• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MetaKnight Infinite Dimensional Cape - hope you enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
Cool, thanks.
I'm still wondering about if it works with turbo controllers though. Can anybody with a WaveBird or 3rd party controller try it out?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
maybe next time i should add the *sarcasms*
Silly shadowlink. You should know sarcasm translates poorly on the interwebz.

As for the name, I don't know how an official name will become all accepted. Some (like me) accept D.I.C.K., some choose IDC/DIC/DCI, some like ghosting, and a few like cloaking. But this isn't the thread for name...

Kiryu

Smash Rookie
So I read while leafing through it had been discovered there was a specific timing for this? What all is it? I don't have what it takes to go through all 90 pages of this thread to see it. But I can't get the technique to work for me so far at any speed and I want to try it myself.

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
So I read while leafing through it had been discovered there was a specific timing for this? What all is it? I don't have what it takes to go through all 90 pages of this thread to see it. But I can't get the technique to work for me so far at any speed and I want to try it myself.
The speed is "FAST"

Justaway

Smash Apprentice
it doesn't work with a turbo controller, just tested it.

this is because the turbo funktion cannot be activatet with the c-stick, if you tell me what custom control scheme to use that would maybe work out I could test that (within the next day though)

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
I have d-pad (taunt) set as smashes, so try setting up taunt as up smash.
If it works, can you tell me what type of controller your using, like what company made it?

Justaway

Smash Apprentice
unfortunately the d-pad also cannot be affected by the turbo function

edit: guess it's not possible, we're all just gonna have to do it the hard way

Justaway

Smash Apprentice
nobody is going to look through all the pages so maybe it'd be a good idea to update the OP with all the key stuff

gantrain05

Smash Master
i don't know about the rest of you, but this really doesn't hurt my thumb mashing up on the c-stick for the tech, it really isn't hard at all, maybe its my 6 years of playing guitar + 20 years of video games, but this just doesn't tire my arm out at all, its an incredibly easy technique to abuse.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I know he's claimed invunerable,

But someone said that falco's laser cuts through it, this true?

shadowlink3

Smash Journeyman
Nothing can touch him. Nothing can touch him....... oh yea!!!!!!! i forgot....... oh wait... nothing can touch him.

You can be snake, Plant c4 on mk, he does the IDC, and you can set off the c4 and it wont hit him, nothing works. v

Dojo

Smash Champion
You fail to see the several issues at hand. First of all, SWD didn't make you incorporeal. It just made you go really fast. Anyone can tell you intangibility is better than speed.

The second issue you fail to grasp is that while this move is situational, it is absolutely and without a doubt the best move in those situations where it is useful. It is so good, that Metaknight can seek to induce those situations, and abuse the move to a deadly extent.

Over on AiB, I analyzed a match where this move was used. Apologies to Dojo and Santi, if they don't approve to be made examples of, then I'll remove the following text, both from this post and the one on AiB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wxAsoU2kSc

I'll now analyze each instance of Dojo's use of this move. By the way, if anyone has an issue with my analysis, feel free to present their own.

0:49 - Dojo initiates the infinite to cross-up Santi while the latter retreats. Detecting the flanking maneuver, Santi stops, and Dojo decloaks just out of range of Santi's coming bair. Dojo spotdodges to be sure. He probably could have managed to ftilt Santi afterwards, but he chooses to pressure from a safe distance. In this manner, he pushes Santi all the way to the right edge, then knocks him off. Dojo botches the edgeguard. Aside from the edgeguard, this is a nearly flawless use of the move to create and capitalize upon a massive upper hand.

3:25 - Santi has just respawned, giving him invincibility frames, which he uses to draw a bomb. In order to keep Santi from abusing his invincibility to gain a positional advantage, Dojo cloaks. (For the record, I consider this to be one of the most broken aspects of this move, as it completely bypasses the post-KO balance that allows most characters to capitalize on being KO'd. Instead, the respawned player is immediately put on the defensive, trying to find a defensible position against the Metaknight for when invincibility wears off.) Santi attempts to punish him by throwing a bomb at the place he thinks Dojo will come back, but Dojo holds the cloak a tad longer, and comes out unscathed. Santi's bomb deters him from continuing the pressure, and the positional balance is reset to zero, which puts Santi at a slight advantage, due to spam. However that advantage is practically insignificant, considering that a character who can become incorporeal pooh-poohs at projectiles.

3:29 - Whaddaya know? Dojo uses the cape once again to cross-up Santi, bypassing Santi's arrows, and forcing Santi to go for another bair. Dojo blocks the first bair, but gets too close while trying to pressure on the second and get's a nick for his trouble. Santi loses his momentary advantage by flubbing an arrow.

3:37 - Dojo once again bypasses Santi's projectile spam, faking out Santi, who attempts to punish with an arrow. Dojo pulls out and grabs Santi for his trouble. Santi counters with a brilliant zair-canceled airdodge, negating Dojo's advantage.

In light of the above analysis, I don't think Dojo ever lost his advantage directly as a result of using this tactic, but rather due to incorrectly following up, or because of brilliant moves on Santi's part. I also humbly submit that Santi played too proactively in attempting to punish the Cape.

Haha santi told me we got analyzed. This was like a day or two after the technique was found, and that was me playing around with it. I wasn't intending on doing anything with it, and when I came out that was just me messing it up. :laugh:

I have gotten it down exceptionally better and can hold it for longer periods of time, but I still don't like to use it too much. I dont know why but yeah.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Haha santi told me we got analyzed. This was like a day or two after the technique was found, and that was me playing around with it. I wasn't intending on doing anything with it, and when I came out that was just me messing it up. :laugh:

I have gotten it down exceptionally better and can hold it for longer periods of time, but I still don't like to use it too much. I dont know why but yeah.
Well, you messed up in some very useful positions :laugh:, and even though you ended the capes prematurely, you began them at (what I consider to be) smart moments.

Strate

Smash Rookie
I can simply not do this. I'm doing the same thing as the guy in the vid that shows his controller and it just doesn't work. Down+B, keep holding down, press c stick up as fast as you can. I don't get it.

shadowlink3

Smash Journeyman
i did the IDC at BIO in a crew battle before i had to take off some stocks for a min + before my friend told me to stop cause he wanted the battle over fast =(

unit182

Smash Apprentice
I have found a way to use this method and cancel the dimensional cape with ANY attack.

Here I demonstrate becoming invisible and canceling it out with tornado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7rw8zvNv3Y

^^
How smart everyone on this board really is.
I've seen this link so many time from my friend it's not even funny. We are much smarter than batman having a seizure to maccaron chaccaron.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Doesn't seem like this will be exploited in competitive play. This leaves MK unchanged and its like we never found a new AT (Like most of Brawl's ATs). Pity.

I wish I could still call it........the forbidden term (Dang Mic 128 banned that name).

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
So much discussion over a banned technique.

I just got around to reading it, and I must say that it was amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom