• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you have to actually request to join the MBR group first. he doesn't have the M icon yet.
one truth prevails, Sveet!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
He could easily hide his icon. When he said he was accepted after i told him to join the group, i assume the last issue is to simply identify yourself with the group.

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
Is there secret cabinet poker-touney's in the backroom? And is there somekind of a welcome gift that we get if we get there? You know, like a prostitute waiting in the door and so on... If so, then I'm in :D

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Smashboards Username: _Rocky_
Region: 611, sweden
Primary Character(s): falcon
Secondary Character(s): fox

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. 2 years, started summer 2009

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. i attend every tournament i can in sweden and ive went ooc for tourneys and some smashfests as well. i think i can be considered to be a pretty known face in some european countries (sweden/holland come to mind mostly)

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. i'm a spammy n00b but i still win sometimes
guess im average

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. definitely not lol, reason being that aniolas is in the mbr

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A. i hate discussions and will never lead one. i will sometimes give my 2 cents if im requested to

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. im not a tourney organizer but i contribute to the community in sweden by being hilariously obnoxious

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A. i guess it is, but falcon/peach/marth should be tied i think. tiers don't matter much in general i think, its more about matchups if anything.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A. i think counterpick stages are superfluous as no character has issues winning on the neutrals and the counterpicks either make certain characters dominant (rainbow cruise), change the game flow (brinstar) or are very easy to camp on (kongo jungle)

thats my european bias speaking as well

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. i think it's fair but all sets except for pools should be best of 5 to reward players with more endurance and ability to adapt over longer periods. everything else is legit because that's how i've been playing in all tourneys and i can't really see any ways

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. both come together. to execute whatever game plan you have you need to have the necessary tech skill for it. strategy wins games, tech skill is fundamental for the strategy to work.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. generally first hits as a player that more consistently lands mere 40% combos than the other (who often 0-deaths but has a hard time getting the first hit) is more consistent overall

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. i think that ssbm will stay around for as long as people want to play it, looking at games like sf2 which is still played competitively i can definitely say that melee's "uniqueness" will play a big part in its longevity

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. a more n00b friendly general mentality would never hurt. from what i've heard about the US (smash clubs @ unis, cooperation with other fighting game communities, etc), north america has a good idea of what to do

flyers/posters are also very viable

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. perhaps it could be more "open" and giving out more information about the ongoings than currently

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. no idea but i want a purple name

shoot

chaddd

Smash Lord
Lol... who would join primarily for the purple name?

*:troll:*
Haha.

I do have to say that I'm pretty confused about this whole thing at this point, though. I was accepted around a week ago and I've applied to be accepted to the group since then, but I've heard nothing back from anyone and I still can't view the back room. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

LLDL

Smash Hero
chadd, you have to

-Go to your user cp.
-Go to group memberships
-Join the MBR group
-Wait for one of the leaders to accept you into the group. Then, after you have the M icon next to your name, go back to group memberships, and select "identify me as a member of this group".

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Believe he said he already did that. If he was accepted into the group in group.membership he should.be able to see it regRdless of whether.he identifies himself as a mbr member

I'll see Whatsup.

:phone:

chaddd

Smash Lord
chadd, you have to

-Go to your user cp.
-Go to group memberships
-Join the MBR group
-Wait for one of the leaders to accept you into the group. Then, after you have the M icon next to your name, go back to group memberships, and select "identify me as a member of this group".
DtJ Jungle is right, I wasn't aware of the need to do this, so I did about 3 days ago. I just wasn't sure how long I have to wait.

Believe he said he already did that. If he was accepted into the group in group.membership he should.be able to see it regRdless of whether.he identifies himself as a mbr member

I'll see Whatsup.

:phone:
Thanks a lot. I don't really want to make a big deal about it or keep posting about it, I just don't know where else to go with my questions. Once again I appreciate it.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I am unsure why this thread was closed but it is open again, as admissions are on a rolling basis.

Keep this thread to applications only, or questions about applications. All others will be flagged for spam

Smashboards Username: Silent Wolf
Region: Washington State
Primary Character(s): Fox, Falco
Secondary Character(s): Marth, Sheik, Samus, etc
REQUIRED

A. My first tournament was in the summer of 2005

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I attend tournaments at least once a month; the minimum being our monthlies here in Washington state. I'm the best in my state. Other tournaments I attend in my region are in either Oregon or BC Canada. I go to two national tournaments every year. I am very aware of the smash community and its current state.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. Pro

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. Yes. Things such as new rule-sets have an effect on our scene and we lack MBR representation within our region. Also, a lot of players probably look up to me in my region because I'm a big part of our scene.

A. I could be, if the time came. In terms of smash, the kind of discussions I lead are for topics concerning our state's Melee scene. Stuff like the rankings or a change concerning our monthly tournaments.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. I don't organize tournaments yet; however, I often seed and run the bracket at our monthly tournaments in WA. I do plan on hosting tournaments in a couple months, once I get my own place with a couple smashers.

A. Aside from one or two minor switches, yes. I have enough experience with and against every character to have a good enough understanding of them and where they should be placed. I also pay close attention to tournament results and keep up with high level players and who they use.

A. I have no complaints other than Brinstar and Rainbow cruise being legal. Both are very gimmicky. Brinstar because of the uneven ground, the fleshy pillars that mess with hitstun and the lava of course.
RC because walk-off ledges should never be legal because of how easy it is to die because of them. Don't think I need to go into any more detail than that really, especially considering that these stages aren't looking like they'll be legal soon anyways.

A. Yes I do. I've played with this rule set and similar past rule sets for a long time and haven't had any complaints about it being unfair in any way.

A. WELL, a couple years ago I would have said tech skill for sure. That would have been in terms of having fun however =) lol. In terms of winning..it's tough to say. Without good strategies and know-how, your tech skill is almost useless, while without tech skill, you wouldn't be able to follow through with any strategic measures. To be an effective player, you really need a good balance of both. I can say this though, once you reach a certain point in your consistency, strategy becomes much more important. Meaning once you have enough to work with in terms of tech skill, becoming more used to knowing how to use it comes before practicing things that will likely help you less than such.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. While maximizing punishments is very important, you cannot do so without first initiating such. This suggests that initiating punishments is more important. However; I feel this depends on the match up at hand as well. Here is an example for each circumstance:

Maximizing: Let's say you're Marth fighting Fox on Final Destination. It is very possible that if Fox initiates more than one punishment it will still not outweigh A maximized chain throw combo punish by Marth. While this may only old true at certain levels of play and in certain situations, the likelihood remains present.

Initiating: Let's say you're jigglypuff fighting a Fox. Being able to initialize just one grab may result in Fox's death without even having to maximize in terms of hits and what it takes to acheive those hits. In this case getting the first hit can be crucial for both players without much done.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. In terms of the near future, no. There are too many people, including myself who cherish this game and will continue stimulating the scene via presence at tournaments as well as media. Unheard of players reach the pro level all the time and is evidence that this game just keep going. Eventually the competitive scene may die out, though. I say this only because in 100 years or so, there will be very few who have even played the game, let alone grew up with it.

A. More advertisements outside of the smash community for tournaments, such as flyers. There are a ton of people out there who love the game but are just unaware of the competitive scene. To ensure that lesser players stay within the community, the better players must reach out to those players when they can.
Those players look up to the better players and want to be noticed by them. I've seen a lot of people come and go after a breif period, so now in WA we try to do this more.

A. If there's an important topic undergroing discussion in the MBR, you could make that same thread in Melee disc. and say it's an MBR topic and make people think their views matter too. Perhaps have video contests of some sort and have the MBR judge them. Just forcing some ideas out haha.

A. I would alone represent the entire northwest region within the MBR and would be able to give input from experience within our smash scene(s). You will have another voice which can give potentially valuable input from over 5 years of experience as a competitive melee player.

VA

Smash Hero
Smashboards Username: VA (Vanity Angel)
Region: Brighton, South East, England
Primary Character(s): Peach
Secondary Character(s): Marth, Fox, Falco, Falcon

A. I attended my first tournament in between my final high school exams in June 2006.

A. Before University I had a flawless attendance record. Since then I have missed the odd national tournament due to my priorities having to be in other places. Having recently graduated I am now back to attending national events regularly, hosting my own local events and hosting nationals based in my region.

A. I'd say I'm high level. I'm not established internationally as a top competitor, but fully believe in my potential to get there.

A. I believe they would. I have provided support to many new players in terms of guidance and advice over chat and in person. I continue to do so with new players in my region.

A. I am a discussion leader, though not on SWF nor have I ever been. The reason for this, I believe, is due to an immature approach to boards in my nation. I get tired of attempting to write reasonable posts and often degenerate into slanderous trolling. I have opinions that I am eager to voice on SWF though lack the platform to do so currently.

A. Yes. I ran my first tournament on October 22nd. This tournament involved Street Fighter and MvC3 and I negotiated sponsorship from Capcom. It was hosted in a nightclub with music, films and tons of retro games in an attempt to widen the user base in my region.

A. I don't feel a tier list in a game such as smash can be 100% accurate. It is accurate in the groupings of characters on the tiers, but I do not believe it accurately reflects individual character rankings. This, I think is to do with fluidity and playstyles that are available in smash. Too much room for individuality and flair.

A. As a player I'm not very interested in stages. Playing in Europe, I am used to the 6 "neutrals" and feel comfortable on all of them. I don't really condone stages that move or have excessively low ceilings such as Rainbow Cruise or the lava gimmicks on Brinstar.

A. The tentative ruleset, I feel is, is dead on. I believe a standardised ruleset would be beneficial to the community.

A. I don't really see this as a straight divide between one or the other. Tech skill is the tools, you need them in order to stay consistent and deliver your aims in the match. Entirely separately from that you need a strategy for dealing with match ups and the many situations you will be in. I was inspired by hearing about how much Silent Wolf practiced tech skill and decided to try it myself. Essentially, it's about widening your capacity, if you know how to practice. You could get really strong at all the basics and that would give you enough. But personally I want more. It brings the flair and individuality of playstyles I love to see in Melee.

A. I would say this is character dependent, and can be realised in different ways. Personally I prefer maximizing punishes. I suppose that's my style, I'm not excellent at landing the first hit but when I do I want it to count, either keeping my opponent "in" as long as I can or letting them "out" and putting them in a poor position.

Again, this has a lot to do with style. Some people are excellent at landing those first hits, for whom it is less important to maximize. I'm trying not to sit on the fence here but it's hard not to :/

A. Age? Perhaps. Any other factors? No. Smash is perfection in terms of a competitive game. There are so many understated elements of this game that operate so well in competitive circumstances. Unfortunately the reality of a games lifespan is related to popularity, which by and large goes in favour of newer and shinier things. The smash community as it stands will grow older and start to lead lives that are unable to keep smash at the level it is. Influx of players doesn't seem that high, especially in Europe. Time will tell I suppose.

A. There are, and I have witnessed it first hand, hundreds of people who play Melee with their friends without any knowledge of a competitive community out there for them to be a part of. It's reaching those players that will expand the community. The events I run are an attempt to capture the attention of these people and integrate them into the community.

A. I see the role of MBR as setting standards and regulations for tournament play. I am full behind the current ruleset and the notion of producing such threads and regulations. Clear and concise threads such as this can only produce better tournament experiences across the communities.

A. There are no English representatives (to my knowledge) with access to the MBR. I believe that I would provide articulate and insightful correspondence from within our community. Furthermore I would be able to use the knowledge and insight of my own ventures to feedback to the wider community in terms of growing communities both locally and nationally.

Kal

Smash Champion
I thought this was the MBR ruleset discussion and kind of freaked out after seeing all of these Q&As. Mind = Blown.

Varist

Smash Lord
holy **** me too, and seeing Latest Post by Kal just fortified the impression. wtf VA, disrupting the flow of the boardsss

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Smashboards Username: Toph
Region: Washington State (, Japan, Hawaii)
Primary Character(s): Fox
Secondary Character(s): Sheik, Falco

REQUIRED

A. Early 2008. Approximately since around the time of Brawl's release.

A. I regularly attend local tournaments and travel to Vancouver, BC and Oregon for tournaments frequently. I also attend roughly two national tournaments a year. I'm very familiar with my local scene - I'm often the go-to guy for new faces in the community, and I travel within my region to new players' houses, etc. to reach out to them and invite them to the scene. I'm also very familiar with the neighboring communities of BC and Oregon.

Besides WA, where I spend much of the year, I also spend my summers in Hawaii (I went to high school there) and am in touch with its Melee community. I also lived in Japan for 1 year (2010-2011) and am very close with all of the Japanese Melee players. I helped bring Kou and Captain Jack to APEX2012 and attended monthly tournaments there.

A. High level or "pro-am." I have taken tournament sets and money matches off of top players but have yet to distinguish myself at a large tournament.

A. Yes. Silent Wolf is the only other MBR member in my region but he told me that I should apply to the MBR earlier. And since I'm very active on facebook, etc. recruiting new members and coordinating smashfests I think everyone in my scene would support me.

A. Yeah. Every now and then I'll have bursts of activity on Smashboards (particularly in the Fox boards, haha) but for the most part my activity has to do with coordinating local/regional events and helping SW et al. discuss rulesets and things like that.

A. I'm not an active tournament organizer but I've ran small (local) tournaments in the past and have helped with seeding the bracket, etc. and helping to make sure everything is run on time.

A. It's accurate except for some minor switches I'd make. Granted, the top tier in Melee is pretty well-balanced and it's often up for debate as to which characters should occupy exactly which spots. That said, I sometimes feel that the community as a whole can be very fickle with regards to tier list spots. It seems like sometimes a single player will place well with a character and people will call for reorganizing of the entire top tier based on a few tournament sets (i.e. people calling for Peach to be top, or S tier based on Armada's results). I feel like careful analysis is required for determining tier list spots and generally would argue against reorganizing the tier list after the results of a single major tourney.

A. Almost. Saying this as a Fox main, I think it's just slightly unfair for floaties. Currently the only non-neutral counterpick stage is Pokemon Stadium, which is an advantageous stage for Fox and Falco. Floaties don't have an equivalent floaty-advantageous stage of their own, so spacies can ban Dream Land and have to fight, at worst, on FoD which isn't THAT bad for a spacie vs. a floaty, whereas floaties have to worry about Stadium, Yoshi's Story, and (in the case of Samus and, say, Jigglypuff) FD being rough. I think Kongo Jungle 64 is an adequate counterbalance and not a particularly unfair stage (the edges give Fox and Falco additional recovery opportunities despite it being a classically good stage for floaties), so I'd put that back as a counterpick.

A. Yes, I think it's fair. I've played with it enough and in enough different regions that I think it's a very balanced ruleset.

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy ? Why?
A. Both are exceedingly important so this is by a very, very narrow margin but I'd say that:
- Tech skill is slightly more important in singles until the absolute top level. Proper punishes/followups, spacing to avoid getting shieldgrabbed, reaction time for techchasing etc. can make or break sets, especially at lower levels where the difference is obvious. With proper combos and edgeguards alone you can defeat most opponents in pools etc.
- Strategy is slightly more important at the top level. Matchup knowledge here becomes extremely important. I'm looking at defeating players like Hungrybox who have extremely refined matchup experience where simply being a power player isn't going to cut it. Likewise, running into a top Samus, Ganon, Doc etc. in tournament means that being a technical space animal isn't enough anymore - you need to know matchup-specific stuff to get wins.
- Strategy is always more important in teams, and by a fairly large margin. Team synergy, being in sync with your teammate, and knowing which opponent to pursue (when to do two 2v1s, when to double-team) goes a VERY LONG way in teams.

A. Also very close but I think maximizing punishments is more important, especially in today's metagame. Getting random hits off doesn't cut it, especially against good players. Finishing your combos and hitting edgeguards is way too important when it comes to taking sets off good players. Especially when you consider that most good players are familiar enough with CC and SDI these days that getting a "first hit" often doesn't mean anything at all (you can bait Fox/Falcon into nairing you and CC grab, etc.) I could also point to many recorded sets on youtube where the victor was essentially decided by who could maximize punishment the best, and under the most "clutch" circumstances.

A. It's been 10 years and our biggest tournaments have been fairly recent. Note also that Smash is the 3rd largest fighting game in the USA after MvC3 and SSF4 in that order. SSBM is a good enough game that it could continue to be popular for a very long time assuming we (as a community) don't rest on our laurels and decide we've grown big enough. Fighting games are just starting to really take off and with the attention Smash gets from casual gamers as well as its competitive potential, I think our game still has a lot of room to grow and I don't see it dying anytime soon.

A. I think professionalism is going to start going a long way into expanding the community. With regards to other fighting game scenes, Smash has long been perceived (if unfairly) as a "kiddie" community and I've personally heard complaints from fighting gamer friends of mine that Smash players sometimes come across as immature. I don't think this is nearly the case anymore, as most Melee (can't speak for Brawl lmao) players are into their twenties, but at the same time, our game is older now so we have to do more to get attention. I think high-quality streams (ideally, with commentary) and professionally run tournaments in solid venues are effective, as well as community outreach to prove that we ARE a strong community.

For what it's worth I also think we have a very "hype" game - it's easy to get hype over Melee matches and it's easy to show this. I think it's important to take advantage of this fact. Our community, and our game, is just more fun than Brawl.

Lastly I think SWF itself could use something of an overhaul to make the community and events more accessible to more players. The site isn't set up as well as it could be to advertise streams and tournaments (there's a list of "upcoming tournaments" in the top bar, but the calendar feature isn't very apparent or as well-supported as it could be, for example) and the lack of a front page means there's no way to advertise new strategies, tips, combo videos, events, or even merchandise (these are all just ways to increase hype and possibly direct newcomers). I think the front page of http://shoryuken.com/ is a better structure.

A. Regarding "community outreach" as mentioned in the last question, for example, I'm currently discussing plans to create an extended introduction/tutorial video for SSBM with some WC melee players. i.e. not just a tutorial on "advanced techniques" etc. but essentially an introduction to what game mechanics are important, how Melee matches are defined in terms of approach vs. defense, etc. and an overall introduction to the Melee tournament scene in general.

Something like this (feel free to watch a minute or two to get a feel of what I'm talking about, this is DandyDLC's complete introduction to KoF) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75Lz1Drp8g I know for one that when I watched that video I was like "wow, I now know A LOT more about KoF than I used to, and this game looks pretty tight, maybe I'll try it sometime." I want people to see that and think the same thing about Melee.

Projects like these require the input of top players and I think the MBR is one way to get input for stuff like this. The MBR can also try to coordinate things like streams and tournaments and generally spearhead efforts by the community to make our scene look more appealing.

A. I'm well-connected in the Pacific Northwest (WA, OR, BC), California (particularly Norcal, having recently attended a few tournaments down there), Hawaii, and Japan. I've placed well in local tournaments so I have the respect of my community, and I look out for noobs to the scene. I also have a passion for expanding the community and would contribute to any sorts of projects like the aforementioned video in the works, and have skills with graphic design and video/audio editing if you guys ever need someone to pretty stuff up. :P Also, I have a solid grasp on Melee, its gameplay, and its matchups and I can provide worthwhile input.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
Don't have anything here. I'd have to dig too far back in the Fox thread. >_>

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: Sheridan
i. Reason: Sheridan is one of the most well-read, eloquent and witty guys I know and he does SO MUCH for the community. He's selfless (despite being a competitor himself, he was busy with TO duties all weekend for Apex) and very outgoing. I don't think there actually exist people who dislike Sheridan.
2. Player: Kirbykaze
i. Reason: He's really well-informed and knowledgeable about game data, etc. but also puts this knowledge into practice by consistently playing like a superstar in tournament. He's also humble and hilarious and generally good company. He contributes a LOT to advancing the metagame, too - his posts in the character boards are consistently lengthy and informative.
3. Player: Boback
i. Reason: Boback doesn't post much on Smashboards as far as I know but he's a pillar of the WC melee community and played a huge part in resurrecting Melee by running Genesis 1 almost single-handedly. He also consistently expresses enthusiasm for the game and continues to make efforts to get people to play the game competitively. He also helped edit the DBR combo videos back in the day and therefore played a central part into getting me into Melee, since the DBR combo videos were what got me wanting to try Melee lolz.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: Sure, I agree for the most part. I think the crux of Sirlin's argument is not to limit yourself with self-imposed regulations or you'll stay a noob forever. This remains relevant for longer than a lot of players give it credit for; I know a lot of competitive Melee players who refuse to play a certain way or experiment with certain strategies because "it isn't their style" or whatever. Leaving your mind open to learning how to win in new ways often goes a long way into improving yourself as a player.

When I say that, though, I'm not trying to advocate things like making the game boring in order to grasp at victories. I watched some high-level Brawl matches on the big screen at Apex and saw things like 1 player, with his teammate dead, on his last stock, vs. 2 players with 1 and 2 stocks, camping the ledge as Metaknight and doing anything in his power to delay what was obviously an inevitable loss. He was hoping to get enough stray hits, I suppose, that he could potentially kill one of the opponents and eek out a win. Going by the strict definition of "playing to win" he was doing the right thing, but at the same time he was holding up the tournament and undoubtedly boring spectators on the stream, decreasing tournament hype. So there's a time and place for everything, and I think it's important to find the golden balance of not limiting yourself vs. not ruining the experience for others.

Top Bottom