• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mississippi Thread - MSU Monthlies!

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Oh and Mookierah, play Melee with me sometime you meanie. We haven't played since the beginning of the semester.
I actually wanted to for like the past 3 weeks, but I've been blasted by Advertising 1. That class was hell. I tried calling up Joel the other day, but he didn't answer. But yeah, I'm down for stuff, but I won't be in the Starky area till next semester.

Seriously though, you guys should mess around with Brawl+. It's fun being part of making a ****ty game into an awesome one.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I actually wanted to for like the past 3 weeks, but I've been blasted by Advertising 1. That class was hell. I tried calling up Joel the other day, but he didn't answer. But yeah, I'm down for stuff, but I won't be in the Starky area till next semester.

Seriously though, you guys should mess around with Brawl+. It's fun being part of making a ****ty game into an awesome one.
I ask Joel to play like 2 - 3 times a week, and he's busy about 90% of the time (lately anyway), but I am playing him tomorrow afternoon sometime (forgot when). You should play too. I was planning on going to his house but he might be willing to go to your place or you can go there too.

About Barlw+:
1) I don't have a Wii
2) I don't have Barlw
3) I've watched some vids of Barlw+ and while it looks better than Barlw, it's still really ****ing boring to watch. I'm pretty sure the game would bore me to tears. I mean in SSBM the only character I can play a lot without getting bored is Fox. There are no characters like that in Barlw. No amount of hit stun / wavedash / dash dance mods is going to change that. You can't put the tech skill back in. You can make the game playable but you can't make it good.
4) Even if you could make it good, no scene will ever exist except as a novelty due to the difficulty of modding Wiis. Most people don't want to void their warranties.
5) Lastly, f*ck Barlw.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
but I am playing him tomorrow afternoon sometime (forgot when). You should play too. I was planning on going to his house but he might be willing to go to your place or you can go there too.
That would be frickin awesome. I'd love to. I'll have to tell Will that you guys are coming over though, so he will know to stick around. Brian would probably be here too, but he has to go back to Tupelo sadly :-(. But yeah, that would be awesome.

We also have Super Turbo HD Remix on Will's PS3 if you guys want to try that out. I have a ******** Blanka XD.
I'm pretty sure the game would bore me to tears. I mean in SSBM the only character I can play a lot without getting bored is Fox.
I hear Diddy has some ridiculous stuff tech wise. Something about dribbling bananas and ****. I don't know much about it though, cause I don't like Diddy. It's hardly Fox though.
You can make the game playable but you can't make it good.
I disagree. The game continues to get better as new codes emerge. Currently some of these really math heavy guys are working on writing a code that will increase gravity while adjusting jump heights, recoveries, and what have you. This is all to speed the game up, as all the characters are floaty by Melee standards. While it's not tech heavy like melee, there are a lot of options and a lot more depth. I can see this becoming as good as Melee, competitively speaking.
Even if you could make it good, no scene will ever exist except as a novelty due to the difficulty of modding Wiis. Most people don't want to void their warranties.
Brawl+ tournaments are on the rise. The Kishes are running a melee and Brawl+ tournament soon. Others are planning too once the shield stun code is released. As far as "difficulty of modding" it's easy as ****. It's a soft mod. All you need is an SD , Twilight Princess, and about 10 minutes. It doesn't even void the warranty.
Lastly, f*ck Barlw.
Brawl+ is a different beast altogether. You should at least try it out.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Are you guys free Thursday? The only thing I got planned is Wolfeyes playing me. I am not sure he would be up for a two hour drive there and back though. =(
I'll be in Madison by then (probably anyway, I *might* be here).

Jason I've finished my last final so I'm free whenever today, I could go over there after eating if you want but I forgot your address. Joel doesn't get off until 3 I think, but I sent him a message. Do you have two setups or should I ask Joel to bring his? I don't have my stuff with me except my controller but I can bring a TV.

I'm probably going to call you in about 45 minutes so this message is most likely pointless =p

The MS thread just needs more posts so I'm spamming it up.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I'll be in Madison by then (probably anyway, I *might* be here).

Jason I've finished my last final so I'm free whenever today, I could go over there after eating if you want but I forgot your address. Joel doesn't get off until 3 I think, but I sent him a message. Do you have two setups or should I ask Joel to bring his? I don't have my stuff with me except my controller but I can bring a TV.

I'm probably going to call you in about 45 minutes so this message is most likely pointless =p

The MS thread just needs more posts so I'm spamming it up.
If you guys are free today I can come over there. =D I remember how to get to Jason's house.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Fun smashing guys...we need to do that more often...

Brawl, Jackson, Pikachu
I wish you luck finding someone to play with...Brawl seems to be extremely unpopular in MS. Maybe I'll get around to updating the first post someday (like anyone ever really checks it :)).

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Hopefully we can this coming semester. I started this semester off with Warhammer Online, and then when that got boring for me and I wanted to smash my schedule was too stupid to really allow me to set something like that up.

Only prob is that this coming semester will probably be my roughest cause I'm graduating :-(. We'll see how it goes though.

JayJay584

Smash Cadet
oh for real?

add me, I live in Yazoo City, I'll add you tomorrow after work (around 5:30pm)
Alright.

@That guy wishing me luck: Tell me about it. Man, there's NOTHING out here for us. ;_;

I wish I could move to somewhere where smash is popular. =/

But I'm 17, in school, and jobless. And I need a license, but I'll get that next year I think. n. Need more African American brawlers :(

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I see the tri weeklies...now where are the brawl bi/or triweeklies? =O I would like one of my vacations home to have it included. MD/VA does have stuff going every other weekend though o.o

NES n00b

Smash Master
I see the tri weeklies...now where are the brawl bi/or triweeklies? =O I would like one of my vacations home to have it included. MD/VA does have stuff going every other weekend though o.o
There isn't one in MS or even Alabama. Though AL holds some Brawl tourneys in Tuscaloosa and I guess you could play the one setup of Brawl in the Triweeklies if you wanted. >_>

-Chad-

Slackerator
Well...

If you did come to one I'm sure someone would play brawl with you, I know Cyner plays brawl and he's been to our tri's =o

Ever since brawl+ >_> I'm not even willing to play normal brawl anymore.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Well...

If you did come to one I'm sure someone would play brawl with you, I know Cyner plays brawl and he's been to our tri's =o

Brawl+ is still garbage IMO, although admittedly I've only played a relatively early version. But no matter how much they tweak the code it's still going to suck because it's called Brawl+.

I think we should play Melee on lightning mode.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Try it next time you're here Shai, it's not bad..

I mean it's not Melee, but it's something not completely terrible and it's newish..
I'll try it, but I'm pretty sure I won't like it. I don't really like video games anymore, even games that are considered extremely good. I probably wouldn't like Melee if I were introduced to it today, having never played it before. The reason I still like Melee is at least as much due to the amount of practice I've put into the game as it is due to the "fun" factor or whatever. Don't get me wrong--I do think Melee is a lot of fun, but 95% of the time if I want to play Melee I have to play by myself. The only way playing a game like that by oneself can be rewarding is if there are things to practice, things to master. What is there to practice in Brawl+? Is there anything I wouldn't be able to master in a week? If the answer is no, then it is a shallow game IMO.

I was serious about lighning Melee by the way. How come no one ever plays it? I understand it shouldn't be the main event, but it actually changes the gameplay pretty significantly, in interesting directions, I think, so I don't see why people never play it (aside from that one time we did those FFAs, which doesn't really count), even if just for fun.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Well...

I'm not completely clueless about Brawl+. I did play a version with Mooks about 2 months ago. I'm afraid it wont be adopted on the scale people hope for. It would be much better competitively, but as far as casually, (with players unfamiliar with Brawl+), it would probably scare players away.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
woah...

I'm in Gautier.

haha

I wanna have a brawl or melee tournament at CoastCon. has anyone seriously looked into it other than me? And I've not been terribly serious honestly... >.>

NES n00b

Smash Master
woah...

I'm in Gautier.

haha

I wanna have a brawl or melee tournament at CoastCon. has anyone seriously looked into it other than me? And I've not been terribly serious honestly... >.>
Wow you are in Gautier. There is no one near you really. Only some people in Biloxi or Vaughn if you can get any of them to play. They don't go to tourneys anymore. In other words, no one is hosting a tourney on that day and if they are, it will be just random people A-Z.

Well during spring break I guess I can be near there. Sorry you had to be in such a terrible location. LOL

-Chad-

Slackerator
I'm not completely clueless about Brawl+. I did play a version with Mooks about 2 months ago. I'm afraid it wont be adopted on the scale people hope for. It would be much better competitively, but as far as casually, (with players unfamiliar with Brawl+), it would probably scare players away.
I don't quite see where you're getting your assumptions from.

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I don't quite see where you're getting your assumptions from.
I'm just saying...As far as I'm concerned, I won't be involved with Brawl+ games unless if its included in the tournaments here in MD/VA, which it may be. I am, however, not able to participate in these tourney consistently or as far as I know I'm not able to. So regular Brawl interests me a bit more, because its the only thing my small gaming community is aware of. Of course I could introduce them too it but as I said before...it may just make them uncomfortable.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Okay guys it's been over a month since the last post. Show of hands: Who plays what and where are you?

I'll start :D

I play Brawl mostly, though I'm game for melee friendlies as well as the occasional melee tourney. I'm in Starkville.

Just wondering who we have around here still.

Edit - Guys I'm making a brawl MS Power Rankings

1. Winnar
2. 3GOD
3. Chef
4. PeculiarZero

loldone

3GOD

Smash Ace
Okay guys it's been over a month since the last post. Show of hands: Who plays what and where are you?

I'll start :D

I play Brawl mostly, though I'm game for melee friendlies as well as the occasional melee tourney. I'm in Starkville.

Just wondering who we have around here still.

Edit - Guys I'm making a brawl MS Power Rankings

1. Winnar
2. 3GOD
3. Chef
4. PeculiarZero

loldone
#2 in MS - I never thought I'd reach such recognition. I hope you guys find some new people to play with in the Fall since I'll be at UGA :)/:(. I'm contemplating making the trip to Baton Rouge at the end of May, but 5 hours in a car alone = boring.

Trying to get ahold of Mookie, can anyone get me in touch with him please?
Good luck...he is probably really busy with school projects since I believe he is graduating this semester.

Clink

Smash Cadet
Whoa! Count me in for the Regional MS tournaments! Just moved out from good'ol California and left behind the West Coast. I'm looking to find some tourneys in MS. Since I've been here I've been a bit deprived of not being to one. Seeing as I was at one every weekend in California. Playing with DSF/Palmdale Crew etc. on a daily basis :/. It is missed. I'm mostly into Brawl for tourneys but will attend Melee. I've been meaning to get a hold of MookieRah and play since I've been back.

If anyone is ever around Tupelo area and wants to play you can PM me and let me know. I may be in Starkville at times visiting the School grounds with friends as well. I'm not shy and neither should you be. I'll send my cell number to those who are down for some game time. Brawl or Melee!

@ 3GOD: We've met before with MookieRah at a Melee tourney a while back in 08 if I remember.

Here's some info on me as of now.

Games: Brawl/Melee (Mostly Brawl)
Region: Tupelo, MS

Top Bottom