• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My 10,000th Post.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
Well, this is it.

Looking at the date, it would appear that I have spent about exactly three years on this website. My join date was some time August of the Year 2007, and now here I am.

Yes, I can acknowledge that I have hit a certain number of posts on this website, which obviously shows my dedication to it. I check SWF every time I come back from school during the year, and every other morning when I wake up.

Three years in, I start to realize what this really is.

Amidst the walls of text, the blatant trolling, the planned-out responses, the speeches, the corrections, the hype, the interaction, the messaging, the friend requests, the results, the announcements, the intelligent discussion, the videos, the pictures, the rivalries, the partnerships, the crews, the teams, the laughs, the tears, the failures, the accomplishments, the rage, the joy, the music, the dancing, the smiles, the links, the polls, the pools, the addresses, the Mapquesting, the unknowns, the certainties, the fear, the exhilaration, the moments, and the memories, I see what this really is.

I see family. And I feel home.

My first tournament was at a mall, in a place called X-tremePlay. After months of playing Melee with my best friend Luis (CaptainCrunch), we felt untouchable...as if no one could touch us at this video game. I remember asking my mom for $15 to enter the tournament, and I remember being the youngest person there. I remember losing to Crom, a Ganondorf who I am still familiar with, after being double-teamed in the free-for-all tournament.

A few weeks later I attended my first Gigabits, which was inspiring. I saw the best players in Florida, and I lost instantly to Fenrir. There I met a fellow Jigglypuff player named BluRay, a friendly guy in college who introduced me to his friend Al, who in turn introduced me to H1roshi, who in turn introduced me to WATO, the crew I am in today.

Skip forward a few months after training with my new crew. I attend a tournament in Tampa called Twilight Showdown 6. Pulling off bare wins and upsetting a high-ranked Luigi player (Aqua) and one of the best Falcons in CFL (xYz), I played my crewmate Hiroshi, and barely beat him. I then lost to Phanna again. QDVS won the tournament.

I got 3rd place. Money from smash. $27. For the first time in my life.

Then something strange occured. I started getting 3rd place at the next 6 or 7 local FL tournaments, I was dubbed "The Third Place Curse". I started actually profitting off of these tournaments, and meeting dozens, maybe hundreds of new people in the meanwhile.

Skip forward a few months.

Gigabits 20, I believe. By some miracle, I beat Lambchopz and KeepSpeedN, 2 of the best players in Florida, then losing to XIF. DaShizWiz, a tall, funny, extremely talented player, won the tournament.

I got 3rd.

At that point, I was started to be considered one of the top ten players in the State - a goal I had only dreamed of.

Skip forward a few months.

The Greatest Melee Tournament Since Brawl Came Out.

My first out of state tournament, and one of the greatest experiences of my teenage life. I met over 100 new people, laughed dozens of times, went on my first road trip without my family, all while I somehow convinced my mom to let me go.

At the tournament, I meet a strange looking guy who I later find out it Mew2King, the world's best or 2nd best player.

We play in crew battles. I two-stock his Sheik. The South crew goes insane.

I placed 5th at that tournament, losing to this one guy, ChuDat, 2-1, in a pretty close set.

$82. It was a rush I couldn't describe. My fellow Floridian, Colbol, who had beaten me in 32 tournaments beforehand in Florida, also gets 5th place. We are both quite proud of ourselves.

Afterwards, I continued to attend tournaments and started flying to Out of State tournaments with my crewmates.

Event52
Tipped Off 4 and 5
ROM1 and 2
HERB2 and 3
Genesis
NoJohns
HOPE
CEO2010
Pound 4
Apex2010

To me, that is all I need to tell of my history. Afterwards it gets hazy. I start beating people, and I reach $1000, then $2000, then $3000 in my bank account.

One day I beat a player named Armada at this big tournament.

Now I'm being called 2nd best player in the country...

It's a dream to be doing this for money. I often take it for granted.

Just know that it isn't for the money or for the pride. I play to be part of this amazing community, which has given me more friends than I can account for, and provided me with more experiences and memores than I would have gotten any other way.

Thanks for all the support everyone's given me, and I love all of you.

10,000 posts. Infinite stories.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
Holy **** man that was a really good read i can say the smash community has really saved me from hours and hours or boredom and has provided me with tons of friends and experiences that i will never forget

i love this community

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
Well holy ****.
Good ****.
I met you at HERB3, you called me Eggz Jr. lmao. You're a really cool guy though.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
following you around at HERB3, filming you, was one of the best smash experiences I've ever had.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
hey I housed you once...before the most disappointing tournament ever aka herb3

congrats on ****** ppl at apex

as a brawl player who uses rob I have to say...dont let the boos get to you. though im sure you're used to it lol

stick with it =]

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
i still remember you when you were bad :)

you were team mathematics with captain crunch

you asked me for a slice of my personal pan pizza and i hooked you up

what ever happened to those days, lol

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Great read.

I'm gonna call you HumbleBox from now on.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
I'm glad to have been at your first tournament, Juan. I'll always be at your side supporting you when I can. You've been my most favorite player for some time now.

And your success is one thing that has driven me to continue playing this game. Because we started playing melee around the same time, and your first tournaments were my first tournaments. But you had a great community of players around you to play, and I had the middle of nowhere, with the closest smasher an hour and 45 minutes away; two hours average.

I'm often jealous of your success, but I'm far more proud than I am envious. I'm glad to have been able to know you in my career, Juan.

Good job.

Now, you're going to win Pound 5, and be the best player in the world.

See you soon.

Diatenshi

Smash Lord
I was just thinking about how we need to get all the bigger name guys to do this, im sure 90% of us dont know anything about ppl like armada, kage, M2k mango, hell even Wobbles

hearing bout the beginnings is always great for a read

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
So am I correct in assuming this is a 'good read'? Jeez that's all you nubs have to say? I didn't know xtreme play was your first tourney Juan. this was a good read.

DRD

Smash Lord
Sounds weird to say but I'm proud of ya, you improved so much so fast. I had no idea back then that you'd get to where you are now. Congrats man.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
You actually got me to log into smashboards after all these months to reply to this, it was great being with you from when you were a nub and to see you being the best smasher there is, gratz bro! ^_^

p.s. who knows, this kinda inspires me to start playing melee a bit more.

-misshiroshi

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
I'm proud of you Juan. I have felt like a mentor to you, since TGMTSBCO. I went in knowing that you would do very well, (since the rule has been that anyone who could consistently beat me in FL was known on a national scale,) and seeing you place fifth was only confirmation for me.

At the same time you were so excited and surprised yourself so much that it was wonderful to see. I've really enjoyed watching you vault through the ranks of skill, and am glad you've been able to remain humble to still do it for the community.

'Cause that's the only way people stick around.
Maybe this post is a bit sappy but I feel like I've got family here too.

Also how the hell do you have 10K posts? x.x

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
You actually got me to log into smashboards after all these months to reply to this, it was great being with you from when you were a nub and to see you being the best smasher there is, gratz bro! ^_^

p.s. who knows, this kinda inspires me to start playing melee a bit more.

-misshiroshi
Man, that makes me glad! It'll be great to see you come back man.

whens the movie coming out??

i think u should get brad pitt to play u hbox

and michael cera can play ur lovable sidekick, Seibrik

It's coming out at Pound 5 ;)

I'm proud of you Juan. I have felt like a mentor to you, since TGMTSBCO. I went in knowing that you would do very well, (since the rule has been that anyone who could consistently beat me in FL was known on a national scale,) and seeing you place fifth was only confirmation for me.

At the same time you were so excited and surprised yourself so much that it was wonderful to see. I've really enjoyed watching you vault through the ranks of skill, and am glad you've been able to remain humble to still do it for the community.

'Cause that's the only way people stick around.
Maybe this post is a bit sappy but I feel like I've got family here too.

Also how the hell do you have 10K posts? x.x
Lol Exarch. You were the mentor, man. Even after all those times when I had a terrible attitude when you beat me, you still gave me advice and answered whatever questions i had.

uuaa1

Smash Journeyman
Probably waveshining really fast somewhere, K-town
You have come a long way Juan and im glad how everything has turned out. Putting out WATO out there and representing Florida and the whole South. Watching you team with Hiroshi was awesome and seeing us team was a blast too. Doesnt have to stop there though :) Anyways congrats on your 10,000 posts to this great forum belonging to a great community. But seriously Juan lets play today lol

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You've earned it.

Finch

Smash Lord
Juan I remember when no one in Florida cheered for you lol but we all love you and always have. You have consistently been one of my favorite people in the smash community and it's no surprise to me that you instantly became one of the more well known personalities in the national community at your first national tournament (hungryboxing lol). You've grown up so much since I've met you, in maturity as well as skill. I'm really happy to see you so successful and I know this trend will continue for most of your life. I love the thought that the smash community has helped you grow as much as you have. You're such a positive influence wherever you are and I look forward to see what you can achieve in the future. Much love.

Top Bottom