• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MetaKnight Infinite Dimensional Cape - hope you enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justaway

Smash Apprentice
I used it at nintendo's "official" (smashballs and random stage) tournament today, of course they didn't notice, nobody did. they just died like flies till they got smashballs

gantrain05

Smash Master
I used it at nintendo's "official" (smashballs and random stage) tournament today, of course they didn't notice, nobody did. they just died like flies till they got smashballs
thats not a tournament, thats just hell. don't ever go to a nintendo official tournament.

Justaway

Smash Apprentice
it's not like I took it seriously, but when they are holding it that close to you and there's a chance you might get lucky and win a 37" TV and 5 games lol. it's like entering a lottery with a lot less contestants

here's how I lost though:
me vs fox, first stock I killed him and got 15 damage.
my first stock the stage flipped over and I died, my second and third stock he got the landmaster hahah

Smasher89

Smash Lord
it's not like I took it seriously, but when they are holding it that close to you and there's a chance you might get lucky and win a 37" TV and 5 games lol. it's like entering a lottery with a lot less contestants

here's how I lost though:
me vs fox, first stock I killed him and got 15 damage.
my first stock the stage flipped over and I died, my second and third stock he got the landmaster hahah
Did you also have lagprojectors on your qualifies?

shadowlink3

Smash Journeyman
First of all, why would this be locked if its banned in tourney? thats dumb. Its a discussion topic for it anyways. Just cause its banned, doesnt give no1 a reason to lock it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
"Some might stall with it. BAN IT NAOOO!"
-SBR
Do you REALLY wanna get into this again?

Create the rule that deals with the stalling issue while following all the criteria I previously mentioned, and then it can be open to discussion.

Otherwise, it's an infinite stall, and infinite stalls = ban.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
^Show me some1 holding it out long enough to constitute stalling. No videos were ever produced here.

Also Melee Fox could hypothetically infinite stall by repeatedly JC Shining at a certain speed (rendering him invincible), yet that was never banned (or taken advantage of for stalling just like this tech).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
^Show me some1 holding it out long enough to constitute stalling. No videos were ever produced here.

Also Melee Fox could hypothetically infinite stall by repeatedly JC Shining at a certain speed (rendering him invincible), yet that was never banned (or taken advantage of for stalling just like this tech).
As I remember, they were never able to prove that it was possible to eliminate all the vulnerability frames. Hence, no ban.

This on the other hand, has been positively proven to have no vulnerability frames, and doing it is merely a question of having enough skill to do so. Which means practice.

Again, some techniques are not worth it, but could anyone honestly say that an auto-win when your opponent is at a higher percent is not worth it?

Play to win, if it's legal it's worth spending all the time you would spend on all other technique training and playing to learn, just to gain enough mastery to use this tech for 8 minutes flat. I know that if it were legal, I'd definitely be ignoring every other technique training in favor of learning it.

Win conditions with an easy requirement, who wouldn't learn it, realistically speaking?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I just went around and learned that myself. I was actually looking for you Magus. My apologies for my previous statement.

....I still hate this tech being banned though...

flame013191

Smash Cadet
This was suprisingly easy for me 2 learn. It's a very valuable skill to have. Its so much fun to confuse my friends with this!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No one wants to be known as a complete douchebag for using it.
Play to win.

You should always be using every legal method to win.

(by legal I mean not prohibited by the "default" ruleset of no hacks, no unplugging controller, no attacking opponents outside of the game, etc unless specified otherwise and/or the tournament rules)

If you're not, you're barring yourself by an arbitrary ruleset that prohibits your development as a player, and prevents a true competitive mindset.

In other words if you don't do it because you don't want to be known as a douche, you are what Sirlin refers to as a "scrub". So are the people who think you're a douche for using it of course, since they're also not playing to win.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure its the difficulty of applying it in a significantly useful way (besides stalling matches which every1 tries to avoid anyway).

Sadly, no1 has figured out a way of doing so........

salaboB

Smash Champion
In other words if you don't do it because you don't want to be known as a douche, you are what Sirlin refers to as a "scrub". So are the people who think you're a douche for using it of course, since they're also not playing to win.
The person not using the trick would not be the scrub. The only scrub would be the one complaining about you doing something that was within the rules that *they* considered unfair.

Also, just because you're playing in a tournament doesn't mean you must use every dirty trick in the book -- there's this thing called having fun and enjoying competition, and if you have a fair fight just by not using one trick you may very well have more fun and winning is a secondary consideration.

I wish people would figure out their own point and quit throwing that article around as if it says anything other than "If you're in a tournament you must use every dirty trick you know that is allowed by the rules to win, otherwise you're an utter failure of a person who should never try to play any game ever again." It really is irrelevent in most situations, and lacks any sort of true depth or insight beyond Sirlin's very narrow view of how things should be done.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The person not using the trick would not be the scrub. The only scrub would be the one complaining about you doing something that was within the rules that *they* considered unfair.

Also, just because you're playing in a tournament doesn't mean you must use every dirty trick in the book -- there's this thing called having fun and enjoying competition, and if you have a fair fight just by not using one trick you may very well have more fun and winning is a secondary consideration.
*bolding added.

Right there. We're talking about a competitive enviroment, where we are playing to win. Sure, playing to win can be fun (personally, I love it and quite frankly find it insulting when an opponent sticks to imaginary codes insteading of going at me full strength), but that's not the primary consideration, winning IS.

If you're not commenting on a competitive enviroment with this core idea in mind, then your commentary has no bearing whatsoever upon it. I would assume that the MK community considers itself competitive, so they should be acting as such, and playing to win. If not there's something wrong with that.

Is the MK community a competitive community?

I wish people would figure out their own point and quit throwing that article around as if it says anything other than "If you're in a tournament you must use every dirty trick you know that is allowed by the rules to win, otherwise you're an utter failure of a person who should never try to play any game ever again." It really is irrelevent in most situations, and lacks any sort of true depth or insight beyond Sirlin's very narrow view of how things should be done.
Lol, really I had established the point on my own, refering to Sirlin was just an additive to give the point additional grounding.

Regardless, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a casual gamer. But the casual prospective should not be considered in a competitive enviroment, that's not what a competitive is for. The underlying assumption should be that everyone plays to win, because assuming otherwise leads to penalization of people who do play to win. Furthermore, the enviroment's founding ideas are based on that, it should bind the players together, if you don't play to win, what's the point of being part of a community's that's core principal is "play to win", especially when ability in the community is judged on how well you perform under those principals.

It's akin to being in a Kali club that teaches through sparing and disagreeing with sparring on principal, what's the point?

The fact is, they're not dirty tricks, they're the mechanisms of the game, and if you're a competitive player you should be playing like one, if not, don't claim to be one. The MK community claims to be a competitive community, so there's no issue with making a judgment on them based on how well they fit the criteria.

doomweasel

Smash Cadet
No one wants to be known as a complete douchebag for using it.
As soon as people stop chaingrabbing and projectile spamming, I'll stop being a douchebag. When there are so many people who resort to using ANY tactic to win, it's best to at least be familiar with those tactics. Am I wrong?

finalstain

Smash Rookie
As soon as people stop chaingrabbing and projectile spamming, I'll stop being a douchebag. When there are so many people who resort to using ANY tactic to win, it's best to at least be familiar with those tactics. Am I wrong?
Chaingrabbing and projectile spamming can be stopped/outsmarted/beaten, but to stop someone from performing their downB? Its impossible to do anything against the infi-cape since all you need do is simply perform the downB... you dont need to hit with it, and what your opponent does is of no relevence to the outcome of the situation. Its stupider than anything you can compare it with.

Also, for the record the "Im gonna be a douchebag until everyone else stops being douchebags" logic has gotta be the worst ever. If everyone had that logic then earth would just be one giant douche, full of billions of little douchebags, all of whom are unwilling to change their attitude simply because the person next to them does the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom