• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well ZSS really can't do **** when you attack her shield. And she can't attack your shield either. Or something. No ZSS players here in Finland.

etecoon

Smash Hero
if it's so obvious then why do you need help?

ZSS may as well not have a grab and all of her useable attacks fall into two categories: slow attacks with range and fast attacks without range. position yourself a certain distance away from her and she can't do anything you can't powershield on reaction

correct though, don't camp in your shield she actually can pressure that, hence why I said WAIT and then shield

etecoon

Smash Hero
punish OOS? you're meta knight lol

what I am actually curious about in this MU is how do you guys deal with armor pieces? I feel like I have a strong advantage on ZSS after that but I'm not that good with items lol, I usually just kind of try to camp hardcore until they're gone...

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Armor pieces aren't too big of a deal, you can **** each other with them pretty much. I guess because I play against Diddys a lot I work on item control, so my main focus is just getting that 1 piece, hitting her with it then getting rid of the other pieces.

Also, if I'm busy shielding Side-B, I can't punish her OoS >_>

Exdeath

Smash Master
punish OOS? you're meta knight lol

what I am actually curious about in this MU is how do you guys deal with armor pieces? I feel like I have a strong advantage on ZSS after that but I'm not that good with items lol, I usually just kind of try to camp hardcore until they're gone...
Actually, she can jab/tilt you if you try to do anything OoS after she hits it with Dsmash. Also, Meta Knight is better with items than ZSS. If you get ZSS off of the stage when you have an item piece and you use it to trap her, I'm pretty sure that she doesn't have any way to prevent you from gimping her.

As for what to do with ZSS' pressure on your shield, tilt/ grab her if she tries to Dsmash, shield if she tries to do anything else (other than grab). If she tries to Side-B after a Dsmash (it will probably shield poke you after a Dsmash), Froll on reaction of Side-B coming out. For her grab, it actually is pretty good while its hit box is out; I've been grabbed out of a short hop when I'm more than a retreating-Fair's distance away before (I read a dash attack and they grabbed instead). I can't really suggest spot dodging unless you hard read a grab, because her punish on a baited spot dodge is just so hard that you're often better off taking the grab than risking the alternative.

When you're returning to the stage after a juggle or near-KO, don't be afraid to fast-fall at ZSS and then jump>Dair away from the stage to dissuade her; your main goal is to make it so that you're below the stage (within Down-B distance of the ledge) with at least two jumps so that you can safely recover. When she's harassing you off of the ledge, you can react to all of her options. You can just fall out of her Fair/Nair/etc. distance and air dodge on reaction to any attempted Side-B. Don't just air dodge when she comes at you -- learn to react to the Side-B itself coming out. Don't bother trying to perfect shield Dsmash unless the ZSS player is being predictable with their charge times; if they charge it just a few frames longer than you're expecting them to, she can punish your whiffed attack with a kill move.

A good punish for Side-B on your shield (assuming that you're out of punishing range/at the tip) is to mix-up running at her (generally countered by Dtilt/dash attack/grab) and a running and rising Dair (counters Dtilt/dash attack/running forward). If you run at her and she attempts to Dsmash you, the aforementioned mix-up game after a Dsmash begins. If she does anything other than retreating, she is either open to a punish or is shielding, at which point you can begin pressuring her shield.

The main reason that some people say to just shield is that her best option against your shield will be to Dsmash which then leads into a mix-up game. In the mix-up, her counters against shield are to change the positioning (retreat/jump/etc.), grab (which is generally a large-risk, medium reward), Side-B (which it is necessary to react to), and Dsmash, which Meta Knight can generally punish on reaction (Up-B is the best for this and punishing Dsmash in general, because it has relatively little risk of whiffing, is frame safer due to frame 5 invincibility, and beats her non-positional/non-shielding options).

As far as armor pieces go, there are two relevant categories that I place my opponent in: Better than me at controlling the pieces and not better than me at controlling the pieces. Planking is the safest option for the former (it sacrifices initial stage control and is not a good option overall, however) and you want the armor pieces to quickly take the first stock of the latter type. The ZSS who is better than me with the armor pieces also goes into several sub-categories: Does or does not have a different style with armor pieces and does or does not know how to deal with air camping. These two groups are inter-related; of the several notable ZSS players I have experience with (Nick Riddle, HRNut, and D-Torr), only HRNut and D-Torr change their styles while they have armor piece(s), and between HRNut and D-Torr, only HRNut knows how to deal with air camping with armor pieces.

To explain how this is relevant to my point of them being inter-related, I will further explain D-Torr. D-Torr knows how to deal with air camping when the armor pieces are not present, but for whatever reason does not cope well with it while items are present. D-Torr handles items better than I do, however I ultimately choose to leave the pieces because I prefer facing him with how he deals with air camping. Normally he will patiently wait and either bait a Dair and punish with a Uair or attempt to punish my landing. When items are present however, he will wait and throw the items at me. When I catch an item and throw it up, he approaches. He does not approach because he has to, but because he wants the armor piece back and does not consciously recognize the pros and cons before he does so as he would without the pieces.

HRNut, on the other hand, will slowly approach with armor pieces by running forward and glide tossing the items vertically so that they are implicitly covering the zone that ZSS is weak to aerial zoning (watch a video of Marth vs. ZSS to understand what I'm talking about -- Meta Knight can use it as well) as well as covering his grounded zones with the standard ground mix-up. In addition to this, HRNut is very fluid with his punish game; he quickly follows up hits with throwing an armor piece to prevent me being in my favorite position to recover the momentim -- the ground , while pursuing me in the air. In addition to this, he is adept with aiming the armor pieces so that any poor DI will lead to death at mid-percents. This is the most difficult ZSS for me (personally) to face, and I find HRNut's ZSS to be substantially more difficult than Nick Riddle's.

Sorry for the unorganized post.

etecoon

Smash Hero
personally I feel like GAW benefits more from stage jankyness than MK, I'd just go to a neutral myself or something not too odd, brinstar would be probably the last place I'd take him to

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I agree with etecoon. Stick with neutrals. Don't take him to Brinstar or RC. Gay lol.

Albert.

Smash Master
MK can Froll ZSS's grab on reaction and then be in a position to punish with basically anything you want. (depending on the spacing, I like Nair cause you can get that oh-so-sweet full hit of nair)

n1ckRiddle told me the FRoll thing

fun fact: Snake's Utilt out speeds ZSS's grab on reaction.

Grump

Smash Apprentice
So I was directed here by yon poster up there...

I was curious about what exactly makes our counterpicks good o.o I mean I know they are Brinstar, RC, etc. etc., but what makes them so superior to other choices? I think knowing the why behind the decision would help me take advantage of the choices much better.

NNID
Budget_Player
Best stage to take G&W? Brinstar? Delphino?
Final Destination. G&W loses to MK because MK can completely shut him down with good ftilt, utilt, and upB usage. With FD, he has almost no room to mix up, and no hazards to force you into any bad position. Brinstar is actually one of the worst stages to take him to in this matchup. If the matchup is originally 65-35, then on FD, it's closer to 75-25. Preeeetty awful for G&W.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I've never had anyone ragepick Olimar against me before wtf usually it's mk lmao
and wow im late but LOL
Final Destination. G&W loses to MK because MK can completely shut him down with good ftilt, utilt, and upB usage. With FD, he has almost no room to mix up, and no hazards to force you into any bad position. Brinstar is actually one of the worst stages to take him to in this matchup. If the matchup is originally 65-35, then on FD, it's closer to 75-25. Preeeetty awful for G&W.
originally 65/35 on what? >_>

god i hate ratios sometimes T.T

edit:

i prefer taking gaw to a non FD nuetral so people dont bust out that pocket diddy kong or w/e lmao

edit: grump its all very subjective, a lot based on theory craft and character tools, and sometimes a lot of just general experience. just pick someplace you are comfortable and no matter what itll work out lmao

etecoon

Smash Hero
yeah you just have little margin for error if you shield drop, it's possible to tilt or dsmash him but you need to be almost frame perfect. grabbing if you're still close enough or doing an aerial or SL is more relaliable

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
i see. it seems like it has to be perfect cuz if i try to punish it sometimes and i'll either get hit by the 2nd part of the key or the g&w will up+b to safety

etecoon

Smash Hero
random thing I actually just noticed looking through my docs, I forgot I listed the startup for these for reference lol, these are all of your practical OOS options

ftilt OOS(10)
dtilt OOS(10)
dsmash OOS(12)
dash attack OOS(12)
usmash OOS(8)
nair OOS(8)
dair OOS(9)
fair OOS(11)
uair OOS(7)
grab(6)
dash grab(15)
shuttle loop, reverse shuttle loop(8, invincible 5-8)

you can use this thread as a resource to find out most of what is punishable, just plug in numbers. in this case you're looking for a number less than 12

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
thanks. that's extremely helpful

i'm actually not really good at reading frame data. i'm thinking about just making an MK Maximum Punish guide for my reference but i guess for the boards' reference as well

Grump

Smash Apprentice
I too hate GAW's insane upB recovery speed. Makes things a tad difficult :p

I would guess in that situation, you may want to try an OOS SH Uair and delay your "OOS"ness a tad bit. The uair comes out pretty quickly, giving you more in-shield time to protect yourself from the second key hit. The Uair would hopefully catch him on his way up (or chain together several Uair+SHs if you find he rises too fast/soon) so he'll at least be slightly punished?

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
You're just making up numbers. 75-25 on FD? Do you mean 60-40?

Exdeath

Smash Master
After thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that Smashville is Meta Knight's best stage against Game and Watch.

etecoon

Smash Hero
SV is my favorite neutral in general

SV > BF > YI > Lylat > FD would roughly be my preference

idk why I just don't like YI that much, don't think it's an MK thing or that I do badly there just I don't like it lol

Exdeath

Smash Master
Lylat is actually a very good stage for Meta Knight, it's just that it's better for certain other characters (Snake, Olimar, etc. -- characters who aren't sensitive to ledge grabbing, have an auto-snap/tether, etc.). I like taking Peach there in particular because of her sensitive recovery.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
I hate Lylat personally, but tried CPing it against a ZSS for that very recovery reason.

Personally it's SV > BF > FD > Lylat > YI

Top Bottom