• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MKGD: A new Bat watches over the town

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Eh, in my opinion, whatever you do doesn't really matter as long as you're enjoying yourself and it's not at the expense of others. Some of the happiest people I know are in that low income bracket and make just enough to support themselves or their family, but if they can make it work, more power to them. As a prospective performing musician, that's something I've come to accept for myself and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way, because then I'd probably be doing something I don't like. Anyway, to each his (or her) own.

@kassandranova, yeah, all of that sucks, and to an extent, similar standards are placed on men as well, but the way I've always seen it is if you don't agree with all of those standards and expectations and whatnot, then the goal is something that's not for you anyway. Just look for something you can completely enjoy while the rest of the world tears itself apart over things that don't really matter.

Staco

Smash Champion
There is nothing wrong with investing some extensive time into Smash or anything geeky for that matter as long as you're sensible enough to keep your life in check.

Look at Hungrybox.
Tell me about HBox pls.
Is he really successful in life or what?
I'm interested in it.

And yeah.
I also think that someone really rich and powerful doesn't find quite as much satisfaction than someone on lower levels of society and money, who knows how to live his life.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Most people are also pretty shallow too, so sometimes it's about looks too. Example: a girl with an amazing voice who sings in a band, but she isn't pretty and she's fat. Her chances of getting famous compared to a girl who can sing pretty average but has an amazing body and is gorgeous? Ehh.
(must...stop before I go on a rant on society's forced standards onto women...*the feminist in me is silenced*)
there is some of that but it's also that the music industry isn't really about music to begin with, it's about getting people to buy into an image. most artists spend a lot of time working on their public persona because that will sell records far more reliably than anything they do in the studio(just look at lady gaga)

and I agree with rei that the same happens to men but in a broader sense it goes beyond gender roles as well, there are many different roles that any given person must play and they all come with their own expectations. I feel like our social system programs us to live in dissonance because of how these roles often conflict with each other, it's like you have to be more than one person

Exdeath

Smash Master
I feel like our social system programs us to live in dissonance because of how these roles often conflict with each other, it's like you have to be more than one person
As far as I know, every social system features this trait.

Tell me about HBox pls.
Is he really successful in life or what?
I'm interested in it.
Hungrybox is socially active in high school and Smash is a relatively low priority. You'd be surprised how much free time that you have when you manage it well.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Well....first off...when girls open a magazine, and I see nothing but ads and models of girls looking like this...

Perfect, size 0 gorgeous women (sometimes photoshopped) on every page puts an impossible standard of beauty in most girls minds, and plays into girl's securities, leading to eating disorders. :( But it is your own responsibility to love yourself and be comfortable with your own self image. :/

Reizilla

Holy ****, the high tide would probably break that chick in half.

Up with hope, down with Photoshop.

Reizilla

Well....first off...when girls open a magazine, and I see nothing but ads and models of girls looking like this...

Perfect, size 0 gorgeous women (sometimes photoshopped) on every page puts an impossible standard of beauty in most girls minds, and plays into girl's securities, leading to eating disorders. :( But it is your own responsibility to love yourself and be comfortable with your own self image. :/
http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/...le/995112--parents-keep-child-s-gender-secret

Staco

Smash Champion
Funny thing is:
A lot of man don´t even care if woman look overly perfect.
Like, I met with this one girl and we went swimming and she was like super embarrassed because of not having used any makeover, even while she was looking pretty good without it.

edit: yay, my new avatar fits perfectly to the color of my name :D

etecoon

Smash Hero
As far as I know, every social system features this trait.
I think it's become more of an issue in modern times because of technology, but true I guess it exists to some extent in any form of civilization

it kind of makes me think of our society as bipolar, you see girls like that that become anorexic and **** and yet you also see people that have to have their wall broken down so a forklift can get them out of their home, and mcdonalds is still wildly successful <_< not enough level headed people in the middle of that I feel like(not just eating habits you can look at almost anything and it seems like people fall to such extremes...)

Funny thing is:
A lot of man don´t even care if woman look overly perfect.
Like, I met with this one girl and we went swimming and she was like super embarrassed because of not having used any makeover, even while she was looking pretty good without it.
I think most women overdo the makeup pretty badly, so many of them go around looking like clowns but they act embarrassed to NOT go out like that...

Reizilla

Sooooo much that, yes. I'd like to actually see a girl's real face >_>

V

Smash Ace
^^^ this

Just a little eye shadow/mascara whatever it is and soft natural looking lipstick and I'm very happy

:phone:

Exdeath

Smash Master

She looks kind of gross to me haha.

Reizilla

I heard about that. I figure the name is too lame for someone to make up. It's not confirmed real yet, right?

Master Raven

Smash Master
I hope there is a new SSB announced. If there is one it would be interesting to see what direction it takes in terms of the gameplay mechanics.

And I hope to god home consoles get their wifi act together.

In fact, that makes me wonder, how would wifi affect offline tournaments if it was 100% lag-free? Even if it's a ludicrous idea at least think about it for a moment.

Reizilla

That's impossibly hard to tell. A lot of good could come of it, such as a faster growing community, faster advancing (WC wouldn't have matchup johns :awesome:) but then at the same time, it could negatively effect the offline tournament scene with online ladders and such being much more legitimate and a much more feasible means of practice. But then again, if it was just better, and not necessarily perfect, it could help, like it does the Street Fighter scene, where people still have it as a means of good practice when they can't be so active.

Although 100% lag-free would kinda negate the need to travel to tournaments :p (save for hype and money and all the cool stuff)

Anyway, I'm not too hyped for a SSB4. By some miracle, each game comes out more playable than the last, but sooner or later we'll stop getting so lucky.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I have no hype for SSB4, 99% chance that I won't even buy nintendo's next console anyway. they ****ed up waaaaay too hard the past 5 years, completely shattered my previous opinion of them

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Aww Kassy I miss your old avi but this one is swag too [:
Oh yeah? xD Well I miss you're skyla avie! :<

I kinda don't really like this one so I'll probably change it soon.

Well...that fake picture still got me excited about a new smash game! Oh boy oh boy!
:D
I wonder if it'll be bad?
I think we'll all be really excited about it, and buy it, just like how Zelda fans swear they aren't going to buy OOT again, and then BAM! Another re-release, and they buy it. ^_^

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'll play it.
IDK if I'll try and be good at it, but I will definetly give it a good try.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I have no hype for SSB4, 99% chance that I won't even buy nintendo's next console anyway. they ****ed up waaaaay too hard the past 5 years, completely shattered my previous opinion of them
QFT. Exactly how I feel.
only way I'd buy it is if either Jigglypuff was not a garbage character or if Mewtwo was put in and wasn't a garbage character either.
I still love Nintendo's handheld consoles, waiting for 3DS lite

Top Bottom