• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK destroy's G&W. Let me teach you.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Ok, so a lot of people think GW vs MK is even. I myself thought this for a long time. I have recently played hours on end with M2K though and got to play Dojo a ton and my opinion of the match-up has changed. Not because I lost, but because of what I learned. M2K taught me a lot of things. The reason GW seems to go even with MK is because most MK players approach the match wrong. You have to play a bit differently against GW with MK.

Ok, let's get started.

Let's start this lesson off with the Bair. GW has an amazing bair and many people have problems with it. Guess what though?

Bair is almost useless against MK.

That's right. So far, only two MK players have known about this when I played them and that was M2K and LeeMartin(because M2K told him). It's a very simple trick to get around his bair. Basically, if you ever see GW bair and you are on the ground...then just press upB right when the bair reaches you. The invincibility frames on MK's upB let's you hit GW out of his bair with upB. Don't even shield, just upB. If you shield they can space it to avoid the upB out of shield but if you just upB right before the turtle hits you then you will hit GW.

After you do this a few times, most GW players will just fall apart. Many of them rely on bair and once you shut it down they don't know what to do.

Now, I actually don't rely on bair. I'm known to not use it much at all compared to other GW players, so this didn't effect me THAT much considering I am very good without it. BUT it IS one of GW's best moves and without it you can be pressured into some really hard situations. Against M2K I would stop using it for awhile then randomly use it and he would still catch me out of it with UpB. The only time I could hit him with bair was in the air. With this tool gone MK can start to pick away at the rest of GW's game.

Now, some more information :).

When playing against GW, just walk away from him and Fsmash. Yes, this works. Fsmash hit's high and will ruin the majority of GW's approach. It has almost no lag after and GW is really really really hardpressed to punish it. After you hit them a few times, they will start to do really obvious things to get around it. They will jump over you and Dair. This is almost the only way to get around a MK who is walking away and fsmashing. Since you know they are going to do this, all you have to do is shield both hits of the dair(it hits twice and throws many people off guard so just make sure you shield both hits) and then drop your shield and dsmash. It's really easy.

So, with up'bing, fsmashing, and shielding GW's dair you have effectivly shut down almost anything GW can do.

Smart players will gain stage position on you though and force you near the edge. This isn't really a problem. Mix up fairs to Ftilts and Dtilts. Dash grab, or other things.

Some great moves to use against GW: Ftilt when he dtilts, Nado if you see him bair when not close to you, if they full hop fair you can uair them, retreating fair on their shield to ftilt is good, glide attack to nair to ftilt is good if you can get it off...

Now, some MORE things :).

Edgeguarding!

GW is a very hard character to edgeguard for most people. He has a very good recovery. Well, MK can punish it pretty easily. Make them drop low to recover and then hug the edge right before they up-B. They will land on the lip of the edge and there is enough lag for you to ledgehop a nair on them. Delay the nair a very tiny bit so it hits with both hits and sends them backwards off the edge. This works almost every single time.

If GW already has the edge then walk a bit away from it and charge fsmash. Once you see him make movement, let go and then Dsmash as soon as possibile. The only thing GW can really do to this is up B away. If you see him up B then after the Fsmash jump up and backwards twice. GW should airdodge because he is in range for an upB, so just wait and then punish.

On to the next subject!

What to do if GW grabs you!

Most GW players will Dthrow you. Make sure you know the timing on the tech. It's not that hard. Otherwise you will eat a dsmash. Mix up your techs randomly so they have trouble hitting you.

Better GW players will Uthrow you. Once they uthrow, try and get to the ledge as quickly as possibile. Gliding is a good way to do this. The edge is the safest way back on to the stage. It's almost impossibile to get back on the ground without taking damage from a good GW player.

Things to watch out for:

GW's Dtilt. GW players like to Dtilt after their smashes to cover themselves. This is really hard to punish, so be careful. And try not to get grabbed.

If you are recovering and choose to glide, be aware that GW can run off and fair you really really low. Also be aware that GW's Dtilt will hit MK's up B from the ledge.

There you have it.

You might be wondering why I made this topic considering I main GW.

My only response to that is:

To better my game and understanding of the match-up.

Enjoy MK players.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Kuhl lol

Most ppl though that GaW goes even with MK lawl..guess we were wrong all teh time. So is there even a MK match-up left, that's worse then 60:40 ?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hylian, why aren't you making that ***** approach you?

I'm surprised you haven't covered that at all. Besides if he's walking away and F-smashing, you should camp as well.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
HYLIAN WHYYYYYYYYYY

why do you tell people my only 2 strategies against GW that I told you

1) walk away F smash
2) up B
3) (which you didn't tell them) get up attack fromt he ledge (does like 10 or 8 damage and hits them reverse off the stage again and is not hard to do)

now you let everyone know, I thought you said you didn't want people to know!

I figured this out through my own testing playing Velocity in the earlier days of brawl, it doesn't mean everyone should just copy it, you are making it much harder for yourself by doing this, I don't understand

nade camping snake goes even with MK

btw hylian, this is only if you approach while I camp, if GW camps back just as hard it's not that bad. You can use GW key (dair) to beat F smash, then while they are in the air, be smart with Nair/Uair/Up smash

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Btw, I'm gonna add, the reason why I've always considered MK vs G&W close is not cause of G&W's B-air, but because of how G&W can CAMP MK.

D-tilt for example is gay for MK to work around since pretty much only MK's special attacks work effectively against it, which G&W has several ways of punishing.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
all MKs ground game gets shut down by a perfect camping olimar

MK can just dair camp, try to land behind olimar, or tornado

however if he tries to Dair camp olimar can just up B him (or fair or up smash also sometimes work)

olimar blocks tornado really easily compared to most characters, and tornado does very little damage to olimar.

all MK can really do vs a perfect olimar do is hope olimar doesn't camp perfectly, or gimp him... infinite dimensional cape? lol

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
MK destroys Olimar

I thought this would be a good place to post this.

MK destroys Olimar. It's not even. It's not slightly advantaged for MK. It's around 65-35 to 70-30ish.

1.) You've got one approach that shuts down Olimar. Use an aerial>spaced dtilt spam. It beats out shieldgrabs. Olimar's grab doesn't have grab armor. So please. Abuse what you've got.

=profit

2.) Now, you may be thinking, "But his pivotgrab is sick!". You don't have to do anything about it. When he pivotgrabs, it pushes him to the edge of the stage. Just be patient until he's standing on the edge. Then he won't be able to pivotgrab anymore.

=profit.

3.)Falling upair spam ruins Olimar. When you're juggling Olimar, HE HAS NOTHING THAT WILL GET PAST IT. He can't whistle armor through it, he can't airdodge (fall speed too slow), he can't attack it, he can't even swerve away from or he'll be off the stage- where MK excels.

So when Olimar is above you, spam your lagless upairs. Be sure to use them while falling, following his DI. If you use rising upairs, it creates a small seam where he can airdodge through it. It takes some practice getting it down though.

Technically, you've got yourself an infinite juggle trap.

=profit

Thanks for reading. Now go out and destroy every Olimar user you come by. ;)

Mew2King

King of the Mews
the only aerial you can do to olimar is Dair, and that becomes predictible

bair and fair and nair you can all shield grab (olimars grab is also hard to air dodge through since it lasts for many frames)

you're playing too predictible/generic olimars

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
HYLIAN WHYYYYYYYYYY

why do you tell people my only 2 strategies against GW that I told you

1) walk away F smash
2) up B
3) (which you didn't tell them) get up attack fromt he ledge (does like 10 or 8 damage and hits them reverse off the stage again and is not hard to do)

now you let everyone know, I thought you said you didn't want people to know!

I figured this out through my own testing playing Velocity in the earlier days of brawl, it doesn't mean everyone should just copy it, you are making it much harder for yourself by doing this, I don't understand

nade camping snake goes even with MK

btw hylian, this is only if you approach while I camp, if GW camps back just as hard it's not that bad. You can use GW key (dair) to beat F smash, then while they are in the air, be smart with Nair/Uair/Up smash
Why did I tell people?

Because I want better MK practice. How am I supposed to figure out how to beat this if I never get to play against it?

:).

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
the only aerial you can do to olimar is Dair, and that becomes predictible

bair and fair and nair you can all shield grab (olimars grab is also hard to air dodge through since it lasts for many frames)

you're playing too predictible/generic olimars
dair>dtilt?

How am I supposed to learn anything if everyone around me is too predictable? :urg:

Ulevo

Smash Master
One thing I've noticed about Shield Grabs is that they are very effective with any character that has average to above average grab range against Meta Knights Fair and Bair. The individual attacks are so weak, that the shield stun is next to nothing and you can grab him immediately after, sometimes mid Fair/Bair. The only precaution Meta Knight has against this is to space extremely well, but this doesn't always work due to Meta Knights poor aerial mobility, and he will just be punished once the Fair/Bair ends.

This factor likely aids Olimar.

Lethe

Smash Cadet
yeah my friend started doing the upb to beat my bair. AND the ledgegrab->nair edgeguard. thanks a lot hylian >=/

seriously, though, this matchup just became more interesting. i still think it can be at least 45-55. ill have to play a lot more against mk MARK II before i know for sure though.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Well this is diverting the original topic. But uh, ****, M2k. I see why you're so good lol.

It's a good thing Olimar recover so garbage. Campy Olimar's have a move for like 80% of every angled approach thinkable. And if it's a ground game, he'l probably tear you up. I suck with Olimar though. Probably a good reason why i'm terrible again him. Even though he's one tough dude to start off with. They never make the first move anyway unless it's throwing pikmin.

Buuman

Smash Ace
I play Omegablackmage a **** ton, and have a few GW strategies that work everynow and then

Firstly, GET THE UPTILT DOWN. Instead of dash attacking into uptilt, wait for GW to dair. An uptilt wins 100% of the time. Uptilt will beat GWs Dair all the time

Also as an alternative to beat the turtle..if you already began sheilding, angle your sheild towards GW and Ftilt out of sheild after the move.

furiousduffmanx

Smash Lord
I Use wario, Falco, and G&W. I am still scared of Fighting Mks but people always told me to go G&W when fighting him but i always i thought i had a better chance with my other characters than with G&W. I just see it a bit hard to approach, specially when they know how you play. I agree with this advantage, might be slight but still an advantage.

Also i agree with Buuman on the uptilt vs key, happens when you get too predictable.

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
ehhh i've played many many Mk's... i've beaten every mk in my state numerous times since brawl came out. And other OOS mk's (LeeHarris in a MM.)(SE MK's)
No one is as good as m2k's MK. Hylian, you're going to have to try this against me, and a other few good gw players. After getting beat by m2k in a friendly at fast, My whole way of seeing the mk vs gw match changed, but I haven't had any problems with other MK's after that day. So I dunno if you can already say the match is not even already.

Neb

Smash Lord
And thus half the Mr. Game & Watch population main'ing Watch just to beat MK, abandon him.

CO18

Smash Hero
HAI GAIZ I HAVE A GREAT IDEA!!

Im gonna make a post to teach the most broken character in the game how to beat me easier!!!

lol.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Can someone tell me where these magical disappearing invincibility frames are with MK's upb? My own testing has shown me no such thing. I think Shuttle Loop is just fast and has a stupidly big hitbox, because I've never encountered invincibility frames.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Can someone tell me where these magical disappearing invincibility frames are with MK's upb? My own testing has shown me no such thing. I think Shuttle Loop is just fast and has a stupidly big hitbox, because I've never encountered invincibility frames.
Only the grounded shuttle loop has invc. frames I believe.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
ehhh i've played many many Mk's... i've beaten every mk in my state numerous times since brawl came out. And other OOS mk's (LeeHarris in a MM.)(SE MK's)
No one is as good as m2k's MK. Hylian, you're going to have to try this against me, and a other few good gw players. After getting beat by m2k in a friendly at fast, My whole way of seeing the mk vs gw match changed, but I haven't had any problems with other MK's after that day. So I dunno if you can already say the match is not even already.
That's cause FL MK's suck. lol.
Anyways, I'm glad you brought up this topic Hylian

10 wins!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I thought MK's Up B only had 1 invincibility frame, on 'exactly' frame 5, when it hits?

In other words frames 1-4 they're vulnerable?
Yeah, I thought that too. Then M2K is WAAAAAAY TOO GOOD. or Shuttle Loop has more range than we thought.

But anyhow, G&W doesn't really have any attacks that come out under frame 5 though, except Jab and Oil Spill IIRC.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
i think you just want MK banned, otherwise you wouldn't announce this to everyone. People who think as much about smash as me that are good at the game are obviously going to make really gay strategies. Did you know GW can ledge camp with Nair really easily vs anyone (you can use uair too sometimes but his nair camp at the edge is too good). After frame 5, GW Up B makes him invincible for a fairly long time while rising in the air.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Xyz buddy, I beat all the MK players in florida as well lol. RX said he was amazing on RC but I JV 3 stocked him there in a MM :/. I also didn't lose to a single MK in tournament at FAST. In fact, I don't think a MK player even took a match off me in tournament. I knocked out Lee 2-0 at fast and he recently beat me at Hobo(and not leeharris, leemartin)

Why is everyone saying I want MK banned LOL? I am convincing people NOT to ban MK currently until the SBR decides something. I think it's too early to ban MK honestly.

I just want to improve my own game vs MK's playing the match-up correctly. So I am teaching you guys the match-up. Take it or leave it.

Nic64

Smash Lord
i think you just want MK banned
that sounds more than a little paranoid, he's doing exactly what this board was intended for, sharing information that is benefitial to MK players with MK players. yes this does contribute to debunking GAW being an "even matchup", although then again I've never agreed with that in the first place...but that doesn't make him ban worthy, I think what makes people angry at MK is how badly he dominates the competitive scene, even if he did have one, just one single bad matchup, that wouldn't even be enough to change it significantly, you'd still see a long list of meta mains placing high at every tournament, so the myth of GAW being even with him didn't really help him avert a ban IMO

and I still think it's somewhat unlikely, MK has enough close matchups that he shouldn't be banned, but I guess public opinion is pretty volatile on this

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
No, M2K is right. If you look around in the character boards and the tacitcal boards, ther's a really anti-MKish atmosphere. People expect him to be banned sooner or later. And it sucks 'cuz ppl stop trying to beat him and become better. Pansies

Top Bottom