• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MKGD: A new Bat watches over the town

V

Smash Ace
True but I guess my point was M2K isn't the best anymore. He's gotten by with his tech skill for a long time but other mk's are way smarter like anti ally tyrant and dojo. I've always felt M2K's biggest problem was that he always dashes and rarely walks and he hardly ever mixes things up.

:phone:

Exdeath

Smash Master
M2K soft-quit Brawl, so of course he's going to be worse than he was. Do you know how much effort he put into staying sharp?

V

Smash Ace
I know dojo quit but he still was smarter than jason. And honestly all the time he put into this game was a huge waste. In ten years will jason like the 2011 jason or will he wish he spent his time productively. Practicing 8 hours a day for a video game is a waste. Take his money earned in brawl and divide by his hours put into it and see how much he made per hour. Then look at how much was put back into it for flights and other smash related expenses. How much did he save? Was it worth it overall? I'm not the best smasher or even close, but in life, what the hell does being a pro smasher mean? How many jobs will that get you? How many 2nd dates will that get you? Can you put that on a resume? Does it raise your credit score? The answer is no for all of them.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I know dojo quit but he still was smarter than jason. And honestly all the time he put into this game was a huge waste. In ten years will jason like the 2011 jason or will he wish he spent his time productively. Practicing 8 hours a day for a video game is a waste. Take his money earned in brawl and divide by his hours put into it and see how much he made per hour. Then look at how much was put back into it for flights and other smash related expenses. How much did he save? Was it worth it overall? I'm not the best smasher or even close, but in life, what the hell does being a pro smasher mean? How many jobs will that get you? How many 2nd dates will that get you? Can you put that on a resume? Does it raise your credit score? The answer is no for all of them.

It really isn't your place to judge whether or not his time is wasted. You see it as being a lot of effort for little benefit, but I see it as working your dream job and traveling for a living. Can working at Burger King give you that? Can working at Burger King give you the satisfaction of being the best at something, especially at something so competitive?

V

Smash Ace
Lol id never wanna be jason and dgaf about my place he should ask himself those questions and answer honestly. No, burger king cant do that, but what is your net profit from burger king vs smash? How much of your money do you put back into burger king vs smash and how much do you make per hour with both? You can't even call it a dream job since this won't even last long and it can't get you anywhere after its done. What's jason gonna say to an interviewer when they ask why he has no work history in his early 20s? "Oh I was a pro gamer and I didn't have time for a job." How will that bode for him when it matters? Is he gonna be a pro smasher at age 35? He's gonna outlast smash by several decades and how will his choice to spend his life on it now affect his life then?

Exdeath

Smash Master
Lol id never wanna be jason and dgaf about my place he should ask himself those questions and answer honestly. No, burger king cant do that, but what is your net profit from burger king vs smash? How much of your money do you put back into burger king vs smash and how much do you make per hour with both? You can't even call it a dream job since this won't even last long and it can't get you anywhere after its done. What's jason gonna say to an interviewer when they ask why he has no work history in his early 20s? "Oh I was a pro gamer and I didn't have time for a job." How will that bode for him when it matters? Is he gonna be a pro smasher at age 35? He's gonna outlast smash by several decades and how will his choice to spend his life on it now affect his life then?

Your point of view is incredibly limited.

V

Smash Ace
Hahaha actually my life is fine and I make good money for my age because of my point of view gg

Exdeath

Smash Master
Hahaha actually my life is fine and I make good money for my age because of my point of view gg

"For my age" implies that your income isn't very good, except when compared to those within your age bracket (whatever that is). Either way, money isn't everything. It doesn't matter if you're making a lot of money if you don't enjoy what you do.

V

Smash Ace
I make 26K a year and I'm 21 without a degree. There's people that are 50 that don't make that much. I'm also a talented musician and working on making a career in music while also going to school for a business degree.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I make 26K a year and I'm 21 without a degree. There's people that are 50 that don't make that much. I'm also a talented musician and working on making a career in music while also going to school for a business degree.

You're somewhat proving my point...

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Man is today try and prove that you're better than everyone else by putting others down day? I was unaware. I guess I didn't get the memo.

Also I'm pretty sure that now-a-days it's mostly about who you know, not so much as how much you know.
@_@

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
For the most part, yeah, it is, unfortunately.

Which, I'm sure is the reasoning for why M2K flew around the country, seemingly having fun or just making money, all these years. Building up important contacts across the country.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I live in KY sir. I'm probably going to try to go to Cot5 maybe? If you wanna mm there.
Might be hard.... But I'll remember the MM until I somehow got there!!

On a more unrelated note, don't you love it when people with ugly babies think their kid is like the cutest thing in existence..? But when in reality it's not... ugh. I don't want to hurt my friend's feelings, especially when he's bragging about his baby...he's just a happy dad, but whew... please shut up about yo babay. (now I'm tempted to post a picture lmao then you'll know what I'm talking about)
Happy daddies are hilarous.
After a while, they may become annoying after a while... But least, they're happy.

Pirates 4 came out. Awww yeah.
never been hyped bout Pirates... :/
I don't think it's bad, but I don't think is THAT good....

lol @ everyone wanna play coco
It´s like: "why even make male characters in videogames?"
girls play female chars, boys play female chars :D
inb4Touhou

Who else thinks Anti is the best mk now?

With M2K out of the game now, there's lots of good (Tyrant), smart (Anti) and technical (Nairo) MKs here and there.

I want to, but Ally also plays mk, and beats anti almost every time. @_@
He's not straight MK, so....

True but I guess my point was M2K isn't the best anymore. He's gotten by with his tech skill for a long time but other mk's are way smarter like anti ally tyrant and dojo. I've always felt M2K's biggest problem was that he always dashes and rarely walks and he hardly ever mixes things up.

M2K's reign fell...... again.....
I mean, if he had care for practice and improve, that probably wouldn't have happened....
as in, they should've acknowledge other people tend to improve :V

V

Smash Ace
All I'm saying is will jason look back and think his time while young was spent wisely or will he let it slip away. Now's the time to set up your future and this period only happens once. Will you have fun now and struggle for the rest of your life or will you work yourself and enjoy your life later on in ways you couldn't do now.

There's no hate sir just putting a serious question to jason and everybody honestly. Jason was just my example since everybody knows about him and his time spent on this game.

@kassy if it was all about who you know then nobody would get anywhere because someone had to rise to success without knowing anybody in order for knowing that person to matter

C.J.

Smash Master
@kassy if it was all about who you know then nobody would get anywhere because someone had to rise to success without knowing anybody in order for knowing that person to matter

You know that part where she said "now-a-days."
It means that currently.
As in, not necessarily true in the past.
As in, someone in the past did rise up on his own merits.

V

Smash Ace
And still are. Who cares who you know if you suck at what you do. People aren't going to risk their credibility if you can't perform.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawl

That was a good one.

In particular, look to anything on TV.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Smash shouldn't be about money, looking back on it smash is a hobby not a job. People who are in it for the money only take the game to seriously. Why do you think people main who they have the most fun with? This game is fun and should be played for fun. His "net gain" is the irreplaceable memories that he got from this game. Yes that probably won't be getting him a job but that's different you can smash and work too. I love this game, I love playing MK and I love the people in the community that's why I play.

V

Smash Ace
TV is the only exception. Its the only line of work where mediocrity can make you millions. And to a certain degree music too.

I play because I love it too but I don't devote so much time that I sacrifice priorities.

V

Smash Ace
I mentioned how Anti was the best mk and somebody said something about how much time he put into it

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
All I'm saying is will jason look back and think his time while young was spent wisely or will he let it slip away. Now's the time to set up your future and this period only happens once. Will you have fun now and struggle for the rest of your life or will you work yourself and enjoy your life later on in ways you couldn't do now.

There's no hate sir just putting a serious question to jason and everybody honestly. Jason was just my example since everybody knows about him and his time spent on this game.

I just wanna say, you don't have to be obsessive to be good at this game. Even if you only played with someone of comparable level (hopefully better than you) once a week and maybe a couple tourneys a month you'd be fine and get better. Just a bit more gradually. Nothing wrong with caring about smash. And i'm pretty sure the same argument could be made for college life lol. I'd rather mix fun and responsibility just like 90% of all other people do.

V

Smash Ace
That's completely fine I just hope he didn't spend so much time on his mk that he has a few year setback to overcome now

Staco

Smash Champion
I first wanted to disagree with SFH, but actually he is telling the right things.
Jason spent way 2 much time into the game.
I even think people can be that good without spending that much time for smash = playing training mode during the week, that wont bring you much actually and is just a big waste of time, doing it a bit, okay, but doing it 6+ hours a days, wtf?

People shouldnt just fix on one single thing.
Like, I also cant imagine someone getting statisfied in his future life, if he just cares for his job and nothing else, live being way 2 boring that way and not being statisfied that much.

Actually playing smash itself isnt that bad.
It´s fun to travel around, you can learn a lot from it, get social contacts, and so on.
Its a pretty fun hobby, which also brings you some benefits, the most important one is getting statisfied.

Like a few weeks in newspaper there was an article about being the fan of a soccer club. (in america it would be baseball or sth.)
And then eh author said, while some people say its senseless to do this its actual the best thing someone can do, because being a fan will give you social contacts, emotional relationships, fullfill your life.
Thats actually the same for hobbies in my opinion.

As long as they don´t take away your full life, just a part of it and you dont waste your future cause of them, then its actually fine to have them.

I for example play smash on weekends most of the time, like 1 day every weekend and sometimes during week, but I will never spent 6+ hours every day for it and I think its perfectly fine for a hobby.
I got other things next to smash to care about, friends, school (which just finished now) etc. and Im taking all of them serious, even if I like smash the most as one of them, cause I love competition and smash is something where I can compete. (still the people etc. got the main reason now, why I play it, and Im not just playing it for the game anymore, its cause of having fun with the people, we dont even just go smashing, we also do other things)

If your busy with jobs etc. you have to step it back, if your not busy you can live your hobby some more. (like me almost playing no smash over the last month, cause of school exams, now they finished and I play a lot, cause of upcoming tourneys and a lot of freetime, which I can better do my hobby than wasting time at home doing nothing)

I also dislike StarCraft, because if you want to get good at that game you seriously have to spent all your time for it and even in that case you have to be lucky to get one of the best by having talent.
In smash its different, cause you cant do it as a job.
All smashers dont spent all of their time on smash, every one of them just takes it as a single part of their live.
M2K is one of the examples, who probably spent all his time next to school? for it, but as you can see it also got him some benefits, he has like found some friends, made social contacts, he even got a girlfriend etc.
Living your hobby a lot is also a strategy to work with social insufficiency.

Coming back to the, why playing smash thing:
I love smash cause of the people, the hype at tourneys, the competition.
Like none of my reasons to play it is the game itself any more.
Its about the people around it.
I can tell you: noone of you would play smash, if it just was for the game and if just like 10 people played it.

edit: by playing that much and getting that good he also kind of lost the competition. he once told in a block its no fun to him any more. thats also a thing that will happen, if you overreact in sth.
of course everyone wants to get better, but if you get 2 good by for example spending way 2 much time the competition gets lost for you, one of the reasons, why some people play this game

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I can agree with pretty much most of what Staco and Sync said. Although, I don't dislike Starcraft though, I just don't really know how to play it, I just know how much a lot of people enjoy it.

The reason I play this game is because it's fun, and I love the environment and meeting amazing people who are as into games as I am. For a long time, I thought I was like one of 200 people in the U.S. that have actually played and enjoyed the Mother games, but I have met a lot of smashers who have played them, and that really brings me joy. I also love the competition, I love the challenge, and I feel that honestly, if I'm feeling great that I can beat anyone at this game. :D (I also feel that if people are feeling good that anyone can beat anyone).

Also, yes I believe that it is mostly about who you know, or in some girl's cases, who you have sex with, or how little you wear and what you pretend to be into. It's sad, and it's not right, but it's true. Most people are also pretty shallow too, so sometimes it's about looks too. Example: a girl with an amazing voice who sings in a band, but she isn't pretty and she's fat. Her chances of getting famous compared to a girl who can sing pretty average but has an amazing body and is gorgeous? Ehh.
(must...stop before I go on a rant on society's forced standards onto women...*the feminist in me is silenced*)

So who cares what you do, or what you spend your time on. As long as you're happy, who cares? :)
<3<3<3
I have met a bunch of wonderful people from this game!

Master Raven

Smash Master
There is nothing wrong with investing some extensive time into Smash or anything geeky for that matter as long as you're sensible enough to keep your life in check.

Look at Hungrybox.

V

Smash Ace
There's a rock band from the 70s named heart and the singer and guitar player were sisters. The singer was really cute AND had an amazing voice and they were popular. In the 80s she started gaining weight and couldn't lose it even with substantial effort to do so. Their popularity fell off at that point. Coincedence? I THINK NOT!!!

links24

Smash Ace
In this world you've got to be strong
You've got to fight to keep your spirit alive
And you might feel like there is
nothing left to go for and fight for
But it's the fight that keeps us ready and on guard

Even I can feel feel the power
When I think of him
I see no fear, feel no pain

Forever he will be my hero