• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melbourne Brawl | STIGMA-B for 2010 yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
5 extra dollars? I dunno I guess it makes sense, but like you said I wouldn't want to be the one asking for it.
But on the flipside it should make the tourny more competitive.
I don't mind either way.

Also Pokemanz, its awesome. XD

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
the only people who would complain about the price rise are those who it wouldnt be worth having anyway. if the entry fee was 20 bucks id still come, cause i just wanna play competitive smash.

low tier ftw :D

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
See I can see why $5 increase could be perceived as bad.

But it's very reasonable that someone pays $5 to enter the venue; the venue costs money, and it's a tournament: prizes are expected.

In general, it's always been the VENUE FEE which has been waived to those who bring full set ups (tvs/wiis/etc). This gives an incentive for people to bring the full set ups, whilst still allowing a reasonable prize to the tournament winners.

It's not to say that those people aren't "worthwhile" it's just how they perceive where the money would be going.
The money they'd pay, if there was any more than what the venue would cost would go directly back to them in any form Jei could perceive. It's not going into the pockets of people good at brawl, but back to you to help sustain a healthy scene.

by the way, I won't bea ble to make it this tournament after all.
$80 went to $170 over night :(

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the system of a $2.50-$5.00 increase for entry into the tourny ($2.50 increase for both Singles and Doubles = $5 increase) And then a standard venue fee of $5. TV bringers getting the entry fee free, to ensure at least the venue is paid for.

Devil.

Smash Journeyman
As it stands the money being paid is covering the venue cost each month

An increase in price is likely to lower numbers, the only ones its going to benefit are those 2-3 people that are actually winning tournaments.

It isn't going to make the scene any more competitive because people are already trying to win for mere bragging rights and the idea that a slightly increased pot would change tournament results is ********.

Personally I think Prizes are for majors anyway.

You guys can do whatever the hell you want though lol.

earla

Smash Lord
I agree with the system of a $2.50-$5.00 increase for entry into the tourny ($2.50 increase for both Singles and Doubles = $5 increase) And then a standard venue fee of $5. TV bringers getting the entry fee free, to ensure at least the venue is paid for.
sounds good.

Toshi

Smash Journeyman

An increase in price is likely to lower numbers, the only ones its going to benefit are those 2-3 people that are actually winning tournaments.

It isn't going to make the scene any more competitive because people are already trying to win for mere bragging rights and the idea that a slightly increased pot would change tournament results is ********.

This man. Listen to him.

Browny

Smash Hater
what lol?

increasing the pot will make people change their mains. i think its pretty obvious when you look at the last stigma results with no pot, and compare it to the month after. like 4x as many MK',s G&W etc

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
what lol?

increasing the pot will make people change their mains. i think its pretty obvious when you look at the last stigma results with no pot, and compare it to the month after. like 4x as many MK',s G&W etc

Actually I'm pretty sure that change had nothing to do with people's want for money and rather the desire to just place better.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Toshi, Devil and DJ are doing it right.
Saying we aren't competitive is stupid, everyone goes down there and plays hard. The only difference is that instead of everyone being Snake/MK/Pit/Diddy, we have diversity. In a sense this leads to a stronger metagame with many different views and ideas from different chars. We're competitive but we're not generic competitive players.And Attila saying that "people who are against it aren't worth it anyway", everyone who attends the venue, will pay, therefore everyone is allowed to have an equal opinion on it.

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
TBH, I think most people who don't want to pay more don't fancy their chances of winning the pot, and thus, don't want the price to go up. I find that completely understandable. I mean, one glance at RANBATS should be a good enough indicator as to whether you stand a chance of getting that prize money, I mean, we all do, but being realistic here. With that said, I still would like an increase, but I can see why people don't want it any higher, and doubt whether we WILL get people to pay more, especially since they haven't had to in the past.

Browny

Smash Hater
Actually I'm pretty sure that change had nothing to do with people's want for money and rather the desire to just place better.
No Pot:

1 (Pit) 2 (Snake) 3 (Pit) 4 (Marth) 5 (Falco/Zelda) 5 (Meta Knight) 7 (Peach) 7 (Olimar/Snake)
1 (Diddy Kong) 2 (Sonic) 3 (Pit) 4 (Peach) 5 (Diddy Kong) 5 (Snake) 7 (Meta Knight) 7 (Link/Snake)
1 (Diddy Kong) 2 (Meta Knight) 3 (Snake) 4 (Marth) 5 (Lucario) 5 (Meta Knight) 7 (Mr. Game & Watch/Marth) 7 (Fox)

Pot:

1 [Snake] 2 [Metaknight/Dedede/Diddy Kong/Every other fcking character] 3 [Pit/Fox]
4 [ Metaknight] 5 [Mr. Game & Watch] 5 [Metaknight] 7 [Metaknight/Diddy Kong/ Dedede] 7 [Mr. Game & Watch]

You dont think that was a mere coincidence do you? Did people suddenly all decide they wanted to place better at the same time? I mean hell Adelaide has quite a varied character choice for normal tourneys. when it came to reloaded, it was like 1 (Snake) 2 (Snake) 3 (Fox) 4 (MK) 5 (G&W) 5 (MK) 7(Falco) 7 (DDD). Big prizes do that...

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
Pot:

1 [Snake] 2 [Metaknight/Dedede/Diddy Kong/Every other fcking character] 3 [Pit/Fox]
4 [ Metaknight] 5 [Mr. Game & Watch] 5 [Metaknight] 7 [Metaknight/Diddy Kong/ Dedede] 7 [Mr. Game & Watch]
Umm... I thought there was no bigger pot last time to my memory...

Vermy

Smash Champion
DJ, those tourney results had nothing to do with a pot. You didn't take into account that the best from every state came down. Of course they'd clean up.
Your point is moot.

I don't give a rats arse if there's a bigger pot or not, I'm going in, playing my hardest and staying a PT main. I'm sure most of Melbourne feels the same way.

And Devil, couldn't have put it better myself. We don't need a bigger pot, if anything people will say "nah I can't afford it this month."

5 dollars venue fee
5 for singles
2.50 each for doubles
Roughly 10 for food and drink through the day
Plus public transport/petrol
I think its fair to say just under $30 for the average person.

A lot of the attendees are still in highschool. Not every high school student has an income. These factors need to be taken into account.

I say let the masses speak for themselves. Have a poll starting AFTER this Stigma-B and have it run till the next.

Attila_

BRoomer
No Pot:

1 (Pit) 2 (Snake) 3 (Pit) 4 (Marth) 5 (Falco/Zelda) 5 (Meta Knight) 7 (Peach) 7 (Olimar/Snake)
1 (Diddy Kong) 2 (Sonic) 3 (Pit) 4 (Peach) 5 (Diddy Kong) 5 (Snake) 7 (Meta Knight) 7 (Link/Snake)
1 (Diddy Kong) 2 (Meta Knight) 3 (Snake) 4 (Marth) 5 (Lucario) 5 (Meta Knight) 7 (Mr. Game & Watch/Marth) 7 (Fox)

Pot:

this made me actually lol. to be honest, i didnt even notice i happened, but its pretty clear that the pot made this more competitive. although the prize was about the same its always been.

@nix: thats a rather nasty misquote and misrepresentation. if people dont wanna pay a couple of extra dollars for a tourny it probably means theyre not fussed whether they play or not, and personally i dont take stigmaB lightly. and i dont really wanna play people who do. and i never said the word opinion, either, you made that up yourself.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Lol woops I misinterpreted that then. I was assuming you were coming along the thought of people don't want to pay extra if they aren't winning anyway, and thus since they aren't winning their opinion is null. Sorry dude.
Seriously everyone who is a regular will come pot or not, and they will be competitive pot or not, we come to STIGMA to be competitive. I agree with Vermy we should make the decision after the next STIGMA we can't change this 3 days before the tourny some people won't even check the boards and might only bring enough for just $5 entry.

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
Woo! Sunday! Brawl! Melty! Pokemon! JUS! Etc!

Furthermore, all of Crews is up on Youtube - go watch if you haven't already.

New laptop, so theoretically I should be able to record two tvs/one for melty, one for recording.

Car back today! Yay. Debt. **** = dam n. -__-

And thanks to Cao's/My, EdgeGames and Tibz's vouchers from the Bendigo tournament; we managed to get 2 good sized TV's to bring down, and I'll be bringing my own, so we'll have 3 Tv's coming from Bendigo. Hopefully that'll help speed things along.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Ok i just had a look at the last placings and those players that scored high have always used those chars, they didnt change there mains to score high, they just played better.

when i first joined the smash scene i was expecting something like a $15 entry fee, cos that is usually what other games charge for entry to tournaments. imo its not all about giving the best 3 placing more money, its about making the prizes more appealing and making the scene more top quality.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
New laptop, so theoretically I should be able to record two tvs/one for melty, one for recording.
<3

And thanks to Cao's/My, EdgeGames and Tibz's vouchers from the Bendigo tournament; we managed to get 2 good sized TV's to bring down, and I'll be bringing my own, so we'll have 3 Tv's coming from Bendigo. Hopefully that'll help speed things along.
More <3 !!!

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
mmm we should put up a list to whos bringing what tomorrow...

So far its

Leisha: wii+brawl
Conor: wii+brawl
Tanman: 3 TV's
Vermy/Ugly: 3 Tv's, 2 wii's, 6 point powerboard, extension cable.
Ledge: Wii, 4 point power cable
Attila: wii, tv, laptop, capture card

Attila_

BRoomer
i shall bring my ds and pokemons, wii, tv, laptop and capture card. although i cant seem to get my capture card working, so hopefully someone who knows something about computers will be able to help us out there...

_X_

Smash Lord
So your plan is to get smashed on saturday, show up with a hangover on sunday and get smashed in the tourney while playing smash? =P

Edit: Just realised that this post was like 2 pages ago... I am way too tired... =/
Thats how we've played every other tournament why should this one be any differnt?
Devil is right. I can't remember ANY Stigma set what we've not rocked up to pretty or REALLY hung over.

Same with the Ranbats.

Why should anyone dissagree with this?

@Shaya the Venue fee WOULD have been a good idea at the start. As it stands I'm not sure the chage would ensure us numbers.

I'm ploting of an actual advertising scheme with Flyers (I'll have to talk to Vermy >_> ;) ). Even though it'll mostly be bringing the younger crowd we'll have plenty of cash flow to increase pots or whatever.

See you all tomorrow.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Aiight I'm still car-less so I will be catching a train in, should be there by 8.30am and set up the venue by about 9.00-9.30am.
If people have already arrived before me, feel free to start setting up lol.
Unfortunately I won't be able to bring my TV this time but I'm still bringing my wii and cables..

One thing I need to stress, please label your sh*t. Ugly lost his controller last month and I believe there were a few other losses also. I hate to see that, so please take care of your belongings.

See you guys tomorrow <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom