• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Orlando 2010 - April 16-18th ($7,000) - RESULTS THREAD IS UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent

Smash Champion
Absolutely.

There is also the Online Qualifier for Columbus that is open now which will help with seeding.

You can find that by going here: http://www.gamebattles.com/wii/smash-bros/ladder/10-mlg-pcoq-columbus
I'm really confused on the online qualifier, rules wise.

The lower ranked/seeded Player must choose their Character for Game 1 first. Then, the higher ranked/seeded Player must choose their Character for Game 1. If Players have the same rank in the Online Qualifier Standings, the Player with the lower Team ID must assume the role of the higher ranked Player.

Do the players communicate via chat or something on the site? Brawl's Wifi doesn't contain any chatting what so ever.

For Game 1 of each Match, the higher seeded Player must strike three Stages from the list of Starter Stages. The lower seeded Player must then strike 4 Stages from the list of Starter Stages. The higher seeded Player must then choose the Game 1 Stage from the remaining Starter Stages.

Starter Stages

* Battlefield
* Castle Siege
* Delfino Plaza
* Final Destination
* Halberd
* Smashville
* Yoshi’s Island

All the stages will be striked? :dizzy:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
AZ: Note that I said could, not would. I'm aware of the odds of that many top 10 players actually being in the same pool. However, you gotta admit that it's very likely there will be a higher concentration of top/really good players for MLG compared to our nationals, and that a scenario like that could happen.

Edit: The online qualifier is actually gonna happen? I was under the assumption that it got scratched off completely or something. Good stuff.
128 players, assuming a 32-man bracket is the goal, and getting even pools, would lead to:

1 pool of 128 (top 32 advance)
2 pools of 64 (top 16 advance)
4 pools of 32 (top 8 advance)
8 pools of 16 (top 4 advance)
16 pools of 8 (top 2 advance)

32 pools of 4 (top 1 advance)

(this is exactly why the kishes made you advance through two rounds of pools btw)

The bolded ones are the only ones that could be considered reasonable. The first because top 4 advance (thus making a stacked pool not a big deal) and the second because a pool of 8 takes far, far less time.

Let's assume we can do 8 pools of 16 with top 4 advancing.

We also need to figure out what a "top player" is; using MLG as the bar, we can say that a "top player" is at least one of the following:

top 8 at MLG
top 16 at MLG
top 32 at MLG (makes the bracket)

So we've got 8, 16, or 32 top players out of 128 players, meaning that if you randomly pulled them out of a bag, the percentage of pulling two top players together are:

8 top players: 0.0625 (6%) , or 8/128 (1/16th)
16 top players: 0.125 (12.5%) or 16/128 (1/8th)
32 top players: 0.25 (25%) or 32/128 (1/4th)

I'm just bored at work so my math could be wrong (it was never my strong suit) so someone else can come in and correct me if they want, but basically if you consider "top 8" to be "top player", you have a 6% chance with each additional player.

Depending on what you consider a "top player", the odds of getting all these super players in the same pool is pretty slim. There would undeniably be one "stacked" pool and one "easy" pool at least, but it would be acceptable on a grand scale.

MLG_Deimos

<font color="dimgray"><b><i>MLG Administrator</i><
AZ: Note that I said could, not would. I'm aware of the odds of that many top 10 players actually being in the same pool. However, you gotta admit that it's very likely there will be a higher concentration of top/really good players for MLG compared to our nationals, and that a scenario like that could happen.

Edit: The online qualifier is actually gonna happen? I was under the assumption that it got scratched off completely or something. Good stuff.
Yes, the Online Qualifier open now is for Columbus.

I'm really confused on the online qualifier, rules wise.

The lower ranked/seeded Player must choose their Character for Game 1 first. Then, the higher ranked/seeded Player must choose their Character for Game 1. If Players have the same rank in the Online Qualifier Standings, the Player with the lower Team ID must assume the role of the higher ranked Player.

Do the players communicate via chat or something on the site? Brawl's Wifi doesn't contain any chatting what so ever.

For Game 1 of each Match, the higher seeded Player must strike three Stages from the list of Starter Stages. The lower seeded Player must then strike 4 Stages from the list of Starter Stages. The higher seeded Player must then choose the Game 1 Stage from the remaining Starter Stages.

Starter Stages

* Battlefield
* Castle Siege
* Delfino Plaza
* Final Destination
* Halberd
* Smashville
* Yoshi’s Island

All the stages will be striked? :dizzy:
Yes, you should communicate on GB and play the match.

As for your 2nd question, there were two stages missing.

The Starter Stage list should be:

* Battlefield
* Castle Siege
* Delfino Plaza
* Final Destination
* Halberd
* Smashville
* Yoshi’s Island
* Lylat Cruise
* Pokémon Stadium

I have updated the rules to match that. Thanks for the catch.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
MLG Orlando Event Schedule
Friday
10:30 AM - 1:30 PM: Early Check-In
1:30 PM - 5:00 PM: Check-In / Warm-Up
5:00 PM - 5:30 PM: Welcome
5:30 PM - 9:30 PM: 1v1 Winners Round 1
9:30 PM - 11:30 PM: 1v1 Winners Round 2
11:30 PM - 12:30 AM: 1v1 Winners Round 3

Saturday
8:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Warm-Up
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM: 1v1 Losers Round 1
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM: 1v1 Losers Round 2
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM: 1v1 Losers Round 3
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM: 1v1 Losers Round 4
4:00 PM - 4:30 PM: 1v1 Winners Round 4
4:30 PM - 5:00 PM: 1v1 Losers Round 5
5:00 PM - 5:30 PM: 1v1 Losers Round 6
5:30 PM - 6:00 PM: 1v1 Winners Round 5 / Losers Round 7
6:00 PM - 6:30 PM: 1v1 Losers Round 8
6:30 PM - 7:00 PM: 1v1 Winners Round 6 / Losers Round 9
7:00 PM - 7:30 PM: 1v1 Losers Round 10
7:30 PM - 8:00 PM: 1v1 Winners Round 7 / Losers Round 11
8:00 PM - 8:30 PM: 1v1 Losers Round 12
8:30 PM - 9:15 PM: 1v1 Winners Round 8 / Losers Round 13
9:15 PM - 10:00 PM: 1v1 Losers Finals
10:00 PM - 11:15 PM: 1v1 Finals

Sunday
8:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Warm-Up
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: 2v2 Winners Round 1
11:00 AM - 11:30 AM: 2v2 Losers Round 1
11:30 AM - 12:00 PM: 2v2 Winners Round 2
12:00 PM - 12:30 PM: 2v2 Losers Round 2
12:30 PM - 1:00 PM: 2v2 Winners Round 3 / Losers Round 3
1:00 PM - 1:30 PM: 2v2 Losers Round 4
1:30 PM - 2:00 PM: 2v2 Winners Round 4 / Losers Round 5
2:00 PM - 2:30 PM: 2v2 Losers Round 6
2:30 PM - 3:00 PM: 2v2 Winners Round 5 / Losers Round 7
3:00 PM - 3:30 PM: 2v2 Losers Round 8
3:30 PM - 4:00 PM: 2v2 Winners Finals / Losers Round 9
4:00 PM - 4:45 PM: 2v2 Losers Finals
4:45 PM - 5:30 PM: 2v2 Finals

Full Season Schedule
Pro Circuit Event #1: MLG Orlando (Florida) - April 16th-18th, 2010
Pro Circuit Event #2: MLG Columbus (Ohio) - June 4th-6th, 2010
Pro Circuit Event #3: MLG Raleigh (North Carolina) - August 27th-29th, 2010
Pro Circuit Event #4: MLG Dallas (Texas) - November 5th-7th, 2010
Pro Circuit Championship: TBA

This is definitely a PROFESSIONAL Circuit...

U guys have the breakdown of EVERYTHING here

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Overswarm: You are assuming though that it's 128 men, 32 man bracket. Most tournaments that run pools that I am aware of don't aim for 32 man bracket, even if they have a lot of people. If that would be the format for MLG, then yes that would be acceptable oddwise (Also assuming we are going by the definition of whoever makes the bracket is top level player).

Because they are doing the online qualifier HOWEVER, I see no reason for people to complain about the seeding beforehand if it is in fact true that they will use those results to help seed the event. Unless some crap happens where a ton of online players who have no intention of attending join the qualifier and do well, or people rig the qualifier with other top players, then this gives people at least a starting chance to prove themselves before hand ALONG with being able to prove themselves at the event obviously.

I was not aware that they still intended to do that (thought the idea was scrapped or something).

Kith

Smash Ace
So how strict are you guys going to be about 5:30 DQ? Finals are starting to get in a lot of peoples ways...

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
ummm wtf is up with smashboards. pretty sure there were some posts after kage's unless im going crazy

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
There is no scrooging rule.

Because MK is actually the Grinch and he stole MLG.

MLG_Deimos

<font color="dimgray"><b><i>MLG Administrator</i><
So how strict are you guys going to be about 5:30 DQ? Finals are starting to get in a lot of peoples ways...
You will have around 5 minutes to get to your assigned station after your name is called, so we are pretty strict on time.

I would also advise you to get to the venue by at least 5 PM EST to ensure everything is set, and you do not risk getting DQed.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
What are the exact rules regarding the warm-up stations?

Best of 1? Best of 3?

Both players get off? Winner stays?

etc.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There will be 1 ref for ever 2-3 stations. The number of stations is not 100% set yet.

Warm ups will be best of 1. Winner stays.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Awesome, wait half an hour to play m2k in one match
The serious bouts of friendlies are gonna happen more often in hotel rooms; a warm-up session is just for that: warming up.

Besides, it's better than the traditional method. Waiting half an hour of m2k saying "okay, okay, one more" when playing Ally in friendlies.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Not 100% confirmed, but players will likely be allowed to record their matches. Don't count on this for certain yet but I believe it will be allowed. I'll ask for more details as the event gets closer.

from the article thingy said:
After you're ready, turn on the TV, and chill out. When someone else is done, make them play a few sets. Use your tag, and play it like it was a tourney set. Make them MMs if you have to. Blind, Strike, Ban, CP. You need to get your fingers and mind set for the day ahead. No one travels with hopes of taking last place, but you know what? Half the people who go will place in LAST PLACE.

That's how brackets work.
That is actually not how brackets work. 1/4th (max) of entrants will place in last in a double elimination bracket. LOL.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I heard Sky might be featured on commentary actually.

*just a rumor from WC*

edit:

They needa hit up JG wentworth, Slikvik and GDX for commentary...

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
Might as well take me off the list on the OP, because I'm sure not coming until wiimote is unbanned.
you could be like me and shoot for top 50 :s

@overswarm (directed at you since mlg manages to not respond a lot to wii-mote posts)

what wireless equipment would mlg even be using? they don't permit wireless controllers for other systems... and i would think they would be using desktops over laptops... is there something i'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom