• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Match Casting

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
well poop, that pretty much kills the big reason why I wanted to do pp vs armada WF.

as for the lack of humor and enthusiasm, I think things like that will just come with time. I said some funny things near the end of the first video when I started to get the feel of it, but then had to go do irl stuff and didn't have the chance to cast more games.

This is a new experience for me, but I think with more experience, and possibly a co-caster to bounce ideas and opinions with, I'll be able better deliver. Taj and V3ctorman have both expressed interest in doing dual casts with me.

I definitely appreciate your thoughts on this, though!

Mokumo

Smash Ace
i would love to see casts by the greatest analytical players. mew2king and drPP come to mind immediately. But I'm super excited to see some commentaries by hugs, eggm or any other notable players. dual casts would be amazing too

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Hey, I'm becoming notable. =[ I'm not just some random az scrub anymore lol.

I know what you mean though. I'd love to use them as a good template as for what to do, and what to avoid.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I think we need something like Day9's daily casts. By that I mean a cast everyday, with one or two days being "noob" days where a match between two low-mid level players is casted.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I think we need something like Day9's daily casts. By that I mean a cast everyday, with one or two days being "noob" days where a match between two low-mid level players is casted.
I was planning on doing something similar to this. I don't think I have the resources required to do it nearly as clean and professionally as he does, however.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Not thinking you're a scrub was your first mistake. ;)
I used to think I was bad, but then too many good players said I wasn't, lol.

Kinda hard to be pessimistic about one's skill when people much better than you keep saying you're good lol.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I used to think I was bad, but then too many good players said I wasn't, lol.

Kinda hard to be pessimistic about one's skill when people much better than you keep saying you're good lol.
You know I'm jkkkkkkkk. <3

But really. Everyone's a scrub. lololol

ILM

Smash Journeyman
Except for Cactuar. I heard it from the rumor mill that he trained Armada.

In all seriousness though Cactuar's Marth too good.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
cactuar would be on the list of people that should do some casts too. sorry for not including you rubyiris, although you are definitely pioneering this so far because i'm pretty sure you're the only one that's casted something so far. i really want to cast something too but, i mean, if you're too scrubby then i definitely am =(

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
lol, ruby is completely capable of doing this, he has plenty of smash insight, he just needs maybe a 2nd person for the entertainment side, or he can just be a little spunkier. either way don't stop rubez.

Shroomed

Smash Master
i never know what im thinking when i play

the music drowns it all out

i can't wait to **** you up hugo, we need to play again

im super salty atm

HugS™

Smash Lord
i never know what im thinking when i play

the music drowns it all out

i can't wait to **** you up hugo, we need to play again

im super salty atm
LOL how do you think I felt after our first set?

Well that salt is gonna need to sting for a little longer,

I'm on a self-imposed break right now, and Socal ain't playing much at the moment either.

Shroomed

Smash Master
so ur gonna ****in win and hide!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

**** that bull **** hugo i want a ****in rematch *****!!!!!!!!!!

****!!!!

boredsmash

Smash Rookie
Self commentary is awesome, but so is "live" commentary of older matches that were unspoiled for potential commentators we should look into how we could start posting videos in an antispoiler format like teamliquid does to accomplish this I think it could really help the community. I might try a few self commentaries maybe on my set vses lambchops cause even tho DJ nintendo did a great job he said a few things that i was "thinking" that I really wasn't during the set.

Edit : Yeah what kage said.. I would be willing to do it but don't really know how. Some one should write a guide. :)

Edit 2 : Guys for those of you who don't know what i'm talking about check out this link

http://www.teamliquid.net/vods/

If we had some type of system like this not only would it great for potential casters to be able to commentate unspoiled which would get those awesome live reactions, but it would be great for just us regular fans who view tournament videos regularly. Like I like to watch tournaments in cali and stuff but I usually know who won right away cause i'm clicking the links in a video thread that say gf's wf's so i know that when i'm watching quarters who must have won its still awesome but not as exciting as if they were displayed in a non spoiler format like that.

Note that when you click on the next set in the match you can't tell how many potential sets there are going to be, because of how it is setup we should have something like that and also note how the files for those matches are downloadable right to the right of it. That would be so awesome for potential commentators and just for overall fans of watching smash to be able to watch the matches of a tournament in that anti spoiler format right on smashboards.
change ur damn avatar

roosterrat

Smash Cadet
I would listen/watch them whenever I had free time. And even my friends who don't take smash seriously like watching good, exciting videos, and even more if they have commentary.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
V3ctorman and TaJ will be co-casting with me in the near-future.

*Edit:*

http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=200048

Feel free to respond in that thread as well. I'm already getting some great feedback just a few hours into posting.

I'm going to highlight a key focal point of discussion:

The pausing aspect is something that I'm going to have difficulties with. It's incredibly difficult to explain things whilst keeping pace with the action without pausing to finish a thought, or rewinding. It's very easy to talk about one thing, and have the match already be on a completely different page than what you're talking about and it just becomes this huge cluster**** of mixed signals and information that's difficult to decipher without prior knowledge of competitive play, or experience with the SSB franchise.
What are some potential remedies to this issue?

Also for those interested; This is how I'm creating my videos:

I use an existing smash video, or download a youtube video with keepvid and use WMP, recording the window with Fraps 3.2.7 Retail, and record audio using my laptop's built-in mic. I then render the split up 9-minute avis that Fraps produces with Pinnacle Studio 14 or Power Director 8 into a more manageable file format, such as Mpeg2 and upload to Youtube.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
For the pause and replay problem, you could try casting the videos in slow motion so as to have time to say everything you need to say (then you could restore it to regular running speed in parts that don't require as much of an explanation). That might be a horrible idea though. :ohwell:

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Edit: Gonna hold out on giving my opinion and such.

The pauses are looking like a no-go for targetting casual audiences though.

HugS™

Smash Lord
I haven't seen it yet, I'll check it out when i get home. But please re-do it if you think it's that's bad :)

I don't like it when videos of me aren't given their proper justice :/
LOL, I'm unpopular enough on youtube as it is.

Not gonna lie though, I alwayd do myself justice when I'm playing live.

I've said it before, I'm like a bad paperview draw, where viewership goes down when I'm on the fighting card, but I ALWAYS give the live crowd a good show, at least through the tension of a live match, not so much through flashy play.

Much appreciated 3.

Pi

Smash Hero
no go on pauses? aight

i think i'll try to talk faster and cover everything in the video or something

are we going for more for educational? or do we jsut want informational based hype commentary?

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I think that what you guys have demonstrated so far is something I'd catagorize differently. Something like... Play by Play Analysis... w/e. It definitely has it's place, and I would certainly appreciate an effort into pursuing that kind of video documentation of our metagame.

When I think Match Casting though, especially with the idea that it would be similar to what SC casts are, I think more like... the hype of live commentary but slightly more informative given our knowledge of what happens in the match and time to prepare for the cast. In SC, they have a significantly greater amount of time to convey their ideas and really outline what is happening. In smash, there is a constant stream of tiny actions that could be explained, when really, to keep us entertained, we just need basic strategy outlined and some kind of hype behind it.

The pauses definitely work for Analysis. Just keep in mind what you want to accomplish. There is no reason not to redefine what kind of vids you are publishing if you really like doing the play by plays.

HugS™

Smash Lord
no go on pauses? aight

i think i'll try to talk faster and cover everything in the video or something

are we going for more for educational? or do we jsut want informational based hype commentary?
The purpose should be to present matches to a broader audience of viewers so that they may be more inclined to support our community in various ways.

The purpose of these casts should NOT solely be to educate nor entertain.

If we plan to attract a broader audience, we must meet broader needs. So try to have an element of everything in your casts, with a slight focus in education, hype, humor, OR whatever you are most comfortable with in fulfilling our purpose.

I'm putting this in the first post.

Pi

Smash Hero
Uploading another version of the same match, no pausing in this one (also I put music in the BG, it's quiet but what do you think about it?)

i feel like this would be constituted as play by play more than anything, so if that's not the direction we're trying to head in let me know, cactuar mentioned

the hype of live commentary but slightly more informative given our knowledge of what happens in the match and time to prepare for the cast.
so should we watch through the video a couple times kinda commit most of it to memory and try to give insight of decisions the players make as they're making them, kinda lead up to it?

we just need basic strategy outlined and some kind of hype behind it.
hmmm, like give an overview of the basic strategy each player is attempting to employ in this particular match? or how they're trying to approach, maybe what they're looking for?

here's version 2

edit nvm upload failed i'll get it up laater smash time

Sliq

Smash Master
I think that what you guys have demonstrated so far is something I'd catagorize differently. Something like... Play by Play Analysis... w/e. It definitely has it's place, and I would certainly appreciate an effort into pursuing that kind of video documentation of our metagame.

When I think Match Casting though, especially with the idea that it would be similar to what SC casts are, I think more like... the hype of live commentary but slightly more informative given our knowledge of what happens in the match and time to prepare for the cast. In SC, they have a significantly greater amount of time to convey their ideas and really outline what is happening. In smash, there is a constant stream of tiny actions that could be explained, when really, to keep us entertained, we just need basic strategy outlined and some kind of hype behind it.

The pauses definitely work for Analysis. Just keep in mind what you want to accomplish. There is no reason not to redefine what kind of vids you are publishing if you really like doing the play by plays.
Hey Cactuar, remember that time you beat me a lot? You're good, lol.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Just for the future, when casting a match, focus less on what the players are doing, and more on why they are doing those things.

Signia

Smash Lord
Make sure you don't read or rehearse what you're going to say, unless you're really enthusiastic, or else it'll sound as bad as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTHMZSEmWjs&feature=related in this video you can totally tell a script is being read and it sounds terrible.

Husky the SC2 caster doesn't even watch the videos first before he begins casting, and the match is rarely paused. Recently he's been going back to key points in the match after it ends, though. Because of this, his excitement sounds genuine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqgJL3RPTY&feature=feedu (Day9 here too)

Just be overly enthusiastic and it won't sound weird at all just listen how silly Husky and Day9 behave. It shouldn't sound the same as a casual conversation.

Of course if you're not going for entertainment value and instead are doing in-depth analyses, obviously it's better to look over the match first.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP3VjCHcGrs&t=6m40s

I think this sort of thing has to stop. The OOOOOOO OOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOO.. . . . its fine from the crowd, but not from the commentary. I dunno, that's just me.

That and the use of the word "****".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/us/09assault.html?_r=2

It's not a joke
I suppose you object to any uses of the word "kill" as well, right? Like "oh he killed him there" or "he needs to edgeguard to get the kill". After all, killing is no joke either.

Top Bottom