• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 My opinions on MLG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
A boycott is a really silly idea... we aren't PETA or some silly and pointless protesting organization...

We have all of this amazing positive vibe flowing and you want to derail that by talking about a freaking boycott? :\

I would love to talk to Nintendo about their terrible stance against competitive gaming, believe me-- but a boycott is not the answer and no one would really get behind it even if it was.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I know you have good intentions, but I'm not going waste my time to make a thread that is going to be completely ignored by Nintendo. there is no way anyone in Nintendo would care about a thread posted on Smash World Forums :(

Can we drop this or some one make another thread if they really care? This is going pretty far off topic

Edit: Also, we're not even really asking for money, we just want them to allow MLG to do what they want :chuckle:
Your giving up before you've even started trying. If you truly believed what you said GIMR and you want MLG to have more freedom for our sport then the first step is to do something about it not just brush it off.

Change isn't some thing that happens over night it takes quiet, gentle persistence.

etecoon

Smash Hero
negotiating with nintendo is likely impossible, and a boycott on our part is pointless because most of their games aren't directed at long time gamers now anyway, we aren't really their intended demographic

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Nothing is impossible etecoon if you have the right connections to the right people. Thats how business gets started and thats how business thrives.

To echo the op, I still wear my MLG hoodie I got on the day of my birthday. For my first tournament MLG Columbus is something i will never forget.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Yes but doing something that would actually effect Nintendo's thinking is what matters. Not just DOING something.

Starting a thread on smashboards would do absolutely nothing.

I think a boycott would work if enough people got behind it(might not be possible because of the growth of casual gamers)

I hate it when I(or anyone) post an idea on how to get something done and some else says. "well YOU aren't doing anything." Yes I am, I'm trying to find a way to out reach to Nintendo that would actually be effective. Just because I didn't waste my time writing a thread on smashboards doesn't mean I'm giving up. It means I don't think your idea to out reach Nintendo is a good one thus I'm not going to do it.

anyways, if anyone wants to continue this convo please PM me or message me. I really took the positive out of this thread and I would like to undo that

Gnes dropped only 1 game at MLG Dallas. This guy's mad good[/sudden topic change]

Jem.

Smash Master
Mike I think you should make this a thread on the MLGPro General Discussion. Sundance and others lurk around and read things!! I don't wanna steal credit for what you wrote since it was sincere, so I think you should post it!! I totally agree though even though I unfortunately got to attend one MLG this year. It was amazing!!

JUJ

Smash Cadet
MLG Dallas was amazing, and I wish I could have went to more events just by the experince I had in Dallas. The regional representation magnified the intensity of the matches. Despite a couple of incidents I am glad to say that I am part of the smash community. So many new friendships made, and much respect given to players from everywhere.

It is with much anticipaiton that we await the return of MLG, and with it hopefully the return of Brawl to the circuit.

In Summary, it was freakin awesome!!!

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
When I read this, I felt the passion mike was trying to emphasize. Good thread mike. I agree 100% and am looking forward to another season

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
<3 MLG.
Also, WhatABurger >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Denny's.
Breaking tables at IHOP > WhatABurger.

Even though I didn't go to a MLG tournament, I loved the fact it allowed so many people from so many different areas to come together and see who is best out of the lot of them. Hopefully we do somehow manage to get Brawl back next year, despite not capping...and the Doritios issue...and the whole splitting thing that came up...

M@v

Subarashii!
<3 MLG.
Also, WhatABurger >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Denny's.
Eatn'Park>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Denny's. But you wouldn't know because its a West PA thing :).

Lots of memories I'll have from the two mlgs I made(orlando and columbus):

the serious memories

-Doing decent for the first time ever at a national
-Meeting Larry for the first time
-Meeting WC in general for the first time. You guys are all awesome.
-the general atmosphere
-All the hype behind the matches, especially MLG orlando because I was still florida then. Hyping all the FL guys was so good.

the funny/akward memories

-Sky's AMAAAAAAAZING commentary
-M2k doing m2k stuff. Like how he demonstrated to me, Larry, Ally, and a few other how to do Falco's nair.....in real life.
-Hotel smashfests @ MLG columbus
-Hanging with D1. I'm never bored when he's around, lol.
-Going to Wendy's with tyrant, ally, and Atomsk. Atomsk bought like 12 doublestacks, then gave several of them out the next day >___>.

Martyr

Smash Rookie
Could you give me the numbers to back this up? I'm curious

He doesn't need numbers, everything this man has said is pretty accurate. It's very easy to come off as biased and think that just because of how big it's gotten, that competitive gamers are dominating the game market, but we really do only account for a very small percentage of their community and sales, and that's the reality of the scenario. If you have to kill 1 to save a thousand, that one loss is actually what most would consider an understandable loss. The major corporations see this as the same scenario. You can't please everyone, but if there's anyone they are concerned with the least out of their market it's us competitive gamers and that is the sad truth. Boycott, start riots, do whatever you want but it won't change that very simple fact.

Yes but doing something that would actually effect Nintendo's thinking is what matters. Not just DOING something.

Starting a thread on smashboards would do absolutely nothing.

I think a boycott would work if enough people got behind it(might not be possible because of the growth of casual gamers)

I hate it when I(or anyone) post an idea on how to get something done and some else says. "well YOU aren't doing anything." Yes I am, I'm trying to find a way to out reach to Nintendo that would actually be effective. Just because I didn't waste my time writing a thread on smashboards doesn't mean I'm giving up. It means I don't think your idea to out reach Nintendo is a good one thus I'm not going to do it.

anyways, if anyone wants to continue this convo please PM me or message me. I really took the positive out of this thread and I would like to undo that

Trying to do something negative in the hopes of achieving something positive is the reason that major companies like Nintendo don't listen to people like us. Rather than trying to boycott them like they are the freaking British why don't you suggest something that invokes an outcome that is realistic. This whole "baby-want-his-bottle" attitude and boycotting nonsense is a trivial idea, and it's no knock to you because I know you and a lot of people in here mean well. But if you knock on Hell's doors eventually someone's going to answer you and chances are since it's the doors of Hell you're not going to enjoy it very much. Just a thought.

Xyless

Smash Master
GIMR

The only way to confront Nintendo head CEOs and Sakurai is to go to a E3 event and meet with them 1 on 1. Hard to do.

Getting into E3 is reversed for mostly invitation only through gaming developers and publishers.
huh, I'm a game developer, how about that ;)

Tesh

Smash Hero
Maybe at the very least, MLG can allow people in with their own recording equipment/tripods? Its not like Nintendo can stop people from "lifecasting" their experience at a tournament. And if that experience happens to be close up HD visuals of every match with commentary.....

Anyway, all the people that managed to video game much of the event for the rest of the community did a great job. If MLG keeps us next year, maybe smashboards(the community) could sponsor some of its own smashers to travel to each event and film stuff.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
While I did not have that much fun at Dallas for reasons of my own, the entire MLG experience was pretty awesome. It was great being able to see all my friends from various regions. I won't start listing names because I'm destined to forget someone, but I met so many amazing people, and formed awesome relationships that I hope to take with me far into life.

I greatly enjoyed MLG, and I strongly hope to see it on the circuit next year.

Til then, you're all DQed.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
I only got to make it to one of the MLG's! But none the less it was the most amazing experience I've ever had with Brawl.
All of it was amazing! The hype, the trash talk, simply just watching top players matches, talking to all of the people from multiple other regions that I'd never met, the free food, play friendlies with everyone.
And prolly the most amazing thing about it for me...meeting the top players that I idolize and that caused me to play the characters I played in the past or play today.
Players like:
MikeHAZE(thank you mike, if it weren't for you i would have never touched Marth about a year ago...and now, long story short, Marth's my main).
Ally(I played Snake only because of you...I no longer play snake in tourney though).
Pierce(I know you didn't play, except for very early in the morning when i played friendlies with you because I was like 2 hours early. It was great to meet you because your way of looking at things and thinking is revolutionary)
Siebrik(Thanks for taking out like prolly 2 hours just to talk to me because I had soo many questions and playing me and telling me how i can be better)
Dazwa(You were prolly the coolest and most layed back ref. there)
Felix(It was great to meet you, you showed me that diddy's meta game wasn't only in the hands of ADHD and Gnes)
Sry, if I forgot someone.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
All of you obviously haven't been to Best Thai.

Keep laying down the law, MLG.

makoforce

Smash Ace
well MLG was pretty fun to watch imma try to make it their.

on a sidenote: you have to have general respect for MLG for spending all the money and hard time to keep this website open THANKS MLG!!!

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Well it'd be more of a boycott.

If we could get most of the American smash community to boycott buying ANY Nintendo products and it effected Nintendo sales(Which it definitely could, we're pretty big) then Nintendo would have to address the issue and stop ignoring us.

Question is, how much do us smashers REALLY care about this
Smash, a celebration of all things Nintendo, the apex celebration of being a fanboy.

Fanboys boycotting Nintendo.

Carnivores only eating grass.

Does not compute.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I've never entered an MLG event (or any Brawl tourney for that matter), but I always hear so many good things about them. I plan to change that next year though, with my tourney debut taking place at Pound V. Personally, I have no clue how I'd do, but the thing I want to gain from Brawl tourneys are:

- Experience.
- Meeting other smashers.
- Bettering myself as a smasher.

That's pretty much it. Whether I rank well or not, I can use the experience to hopefully better myself as a smasher to get better and rank better in subsequent tourneys, and open up my doors and get to know people
(the latter of which may be a bit hard, due to my shyness and people issues. >___>)

PCyph

Smash Apprentice
i went to mlg and some guy farted andi turned and he said his name was jason zimmerman and that was sorry for farting snext to me then he got banned

coincidence

i think not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom