• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight's worst matchups

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Guys, you need to figure this out quick. They've actually talked of banning MK from most tourneys to make the game more playable by all characters.

Ouch.

And by they I mean people here, on AllisBrawl, and just tournies in general.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Guys, you need to figure this out quick. They've actually talked of banning MK from most tourneys to make the game more playable by all characters.

Ouch.

And by they I mean people here, on AllisBrawl, and just tournies in general.
LOL

No serious tournaments are EVER going to ban Meta Knight.

Anyone who wants MK banned is a scrub. That's all.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
That's good, cause I think there are ways to beat him that haven't been found yet, simply because they are so basic people overlook them too easily.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
A good Sheik player can grab release -> Boost Smash Tipper upsmash and kill MK early. 80%-ish. Boost Smash with Sheik is harder than any other character's though, so you won't be seeing that too much.

Needles also cancel out tornado. (:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Metaknight's worst matchup is Metaknight. Every other character has is worse than Metaknight does.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
I dunno. It does seem they overcompensated for his fall special weakness on all b moves.

Has to be something we are missing.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
I think metaknight's only significantly disadvantaged match-up is with Snake. I'd say he has a small disadvantage against Marth and Game and Watch, but those can easily be overcome (I do it quite a lot) . As for the rest of the cast, I think metaknight is either neutral or has an advantage.

Browny

Smash Hater
inbe4 'loledgehog' because remember, DI'ing + jumping/airdodging while recovering is banned apparently

Browny

Smash Hater
MK's worst match ups are like ... 60:40 while everything else is 70 or higher lol (except snake)

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully something will be figured out eventually.

I'd hate for one of my favorite characters to get the Akuma stigma.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
he doesn't have any disadvantages. like someone said earlier, mk does the best vs mk. However, snake, gw, marth, diddy, dk, and a few others have a chance at winning.

Binx

Smash Master
I don't think Metaknight has bad match ups, hes pretty **** good. Maybe snake and thats a big maybe, I think in high level play its more or less even.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Commonly presented bad match-ups are Marth, Snake, and DK. All are wrong.

Marth is at a disadvantage because MK's dtilt outspacing all his safe moves and being safe itself means that Marth just doesn't have any offensive options against MK. His defense, while good, just isn't good enough to ultimately give him an advantage, or even an even match-up against MK, 60-40: MK.

Snake is at a disadvantage because MK has better rushdown, pressure, and range. Sure he's got good punishing, and kills earlier, but that depends on MK making a mistake. Sure, he can effectively eliminate MK's neutral and overB using the 'nades, but with good spacing MK can abuse his superior range, resulting in a better pressure game. Ultimately he can also get damage a lot faster as well. What it really comes down to is not jumping into the ****.60-40: MK

Dk is pretty much same as Snake, minus the 'nades, DK lacks safe attacks that outrange MK's safe attacks, so MK can abuse this. He also lacks the defensive game to keep up. So yeah, don't jump into the ****. 60-40: MK.

Essentially in all cases, presented, it's even or a disadvantage not because of the characters themselves, but because MK isn't commonly played in a manner that abuses his advantages in that match-up.

Rob is the only character I can think of that actually could be a solid disadvantage for MK because of his abusive projectile game.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Snake is at a disadvantage because MK has better rushdown, pressure, and range. Sure he's got good punishing, and kills earlier, but that depends on MK making a mistake. Sure, he can effectively eliminate MK's neutral and overB using the 'nades, but with good spacing MK can abuse his superior range, resulting in a better pressure game. Ultimately he can also get damage a lot faster as well. What it really comes down to is not jumping into the ****.60-40: MK

No. Even m2k said snake has the advantage. If a snake can stay away from being gimped, he should not lose this match. He racks up damage easier. Gets the kills quick. Survives forever. Snake is too good. In no way is this in MK's favor.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No. Even m2k said snake has the advantage. If a snake can stay away from being gimped, he should not lose this match. He racks up damage easier. Gets the kills quick. Survives forever. Snake is too good. In no way is this in MK's favor.
Snake too good, lol, that's a laugh considering that we all play MK.

Sure he gets kills quick... but if MK spaces well, his melee options are outranged and he can't spam. From there, MK can apply his pressure game.

And he is better at racking up damage then Snake, Snake has powerful single attack combinations (not to be confused with hits), whereas MK can link them. Plus, once Snake is in the air, MK destroys him... a lot of MK's moves end up with people in the air.

Unless he recovers low, shuttle loop ***** snake's ^b. If he does recover low, MK still has more options because of his far better aerial game, he can chase snake down and harass him.

So, go in, space well, pressure, then apply rushdown once you've created an opening.

Snake is good, but his standings are because of MK, he's not good enough to be God tier alone. But he counters the current MK playstyle, who being a "pick-up and play character" that obliterates the vast majority of the cast, is probably the best character to counter. Only he doesn't actually counter MK, just his current playstyle, which against Snake, amounts to, in the words of Emblem Lord, "jumping into the ****".

Btw, m2k's word carries a lot of weight, but it's not law, just because he said it doesn't make it automatically true, that's an appeal to authority fallacy. Other high-leveled respected players think that MK (at a high enough level of play) is at an advantage against Snake, for example Emblem Lord. Keep in mind, a lot of the stuff that makes this an advantage are minute details (like the exact length of dtilt), so not everyone knows the information.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
has anyone else looked into olimar v metaknight? His f-air has range that almost matches MK meaning a slight chance for horizontal kills. He has sick grab combos assuming he lets you float around in the air and goes for the grab when he knows you'll land. His running upsmash can kill MK around 100%. I'd say it's borderline even matchup. Maybe not completely because MK can get SUCH cheap kills off (I LOVE UP B) but olimar still puts up a fight.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Snake, DK, and a better MK are easily Meta Knight's worst match-ups.

has anyone else looked into olimar v metaknight? His f-air has range that almost matches MK meaning a slight chance for horizontal kills. He has sick grab combos assuming he lets you float around in the air and goes for the grab when he knows you'll land. His running upsmash can kill MK around 100%. I'd say it's borderline even matchup. Maybe not completely because MK can get SUCH cheap kills off (I LOVE UP B) but olimar still puts up a fight.
Mach Tornado > Anything Olimar has

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
And yet Mach Tornado ends eventually and then you get stuck in a grab combo. When returning from off the stage I'll use mach tornado or if I just have to approach in general against a grab spamming olimar, but "Mach Tornado" isn't a very good answer. Easily MK's most overrated move (I don't think anyone would argue that). It's a great approach, but it can't kill or do damage after the first two uses. And if you want to focus on doing knockback, an intelligent opponent will DI and jump out of a tornado leaving the better option his side B drill. But I will agree that if you have to approach an olimar, tornado is the way to go. It's just that one you reach him, you either get lucky or get grabbed.

TKD

Smash Lord
MK's worst match-ups:

Diddy Kong 50/50
Metaknight 50/50
Snake 50/50
Donkey Kong 40/60
Falco 40/60

I like to play King Dedede against him too, but that's probably because I main him.

slyfox702

Smash Rookie
I think a fast Fox with lots aerials and good distance can do okay,
But it would be less work to bust out the nades with Snake.

leelue

Smash Lord
Snake and Dk can Rock metaknight, hands down.
Falco can read metaknight well, its just hard offstage for falco, on offense or defense.

As for olimar.... Olimar gets offstage and goes away forever

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
And yet Mach Tornado ends eventually and then you get stuck in a grab combo. When returning from off the stage I'll use mach tornado or if I just have to approach in general against a grab spamming olimar, but "Mach Tornado" isn't a very good answer. Easily MK's most overrated move (I don't think anyone would argue that). It's a great approach, but it can't kill or do damage after the first two uses. And if you want to focus on doing knockback, an intelligent opponent will DI and jump out of a tornado leaving the better option his side B drill. But I will agree that if you have to approach an olimar, tornado is the way to go. It's just that one you reach him, you either get lucky or get grabbed.
No, not if you use it correctly. Stay on the ground with MT so that if Olimar DI's up and doesn't land back into the tornado, you can space yourself before he can get to you.

Plus, its way too effective against Olimar's Pikmin to say it "isn't a very good answer."

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
i think DK does really well vs MK, diddy does well, falco does well, ddd goes even with him, might even have the advantage on the stage (i would know i used to main ddd, but ddd gets ***** in teams by mk because of tornado) campy snake has the advantage, and rob does really good (only tornado makes mk win, rob outranges him, and lives longer)

Protathlitis

Smash Cadet
No, not if you use it correctly. Stay on the ground with MT so that if Olimar DI's up and doesn't land back into the tornado, you can space yourself before he can get to you.

Plus, its way too effective against Olimar's Pikmin to say it "isn't a very good answer."
I agree that Olimar's grab game isn't too effective against Olimar's tornado; his grab works sometimes, but usually spacing on the MK's part can get him out of the way. However, Olimar's b up breaks the tornado; it hits the vulnerable area of the MT on his approach. It seems very hard to utilize the MT if the Olimar knows about the up B...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mach Tornado > Anything Olimar has
Try upb...or grab if the MK wants to stay grounded.

I agree that Olimar's grab game isn't too effective against Olimar's tornado; his grab works sometimes, but usually spacing on the MK's part can get him out of the way. However, Olimar's b up breaks the tornado; it hits the vulnerable area of the MT on his approach. It seems very hard to utilize the MT if the Olimar knows about the up B...
upb is easily whistled through, and then countered. You shouldn't rely on it to set up edgeguarding.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
All the MK has to do is be unpredictable with MT.

Olimar is in NO WAY one of MK's worst match-ups.

tutata

Smash Ace
i think DK does really well vs MK, diddy does well, falco does well, ddd goes even with him, might even have the advantage on the stage (i would know i used to main ddd, but ddd gets ***** in teams by mk because of tornado) campy snake has the advantage, and rob does really good (only tornado makes mk win, rob outranges him, and lives longer)
Anyone got good vids of snake vs meta ,gg players would help and some campy matches would be nice to, just to see how to camp meta.

Top Bottom