• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee in 2009: Year in Review

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well a good example would be Ally, even if he's the champion of Brawl when he tries melee, I know he knows what to do but it's a completely different game so he gets owned. The way it's played and reaction time needed for melee is much greater.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Well a good example would be Ally, even if he's the champion of Brawl when he tries melee, I know he knows what to do but it's a completely different game so he gets owned. The way it's played and reaction time needed for melee is much greater.
noooo I dont know what to do vs Characters nor know what % combos may happen, so in fact, I know basic stuff of this game, nothing else. + M2K showed me HOW gay this game is when you can get CG to death sooooo gay. NAME SEARCH

studly

Smash Ace
Brawl and Melee are different games. It's like playing Soccer in hopes of being a Major League Pitcher. Playing Brawl will get you no where.
i dont think thats true at all. brawl coming out is what got me into melee. it taught me a lot of spacing concepts that def carry over to melee.

granted. its no where close to the same game. and after you get melee basics down you shouldnt really be going back to brawl all that much if getting good at melee is your goal

Don't play Falcon vs Sheik, it's ******** at top level lol.
Got an example of this?

i dont think thats true at all. brawl coming out is what got me into melee. it taught me a lot of spacing concepts that def carry over to melee.

granted. its no where close to the same game. and after you get melee basics down you shouldnt really be going back to brawl all that much if getting good at melee is your goal
That original description was really good. All 3 are extremely different. I think the only thing you can really pick up from one and go to the other is the extreme basic principles of smash. The ability to DI, space, kill, edgeguarding, etc. Apart from that, all the information is entirely different due to hitstun and the buffer system.

Kisses

Smash Cadet
Got an example of this?

That original description was really good. All 3 are extremely different. I think the only thing you can really pick up from one and go to the other is the extreme basic principles of smash. The ability to DI, space, kill, edgeguarding, etc. Apart from that, all the information is entirely different due to hitstun and the buffer system.
its sheik vs falcon do you really need an example?

edit: I went ahead and got one anyways: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vphTto5RzLc

studly

Smash Ace
Got an example of this?

agreed!! but like i said. it jump started my desire to play melee. so if they started out in brawl, theyd always be able to go up a step

skrach8

Smash Lord
ehh that example was not that great. Darkrain clearly missed some key combos and his edgegaurding was sloppy, had he got any of those, things might have been different. yeah its not great for falcon, but its very doable.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
lol wut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM5INAx5daY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8EaoeRKvdw

At least you can DI out of the Melee CGs. I can't be any gayer than these, Ally.
What about Doc vs Falcon UP throw CG? I was DI'ing last time I checked and M2K CG'ed me to death unless I'm saying stuff, he even told me himself 'No one even uses it at all I don't know why but it's cheap'

and yeah that's prob the gayest thing IN the game so w-e lol + they're easy to seperate so in the end, it's not really gay, ICS in brawl sucks without the other one.

Pi

Smash Hero
doc has some pretty bad CG's on falcon
of course the IC's have their CG's as well
marth has his infamous chaingrabs which turn into combo's after like 25% though
shiek & ganon
ganon vs roy
sheik vs like every low teir
pikachu/pichu? vs spacies

a lot of these are pretty devestating, but not all stages are FD, so problem solved.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
What about Doc vs Falcon UP throw CG? I was DI'ing last time I checked and M2K CG'ed me to death unless I'm saying stuff, he even told me himself 'No one even uses it at all I don't know why but it's cheap'

and yeah that's prob the gayest thing IN the game so w-e lol + they're easy to seperate so in the end, it's not really gay, ICS in brawl sucks without the other one.
pick a stage with platforms

Kite91

Mada Mada Dane
Melee is more competitive, and brawl is just a party game, you really need to fast reflexes to to react to stuff in brawl, melee depending on the oppenent the player needs to be decently good with L canceling and wavedashing. If you play brawl and hope to become good at melee then theres something wrong

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Lolnewb

Play Brawl more and you'll realize how wrong you are. Better yet, be like MaNg0 and rather chops your hands off instead.
Play internet better and you'll realize how childish you sound. Better yet, be like you and go off on a grammar tangent at about this point in the sentence.

EDIT - How about we all let bygones be such, and respect each others game while knowing in our hearts our game is better melee.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
Lolnewb

Play Brawl more and you'll realize how wrong you are. Better yet, be like MaNg0 and rather chops your hands off instead.
I think that the quote you quoted was towards me, and he is right. Brawl is a totally different game, the most noticeable thing is how effing slow it is compared to melee, i think you are the noob for saying that, go back to the brawl discussion please :)

To continue the comparison, Melee is calculus, Brawl is third grade math.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
lol im a marth main, and i did my first shdf and ken combo in brawl (when i just started getting into melee, i played brawl first) and my opponents were nubs. i got the faster versions down days later...

thats about all brawl has helped lul

Jun.

Smash Lord
they should have given marth a sht(riple)f in brawl. double is so easy and requires no skill really. I think spamming it works in that game.

Kite91

Mada Mada Dane
Thought id start posting in diff threads

Apex is only a few months away guys, May 30th is the last day to register before the price is raised, so come on and register. Right now only about 17 ppl have registered. http://apex.vgbootcamp.com/
Im trying to help out Strife by doing this.

rifall

Smash Cadet
UBIC Melee 7

Too bad UBIC Melee 7 will definitely not be on the most hype list for Year 2010. Awe well, still one of the best venues in Socal. I went to a stab by a hippie tourny in 09 and it was so darn crowded. Lolz.

Other than that, I still watch Genesis rounds over and over taking inspiration from Armada and Mango (more Mango than Armada). I just wish I could have seen it first hand. Mango be-eth my hero.

Reading about all this only puts my confidence more into the hype that Melee gets. Brawl can Get out when it comes to competitive gaming. My friends only like Brawl because they actually have a chance of beating me. Only Will has a chance of beating me in Melee, especially since he met and played the pros at UBIC Melee 7. Now I have someone fun to play against.

Thanks for this thread.

Long Live Melee. May Project M live up to the hype.

rifall

Smash Cadet
Brawl is a game where everyone camps and Melee is a game where everyone spams combo starters.
Go ahead, spam a combo starter, it doesn't guarantee a combo thanks to a lovely factor called DI. Though, I play Jigglypuff, I don't get an uthrow > rest every time, because people keep holding left or right and they get out of it. And I don't always successfully follow up with a pound or uair.

Melee is a lot harder to learn than Brawl. Brawl is good for a party game. And brawl matches are often boring. If you spam a move so that your opponent can't space right to hit you, then spamming wins. Doesn't take long to learn a good spam.

In other words, I hate Pit, and i hate MK. But my friend Opal likes Brawl because he can spam pit and beat me like that. So I have to go Ness and Lucas on his ***.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Brawl is a game where everyone camps and Melee is a game where everyone spams combo starters.
I think you have Melee confused with Smash64.

Combine the camping and the combos + some more, then you have Melee :D

Top Bottom