• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MetaKnight Infinite Dimensional Cape - hope you enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
They mean the slow, laggy and unsafe natural hit from down B, which leaves you open 80% of the time and is very hard to aim.
All the slowness comes from going into cape. From out of cape it's incredibly fast. You're also invulnerable and invisible until the hitbox appears.

Sure, it's got post-lag, but if you hit with it, except at ridiculously low percents it doesn't matter.

Speaking of hitting with it... difficult to aim = you need to practice with it in order to use it. Most powerful ATs require practice to use properly, I see no reason why this should be any different.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
While I was reading this, I kept thinking to myself: This is soooo going to get abused. But then I read the end of you post, and I must say, it was a great conclusion. "you have the power now, use it wisely" I thought that was really good.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I think I've said this already. Without the attack, you just need to space. With the attack, you need to time it. Both of them require practice to use properly. At low percents, you'll want to use the spacing-oriented non-attack variety to pressure your opponent and start doing damage. At medium to high percent, you can start mixing it up. This is pretty much what I've been saying the whole time. Just because Dojo didn't use the attack option in that video doesn't mean I think the attack is worthless, it's just not the best of the two in every situation.
The percentage varies from character to character based on weight, but only for heavy characters do you have to wait for mid percents to actually become unpunishable if you hit. After you hit that point, spamming the "attack out of cape guessing game approach" becomes the best option because, realistically speaking, once you're practiced enough, you're not gonna miss, you'll be able to exploit expected vulnerability frames in defensive techniques (aka from rolls, airdodges, spotdodges), you'll be able to maneuver the technique well, and have the patience to stay in infinite cape for a long enough average period (while randomizing the actual exit times) to make this by far the best option.

However, it does pay to occasionally not use the attack out of cape for mindgames and kill moves.

The point I'm making is that the attack out of cape is the best option at most percents. Not the only option you should use mind you, because using a lesser option with the belief that you're gonna use the best option as cover is a very viable strategy. But that doesn't change the fact that it is the best option.

Well, you recognize that it's not a KOer. I must have misunderstood your previous post. Apologies for that.
NP

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
then why not just use another move when you come out?
Seriously, don't listen to nessbounder on this one, almost all the slowness (and all the detectable slowness) are negated by doing it out of infinite dimensional cape.

Since the timing is so unpredictable, except at really low percentages, it becomes safe simply by virtue of the fact that you will always hit with it unless you whiff (which means you need to practice) barring a miracle. The knockback will prevent retaliation.

That said, you can use other moves out of of IDC (btw, that's my vote for the technique's name, a simple acronym), but you get a small amount of endlag which is theoretically punishable, but in practice VERY difficult because you have no idea when/where he'll appear. Still, it's far easier to defend against then the natural attack, which isn't saying much (except at low percents).

But yeah, it's completely valid and applicable to skip the attack and use this to set up for say.... dtilt, downsmash, shuttle loop, etc. Dtilt especially at low percents when the natural attack is still punishable and downsmash and shuttle loop at higher percents for the kill. It's just not the best option the vast majority of the time, but since it's only slightly less effective it's definitely something to throw in to mix up your game.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Since the timing is so unpredictable, except at really low percentages, it becomes safe simply by virtue of the fact that you will always hit with it unless you whiff (which means you need to practice) barring a miracle.
I don't think you could exaggerate it more. Please, continue. I want to see how far you can take this move.

IrArby

Smash Ace
IrArby. As already said, D.I.C.K./ghosting/IDC has to actually prove itself broken in tournaments before a legitamate ban takes place.

And Wobbling is no longer banned (hasn't been banned for awhile I think). :)
I actually said that it would have to be tested first just to clarify. And the point is, Wobbling was banned. It was also specific to a much less broken character and was much more situational than this tech. An IC who spends 3mins trying to get off a grab will probably sustain at least one KO. A MK who spends 3mins Caping (this includes all of the cape tactics discussed so far) will reap much better rewards for his tech. Wobbling is high risk high reward. Caping is Low Risk Moderately High Reward.

Arikie

Smash Journeyman
in all honesty.. it's not even worth using it...
lol, are you sure? you can be invincible, move at dashing speed, edgeguard, and attack across the whole stage, and if you can keep it up long enough you can stall the match ( just thinking about that makes my thumbs hurt >_< )

elunesgrace

Smash Rookie
lol, are you sure? you can be invincible, move at dashing speed, edgeguard, and attack across the whole stage, and if you can keep it up long enough you can stall the match ( just thinking about that makes my thumbs hurt >_< )
The only practical use I've found for this technique was actually mentioned by someone earlier. When someone comes back in invincibility mode after they die, its great to stall them into losing it then forcing them on the defensive. In that one specific instance it is slightly broken, but I don't know why people have been crying over it. Chaingrabs are far more gamebreaking. In all reality though, its part of the game and its not a move that can really be abused more then in that instance. Now if someone found a way to keep the tornado of MK going forever, that would be a different story. I have a friend trying to find a way to do it lolz.

Cloak and Dagger

Smash Journeyman
I actually said that it would have to be tested first just to clarify. And the point is, Wobbling was banned. It was also specific to a much less broken character and was much more situational than this tech. An IC who spends 3mins trying to get off a grab will probably sustain at least one KO. A MK who spends 3mins Caping (this includes all of the cape tactics discussed so far) will reap much better rewards for his tech. Wobbling is high risk high reward. Caping is Low Risk Moderately High Reward.
News flash, it aint that hard to get a grab with the ICs. So wobbling is not high risk at all. Plus, wobbling is extremely easy to do.

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
hey -noob question- but like i have the nunchuck and wii-mote how would i do mk infinite. with that.
And sorry for noob question. kinda new to me

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
Still can't do the god****ed move, not even after practicing at 1/4 speed. I've tried mashing up the c-stick at every possible part of the animation, directly after the animation, tried holding the b-button, tried not holding the b-button...what's wrong with me? I jut can't do it no matter how hard I try!

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
It helps me to angle the top of the controller downward a bit (to make hitting the c-stick up easier and faster for me) , and to rebound the pinky, ring and middle (or whichever fingers are at the back of the controller) against the back of the controller while you hit the c-stick with your thumb. thumb, back fingers, thumb, back fingers...etc It's like when you drum on a table with your thumb and the three fingers. though, if you aren't used to it then it might be a hassle for you to try to emulate.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
Still doesn't work. I cape, mash up (is that push up a bunch of times or hold up quickly as possible, I've tried botrh without any success) while holding down, nothing. I don't know what rebound means in this context, and I probably couldn't do it anyway.

Oh , this is so embarrassing. I'm seriously about to cry because I can't even do the cheapest trick in the book, not even with the WiiMote and Nunchuk. *beats self up*

IrArby

Smash Ace
News flash, it aint that hard to get a grab with the ICs. So wobbling is not high risk at all. Plus, wobbling is extremely easy to do.
News flash ICs have one of the shortest grab ranges in the game, you have to be desynched as well as a few other requirements (ask Yuna he knows), and people do everything in their power to not get grabbed by ICs anyway. Its also a pretty precise timing to Wobble. If its so easy to get the grab off and Wobble someone to death why haven't I heard of you doing this to everyone. Yea Wobbling isn't as easy as your making it out to be.

Frames

DI
News flash ICs have one of the shortest grab ranges in the game, you have to be desynched as well as a few other requirements (ask Yuna he knows), and people do everything in their power to not get grabbed by ICs anyway. Its also a pretty precise timing to Wobble. If its so easy to get the grab off and Wobble someone to death why haven't I heard of you doing this to everyone. Yea Wobbling isn't as easy as your making it out to be.
wobbling is mad easy to do, people are just smart and figure ways around it, they still get wobbled, but not enough where its considered broken or warranting a ban.

IrArby

Smash Ace
No matter how easy Wobbling is Caping is easier (to initiate or use) its less situational you don't have to set up for it like Wobbling. The fact remains that Wobbling is a much less broken technique on a much less broken character and got banned. This tech is (arguably) more broken or at least much less situational and belongs to a much more broken character.

shadowlink3

Smash Journeyman
No matter how easy Wobbling is Caping is easier (to initiate or use) its less situational you don't have to set up for it like Wobbling. The fact remains that Wobbling is a much less broken technique on a much less broken character and got banned. This tech is (arguably) more broken or at least much less situational and belongs to a much more broken character.
who said MK was broken? hes weaker than Gannon, and we all know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom