Draw has more issues when it comes to having the recovery cut short then what PKT2 has with Ness...

Aether is ok...however DS has invincibility for one thing (compared to Super Armor invincibilty is better), and is faster

Marth's 2nd jump is just overall better then Ike's as well...in both horizontal range and vertical range

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I keep reading people post about Pit and I keep getting annoyed. If anyone thinks that ANY character easily gimps Pit you're insane. R.O.B. and MK are the closest and I don't even consider them threats at my skill level. And just to note, I don't consider my skill level to be that high.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
The true range on Ike's lies to the eye...

On my vertical test Marth scored a 5.5 using every trick that I had with him (by that I mean Marth's 1st dancing blade gives him an extra .5 for range)...while Ike only scored a 4.5

For one of my horizontal tests (I've made a new one that is overall better sense then...but I haven't really tested that many characters on it yet) Marth got an 8 and Ike got an 8.5...

Quick Draw has more issues when it comes to having the recovery cut short then what PKT2 has with Ness...

Aether is ok...however DS has invincibility for one thing (compared to Super Armor invincibilty is better), and is faster

Marth's 2nd jump is just overall better then Ike's as well...in both horizontal range and vertical range
True. Marth has better air speed and a slower fall speed, making him floatier. Regarding the invincibility frames, they are very useful, but I wouldn't discredit the Super Armor on Aether either. I find the latter more useful as it lasts for quite a bit longer than the former. I've been knocked out of Dolphin Slash before, whereas that doesn't happen with Aether in most cases. And Aether is easier to aim on to the ledge/stage. With Marth, the move is so fast that sometimes he gets caught under the ledge. It's happened more times than I can count, during the excitement of the moment and all. :laugh: Overall, they're both pretty easy to gimp though. A simple, well-timed edge-hug should stop both. It's slightly more tricky with Aether, as I find the prolonged frames of Ike's sword spinning in the air quite annoying. It makes edgehogging more difficult.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If it stalls long enough for their invincibility to run out then it doesn't matter does it.

Also if used before the peak of a jump side B gives a vertical boost. Not saying this is some kind of uber large boost to Marth's recovery, but hey it comes in handy from time to time.
It has afterlag. Oh, you stalled with it. If I can fall fast enough or just have big hitboxes on my aerials, I can just drop down and kick your ***.

How did I ever miss this gem? Pit easily gimps Zelda's recovery? Pray tell, how?

So Lucas and Ness can both gimp each others' recoveries. Wow, shocking.

The truth of the matter is, no one ever claimed that. In fact, I have on many occasions specifically said "No one is saying Ness will always get gimped! We're just saying there are a variety of ways of gimping his recoveries, ways that do not exist for most other peoples' since they work differently!"

O RLY? Projectile spammers and people with great aerial mobility and/or big hitboxes and high priority disagree.

Also, we were concentrating on his PKT recovery when speaking about gimpage. In fact, it was all we talked about.

Yes, and? No one's downplaying it because no one brought it up when talking about gimping him.

I must ask you for the URL to this alternate thread you must be reading since you seem to have read an entirely different thread in order to come up with this "rebuttal".

Same can be said of like everyone else in the roster, from Lucario to Fox to Wario if knocked out of his bike.
Yes, but many have Up B that are harder to gimp. Assuming his 2nd jump is gone, he'll have to rely on PKT2 and voila, gimping opportunities.

Quick Draw is ridiculously easy to edgehog and you can even his jump out and take the hit and let him fall to his doom. Also, Ike is a fastfaller. Marth isn't.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It has afterlag. Oh, you stalled with it. If I can fall fast enough or just have big hitboxes on my aerials, I can just drop down and kick your ***.
You'd risk getting stage spiked, which is more than likely since when Marth usually stalls, they're quite a vertical distance away from the stage, which gives Marth enough time for the Up-B.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ness recovery doesn't suck because it's easy to gimp but because it...just sucks

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You'd risk getting stage spiked, which is more than likely since when Marth usually stalls, they're quite a vertical distance away from the stage, which gives Marth enough time for the Up-B.
DI? Tech? DI + Tech? It's not you'd be surprised by the Up B. You'd know it was coming. Marth is also not magically invincible during Up B ledgehop an attack, like, say, a Meteor Smash and see if he Up Bs into it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
He can gimp 1/2 of the cast well...at least they can only really do it well when he doesn't have a 2nd jump...
Pray tell, what is it that makes Ness so special while he still has his 2nd jump that he's so much harder to gimp than everyone else above him?

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Quick Draw is ridiculously easy to edgehog and you can even his jump out and take the hit and let him fall to his doom. Also, Ike is a fastfaller. Marth isn't.
The way I see it, Quick Draw is only useful if you use it from really high up to return on stage. It usually works since the opponent cannot gimp it by jumping in front of it. Also, I believe Ike has the 19th fastest falling speed so he's not exactly a fastfaller. About medium I would say. Marth just falls really slowly, like about 10th slowest in the whole roster.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The way I see it, Quick Draw is only useful if you use it from really high up to return on stage. It usually works since the opponent cannot gimp it by jumping in front of it. Also, I believe Ike has the 19th fastest falling speed so he's not exactly a fastfaller. About medium I would say. Marth just falls really slowly, like about 10th slowest in the whole roster.
Yeah, I know. I was just too lazy to say "He falls much faster than Marth". He falls relatively fast. And his Up B is almost entirely vertical. Marth's gains horizontal distance as well.

_clinton

Smash Master
*notices how I've got a few walls of text for me

Well...I'll get to most of it latter...I've got to get to work soon...but...

How did I ever miss this gem? Pit easily gimps Zelda's recovery? Pray tell, how?
Please read it right...I said Ness gimps both of their recoveries well...not Pit easily gimps Zelda' recovery...

So Lucas and Ness can both gimp each others' recoveries. Wow, shocking.
When it comes to the point where one of them has to use thunder they can...but up until then...

The truth of the matter is, no one ever claimed that. In fact, I have on many occasions specifically said "No one is saying Ness will always get gimped! We're just saying there are a variety of ways of gimping his recoveries, ways that do not exist for most other peoples' since they work differently!"
Right...because Ness' thunder works differently that makes him easy...but until that part he isn't really that easy to gimp...his recovery move may have some issues...but a lot of other characters have issues with their recovery moves...it isn't just Ness...

O RLY? Projectile spammers and people with great aerial mobility and/or big hitboxes and high priority disagree.
Really the fun thing about that is...Ness has a projectile, pretty good aerial mobility, and good hitboxes for his airs as well...oh he could just get passed all of that using his double jump with an air dodge

Also, we were concentrating on his PKT recovery when speaking about gimpage. In fact, it was all we talked about.
Yes, but many have Up B that are harder to gimp. Assuming his 2nd jump is gone, he'll have to rely on PKT2 and voila, gimping opportunities.
Except PK thunder is really just one part of his recovery…this thread is dealing with “recovery” in that you have to deal with everything the character has…I’m aware of the limits for PK thunder…however I don’t think that is equal to a D rank just because of that when the other ½ of his recovery is very good…
I think I said it for this but I’ll say it again…

2nd jump=4/5
PK Thunder=2/5
PSI Magnet Add-on
Those are the main parts of Ness’ recovery

Yes, and? No one's downplaying it because no one brought it up when talking about gimping him.
I must ask you for the URL to this alternate thread you must be reading since you seem to have read an entirely different thread in order to come up with this "rebuttal".
Actually I gave the info for this thread just early on somewhere…but if you want to see the testing ground I used to get it I’ll show you…

Again you read the post wrong…I just gave the raw stats for one of the level 1 recovery tests I used…I’m aware that Marth is much better then Ike ok…I even said that…notice how I was countering a guy who said Ike and Marth should be the same for when I gave info on them?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Please read it right...I said Ness gimps both of their recoveries well...not Pit easily gimps Zelda' recovery...
I mistyped. I meant to ask:
"Ness gimps Zelda's recovery?"

When it comes to the point where one of them has to use thunder they can...but up until then...
And I never said Ness was easily gimped while he still had his 2nd jump. We were arguing whether or not PKT1 was easily gimped. I said "Yes" and presented evidence for that.

Right...because Ness' thunder works differently that makes him easy...but until that part he isn't really that easy to gimp...his recovery move may have some issues...but a lot of other characters have issues with their recovery moves...it isn't just Ness...
Again, I never said anything else.

Really the fun thing about that is...Ness has a projectile, pretty good aerial mobility, and good hitboxes for his airs as well...oh he could just get passed all of that using his double jump with an air dodge
His projectile (PK Fire, I'm assuming) lags so he can't always use it. You can't aim it either. And Ness is not the best anti-edgeguarder. There are people whose aerials and projectiles can go through his defenses.

I never said everyone can gimp Ness.

Airdodges end. You will be vulnerable. Unless the opponent his did something really laggy, they can try another swipe at you. Meteors, KO moves, moves that hit you out again.

Hey, there's also the guessing game. They jump out, bait you into airdodging, jump back, hit you out. A lot of characters can double jump into an airdodge. It's not a surefire way to not get edgeguarded.

Except PK thunder is really just one part of his recovery…this thread is dealing with “recovery” in that you have to deal with everything the character has…I’m aware of the limits for PK thunder…however I don’t think that is equal to a D rank just because of that when the other ½ of his recovery is very good…
I'm dissecting a part of his recovery. But that was what was on the table originally. I've since almost only covered Ness' PKT, nothing else.

2nd jump=4/5
PK Thunder=2/5
PSI Magnet Add-on
Those are the main parts of Ness’ recovery
Yes, he's got options, wheee. But each option is gimpable. He's not some kind of he-man who's really hard to edgeguard. He's just not super-easy to gimp. Very few characters are.

Again you read the post wrong…I just gave the raw stats for one of the level 1 recovery tests I used…I’m aware that Marth is much better then Ike ok…I even said that…notice how I was countering a guy who said Ike and Marth should be the same for when I gave info on them?
You said a lot of stuff, I replied to it. Doesn't matter who you were replying to if what I was replying to was said by you.

Levitas

the moon
LOL, ness isn't special when it comes to edgegaurding zelda, but her up b is kinda limited. Without a second jump, it isn't hard to hit her after she reappears. But you know this, of course.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
LOL, ness isn't special when it comes to edgegaurding zelda, but her up b is kinda limited. Without a second jump, it isn't hard to hit her after she reappears. But you know this, of course.
clinton made it sound like he was. Zelda's Up B is not the best in the game, no. But she's not easily gimped or whatever and Ness isn't randomly more adept at it than others.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Ness gimps both of them easily as well...hell he gimps Mario as much as Mario can gimp him...the truth is...for how "easy" Ness is to gimp for certain characters...there seems to be a trade off with Ness when it comes to gimping them as as well...
I call bull**** for obvious reasons.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Do Ness' gimping abilities really matter?

They don't make his recovery any better. Thus using that as part of an argument is completely irrelevant.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

They don't make his recovery any better. Thus using that as part of an argument is completely irrelevant.
It's relevent to the argument because the OP brought it up. Over.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
So what? Ness is still way too high. Marios recovery and especially those of the spacies are much better than his. And Falcos and Wolfs recovery moves are even more dangerous as they can spike edgeguard attempts

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

Well, it counts to how well the people he can gimp should place. I still call BS on Zelda being easily gimped by Ness. clinton?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Why do people keep *****ing about Ness position! He's in D rank! How much lower can he go? Lower than Mario, Falco, Ike and Wolf into D rank. Im 99% sure Ness has a better recovery than each of them. His double jump actually matches close to Mario's vertical distance. His air movement beats them all out. (equal to Mario in forward momentum, but Ness can easily move back and forth in a faster manner than Mario)

Falco, Ike and Wolf have trash air movement, and their recovery patterns are predictable. I swear, I might just move Ness below them, just to shut people up, seriously is he THAT hated!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wolf has the 3rd best aerial movement in the game, dude. Get your facts straight

Top Bottom