• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Orlando 2010 - April 16-18th ($7,000) - RESULTS THREAD IS UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Seibrik we can ask MLG to do alot of things to make it better for our community...they wont sadly. They will do it this way cause...it is sad to say but itis the best for them. They cannot be as "fair" as us TOs have been. For them the fair thing to do is start fresh and do random seeding and let things be. If that means by some RANDOM chance that M2K vs ally in the first, second or third round then so be it. That is what will be.

This is a professional organization and they do things on its own accord.

Though imo they should do things in conjunction with the grassroots community ala the NCAA regions and the NCAA tournament but thats just something I thought up... I have good ideas XD ( btw there is more to that do not look to into it its just thrown out there..i know there are more factors >_< )

But ya apex will be amazing but thats not what this thread is about.

Kel

Smash Master
The only problem with generating brackets early is that you'll see everyone who has to play M2K, Ally, ADHD and the like early all switching their entrance fees to Columbus or another event.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
guys they will not do pools. It is something that we expect from major events but this is a company that wants us in and out. That is how they operate and what they want from us.

I enjoy the MLG atmosphere but being honest. What do you expect them to do? Unless AZ talks with them ( which you can only hope he does when he can ) do not expect anything less then a 256ish bracket with random seeding with stages we may or may not like.

We gotta just...deal with this event. MLG just likes to do things..."their" way.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
The simple answer is both.

Clap has answered this question a few pages back.

Wiimotes will not be permitted.
clap stated that the signal haze would prevent wii-motes from working, no where in the post did he state that wii-motes would interfere with MLG equipment.
If this is the case, why not just let us attempt to use the wii-mote and allow us to expierience it fail by ourselves, esp if it won't affect you all in anyway.

also, sony's controller design is inferior to nintendo's controller design as far as wireless use is concerned, so using sony's engineer's is not fair

does MLG have any plans of having a bluetooth disabled wii-mote/nunchuck built for their use?

One more question, do you not allow the use of laptops, blue tooth headsets, and other blue tooth devices that players may bring with them to the event? Because wouldn't they have the same, if not worse effects that a wii-mote would have? If those devices are permitted, what exactly makes a wii-mote so much worse?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
im pretty hyped for this tourney. having a huge tourney within my state is amazing. having that same tourney within an hour drive of my house is amazing stuffed with amazing, with more amazing on top

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Seriously...im sure PS/Logic would also have done really well also...oh well...
Speaking of people who would've done well, yesterday Tearbear won a SoCal tournament and beat MikeHAZE, Havok, and DSF (in grand finals). Tyrant was there too.

He probably would've done well at MLG, too.

MLG_Deimos

<font color="dimgray"><b><i>MLG Administrator</i><
u could make the bracket based off the most possible attending

like the ideal bracket if everyone who signed up goes.

then from there, whoever doesn't show just replace their name with a bye. that way when the time comes to make the bracket, few changes have to be made, and the tourniment can start all the quicker, and now with added hype from prior bracket knowledge.
This is not possible. Without knowing who is coming, and who is not, if a bracket was made, it would be completely useless come the actual tournament time. In addition, if a bracket is announced this far in advance, it could lead to some problems which a few of you guys have been bringing up.

There will be players removed, there will be players added, etc.

We would love to be able to do this, but it just doesn't work like that. The best we can do is provide the list of the users that are attending which I posted a few pages back.

In addition, pools are just simply not possible. The tournament will be bracket only.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
im pretty hyped for this tourney. having a huge tourney within my state is amazing. having that same tourney within an hour drive of my house is amazing stuffed with amazing, with more amazing on top
gdx is a black man with a way with words i will never be able to begin to describe

Allied

Smash Master
when i'm playing

when i get CP'd green greens

when i lose

when i place top 16 in mlg

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Having Brackets posted early for this isn't a good idea. I don't know about you, but I've noticed that our community isn't the most strong willed, 100% guaranteed to come to an event if we say we are coming kind of community. Do you know how many smasher johns there are for not going to a tournament, regardless of how legit they are?

The odds of bracket being posted early, and then having to huge modifications because of changes... are almost guaranteed lol. Giving people byes wouldn't solve everything either.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
does MLG have any plans of having a bluetooth disabled wii-mote/nunchuck built for their use?
The current design of the wii mote doesn't allow for any modifications, so it'd have to be an entirely new device. Just FYI.

One more question, do you not allow the use of laptops, blue tooth headsets, and other blue tooth devices that players may bring with them to the event? Because wouldn't they have the same, if not worse effects that a wii-mote would have? If those devices are permitted, what exactly makes a wii-mote so much worse?
Most of the blue tooth equipment you come across of that sort is Class 3 or Class 2; the range itself isn't meant for long range. Wiimotes are class 1.

Think of it this way:

Class 3 would be throwing stars, Class 2 would be pistol rounds, and Class 1 would be a freaking laser beam.

Class 1 goes through walls, people, throwing stars, pistol rounds, everything. It is meant for long range and is retardedly strong. There is no reason for Wii motes to be class 1 at all, but they are, and that's awesome. I tested it on my house and was able to play super mario brothers on virtual console from my room and then again from outside. I moved a bunch of electronics near my TV and turned on my microwave and was still able to do stuff, but I don't have near the equipment that MLG does so that's irrelevant; I was just curious.

The odds of wiimotes being interefered with is insanely small. It'd take several people standing in front of the wii mote at close range and/or a ton of microwaves and laptops being used inbetween the wiimote and the TV. Just not really gonna happen with the equipment MLG will have there, and if it does it will be incredibly sporadic and rare.

The odds of wiimotes interefering with other equipment? This is a possibility, and one I can't give any comment on. When a lot of bluetooth equipment is used in one area a bluetooth "cloud" is created that can make signals hard to penetrate. Signals as strong as wiimotes may prove to be a nuisance.

I personally doubt that the 4-5 wiimote users there would cause any large bouts of intereference, but think of it more as a judgement call. Yes, you should be fine with our current knowledge, but no, it's not foolproof or guaranteed safe. Even worse, if MORE wiimote users come up, MLG couldn't turn them away if they gave you an exception. That's a pain from a management standpoint, and if the conclusion was that wiimotes can cause issues I'd have made the same call they are now; after all, they've got a full circuit ahead for Brawl and risking the integrity of their event (and putting them in hot water when there are 15-40 wiimote players instead of 4-5) for a few players is just a dangerous gamble.

So Fatal

Smash Master
This is not possible. Without knowing who is coming, and who is not, if a bracket was made, it would be completely useless come the actual tournament time. In addition, if a bracket is announced this far in advance, it could lead to some problems which a few of you guys have been bringing up.

There will be players removed, there will be players added, etc.

We would love to be able to do this, but it just doesn't work like that. The best we can do is provide the list of the users that are attending which I posted a few pages back.

In addition, pools are just simply not possible. The tournament will be bracket only.
any reason why pools are not possible? =/

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Brackets run smoother and more efficiently. Pools can take forever with ties/tie breakers and other issues like that.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Imagine a pool of Ally, M2K, ADHD, Dojo, DEHF, Lain, Anther, and Atomsk where only the top 2-4 get out, and another pool next to theirs is chalk full of randoms.

Now imagine the 3rd seed in that death pool getting to play a random, while the person who got 1st/2nd seed has to play DSF/Gnes/someone really good. The idea of having randomly seeded pools, followed by a bracket that could be just as bad/weird as a randomly seeded one, is not appealing IMO.

So Fatal

Smash Master
Imagine a pool of Ally, M2K, ADHD, Dojo, DEHF, Lain, Anther, and Atomsk where only the top 2-4 get out, and another pool next to theirs is chalk full of randoms.

Now imagine the 3rd seed in that death pool getting to play a random, while the person who got 1st/2nd seed has to play DSF/Gnes/someone really good. The idea of having randomly seeded pools, followed by a bracket that could be just as bad/weird as a randomly seeded one, is not appealing IMO.
at least i got to play 6 sets :]

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
1) It will be a double elim bracket.
2) DMG: You are completely wrong though about random pools > seeded bracket being as bad as a straight random bracket. It is close to statistically impossible that 4 of the top 10 players in the country would all happen to land in the same pool by random chance. It is highly unlikely even TWO of the top 10 in the country would fall into the same pool. As a note, the FC series ALWAYS did random pool seeding. Never were there problems, and the only real "death" pools didn't occur until their third round of pools typically when everyone was super good.

MLG use to run pools for Melee back in 2005/2006, so the assumption that pools will not/never will happen isn't totally accurate. However, for the 1st event, double elimination is the way the tournament will be run, that is for sure.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
AZ: Note that I said could, not would. I'm aware of the odds of that many top 10 players actually being in the same pool. However, you gotta admit that it's very likely there will be a higher concentration of top/really good players for MLG compared to our nationals, and that a scenario like that could happen.

Edit: The online qualifier is actually gonna happen? I was under the assumption that it got scratched off completely or something. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom