• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Columbus 2010 - June 4-6th - $7,000 - Ally, M2K...everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MLG does not take taxes out of your prize checks. It is on you to pay your own taxes. What MLG does that others don't though, because they are a legit company, is report what was paid to whom. That means the IRS knows you won money. The % you owe though is gonna be the same at MLG or at GAMME, the difference is you probably could get away not paying taxes at GAMME (even though you are legally responsible to and I would recommended you do, especially if you are a top player who makes 10K+ a year in Smash because that makes you a target, Ken use to pay taxes on ALL his winnings from ANY tournament).

I don't know Canada's tax code, but from Wikipedia
Canada levies personal income tax on the worldwide income of individuals resident in Canada
I would assume Ally does in fact need to pay taxes on his winnings in America (this goes for every tournament, not just MLG). He is basically defrauding the Canadian government if he does not report.

Again, this stuff applies to EVERY tournament. Not just MLG. If you make a decent amount off the game you really should consider paying taxes, even if all the money you earned was cash from local tournaments. As for the percent it likely varies based on how much you made and what bracket you are in. It would probably count at a minimin as self imployment, which means at <$8,000 (or $4,000 I forget) then you need to pay 15% cause thats for SS/Medicare (this is US). If you make more then that in a year you probably get bumped up into the 30-40% threshold. This is if you count this money as income from work. If the government views it as "winnings" like the lottery or gambling in Vegas, then you could be paying upwards of 40-50%. You can factor in your expenses though which should lower the amount you owe.

Just to make sure this is perfectly clear: this applies to any tournament you have ever been to. If you have been making 10k + a year in Smash and have not paid taxes I can guarantee that if the IRS found out you would get audited. If its uder 10k you should check the tax code, I've heard different points at which you need to report ranging from as little as $800, $4,000, and $8,000. This could also be effected from your expenses (say you make $6,000 but spent $5,000 in traveling/lodging, I would say its iffy if you need to pay taxes but you should look into it).

Most of you guys are NOT unemployed and are simply listed as dependents for your parents, which means you have to pay taxes on small sums (unlike if you are independent and unemployed, in which case you don't pay unless you earn more then the poverty line or so).

I'm not an expert on this stuff, you guys should definitely look into this stuff on your own, especially if you are a higher earner in the Smash community (there are at least 30 of you out there making more then 10k).

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Yosh, I'll do it for 10?

And Mikehaze, i don't think we played a single match at Orlando :(

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
MLG does not take taxes out of your prize checks. It is on you to pay your own taxes. What MLG does that others don't though, because they are a legit company, is report what was paid to whom. That means the IRS knows you won money. The % you owe though is gonna be the same at MLG or at GAMME, the difference is you probably could get away not paying taxes at GAMME (even though you are legally responsible to and I would recommended you do, especially if you are a top player who makes 10K+ a year in Smash because that makes you a target, Ken use to pay taxes on ALL his winnings from ANY tournament).

I don't know Canada's tax code, but from Wikipedia

I would assume Ally does in fact need to pay taxes on his winnings in America (this goes for every tournament, not just MLG). He is basically defrauding the Canadian government if he does not report.

Again, this stuff applies to EVERY tournament. Not just MLG. If you make a decent amount off the game you really should consider paying taxes, even if all the money you earned was cash from local tournaments. As for the percent it likely varies based on how much you made and what bracket you are in. It would probably count at a minimin as self imployment, which means at <$8,000 (or $4,000 I forget) then you need to pay 15% cause thats for SS/Medicare (this is US). If you make more then that in a year you probably get bumped up into the 30-40% threshold. This is if you count this money as income from work. If the government views it as "winnings" like the lottery or gambling in Vegas, then you could be paying upwards of 40-50%. You can factor in your expenses though which should lower the amount you owe.

Just to make sure this is perfectly clear: this applies to any tournament you have ever been to. If you have been making 10k + a year in Smash and have not paid taxes I can guarantee that if the IRS found out you would get audited. If its uder 10k you should check the tax code, I've heard different points at which you need to report ranging from as little as $800, $4,000, and $8,000. This could also be effected from your expenses (say you make $6,000 but spent $5,000 in traveling/lodging, I would say its iffy if you need to pay taxes but you should look into it).

Most of you guys are NOT unemployed and are simply listed as dependents for your parents, which means you have to pay taxes on small sums (unlike if you are independent and unemployed, in which case you don't pay unless you earn more then the poverty line or so).

I'm not an expert on this stuff, you guys should definitely look into this stuff on your own, especially if you are a higher earner in the Smash community (there are at least 30 of you out there making more then 10k).
well I did enjoy my gamebattles 2000$ check lol. and that was a WHILEEEEEE ago. it even became 2105$ with the currency diff lmao. I don't think I pay taxes, I even tell to the canadian border everytime I come back there that I won certain amount of money during this tourney.

They don't give a **** LOL they just tell me, good **** winning yo, welcome back. GG america!
I'm getting really tired of this Tax bull****

MetalPat

Smash Ace
MLG does not take taxes out of your prize checks. It is on you to pay your own taxes. What MLG does that others don't though, because they are a legit company, is report what was paid to whom. That means the IRS knows you won money. The % you owe though is gonna be the same at MLG or at GAMME, the difference is you probably could get away not paying taxes at GAMME (even though you are legally responsible to and I would recommended you do, esp........

......I'm not an expert on this stuff, you guys should definitely look into this stuff on your own, especially if you are a higher earner in the Smash community (there are at least 30 of you out there making more then 10k).
wow. for any non business based person to know that much information is beyond my mind. I am even at school for business and that **** isn't in my head :p i don't know what to feel right now.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
They don't give a **** LOL they just tell me, good **** winning yo, welcome back. GG america!
I'm getting really tired of this Tax bull****
The guys you see at the border are not the same people who care about whether or not you are paying your taxes. Their duty is not to tax you, and while I don't know much about Canadian tax code, I know enough to tell you that same border security agent isn't gonna know whether or not you have to pay taxes on a check from the United States. Ally unless you have actually talked to someone who specifically knows your tax code then you really, really shouldn't think you don't pay anything, because it is more likely then not that you do.

AllyKnight

The guys you see at the border are not the same people who care about whether or not you are paying your taxes. Their duty is not to tax you, and while I don't know much about Canadian tax code, I know enough to tell you that same border security agent isn't gonna know whether or not you have to pay taxes on a check from the United States. Ally unless you have actually talked to someone who specifically knows your tax code then you really, really shouldn't think you don't pay anything, because it is more likely then not that you do.
its cool though, ill pay em if I need to lol

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
At the end of the day, MLG Columbus determines who gets $200 stipends at Raleigh. Thats $3,200 split to the top 16 ranked players before MLG Raleigh even takes place. Then on top of that you don't need to worry about attendance, $7,000 is being paid to top 8 whether 50 people show or 256.
Well...at 1200 points already, it's mathematically impossible for M2K (and, by extension, Ally (but not anybody else)) to not get pro status and the $200 stipend at Raleigh, even with as many people as possible placing exactly such that they'll just barely pass 1200 (or 1000) points but still be low enough to allow the maximum number of people to do so

And, rumours of shady sponsors aside, i think there's a lot less risk involved with GAMME when all the major players are gonna be at MLG anyways...

I don't wanna get in some sorta math war with you, but it seems like a perfectly good option for M2K to go to GAMME over Columbus

*goes back to lurking*

ESOJOSE

Smash Ace
Teammate List.

Hunger
Candy
Kbizzle
ESOJ

Anyone else?
Did you know that:

teaming with me

has some nice benefits, including:

your own bucket of:

and to wash it all down, you get your choice of:

and if thats not enough, you get plenty of(i'm a diddy player):

So remember, when deciding on a partner:

Think ESOJ!!!! XD

FrankTheFoot

Smash Cadet
If M2K goes to GAMME, he can also get prize money from Melee. He can't do that at MLG. Just sayin.

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
Dang it i wanna come to this, oh and halberd the plans to team with CO were made cuz i thought you werent coming to MLG, idc its up to you and CO if you still wanna team you gotta find a teammate thats as equally good in teams or something like that but thats on the basis that i'm coming

which im not entirely sure about...

AllyKnight

Dang it i wanna come to this, oh and halberd the plans to team with CO were made cuz i thought you werent coming to MLG, idc its up to you and CO if you still wanna team you gotta find a teammate thats as equally good in teams or something like that but thats on the basis that i'm coming

come prove that MLG Orlando wasn't just home field advantage MUWAHAHHAHA

OverLade

Smash Hero

If you're coming we're teaming. How soon will you know if you're coming? Right after Finals I can confirm myself.

So Fatal

Smash Master
That will get you no where ;)

You need to submit a ticket on Gamebattles with the Category, Prize: Claim Form: http://gamebattles.com/account/newticket.php
to be honest deimos, the ticket system did not help at all getting my gamebattles money, I contacted someone from MLG and they got the ball rolling. I waiting 7 months for GB and they did nothing, I contacted, clap/nexy from MLG and got my check in a month from doing that.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
That will get you no where ;)

You need to submit a ticket on Gamebattles with the Category, Prize: Claim Form: http://gamebattles.com/account/newticket.php
i did, and they responded to my ticket and i faxed in the required documents, they told me its been processed it'll be 3-4 weeks till my check comes in the mail but that was 2 months ago lol

edit: wait fatal got his way before i did? i placed higher than him lol

unless he won money in a playoff before the one i did too

So Fatal

Smash Master
i did, and they responded to my ticket and i faxed in the required documents, they told me its been processed it'll be 3-4 weeks till my check comes in the mail but that was 2 months ago lol

edit: wait fatal got his way before i did? i placed higher than him lol

unless he won money in a playoff before the one i did too
Nah same one, GB is waste of time, you need to contact mlg to get it going.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
If you're coming we're teaming. How soon will you know if you're coming? Right after Finals I can confirm myself.
In order 4 HrNUT 2 go anywhere U have to Kidnap him...

In which I will b doin next week when both of U are comin 2 my tourney :-p

:sonic:

CO18

Smash Hero
Yeah Deimos Ive submitted like ALOT of tickets and faxed in my stuff numerous times and they always have some excuse. MLG owes me 750$ I won two separate prizes of 200 and 750 after like 5 tries they finally said they got my faxes then I only get me 200$ prize even though I faxed both of the forms in at the exact same moment then after I contact them again same process they keep saying they haven't gotten it.
Who did you talk to fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom