• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight Officially Banned In Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
As long as people know what a scrub is.

That Sirlin article misuses the definition of what a scrub is. A scrub is a player who thinks they are hot stuff but sucks, intellectually or in playing skill. Not someone who doesn't play to win.

Otherwise that places everyone who is new or casual into the scrub category.

Trying to advance Captain Falcon's game and then testing it in a tournament, doesn't mean the person is a scrub. If they go about shouting, Captain Falcon is god tier and claim to be the best player in the world, then they are a scrub.
I guess the biggest problem here would just be that as a community we haven't really created a solid definition for scrub. There are certainly a lot of people that support the way Sirlin defined it, but the way you explain it doesn't seem wrong either.

Though I wouldn't agree with the idea it places every new person into that category. Casuals maybe, but the whole concept in Sirlin's definition is that they are not playing to win. New people can do that if they choose. It's more so the people who deny using the best tactics to win-- like chain grabbing and declare everyone who does use such methods cheap.

And as far as trying to advance the Capt's game and testing it in a tourney scene, that's definitely not scrubbish as far as I understand it. The best place to try out anything is always against other people trying to win so you can gouge how effective something is. If you're not playing to win, more than likely you won't be trying to advance any characters game anyway.

The last sentence doesn't match up with either of the current definitions either.Seeing as anyone from DSF to Sky could say that joking or serious and play well.

But characters are banned for being unfair, so how the heck are we supposed to argue that a character is ban worthy without stating the obvious that he's unfair?
Debating like this is a start. Bringing up valid and observable points that can't be refuted furthers that idea. A lot of what people bring up about MK is usually player or match specific which is shown from the different results people get with various different characters. There is no near absolute outcome as there often is with ban worthy characters. I know many of us are impatient when it comes to things we enjoy and making it better from our perspective, but until we have definite results to act on, as a community all we can do is wait and act accordingly to what is now.

Look, people think they have THE absolute argument winner by citing sirlin. Sirlin doesnt state that one should never ban a character. He gives very specific reasons why one would need to ban a character or tactic. Things on paper like damage output, ability to die, deal damage, priority, abilities, etc all factor in to this. But the most important idea is that a character or tactic needs to be banned when if the character is kept the top metagame is reduced to that character versus that character, or that tactic vs that tactic.This is exactly what is happening, as more and more people are simply dropping other characters in favor of metaknight, and of the top top players the ones who play metaknight are winning.
You may have to use specific examples for this point, because the way I read it, this seems more in favor to MK.

In the top metagame, MK has been stated to have several even match-ups and one or two slightly disadvantaged match-ups. Looking further at the attributes that give those characters even and advantaged match-ups also brings up the fact that other characters who are disadvantaged have similar options giving them them the chance at an uphill battle which banned characters do not. Even if it's only one or two times, if MK was banworthy he should have never lost to characters like Link at a high levels of play.

As for tactic vs tactic unless you are tying that into the 'same character vs same character example (say Torando vs Tornado) then that's an obviously flawed concept to add to the ban worthy check list, since we do that in every fighting game like it's rock, paper, scissors-- or in our case attack,shield, grab.

If you did mean the first however, then we haven't reached that point. As choosing that character against that character all comes down to preference at the moment. I often see top players with a Snake secondary switch instead of remaining MK, which if his chances of winning are miles higher than every other character doesn't make sense. The main factor as I see it in player mains switching to MK, is a mix of preference, diffidence, and misinformation.

If several people tell you, that no matter what you can never win against something if you are not using the the same thing and you don't have confidence in your ability you are obviously going to agree with them. It only helps if you like the way that character plays.

Ankoku has solid evidence of how much metaknight is placing better and being used more. Far and away moreso than snake, the second most dominant.
And Snake is almost more than half a ways above Wario, the third most dominant. Why?

Considering that MK is broken and needs to be banned, Snake would be the best right? Even so he shouldn't be so far ahead that the A rank seems to be doing poorly. Unless we figure in that Ankoku's chart also represents usage. If Snake suddenly became more popular than MK, he would rise above him as more people playing Snake would bring more results for him while the couple of people playing MK would still be getting similar results, the amount pouring in wouldn't be able to compare to Snake.

I'm not saying MK isn't placing well. I'm saying the reason his placing are so much higher than everyone elses is because there are far more MK players to place. Which relates back to my last point of preference.

Sirlin's playing to win and game balance articles in this case support the idea to ban metaknight.
So far I don't agree. However, I may have misunderstood you somewhere. If MK truly can not be overcome then we as a community need to come together and ban him as well, and if you can show me without a doubt that this is true, I'll gladly help in similar way as you are.
So, if you could quote the parts of Sirlin's article you feel support this idea and explain in more detail I would appreciate it.

SSB64 is a terrible example because there arent nearly enough large tournaments and the entire scene is dominated by Isai rather than characters. But for the record, most SSB64 players assert that the entire roster is basically playable except for samus, but none of it matters in the face of Isai. The game itself is just fundamentally imbalanced, with certain strategies just being too good.
Most Melee players say the entire roster is basically playable except for Pichu and Mewtwo. That doesn't mean they are right. Tournament results show they can't be.

With fox though he did have one glaring weakness and that was when you make a mistake with Fox you are absolutely boned, almost every character has 80%+ combos on the guy. At the very least you can heavily punish fox. In brawl, because of metaknight in particular and the game mechanics he is better ability wise than melee fox but FAR AND AWAY better than fox overall because you cannot punish him effectively at all.
And MK is the 4th lightest character in the game. Like Fox, if you make a mistake you are taking the damage. Unlike Melee of course, he won't be in and out with 70+ damage but he's not coming out unscathed, and considering his weakness it's not going to take that much for a ceiling K.O.

Defining effectively might be something else I have to ask you to do. Seeing as if that statement is true, why does he lose, ever?

Let alone at high levels of play.

And I dunno where you got the idea that Peach has an advantage over Fox, it is easily her worst matchup. Between that and your SSB64 comment, you seem fairly ignorant about the smash scene.

You've never seen Peach picked in a response to Fox? You've never seen how Peach's dsmash wrecks space animals? Not even heard of a Peach chain grabbing Fox into oblivion? Fox is obviously better than Peach, I linked the guide so you could see what most melee Foxes were thinking. No everyone is not going to think the same as you, or I. Yes I have heard several people say Peach destroys Fox, yes I have seen it. If it happened more often you'd think the same, but yes some people do believe Peach wins over Fox.

Take note of who I'm referencing opinions too as well. I personally did not ever say I believe Peach has the advantage. There are still Smash 64 tournament that go on on Kaileria, and from what I see and read, there's not a lot of low tier-middle character love. I guess you could blame it on the community for not agreeing with you, but that and SmashWiki were the main things I was looking at and recalling while typing my original post.
Are we all ignorant to the smash scene for not sharing your opinion?

half the cast would be fine. If metaknight made only half the cast an uphill battle it'd be fine. The fact is that metaknight removes all but 3 or 4 characters from the brawl equation period.
For who?

Are you saying Nannerz can't win against a MK with Diddy?
Fly Amanita has no chance against one? No hope for Allucard? Aero should just switch to MK right now? Not even Chudat has any hope? MK denies Dark.Pch even an uphill?!Auto-loss for Danny? Mech should pack up his controller? Maxxxpower may as well quit?Reflex needs to stop lying to himself? Bwett should face reality?

Not unless they pick MK, Snake, Lucario, or Falco?!

I don't agree. Unless you meant 'except for 6 or 7 characters. Which is pretty generous for top tier/ best character. As I remember it, Fox was only really disadvantaged against Marth in high levels of play because of his range. Yes everyone else could exploit his weakness the same with MK's weight problem, but the best players won't often let opponents abuse those weaknesses.

OBVIOUSLY if the rules allow it you should expect others to use everything in their power to win, but that isnt the argument. Everyone plays to win,
Then what is a scrub?
I thought that was someone who didn't play to win but just to have fun, denying the best options to win.

but playing to win in a game with metaknight being as dominant as he is is simply just not a good fighting game.
By your opinion perhaps . He's currently the best. He can, has, and will continue to be beaten by good players. He can, has, and will continue to beat lesser players. This was the same with Fox as I saw it, and the same with many other fighting games in a scenario against the best character in game. Why should this change for Brawl?

The point is to make it fair, because MK takes it well beyond the point of broken.
Good players don't lose with broken characters. This is because broken characters have options that shut down every uncontrollable option in game. The closet thing MK had to that was his tornado, which now has a thread dedicated to it's destruction. As far as results show MK is fair against a reasonable amount of characters, uphill for a majority, and upmountain if not impossible for the rest--as expected of the best character in the game.

You shouldnt HAVE to be way better than your opponent in order to win just because they picked a naturally good character.
And you don't always have to be. Looking at Reflex's Wario and M2K's MK I personally believe M2K is a better player for the way he reacts immediately to situations where as I often to see Reflex probing before action.

But Reflex has won against M2K's MK. He played better that match, plain and simple. If you can't ask that of yourself every match then you had better hope MK trips into an Ike Fsmash.

salaboB

I didn't skip over your post purposely. I went in reverse to the responses to my post. I'll respond when I get home.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
MK is even simpler than snake because you can **** with one of 5 different tactics.
Snakes game is 5 f-tilts than up tilt, with snakedashing put in for trickeration

MK can be any one of the following:
Tornado until kill percents than down smash
shuttle loop to glide attack cancel, until kill percents than down smash
f-air until kill percents than down smash, and even,
down smash until kill percents and than up b to glide attack to down smash until it hits
or you can mix and match any of the above to devestating affect

and than he has good setups off his throws, all his airials are amazing, and have little to no lag at all times. and his recovery is amazing.

you literally cant go wrong with picking MK.
I only chose one post out of this whole thread to call out and it was yours, congratulations.

You are stupid. I ate a ******** kid and **** him out and he was more intelligent than you. You are the scum of this earth and just may be the most ignorant person to post that i've ever seen. Also, trickeration is not a word.

Lastly, Italy is full of scrubs.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
You say he has no disadvantages against any of the characters yet you say he's not good enough to be banned.

Oh the irony...

Ijuka

Smash Ace
You say he has no disadvantages against any of the characters yet you say he's not good enough to be banned.

Oh the irony...
1 + 1 = 2

Having no disadvantages against any characters = not good enough to get banned. See Cirno's post and so on.

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
lol. i find it funny how i told all those metahaters to just explain why metaknight is easy to play and all of them just say HES EASY TO PLAY MUHAHAHAHAHA and dont explain why..........
metaknight is easy to play because:
1. all of his areals link into near-autocombos
2. his recovery is INSANE (all of his B moves can be used to recover, and he can glide, and has the multi jumps)
3. His priority is insane. My friend can basically stay in one place and shffl Fairs. It's a near infinite hitbox and its hella hard to break through.
4. I'm proof that MK is easy to play. After only one match using him, I came in second place at a tourney using him the next day.
5. His play style is based solely on instinct, becaues his speed and priority make up for mistakes.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I only chose one post out of this whole thread to call out and it was yours, congratulations.

You are stupid. I ate a ******** kid and **** him out and he was more intelligent than you. You are the scum of this earth and just may be the most ignorant person to post that i've ever seen. Also, trickeration is not a word.

you make me lol why dont you call out the person that was bagging on you because you do exactly what i just said?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
And NEO also believes he should be gone. Seriously, I can only see tournaments being more fun and more diverse with meta banned.
While this might be true, this is not a valid argument, since we all know, that compititive smash is not about fun

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
And NEO also believes he should be gone. Seriously, I can only see tournaments being more fun and more diverse with meta banned.
I've been against banning MK, but I'm starting to agree. If you want to consistently win tournaments there's no reason not to use MK. Or maybe Snake, DDD, Falco, ROB, Marth, Lucario and DK players need to improve? Who knows?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

Your an idiot, I can not even begin to start to say what the hell is wrong with you.

M@v

Subarashii!
MK being banned here? Maybe. I think its too early. But yeah I consider Italy's ban invalid because THEY NEVER HOSTED A TOURNAMENTI know thats been said already, but it needs re-iterated.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
MK being banned here? Maybe. I think its too early. But yeah I consider Italy's ban invalid because THEY NEVER HOSTED A TOURNAMENTI know thats been said already, but it needs re-iterated.
My guess is they're aware of how good he is from general play and how dominant he's been around the world, and they banned him based on that.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
While this might be true, this is not a valid argument, since we all know, that compititive smash is not about fun
People don't have fun at tournaments? And seriously, I don't understand why EVERYONE just doesn't use the character with basically no weaknesses. The people that do use and him just want the money are doing it right.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Because you can't just choose with side you're on. There's only 1 team but everybody can use MK
That's not the point of the analogy.

While you don't have a distinct "team", there's only one role in this game in most tournaments: Beat one other character. That means that unlike sports where you need teams to gather multiple people, it only takes who you pick to place you in Smash. So you have the MK team that everyone flocks to because it's the best, the Snake team that gets the next most attention because it's almost as effective as the MK team, and then everyone else -- little clumps that people are hesitant to play because they know about the two big teams.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
And to all those saying "well then Snake would just be the best"

That may be true, but Snake actually has WEAKNESSES.

ADHD

Smash Hero
You just have to choose MK to compete or a character that's 45-55 with mk because there's gonna be hell, there really needs to be an infinite on this *******

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
And to all those saying "well then Snake would just be the best"

That may be true, but Snake actually has WEAKNESSES.
No doubts about that. But Snake will still be the best, without MK, especially since MK is one of Snake's worst match-ups

salaboB

Smash Champion
No doubts about that. But Snake will still be the best, without MK, especially since MK is one of Snake's worst match-ups
That's not a reason to not ban MK, but it may be a reason to ban both.

Everyone below them (Even whoever ends up being the best) has significantly more vulnerabilities.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Meta Knight is simply an easy character to grasp.
He is fast, little lag in attack, which makes for good chains, great recovery, any new person can touch him and play very well, I did.

With such potential only with a noob fighter, imagine a pro.
Not only that, take his popularity into consideration, alot of people wants to main Meta Knight, alot of people do. So many pros of an already great character can kill the fun in a game. Yes, he's beatable, every character is "beatable", he also has his weaknesses too. But the weaknesses doesn't matter, because there will always be weaknesses, what matters is how easily can the player get around them.
For instance, Sonic has slow starts to his smash attacks, but with nice timing and comboing, you can easily fit them in for a kill.
See, with the way Meta Knight works, a player can easily get around his weaknesses.

But in the end its not how the Character is designed, its how (the majority of) the players operate him.
So, people own with Meta Knight so hard in Italy--combined with the insufficient skill of any other character--that Italy had to ban him--its not like its all that big of a deal, with the power of online gameplay, people can always host their own tournaments with Meta Knight allowed.

Meta Knight is the equivalent to Marth in Melee.
Easy to use, and overly popular. He'll never get banned in the US, mainly because of the competitive ego most American Smash players have.
Not to mention the abundance of Meta Knight fan***s.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
except that in melee, even now, theres still arguement about who is the best character.
some say marth, some say fox, but the point is that even with marth and fox, theres two other charcters that at the highest levels that can compete well with them. falco and shiek. and to a lesser extent CF and Peach can hold their own against marth and fox respectively.
In brawl, if you arent playing MK, youre playing snake, and if you arent playing either, youre doing it wrong.
If this was melee, it would be like, MK and snake are fox and marth, and every one else is about as good as ness or worse, its just not good competition

Gindler

Smash Champion
Wow, this things has been up less than a week and already has 31 pages on it?

Oh and MK is ridiculously light (for some reason no one pointed that out on here yet...), I also think G&W is just as easy and more powerful than MK...

brinboy789

Smash Champion
MK is even simpler than snake because you can **** with one of 5 different tactics.
Snakes game is 5 f-tilts than up tilt, with snakedashing put in for trickeration

MK can be any one of the following:
Tornado until kill percents than down smash
shuttle loop to glide attack cancel, until kill percents than down smash
f-air until kill percents than down smash, and even,
down smash until kill percents and than up b to glide attack to down smash until it hits
or you can mix and match any of the above to devestating affect

and than he has good setups off his throws, all his airials are amazing, and have little to no lag at all times. and his recovery is amazing.

you literally cant go wrong with picking MK.
if you seriously expect this you happen then even i would agre that MK should be banned. the problem is, after using them for "the entire match" as you said, they tend to get predictable, dont ya think. after predicting = punishment = death. MK is light as hell btw

brinboy789

Smash Champion
metaknight is easy to play because:
1. all of his areals link into near-autocombos
2. his recovery is INSANE (all of his B moves can be used to recover, and he can glide, and has the multi jumps)
3. His priority is insane. My friend can basically stay in one place and shffl Fairs. It's a near infinite hitbox and its hella hard to break through.
4. I'm proof that MK is easy to play. After only one match using him, I came in second place at a tourney using him the next day.
5. His play style is based solely on instinct, becaues his speed and priority make up for mistakes.
1. no...only fair bair and uair. uair isnt widely used. others have noticeable lag
2. all of his b moves leave him vulnerable after using. jiggs has best recovery in the game
3. his priority is mediocre. its not bad, somewhere in the good section, but not insane.
4. so? i randomly picked link on random in brawl wifi match and won. taht was first time ever using link and ive played for 2 months. OMG LINK FOR TOP TIER
5. instint? it took me 4 months of practice to get to where i am with it. it takes time and experience with MK.

not saying that snake should be banned, but hes broken too. *fact*. do i even have to list the reasons?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
nair = zillion damage
dair = shdair
fair= useless
uair = good for killing at high altitude. not rly useful tho
bair = godly. cept for landing lag
also, dont forget about air dodge
you have no idea how to juggle snake i take it.

RoyalBlood

Smash Ace
emme at All is Brawl said:
hiya, i'm a member of the italian smash community, and i'm the creator of that thread (i'm also known as MalvaSmash or Malva -no, not isai, i've been owning this nickname since 1997, unfortunately >=( - ).
First of all, this is NOT an OFFICIAL topic, but simply a poll made to let me understand how many people would agree if metaknight was banned. Honestly, I haven't understood why Ald claimed that this poll was something official, since i think that only who organizes this tourney should decide this. So, at the moment MK IS NOT banned in italy. In that thread, you can read this sentence (comes from my first post):

"Per questi ed altri motivi voto sì, vorrei che Meta Knight fosse bannato, almeno per "prova"."

which, in english, is something like "For this and many other causes, I'd like to ban MetaKnight, even just for 'trying' this.". I will maintain my opinion: for me, it is a good idea to test a metagame without it.

greetings from the italian community to allisbrawl, bye :x
GHNeko at All is Brawl said:
Well, this thread just got owned.

lolmisunderstandings.
10misunderstandings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom