• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 My opinions on MLG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
The season was nothing short of incredible. I traveled to EVERY MLG event, and did great and poorly, but the thing that stayed consistent was how much fun I had. The atmosphere MLG brings to tournaments is something that cannot be replicated. This is the dream for every player who plays competitively - To be on the stage, to make money, to get pro status. But regardless if these hopes are fulfilled or not, every captured memory is one that will not be short lived.

MLG has changed so much of community in such a short period of time. Players who were only considered mediocre to most of the nation went from nobodies to nationally respected players in one season -ESAM-, some even after one event -Espy and X more recently-.

Our community was always one of regional rivalries, and since the seasons start these rivalries have sparked into thunderstorms. These clouds hover over every venue and unleash their rage at every event. After the storm dies down, we all go out to Denny's and eat together.

The sense of unity that these events has created has also been an experience like no other. Players I never thought i'd get a long with are now great friends. We meet at one event and dread the end of the weekend, when we have to depart. Then gracefully shake hands and say "see you next month."

I hope after Grand Finals this weekend, more players will come out to more and more events. Every person I talked to said that MLG Finals was pretty much the best tournament they have EVER been to. Myself Included. Nothing can recreate the intensity, frustration, heartbreak, and joy that not only finals, but EVERY MLG event brings to our community.

I, and I'm sure EVERY player would like to say "Thank you." Thank you to everyone at MLG who made this happen. From Sundance, to ALL of the staff, to AZ and JV, to every ref, to every camera person, to every writer on the site. Thank you for this experience. I am not alone when I say "I hope to see you next year." I hope our relationship continues to expand, and we're not just a one season game, because we're more than that. No other game on your circuit will share the same kind of hype, the same trash talk, and the same unity that we as a community do.

We hope to see you on the Circuit next year.

Thank you :)

-mikehaze
michaelpulido@gmail.com

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Everything written was how I feel. I'm so glad I went to all of them, some of the best moments of my life =)

Suspect

Smash Hero
Your post is in response to you and Anti trolling a top player for having a dream of winning a national tournament. Please keep your negativity outside of this thread, as it is nothing but poison to our discussion.
um this has nothing to do with Atomsk, wtf are you talking about?

This has to do with what me and him discussed in the results thread, saying that the Tekken players were "more desperate" because of a silly chant they did. He defended brawl players as if they were not desperate to be back on next year...then a post like this happens proving pretty much that they are.

Almo

Smash Ace
I missed out on the chance to attend an MLG event this year, but from what I've heard from people who have went, it sounds like an experience nothing short of amazing. I really want to make an MLG event, please bring back Brawl for next year!

Gnes

Smash Master
Regardless, handle your discrepancy with Anti somewhere else, this is not the place.

I agree with u mike, I'll never forget the times I had at both of the mlgs I went to.

etecoon

Smash Hero
didn't get to go to any of these this time through, I hope brawl comes back so I can

Laurel

Smash Ace
MLG Dallas was the only even of the circuit I went to, and it was the most amazing event I've ever been to in my entire life by FAR.

I'm a very new person in the smash scene, only playing for about 5 months, but I've tried my best to get involved with the community and make up for lost time. People I've met through smash have changed my life for the better, and it's become more than just a competitive game to me. MLG really brought us all together as a community and as friends and even though this might have been the last time Brawl is on the circuit, I still hold on to that hope it will come back next year.

Thank you, MLG, for making this an incredible and unforgettable event and thank you for bringing people into my life that really impacted my life.

I really hope Brawl stays.

Martyr

Smash Rookie
um this has nothing to do with Atomsk, wtf are you talking about?

This has to do with what me and him discussed in the results thread, saying that the Tekken players were "more desperate" because of a silly chant they did. He defended brawl players as if they were not desperate to be back on next year...then a post like this happens proving pretty much that they are.

Smash has had history on the MLG circuit before Tekken was even taken serious in America. The Smash community has seen the game come and go, and then come again. There's nothing desperate about wanting to keep a good thing going. When actors shoot a television show all they do is pretty much hope that they get picked up by a network so they can progress into future episodes and seasons. This is pretty much the same scenario in a nutshell. Although in my opinion, the way the Smash community has grown and how recognized it has become as a competitive game, there isn't much doubt in my mind it's staying on next year and maybe even with a live stream and commentators. In my mind I see the same happening for Tekken, both have HUGE followings and fan-base.

Side note, regardless of what was said about Tekken players and Smash players, we don't all necessarily feel the same way or share the same beliefs, so your post really is anathema here. And if you don't know what the word anathema means, to save you time, it means "no one really gives a crap, take the negativity out of the cool and well-intentioned thread." Thanks in advance.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I have to echo everything that's been said here. MLG Dallas was the greatest tournament I've ever been to. The atmosphere was amazing, AZ ran the smoothest tournament I've ever seen, everything was professional, and SO HYPED.

I could go on and on for a while, but I'll keep it short. MLG allowed me to meet a lot of amazing people that I respect, and that means more to me than a lot of other things.

MLG da bess.

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
Yeah, I've got to say, MLG Dallas was the best tournament I've ever been to. It was well worth the 3000+ miles and 50+ hours it took to get there and back.

Thank you very much to everyone apart of MLG. I whole-heartedly would love to attend more MLGs in the future.

RichBrown

Smash Master
I agree with everything said here.

I attended my first MLG in 2004 for smash when it came to Anaheim. At the time I was too young to travel so I missed out on that first MLG experience. I was so happy when Brawl got announced to the circuit. Traveling to these MLG events has given me life experiences I will never forget. I've become really good friends with people I didn't even know about just 6 months ago. I had some intense wins and heartbreaking losses. All the while I grew tremendously as a player and as a person.

Between this season and next, word will surely spread about how great the MLG events were. In my area attendance has been rising, and if MLG is able to bring back smash again next year I'm sure the events will bring even more people thanks to positive word of mouth. Thank you so much for everything MLG, I really hope to be back next year!

M@v

Subarashii!
the two MLGs I was able to make were nothing short of incredible; probably my favorite tourneys ever. I wish I could of made DC this year as well, but I didn't have the money. I'm hoping I can make at least 3 events next year. Great job MLG, I loved every minute of these tourneys.

PikaPika!

Smash Ace
I've always had more fun at tournaments run by community such as VC/Pound/FC compared to any of the MLG events I've been to but I guess that's just me.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
The great thing about MLG tournaments is the professionalism. They might not be as "fun" as Community run tournaments but nothing feels better then defeating someone on the main stage with everyone watching and cheering

Count

Smash Champion
Working for mlg is fun but you know that the events are amazing when the atmosphere tears you up inside wanting to compete. Thanks MLG

Xyless

Smash Master
First off, I'm going to love every time M@v posts now.

Anyways, I only went to one MLG this year (Columbus), but since I'll be out of college around the time MLG starts up again, maybe I'll try to go to more. They're all so fun and crazy.

And like GimR said, the best thing that MLG has is professionalism. When you're part of MLG, you're taken more seriously as a entrant to players. Every other tournament save maybe Apex is pretty much a "grassroots" tournament in comparison to the hype and attention brought from MLG.

And if we really want to have Nintendo's permission to stream and such for next year, we could always try to send emails to Nintendo about it or something.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I was thinking of starting a petition site or something to force Nintendo to take competitive gamers seriously and not ignore them.

I was thinking of starting a petition site or something to force Nintendo to take competitive gamers seriously and not ignore them.
Internet petitions work?

I wish I could have gone to MLG DC, but I was imrpisoned in college 250 miles south from home. Host another MLG in DC during the summer plz?

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Internet petitions work?
Well it'd be more of a boycott.

If we could get most of the American smash community to boycott buying ANY Nintendo products and it effected Nintendo sales(Which it definitely could, we're pretty big) then Nintendo would have to address the issue and stop ignoring us.

Question is, how much do us smashers REALLY care about this

Xyless

Smash Master
That's incredibly silly, GimR. The last thing they would respond to is boycotts.

I'm saying having lots of people emailing Nintendo asking them to consider it. NOT BEING ***** ABOUT IT, because that would make it worse. But if Nintendo knew that people cared, maybe they would give it more thought.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
That's incredibly silly, GimR. The last thing they would respond to is boycotts.

I'm saying having lots of people emailing Nintendo asking them to consider it. NOT BEING ***** ABOUT IT, because that would make it worse. But if Nintendo knew that people cared, maybe they would give it more thought.
They do know and they don't care

Nintendo doesn't care if people run tournaments but they won't have anything to do with them. They IGNORED MLG's email asking if they could stream Brawl. If a major corporation ignores another smaller but still major corporation about something like this I think it's pretty obvious they don't care.

Also could you explain how what I said was silly, if a boycott is big enough it has to be responded to. That's the whole point of a boycott lol

Back to the main subject though:

MLG you Rock

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Don't boycott Nintendo. It's likely to do nothing but paint us in a negative light.
It's just an idea. Being painted negatively by certain people isn't necessarily a bad thing. Like they say, "Haters gonna hate"

Do you have any ideas on how to get Nintendo's attention?

On a different note: sorry for going off topic

Look at how small hardcore/competitive gamers are compared to the tsunami of causal gamers taking over the market. Does Nintendo really care about their <.1% extra profit from us? Boycotting will do nothing, really.

Also, I heard that Nintendo did respond to MLG's livestreaming rights request, but didn't give it to them because MLG wants to sell their streams. Or something similar to it and Nintendo doesn't want anyone doing anything like that for money. Dunno how true this is.

Do you have any ideas on how to get Nintendo's attention?
$

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Look at how small hardcore/competitive gamers are compared to the tsunami of causal gamers taking over the market. Does Nintendo really care about their <.1% extra profit from us? Boycotting will do nothing, really.
Could you give me the numbers to back this up? I'm curious

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
GIMR

The only way to confront Nintendo head CEOs and Sakurai is to go to a E3 event and meet with them 1 on 1. Hard to do.

Getting into E3 is reversed for mostly invitation only through gaming developers and publishers.

Don't boycott, instead why don't you GIMR make a thread on it if your really highly motivated by it and type up a very well constructive argument as to why you feel competitive smash needs to stop being ignored by Nintendo.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Not if you write up a reason as to why they, the developer/publisher, should look at as. What they want is $$ and to be well represented. If they look at some of the MLG footage from either the days of Melee or Brawl and see all of us having fun at the tournament and playing their game, that'll tell them something. These companies need incentive, a reason, to invest money into our competitive sport.

If they see our sport as being popular, people buying up Wiis/GC/Melee/Brawl, just to play this and if they can only see how great our competitive spirit is they would be motivated to listen to us.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Don't boycott, instead why don't you GIMR make a thread on it if your really highly motivated by it and type up a very well constructive argument as to why you feel competitive smash needs to stop being ignored by Nintendo.
I know you have good intentions, but I'm not going waste my time to make a thread that is going to be completely ignored by Nintendo. there is no way anyone in Nintendo would care about a thread posted on Smash World Forums :(

Can we drop this or some one make another thread if they really care? This is going pretty far off topic

Edit: Also, we're not even really asking for money, we just want them to allow MLG to do what they want :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom