• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's New Match Up Thread: Diddy Kong

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Idk if this has been mentioned:

If you are holding a banana, and diddy grabs you and throws u, if you z drop the banana as you are getting tossed diddy will trip if he tries to dash>follow up so your position is reset kind of
Diddy will do this to you after you throw him as well, so also keep that in mind

zyth

Smash Lord
Stupid ****ing monkey annoying *** bananas **** **** *** ****
LMAO thats what I say everytime I see one....

but really this mu is definitly hard just because.

Diddys ground game is pretty much unbeatable when he pulls the bannanas out unless you know how to slide with them to and steal them from him.

in the air diddy has less advantage but can sideb to try and stay out of MK punishment range when coming back down.

the onlly real thing to try and pull off I can think of is to gimp him while hes off the stage, when he tries to jump or sideb get close to him with dair which will probly scare him into airdodging and by then you can chase him some more and hit him with another one before or during his upb.

don't go too much on diddy since I usually try MrGnW when I see him

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Sheik boards are discussing the Mk matchup. Input would be greatly appreciated.

Rockan

Smash Apprentice
Don't apraoch him when he the diddy has good banana control, and when his bananas start to fade away and he wants to pull out more thats where you punish him, and punish him hard!!!

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
What do you PERSONALLY think the matchup is between mk and diddy, relative to the actual mu:cool:

V

Smash Ace
55:45 at least if you're focused and have command of you're character

Orion*

Smash Researcher
i feel like its 6:4 when i play everyone but adhd (even if i lose, i just did something blatantly wrong). he makes me feel like its closer to even -.-

V

Smash Ace
i feel like its 6:4 when i play everyone but adhd (even if i lose, i just did something blatantly wrong). he makes me feel like its closer to even -.-
I feel like its 60:40 also but I didn't know if I was gonna get flamed for saying that because everybody asks how to fight diddy kong and they'd never think we have that much of an advantage

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Stop caring about the ratio, it won´t win you the matchup. ;)
LOL I completely agree with this statement. Props.

Quit worrying about the ratio and just learn the MU.

It's slightly in MKs favor, so learn what it takes to beat him. Knowing the ratio does absolutely nothing but make you feel like you should have won because it's "6-4"

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Yeah, but Diddy could just catch it with his fair while simultaneously hitting you with it. So I guess it depends on what Diddy likes to do? idk T_T

Staco

Smash Champion
I don´t know if this was allready mentioned.
If Diddy throws a banana at your shield you can jump before it hits the shield.
You will then get out of the shield + instantly be back at the ground and then you are able to react to whatever the Diddy does.

Give you more options than the OoS stuff.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
LMFAO.
Idk why I never use glide toss vs diddy. Doesn't seem useful lol

etecoon

Smash Hero
glide toss ISN'T that useful IMO, it's usually predictable and doesn't give you that much reward, and any time you throw a banana at diddy you're risking that he regains control of it, I usually like to just take control of them and guard them, only throwing it if it's nearly guaranteed to hit

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Glide toss = free Dsmash even if he jabs you

Now Gnes has told me he's Side-B'd Infinity out of GT before. ********.

You hear that Gnes. Your character is BROKEN!

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Gnes didn't want to friendly me. He said I would eventually beat him if he taught me the MU,

lol wat a joke <3333

Adrostos

Smash Rookie
Hello Smashboards, This is my take on the Diddy MU for what i have learned through experience.

There is one major factor in this MU that heavily sways the results of the round even more so then it does in several other MU's. This factor is Momentum. Both Mk and DDK can put momentum to great and devestating effect. controlling and maintaining the pace of your offensive and defensive choices during either to maximize the use of your momentum, or minimize the effect of the DDK's momentum, will decide the match.

Metaknight Tools and Tips.

Do not be fooled the ground does not belong to only Diddy, Metaknight has impressive ground speed and various options to avoid being pressured without a safe escape route.

- Learn the spacing of How far diddy can throw a banana forward with and without glidetossing. (this will make alot of things easier in the mu >_>)

-Do not try to Aggresively pressure Diddy with Nado when he is on the floor, even without a banana his fast ground speed can make most of mk's landing choices unsafe. However, If you get Diddy into the air you can read his ground recovery with nado and basically any of his airs to try to continue the juggle.

-If you Use a WELL spaced ftilit once to check diddy you can avoid any punish that diddy trys to comeback with. given the slight hitlag on the his shield and the time it takes to throw the banana oos you will have enough time to raise shield, and better yet roll back. (provided he doesnt Pshield the first ftilit slash youre fine)

-IMO Dont try to Control diddy's bananas, Rather try to Keep them out of play entirly. If you Grab a banana throw it upwards or onto platforms or near ledges. Yes Diddy can Easily recover bananas from platforms or sitting on ledges, But to do so he will have to go exactly where you want him, now you have baited him into a situation. All you need to do is find the right way to follow him and start your momentum. Now if he opts not to chase the bananas or waits for one or both to expire you still have the advantage in that now his best wepon is just out of reach, atleast in terms of safe reach.

-When Gimping if DDK is directly below the ledge dont try falling nair. Even M2K overshoots this lolol? diddy's often charge their up b to try and find an oppourtune time to release. Fall down off the ledge and hover just below and off the ledge so that the Diddy up b will come between you and the ledge to try and recover. Wait for him to fly up and Dair him (out of Reaction of his up b reelease, dont sit there dairing or ull miss) and for most stages this will put diddy in a pretty much unsurvivable position.

-When Diddy is Recoverying horizontally hover between the stage and him and ABOVE his Side b or second jump spacing.

-Remember that When diddy holds a banana and shields he can no longer shield grab. Glide toss is slower then a basic shield drop to toss and both of those options are even Slower then a Shield grab. If you see the oppourtunity take advantage of this and Grab diddy !!!! people are always so afraid of being close to diddy but you can still control tight spacing as long as you dont panic and get stupid.

-Be patient on finding kill moves, if you become impatient when ddk is at high percent your lead will diminish quickly. This is what i meant about maintaining the pace between offense and defense. you cannot always be one or the other!

Sorry if anyone Disagrees with any of this, These are all based on personal experience.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
I prefer Jump Cancel Toss rather than Glide Toss. You would gain much more control imo.

Fair to pick up nanners rather than dash attack (only if you're far enough from diddy when you CAN dash attack). I somehow always Jab when I try to pick up nanners with A... it must be me though.

Getting the grab on Diddy is really important. He can't do much of anything at all other than outpredicting you (side b'ing your attempted shieldgrab or something). I personally just choose from Nado to Shieldgrabbing the possible Fair for more grab-rack-up-damage.

If you have a stock lead, you could just stand at the ledge and/or shield camp when you're in the range of Diddy's glidetoss (learning the range is important as Adrostos mentioned). If you get hit with a nanner you'll just fall to the ledge. If he grabs you, you won't die until around 195% with DI... I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. Just a general view for now.

Nado pressure is terrible vs Diddy. His shield is really broken and can punish you easily with his speed, especially with a nanner in hand. But when juggling, Nado can keep him in the air and rack up damage well. UpB OoS is also pretty terrible vs Diddy. It's asking you to get punished with Fair or Uair. I use a ton of Fair vs Diddy. It's my personal best OoS option. Full hop Dair seems to work too, but you could always just roll to mix it up and keep Diddy guessing.

NNID
Budget_Player
I've had a lot of success with tornado against diddy, actually-same usage as on snake-be careful, and it's basically free damage-especially when he's airborne. Just don't do it if he has a ****ing banana, because that **** is nasty.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I've had a lot of success with tornado against diddy, actually-same usage as on snake-be careful, and it's basically free damage-especially when he's airborne. Just don't do it if he has a ****ing banana, because that **** is nasty.
Actually, Diddy is good at avoiding/punishing Meta Knight's B with his Side-B, B, shield, and bananas. One thing that I don't see Diddy's use very often when their shield is low is Up-B OoS when Meta Knight is above them; it's ridiculously good.

Staco

Smash Champion
If you have a stock lead, you could just stand at the ledge and/or shield camp when you're in the range of Diddy's glidetoss (learning the range is important as Adrostos mentioned). If you get hit with a nanner you'll just fall to the ledge. If he grabs you, you won't die until around 195% with DI... I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. Just a general view for now.
Yeah, this works really well, but Diddy got some ways around it.

Jem.

Smash Master
I might make a new big post re-evaluating the matchup, I feel like I re-learned the matchup after Felix got home from MLG. I still think it's MK favor though.

When you have a small lead that is something like 3 stocks high percent vs 2 stock 0%, I usually just run around until the Diddy get's greedy. You don't even need the ledge, he'll probably try to kill you with fair when you just run around.

Staco

Smash Champion
Like what? no really, idk
He can wait for your shield to get low.
Fair, DSmash, jump in and UTilt.
If you don´t shield he can banana to dsmash you (it connects, even if you get hit offstage to the ledge).

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
A good diddy will almost never let you land a nado if he is on the ground. With or without a banana.
If he's in the air thats a different story.

Top Bottom