• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mississippi Smash University - Check post 881

Composeur

Smash Ace
What about Armada's plane ticket? Doesn't it cost a lot of money to reschedule that?

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Well alright here's something. I talked to the other guys helping us run and set up the tournament, and we all think it should be pushed back to the October 22 weekend, or somewhere around there.

Every one of us got unusually swamped with schoolwork last semester so we weren't able to hype up the tournament as much as we wanted. I know there are several things that I wanted to get set up before leaving MSU for the summer (trying to get sponsors, securing some of the school's TV's, just general stuff to help make the tournament run better and smoother)

The reason we're gravitating towards October 22 is because that's one of the few dates that our football team isn't playing, which means we're more likely to be able to rent the buses for the weekend. There are some other dates available, so let me know if I'm missing some obvious holiday or something.

I do guarantee, though, that this will be one of the best tournaments you've ever been to!

Pushing it back a date is sick but to Oct though? Apex is in Jan. remember.

Winnar

Smash Lord
What about Armada's plane ticket? Doesn't it cost a lot of money to reschedule that?
It hasn't been bought yet, so no worries there! There were a few things that we wanted to finish before purchasing his ticket, and that's about the point when we all got super busy. Since we now have time to work on this again, we'll probably be opening up payment and buying his ticket shortly.

Edit - Miles, yeah I dunno I guess I need to talk to Alex about that :O

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Not legit. If I remember correctly, Midwest Road to Apex was being planned around the weekend of October 22nd.

Well, it's not like there are many (if any) people going to both, but still... *hype cancel*

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Umm... it doesn't look like the date change is becoming favorable. IMO, I also liked the date, but it is ultimately up to you.

j00t

Smash Champion
I'd prefer the august date. There's no need to cancel the tournament if you can't rent the buses.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Sorry everyone, hosting this in August is no longer an option. There is a little bit of flexibility on the October date, but not a ton. If October 22 in particular is bad then please let me know and let me know why. If there's a conflicting tournament (like what you said, Juggleguy), then we'll work around that.

Speaking of which can I get a link to that thread, Juggleguy?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Winnar, the Midwest Road to Apex thread hasn't been put up yet, but I know we are definitely going with October 22nd.

If that's really the only weekend that works for you guys, then I guess there's no choice but to go with it, but I think it'd be in the best interests of the Smash community to separate these, even if only a small handful of people are potential attendees of both events.

Sars_Pirate

Smash Lord
So I'm trying to get a carpool from Oklahoma going to this, but if we do, expect like 8 people.

[edit]

Oh **** nvm if it's in October, we probably can't do it lol My bad.

[double edit]

Just my 2 cents, throwing a tournament near a date and time that'll sap away other smash players is in and of itself maybe something that'll provide a less fulfilling experience to all of its attendees, so maybe coordinate with the dude throwing the Oct 22nd tourney?

Also, the beginning of august, even if kids have school, that period in school is basically insignificant cause, i mean come on, first week of school is just teachers telling you what to expect, not to cram for major tests or do essays and things.

Winnar

Smash Lord
So after MUCH deliberation, the new date for this is officially the weekend of October 1. That's 3 weeks before the midwest qualifier, so hopefully that's enough down time between for those of you wanting to go to both :D

That's the fall break weekend for MSU, so hopefully we're not the only ones with that luxury.

BunBun

Smash Master
Also, the beginning of august, even if kids have school, that period in school is basically insignificant cause, i mean come on, first week of school is just teachers telling you what to expect, not to cram for major tests or do essays and things.
Two of my classes last semester had exams the first week of school.

Winnar

Smash Lord
In other news, I'm really looking for ways to appeal to the average smasher. Being one myself, I know how hard it is to go to tournaments and drop a lot of money knowing you may very well go 2 and out. This is one of the reasons pools have become so popular (well, that and for seeding purposes), but I'd like to take it a step or two further. I had already planned on doing an amateur bracket or a redemption bracket, but I really want to do something more.

Ideas?

Edit - Sars! What have you been up to dude? It's been over a year haha

BunBun

Smash Master
Just make sure there are ample setups for friendlies and ample time to play them, and you've made every smasher happy.

Easier said than done, though.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Beat - That reminds me of two ideas I had that kind of go together. I wanted to set up a station where a really good player like PP, Armada, M2k, etc could play matches against people. Random person pays $5 to play a best of 3 or something, if they win then they get $50 or $100 or something. The other idea is set up some smash tutoring. Maybe get some of these same high level players and give them an hour to give lessons to whoever is interested. Kind of fits in with the university theme :O

BunBun - Yeah that's obviously a huge priority, but it would be nice to be able to do even more as long as it doesn't cut into the essentials (running everything in a clean and timely manner, getting enough setups, etc.)

Winnar

Smash Lord
Duchock noooo :(

D. Disciple - awesome! :D

Any ideas for helping support the common smasher that attends this? I am really liking the lecture series idea, but it hinges on setting up and keeping up with a very good match making system

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I'm just jumping into this part of the conversation, but a 'lecture series'? Kinda like panels at anime conventions? I dunno if that's what was being referred to by that, but that'd be lots of fun! And really goes along with the whole "Smash U" thing.

If you could get some well known names to volunteer for this sorts of thing, all the better (though honestly with the theme of people charging for 'training', it might be difficult). I could see this being wonderful (though time conflicts would be a major thing to work around).

Winnar

Smash Lord
I'm just jumping into this part of the conversation, but a 'lecture series'? Kinda like panels at anime conventions? I dunno if that's what was being referred to by that, but that'd be lots of fun! And really goes along with the whole "Smash U" thing.

If you could get some well known names to volunteer for this sorts of thing, all the better (though honestly with the theme of people charging for 'training', it might be difficult). I could see this being wonderful (though time conflicts would be a major thing to work around).
Yeah, this would be basically like panels at anime conventions. We could even have one for General Melee, General 64, General Brawl, and General Project M. It could be a nice way to help others branch out into other smash games :D

GUESS IT'S TIME TO ROUND UP SOME DUDES FOR THIS

Winnar

Smash Lord
Yeah I think we can find qualified people who would be excited to do this for the good of the community (aka free)

Though we can probably find SOME kind of incentive for people to do these lectures

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Thanks for being considerate Winnar. I know there aren't a lot of people planning to attend both, but this looks like a great Road to Apex schedule in the best interests of hype. Good luck re-planning stuff.

Wumpus King

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to rally some more interest in the Bama crew for this. Ideally we'll have 6+ but I'll let you know soon.

As for appealing to the average Smasher, have you considered splitting the tournament based on pools performance? The lower bracket should obviously have a much lesser prize(to deter sandbagging and maintain the main prize), but as an at best average player I would much rather continue to play despite being knocked out of the main tourney than see my entry fee blown after pools. This would also help make sure everyone has a good experience after pools by making each bracket a bit better matched in itself. Obviously the top prize for the low bracket shouldn't exceed the entry fee by too much.

Wumpus King

Smash Cadet
Oh cool. Didn't realize that. Sounds like I had a good idea for once, even if you already had it :p

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Colbol and I are talking about driving to this.

No plans for certain yet though.

Trying to get Skrach interested too.

Top Bottom