• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's New Match Up Thread: Diddy Kong

Grump

Smash Apprentice
I expect many more Diddy main converts to be cropping up soon.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Well if Diddy's are gonna do it...

I'm gonna work on getting a video up of MK doing a banana lock on Diddy with my friend. I'll let you guys know when I have the video together.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
MK has one of the easiest foot stool banana locks... Just learn it.
You guys have to really think about what each of these characters lose when they are holding a banana. While on the ground, Diddy Kong loses a nearly useless F-smash, a laggy D-smash, his jab and two somewhat useful tilts. Metaknight however, loses a powerful F-smash, a fast D-smash, and three useful tilts. Metaknight is not a character who should be focusing on banana play. If you can't find a use for the banana right after you pick it up, it is best to just throw it out or to put it in a place that makes it difficult for Diddy to get a hold of (a platform or behind you next to the edge).

Jem.

Smash Master
You guys have to really think about what each of these characters lose when they are holding a banana. While on the ground, Diddy Kong loses a nearly useless F-smash, a laggy D-smash, his jab and two somewhat useful tilts. Metaknight however, loses a powerful F-smash, a fast D-smash, and three useful tilts. Metaknight is not a character who should be focusing on banana play. If you can't find a use for the banana right after you pick it up, it is best to just throw it out or to put it in a place that makes it difficult for Diddy to get a hold of (a platform or behind you next to the edge).
I think throwing the banana off the stage is one of the worst options you can with the banana, considering how easy it is for diddy to get a banana back. (any smash, throw, fair) and he pulls it back out. Unless youre double-triple jumping and throwing it up so he atleast has to wait around 6-7 seconds to re-pull. But bait the banana if you really arent that comfortable using it (As MK, you need to be comfortable though with instant throwing and such) Just set the banana behind you, or start using your banana as a defensive wall like diddy does. if he goes for it, nado or punish however he is trying to approach the banana. then work towards walling him.

etecoon

Smash Hero
this and also think about what is gained by holding a banana and again it makes much more sense for diddy to be using it

is MK's single naner lock really that easy? I haven't tried it, it looks difficult and impractical and I would've assumed it was seeing as no MK's use it...but at this point you may not have a choice since diddy's will be doing it to us...

Exdeath

Smash Master
this and also think about what is gained by holding a banana and again it makes much more sense for diddy to be using it

is MK's single naner lock really that easy? I haven't tried it, it looks difficult and impractical and I would've assumed it was seeing as no MK's use it...but at this point you may not have a choice since diddy's will be doing it to us...
It isn't very easy, but it isn't very difficult either. Also, MK has plenty of opportunities to begin a banana lock (e.g. glide attack at low percents, punishing an air dodge, if you read Diddy trying to Fair your shield when he's landing, etc.). Also, MK has a great pressure/zoning game on Diddy's shield while he has a banana. Fsmash is very little use in the Diddy match-up. You shouldn't really use it outside of hard reads (Diddy's spot dodge is too good to just Fsmash on a read :ohwell:) and edge guarding/trapping.

When you hit Diddy's shield with a banana, you can either guaranteed shield poke him (assuming that he doesn't power shield it) or he will have to spot dodge, which leaves him open for a grab/kill move if you read it.

Jem.

Smash Master
More people need to drill rush edgeguard Diddy.

Yes, I said that correctly. Props to t1mmy for showing it to everyone in the Northwest, and being able to find a use for it in tournament.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I might try that, it just seems to risky against a smart diddy.
Id rather stick with nairing diddy after he up bs, and also shuttle looping his over b. :p

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I would assume Drill Rush edge guarding would entail that you Drush to the ledge from the stage, like angle it down so you snap back to grab the ledge, or cancel it to an aerial.

vato_break

Smash Master
The only risk is maybe losing stage control because diddy saves his jump and jumps over you or something, if thats the case i wouldn't go for it. Losing stage control against diddy is something you don't want to risk. Does diddy's fair beat drill?

Jem.

Smash Master
So, I just got word that me vs felix, me vs nerd (mk), and me vs firefly (yoshi) from Tourneyplay Portland were all recorded, and will be uploaded within a few days. vs felix, I kill him at 90 with the drill rush edgeguard, ill try to explain it best i can without the video till its up.

lets just say its battlefield. diddy is below the left part of the stage recovering from low, and youre at the center of battlefield. jump, and drill rush from above into the ledge, and if I remember correctly, it just makes his barrels fall down and he's dead. And when he's parrallel to the stage recovering from the side, but semi close to the ledge, you can do the same thing, over b from above, and whats diddy going to do? You cant really air dodge drill rush since it has so many hits, and his over b and fair dont go through it if I remember? When he's parallel, it wont kill him likely, but it'll get more damage, and pop him back out again so you can decide what to do from there.

Jem.

Smash Master
Diddy's are getting smarter about not getting totally destroyed by nairs.

Nado with banana in hand is good yeah. Just drain their shield a bit because they'll sit in shield when you have a banana, then nado once you know he can't abuse his amazing shield and will either have to roll into it or just accept the hit

if you end up nado'ing and he is able to shield it, you can nado away and glide toss in safety or roll (but mk'a backwards roll isn't good, and if you roll forward in that situation you're typically rolling behind him position-wise)

dang vids still aren't up yet :/

Mprime

Smash Ace
Not gna read through the thread and see what's already been posted, just going to share my knowledge.

You don't lose smah attacks when holding a banana. Just hold the attack button when you pick up an item and you will still be able to smash attack with the c stick. Alot of players know about this but aren't nescesarily aware of it in combat and it can be used as a mind game.

Having a better nanner game is key in this MU so learn to take those nanners from him at any means nessecary. If u suck with nanners throw them away any chance you get or throw them upwards preferably so diddy cannot pul another nanner out. If you have the lead you can also camp till his nanners dissapear. If diddy has no nanners go aggro and pressure him as much as possible to not let him pul out any bananas. Learn to catch/insta throw nanners at point blank range. The further you are the more you can rely on reaction the closer you are the more you will have to rely on reads. If you block a nana it flys above you and you can catch it but beware you could be punished for catching the nana, an air dodge grab release or insta throw downwards can prevent the punish but it still can be punished, it just covers more options. This works on both sides of the mu but you can bait your opponent to pick up a nanner and just hit him with a dsmash, fsmash, etc, when they go to pick it up if you are standing beside the nanner.

Don't ever dash at diddy when he has nanners in his hand because they can punish your dash animation easily especially when he has both nanners at his feet or 1 in hand and 1 at feet.

As long as they aren't too stale nair and i believe dair gimp diddys up b, just be ready to DI if his barrel hits you, it could lead to a stage spike or just send you flying out of the blast zone.

Kinda lazy so i will just be posting bits of info here and there when it comes to mind, I know alot about this MU. You could say it is my most well known.

:phone:

Mprime

Smash Ace
you are wrong. You can smash attack when holding a banana as long as you are holding the attack button and using the c stick to smash. Best way to do this is hold the attack button when you pick up the banana when you pick it up. Also mk can dsmash from a nana toss/glide and many more options. Mk has a strong nanner game so use them to your advantage.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
you are wrong. You can smash attack when holding a banana as long as you are holding the attack button and using the c stick to smash. Best way to do this is hold the attack button when you pick up the banana when you pick it up. Also mk can dsmash from a nana toss/glide and many more options. Mk has a strong nanner game so use them to your advantage.

MK's F-smash can't really be used to approach or punish though

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
It's been a year and a half since valuable information about the Diddy MU has come out. In this current metagame, is there a better way to deal with Diddy than the other information that were shown in the previous posts?

Top Bottom