• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waytooscruffy

Smash Cadet
Sounds to me like Unity just helps TO's get better turnouts, because if the TO's ban Meta themselves, nobody would show up. Now Unity forces people to get over it, and play anyways if you want to attend a tourney.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
but that's just not true.
for example just yesterday I found a new way to use ROBs bair out of up-b that helps me be safer on shields while approaching.

the only limits you'll find are the ones you set for yourself. brawl is not so simplistic a game that we've already found out everything, don't be so vain...

If I am wrong then I am wrong dude. I just play and watch a lot ( funny I use game and watch lol ). I mean if this helps the community then in the end you guys did a greater good deal. I just do not see it. Will that mean I won't change my mind? Not really I just see it as I see now.

You are right about those limits. I would say though that as a person who loves all games smash that time should tell and that we need to keep bringing this up for further review. I wish this was a temp ban just to see what would happen as opposed to a temp ban.

One thing I notice is that there is a overall tension in this thread. You can attack me say I know nothing but in the end I am trying to offer what opinion I have to the subject.

Waytooscruffy

Smash Cadet
This wont help with Diversity as well as people think.

The same people using mid tiers will use mid tiers. The Meta Knight users will either rage quit, or move to Diddy/Snake/Falco/Marth/IC.

What diversity...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You should at least offer a "Char Agree" Rule imo.
Mutual agreement clause is implied for every element of the game. You can play with Items on High on New Pork City if both players agreed to it, don't see why this suddenly needs to be emphasized for Meta Knight.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Mutual agreement clause is implied for every element of the game. You can play with Items on High on New Pork City if both players agreed to it, don't see why this suddenly needs to be emphasized for Meta Knight.
Well, you can't change rules such as stock count and timer can you?

Otherwise I'm so playing all my sets 33 stock 99 min Bo3.

But yea it should be obvious players can agree that one or both of them can play MK.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, you can't change rules such as stock count and timer can you?

Otherwise I'm so playing all my sets 33 stock 99 min Bo3.

But yea it should be obvious players can agree that one or both of them can play MK.
Okay, true, you can't alter settings to make the game significantly hold up the tournament.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
This wont help with Diversity as well as people think.

The same people using mid tiers will use mid tiers. The Meta Knight users will either rage quit, or move to Diddy/Snake/Falco/Marth/IC.

What diversity...
People who just played one character will spread out to 5+.

DIVERSITY, WHERE DID YOU GO? WHY DID YOU LEAVE US?!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
This is not the case with the Unity Ruleset. And it shouldn't be with ANY ruleset. You can't play a 99 stock match at a tournament just because both people agree to it. The only time anything ever happens is with stages and that is only when the ruleset specifically includes a clause that any stage can be played if agreed to.

M@v

Subarashii!
Alright, hopefully this post doesn't get gobbled up by the speed of the thread...hell who am I kidding xD.

Anyway, I voted in the URC's decision, and voted pro-ban. Here are my main reasons for it:

A. Overcentralization. As we have seen in the past couple years, metaknight's usage has really gotten out of control. The statistics we got from MLG(which is amazing pile out data everyone should check out) is a prime example of this. Also, this applies to rules centralization as well. So many times I've seen rules try to cater to mk, only to be exploited in some other way.

B. The community. Look. I'm a TO. As a TO, its my responsibility to cater to the COMMUNITY I run tournaments for. I feel its my obligation to bring them the best tournament experience I can, and with the rules they want as a whole. The community, as a whole, has shown it is overwhelmingly pro ban in many ways, such has the mk ban poll here, the unofficial mk ban poll on AiB, and the large upsurge of mk banned tournaments around the country. I feel with mk gone, it will make for a more healthy community and give us a brighter future.

As for the optional ban until APEX, I feel this was important due to APEX being an international event, and the need to respect all nation's rules. In addition, Alex strife has put so much work into making the largest tournament in smash history, it would a punch to the gut to take mk away which could have international ramifications.

I also want to state I voted pro ban because I feel it is the best move for the health of the community.

With that out of the way, here's a take on my personal viewpoint of the ban. Mk has been my most used character since the beginning of summer. Even before that I used him for years to cover pika/icies, and mk is my doubles main(check my recent results if you don't believe me).
If anything, the ban is going to hurt me personally as a player since I'll be maining falco now, and pika/icies wont be held back by mks anymore. But once again, I voted for what I feel is the greater good.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
I know this is a separate discussion, but the brawl players posting melee videos of brilliant unorthodox defensive play are kind of missing the point entirely
Well to be fair I put those vids up to show how defensive play is just powerful in Melee as in Brawl. I find it funny how people trash Brawl's OP defensive play, but Melee has the same OP defensive gameplay.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
The hell? Less stages make a lot more matchups more balanced since there's no BS gimmicks that you can abuse with certain characters.
OMG someone who actually understands what theyre talking about. Why can noone understand this? less stage interference means balances things out and lets us concentrate constant strategy and adapting. Instead of some idiotic overcentralizing tech. Why is this so confusing to understand? Did anyone ever try to realize why fighting games attempt to utilize stages that are similar in design?

' People are trying to accommodate MK by banning stages, LGL, etc'

LGL should never existed period. Brinstar and RC are just flat out stupid stages if you seriously look at the mechanics of brawl. Iono why we continue to hold on to these vestigial ideals like our timer and these stages when we KNOW they dont work with brawl mechanics where safe positioning is buffed in terms of strategy due to brawl's lack of combos. In Smash I know we are trying to test x opponent vs y opponent in stage z. It is part of what makes Smash a unique fighter. But when the stages start limiting the situation of x vs y to such a degree would should see theres something wrong. i just dont know how we can in the modern era of smash where we have more info on our global scenes than ever before, that we choose to neglect what their data shows. People want to babble about fun? How many of us have watched freakin the Messiah Combo video, or European Matches?

I just dont understand how these decision was made without little thought and analysis of the data given, by this small group that SWEARS up and down that they put in all this crazy effort. They know thats simply not true and they continue to parade around as if thats the case. I guess it doesnt matter anymore; whats done is done. Im just extremely disappointed in how this was handled. Even is its what the majority wants, everything shouldve been put out on the table in a proper fashion.

I do concur though the American metagame will probably for awhile be alot more exciting to watch than it is currently. Unfortunately there were far better ways to get to that ideal point imo.

M@v

Subarashii!
M@v, out of curiosity, how many tournaments have you won?
I have never won a singles tournament, but I have placed 2nd multiple times. I have won 2 doubles tournaments though. I think I know where your going with it, and before you ask, I've only ever lost to mk in one of the grand finals sets I was in, and that was my first ever grand finals back in '08.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
OMG someone who actually understands what theyre talking about. Why can noone understand this? less stage interference means balances things out and lets us concentrate constant strategy and adapting. Instead of some idiotic overcentralizing tech. Why is this so confusing to understand? Did anyone ever try to realize why fighting games attempt to utilize stages that are similar in design?
While I agree with this, I wouldn't say RC or Brinstar fall under this.

It would apply to Mario Bros, and maybe Skyworld? I dunno.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
PROTIP: If you do not host MK banned tournaments locally, your entire state is going to get ****ed over if they attend some regional hosted with the Unity Ruleset, due to lack of practice in the new metagame.

Better to practice up for the big scene, imho...

My two cents...

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
PROTIP: If you do not host MK banned tournaments locally, your entire state is going to get ****ed over if they attend some regional hosted with the Unity Ruleset, due to lack of practice in the new metagame.

Better to practice up for the big scene, imho...

My two cents...
Its the oppisite.

You're ****ed if you just play MK banned and go into an MK allowed one.

My three cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom