• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Match-Up Chart (NTSC) [Update 008 - 09.09.28]

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I don't think it's so much that the ICs are poor characters but rather that there aren't many good IC players left. Chu isn't very active anymore?(isn't he?)? Wobbles didn't go to genesis, and then there's..........Who? If there is a good player to use them in tourney, I'm sure the ICs will do better again.
Wobbles and Fly both place pretty consistently in wc tourneys. Considering how few ICs there are in the country, two or three that can compete at top level isn't a bad number.

Savingforever: The things you mention are strange, because ICs deal with them a lot better than some other characters.

SDC

Smash Lord
trail is the best ICs in the MW, hes really good, but he doesn't ever place well.
Wobbles and Fly both place pretty consistently in wc tourneys.
What major tournaments have they gone to recently? And if/when they've gone, how did they do?

Considering how few ICs there are in the country, two or three that can compete at top level isn't a bad number.
I agree, I haven't seen many ICs of late, much less good ones. Haven't seen many recent wobbles/chu vids, and never heard of those other two guys lol. I'd like to see the ICs do well again in tourney: fun character to watch/play, adds a little variety at the tourney scene. There aren't really any ICs locally in MN :(

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
In today's metagame, ICs aren't really able to win big tournaments, but they're still decent enough to win smaller ones. Which is why they should be middle tier. You can't even begin to compare Falcon / Peach / Puff to ICs; the differences are glaringly obvious.

Savingforever

Smash Cadet
yea chu's matchs at herb 2 were really good. I think he came close to placing top... 5th?? and he was playin alot of really high level players.... but then again, it goes back to the idea that we cant just go on tournament placing right...

Also Kyu_Puff alot of stuff that i say is strange.. lol
i dont always know what im talkin about, thats why i really dont post that much, i just read mostly. :) Sorry

SDC

Smash Lord
thx chivalruse, good to see chu's still got it.

I'd like to see an IC do well at pound 4, it'd be good to get some variety in major tournament results; which is why I was so happy to see the results at genesis. Multiple peaches and jigglypuffs in the top ten? Awesome :)

idea

Smash Master
agreed.

and i don't think the sheik knew that matchup very well. either that or they weren't taking the bowser seriously. pretty sure more grab and less committing to aerials would have made it a lot less close...and hopefully a lot less than 6 minutes =P

anyway, still impressive for a bowser to take a match off a sheik if neither of them suck, no matter how you do it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i'm annoyed that people are bringing tournament placings into the match-up chart thread
wtf smashboards...

pockyD

Smash Legend
it's just camp your shield or the edge, hope they get impatient and mess up so you can get your 1hit punish in

it's slightly worse than barlw

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
i'm annoyed that people are bringing tournament placings into the match-up chart thread
wtf smashboards...
this. bloody this.
it's just camp your shield or the edge, hope they get impatient and mess up so you can get your 1hit punish in

it's slightly worse than barlw
you're just racist against heavies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
melee bowser's right/left b grabs the opponent, STARTS CHEWING ON THEIR FACE, then hurls them behind his back over his shoulder.

brawl bowser he just kinda sits on them.

yeah
He jumps and does a flying slam with them UNDER HIS BELLY. Brawl bowser has a cooler side-b

No way. I'd take Melee Bowser over Brawl any day.

No, Melee Bowser is bottom tier, Brawl Bowser has a solid defensive game, but his main issue is that he's forced to approach too often. Speaking of which, he's underrated because Brawl projectiles are overrated, they leave dead zones the size of a dump truck.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
No, Melee Bowser is bottom tier, Brawl Bowser has a solid defensive game, but his main issue is that he's forced to approach too often. Speaking of which, he's underrated because Brawl projectiles are overrated, they leave dead zones the size of a dump truck.
I didn't say I'd take Melee Bowser over Brawl Bowser, I said I'd take Melee Bowser over BRAWL. As in, the whole disappointment.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yes but that's what determines character potential in the first place. Without people to rep their character then how can you tell about potential?
yeah but this thread isn't about potential, it's about match-ups. IC's match-ups aren't worse because there are few IC players; they're still the Ice Climbers and the game doesn't change. True, without players to advance a character's metagame, match-ups could potentially be rated lower than they actually care (though we wouldn't know), but most characters have had their metagame advanced to a reasonable "limit," by now, for lack of a better word for it. Things are still being found out about characters, but those are few and far between.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
most characters have had their metagame advanced to a reasonable "limit," by now, for lack of a better word for it. Things are still being found out about characters, but those are few and far between.
This doesn't even matter because the chart is based on the current metagame and what people currently know and put in practice, not the future metagame.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Strong_Bad, you could say a character's top-metagame is directly proportionate to the highest level player that plays that character.

Tournament results are a major part of this list.

SDC

Smash Lord
Strong_Bad, you could say a character's top-metagame is directly proportionate to the highest level player that plays that character.

Tournament results are a major part of this list.
Well, you can't really say that, because then you'd have to put jigglypuff at the top of the top tier lol. And I know alot of people don't want to do that XD

idea

Smash Master
=D =D cool. one of my favourite bands. demon days is especially good...but i think some of its songs could have been replaced by the best ones on d-sides.

i'm actually not sure whose puff is better, now that i think of it. they play so differently. and mango's puff does things that are kind of bad for jiggs to do but wins anyway =P hard to separate it from his skill overall. meh. such a complicated game.

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
Mango's Puff isn't #1. His falco is miles ahead.
Nah, I don't know what would make you thinik that, Genesis was clear proof that his Puff is better than his Falco.

And the chart says that Peach has the advantage against Pikachu, but shouldn't they at very least be even since the best Pikachu(Chu Dat) beats(in america) the best Peach(Cort)?

idea

Smash Master
Nah, I don't know what would make you thinik that, Genesis was clear proof that his Puff is better than his Falco.

And the chart says that Peach has the advantage against Pikachu, but shouldn't they at very least be even since the best Pikachu(Chu Dat) beats(in america) the best Peach(Cort)?
yeah, this is what strong bad was bothered by before. one pikachu, a guy who hardly ever plays the character, vs. definitely not the best peach (and who knows, armada could have been better even when cort was considered one of the best) is not representative of anything.

Top Bottom