• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight's worst matchups

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
Don't get hit by Lucas' UpSmash and he'll never kill you. Ever. He broadcasts that move too so there's little to no reason to ever get hit by it.
That depends entirely on the skill of the Lucas player. If he has good prediction (or, if you're being predictable) then he'll be able to punish your approach. It's not going to hit every time, obviously, but against MK you really only need one usmash to hit to get the stock.

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
That depends entirely on the skill of the Lucas player. If he has good prediction (or, if you're being predictable) then he'll be able to punish your approach. It's not going to hit every time, obviously, but against MK you really only need one usmash to hit to get the stock.
Resolution: Don't play predictably. Play smart.

phe-gnome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3196-4792-6061
The characters I have most trouble with when using Meta Knight are characters that can spam projectiles. For heavy characters it's a mix of hit and run at low damage and dimensional cape and d smash at higher damage. Dimensional cape has a nice amount of lift at higher damages to set up for an air combo or shuttle loop.

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
Wow, people who think that wolf counters MK have no idea. If wolf is in the air or has his back turned to you just do tornado, he won't be able to stop it most of the time. Only move he has other than laser to break it is reflector which does a whopping 3% damage and can't be followed up after breaking tornado, he also can use his dsmash to devistate wolf's ground game. I play a pretty good wolf, but the one character I can't find an effective strat against is MK, finally let it be known that good MK's can WoP wolf to death between 0-50% if u can predict the wolf's DI. MK actually counters wolf, not the other way around.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Wolf gives me a tough time with MK untill I figure the player out....but if they're good at mindgames that is tough. Luckily Gonzo came up with a nice Kirby combo vs Wolf so I jsut switch to Kirby vs him.

um....Zelda can be tough if you're not carefull, as said basically people with good camping ability or early KO power.

Sino

Smash Journeyman
How do i deal with dedede and ice climbers, imo dedede can be defeated because mk is faster and ice climbers to seperate them. But i think i am wrong. So has anybody some good advice to deal with them?

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
Kirby's a decent one. Kirby's sucking can pull in MK while MK is using either his neutral b or forward b.

MK is pretty widely regarded as one of the worst matchups for Pit, so I don't see how the other way around is considered trouble, but that's interesting.

Ike. MK isn't particuarly heavy (though sometimes I wonder).

Wolf/Falco because their lasers are momentum stoppers, making life tough for MK.

Fox MAYBE because he's got a good up kill, but his projectile isn't impressive.

Luigi who knows how to land Dragon Punch.

Diddy Kong always did a great job for me.

LG7

Smash Apprentice
I had a hard time vs. Wario the other day, because his Dair I believe it was kicked my ***.
Plus Wario has a lot of air control...
So yeah... I think Wario's pretty good vs. MK.

kingofwaddles

Smash Apprentice
king ddd. his moves have the range, tons of power, & multiple jumps so staying airborne doesnt help.
mks damage racking ability doesnt do jack ****, ddd is classed as a heavyweight, he wont go flying after a smash.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
OK..... I played in a trny yesterday and did quite well.... BUT how the heck to you approach a zelda that doesn't move, she spammed dinns fire and when i would finally air dodge my way close she did an u-smash or f-smash with perfect enuf timing i couldn't roll through it. Is there any way besides picking up a new character to beat this?
also, there was an AMAZING Yoshi, but the zelda is a bigger question? any ideas?

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
At my local tourney one of the best player's there uses Wolf, with MK as a sub. He specifically uses MK to counter DDD's, and he owned my DDD with MK. On the other hand we had a best of 3 series, and after he beat my Snake as Wolf, he tried MK vs Snake. He pulled some crazy unexpected combo that brought me from 0% to dead off the top screen right at the start, so I was only 2 stock vs 3, both at 0%. I never got caught in that combo again, and won the match. Even with an entire stock disadvantage vs a better player, I still beat him with Snake. That matchup has to be MK's worst. I tore him to shreds with ftilts and grenades, and finished my kills with uptilts(90% damage kills).

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
King Dedede isn't all that bad against MK. As a matter of fact it seems like an easier match up than Kirby vs. Metaknight. Up tilt on Dedede is a pretty good kill moving and could kill after powerguarding, Forward Tilt makes some decent spacing for some time, Down tilt also makes ok spacing and good damage and back air lasts awhile and has a good hitbox. Super Dedede Jump has super armor when coming up so unless they're waiting for you to come back on stage, you aren't that easily gimped. I have played some pretty good metaknight players and I have a hard time beating them with Kirby (who I main), then I'd switch to Dedede and I'd usually 1 stock kill them with low percent damage.

SheikahBlood

Smash Cadet
dude practice way more because u could be nice but obviously she had certain tactics that u dont do well in so practice more players not cpu's ok dude peace

SilverBlaze

Smash Apprentice
As a MK main myself, I can honestly say the only character I have legit trouble against is Rob. However, I suspect Snake would be a problem, i just have not played against a human Snake yet.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I hear snake marth and DK are particularly nasty, though I've found Link is fairly good vs. MK, and zelda is at least on even footing in the matchup. I've found PT to be less outclassed than some others by MK, but I'd still give the advantage to MK there.

Browny

Smash Hater
I decided to use MK today and got comprehensively ***** by my brother using yoshi...

gimping his out of the question since his second jump has SAF frames and egg roll outprioritizes mach tornado lol. and yoshi also has a grab-release chain grab on MK. everytime i got near him hes just eat me, than **** tongue is longer than anything in the game i swear

Master Raven

Smash Master
From my experience, Toon Link and Snake are without a doubt the most difficult matchups for Meta Knight. In fact, most characters with projectiles should be approached very cautiously with MK, even if Mach Tornado can cancel out most of them.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
I've found Zelda to be a particularly difficult opponent. If she can smash you far enough away dins fire can hold you off for even longer since its an incredibly unpredictable move.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Only real problem I've encountered out of anybody is a Marth.

Nobody else has really provided a strong challenge. I've played a few of texas' best snakes in tourney matches without much problem.
My friend has a pretty extroardinary tl and that doesnt pose much a threat. (Have videos on that)
I take care of spacies really well. (Along with most other projectile spammers at that)

A marth i just haven't seemed to get down yet. His b's come out of shield. He has excellent range. He's strong for his speedy nature. He's just an all around strong balanced character. I've been having a little trouble with him.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Thats natural. Marth v. Metaknight is supposed to be one of Brawl's most even matchups. Here, what applies for Pikachu users applies for MK: either be outside of Marths range or right in his face, or your going to be in a World of Pain. Also, the tornado might be WAY too predictable to expect Marth not to counter, so avoid this move unless you're sure it'll hit. You are faster, he has better range. Remember that.

Protathlitis

Smash Cadet
In my experience, Snake is definitely the worst. His grenades disrupt the tornado, and his up and forward tilts kill incredibly early; also, I can't forget about his anti-air up smash and nikitas. Next, wolf is a pain due to his blaster and forwards smash. Also, he's got rather unpredictable recovery. Surprisingly, I've been having trouble with a Dedede. His down air and up air and back air beat just about all of MK's aerials (including the shuttle loop), and his up tilt kills early. Plus, he's a heavyweight and practically ungimpable. Does anyone got any suggestions?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I am not a metaknight main, but, obviously when you play in a tourney, EVERYONE and their mother wants to use him

in my personal experience, my Link has the easiest time of him
i.e. my Link wins more often than he loses.

The only other character that I play that can claim that is Zelda.

metahunter

Smash Apprentice
dk gives meta a proble but i dont know what your talking about when you say marth, pit, and zelda conters meta

marth out ranges meta but when meta gets close met has an advantage its not hard for meta to get close either mach tornado gets him right in marths face even match

pit has a spamable projectile but metas mach tornado rips right through his puny arrows and when meta gets close pits dead meta win this match

zelda out dose meta at long range but meta out dose zelda at close range and her lightning kicks are hard to sweet spot on meta due to his size even match

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
MK vs Pit. Pit wins... if the Pit is experienced enough. Pit can put more pressure on MK, than MK can put on Pit. Like short hopping controllable arrows, and Pits side b a grab approach from MK, it almost makes MK grab game non existant. And it wears down MK's shield.

Amide

Smash Lord
Snake, TL, Marth and DK. (Yes, DK is actually good. Seriously)

I always hated Snake the most though, because I've always hated Snake, bad reason, I know...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
zelda out dose meta at long range but meta out dose zelda at close range and her lightning kicks are hard to sweet spot on meta due to his size even match
Zelda is probably a pretty close to even matchup... but serioucly, this isn't why... who relies on lightning kicks?

xxmaliciousxx

Smash Cadet
Wolf is the worst match up.
I learned it the hard way.
His Blaster projectile has much more priority than the MachTornado.
Also Wolf's reflector and hard hitting attacks.

meta master

Smash Journeyman
Pit is an obvious choice. Projectiles give Meta Knight problems. Thankfully, Pit is one of my mains. The shield could be used as an offensive weapon (this is a pro's tactic). Arrows are typical. I dont need to say anything else about this magnificient Angel ^^

Zelda causes trouble with Din's Fire. As we all know, Brawl's Din's fire has greater explosion range and is easier to control. Zelda's kill moves (The lightning kicks, U-Smash, F-Smash, U-Air and sometimes D-Smash) have chances of KOing Meta Knight before he hits the 100% line, especially U-air. Her teleportation, when used a lot (This is my strategy) can cause frustration for Meta Knight. The Projectile is the main reason.

Though I think Donkey Kong is 100% Meta Knight counter, he's still a decent counter. With all those KO moves, the Meta Knight player had better know how to avoid the moves before he gets to the 100% line, or lights out. DK's F-Smash and U-Smash are 2 dangerous attacks that can KO Meta fast.

Similar to DK's, Bowser is a Tank and it takes a while for Meta Knight to KO him. If Bowser's Power attacks connect, Meta Knight will be in trouble. Bowser is only effective in close-combat, and without Projectiles, Meta Knight must engage the Tank. Fire breath causes trouble when used correctly. In this matchup, skill can play a major factor in achieving victory. A pro Bowser could level even a pro Meta Knight if that Meta does not have much defensive skills.

I dont know why I'm mentioning a character I hate, but Pikachu... yea. His Thunder does good when Meta Knight is Gliding. I know this because my Pit suffered from some Pika Thunders by gliding (Even though i still say Pit is a counter to Pika). Pika's Projectile is also trouble.

A Link player that has mastered his projectiles can pose a threat to Meta Knight.

Marth outranges Meta Knight, but i dont want to talk about this guy, because I dont like him.

That's all I can give you. May it help you well.
This is the Admiral, Over and Out.
kirby is extremly annoying cause hes got good priority on most moves

RATED

Smash Lord
I can help to beat ROB , just use ur mach tornado wisely and u beat him without problem and don't try the shuttle loop so much only very occasionally and u can beat rob.

PS: don't rush to him , his dash and his fair are awesome just play quietly and steady.

DEV64

Smash Apprentice
Snake and Marth are the most obvious ones IMO.

They are comparable as characters. And they both rack up damage fast, but the main thing is that Marth DOES outrange Metaknight and Marth kills Metaknight alot sooner then he kills Marth.

Metaknight is faster then Marth, but not enough to make a huge difference. They are comparable in speed.

They are not comparable in power though. Marth hits far harder then Metaknight. Marth can camp Metaknight hard which gives him the advantage. And Marth and MK are pretty even in priority although Marth may have a bit more.

Marth really can't gimp Metaknight, but that's ok since Marth kills MK early around 80%. And Marth isn't extremely easy to gimp either, unlike say Wolf who is pretty much the easiest character to gimp in the game.

Marth has advantage in the match-up. They are both fast, but MK's can't rack up damage as well as Marth because he isn't as strong. Marth has dancing blade and is generally stronger. Airdodge denies MK's possible combos while Marth has dancing blade and d-tilt combos to fall back on. MK also has d-tilt combos, but will have less opportunity to use them since he has trouble getting in. Also MK won't kill Marth until usually around 120%, which gives Marth more time to deal damage and KO MK.

Also Marth only lags more on his smashes, but a smart Marth isn't going to be throwing out smashes left and right. He he will use them to net kills and that's it. Marth can use his non-laggy moves to zone MK and make it hard to approach.

There is simply no way MK has advantage or even has a 50/50 match-up with Marth.

Snake has a solid advantage. His tilts have the same range as Marth's and more power and alot of priority. He can kill MK just as easily as Marth. And he can camp the hell out of MK making it very hard to approach. And when MK gets in he has to deal with Snake's superior range, power and priority not to mention that even though Snake moves slow he attacks FAST with all his tilts and his jab combo.

This is probably MK's worst match-up.
Marth and MK have about an even match I went against a good marth who did all of that and I still beat him in two and I think MK might have a slight advantage over marth a little

Top Bottom