• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

Varist

Smash Lord
it is fun. i'm just glad we're ****ting all over cactuar's mbr app thread. there hasn't been a serious app since omni. yeuh

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I thought a beginner was classified as someone who just trys to get kills with Roy's C stick and a fully charged Flare Blade.
I'd say a beginner is in between getting last in brackets at a local and not getting out of pools. If you can do better than that, then you level up to being an apprentice/neophyte or something like that. lol.

Varist

Smash Lord
beginner: win a local
intermediate: win a regional
pro: get monay at a national
top pro: 1st at an international/more than 2 nationals

is it legit?

Varist

Smash Lord
if a top pro keeps cockblocking all your locals and regionals and won't let you advance to a status I recognize then tie that douchebag up over the weekend. then you can all go become beginners at melee one at a time. despite the fact that you've been playing for 5 years

:bee:

editF*** YOU XYZZ

editagainTHE SENIOR OFFENCE AGAINST GODOT AHAHAHAHHAA.

Varist

Smash Lord
well you know what they say about skill

it's all relative

you will always be beginners

Or we use that nifty new ELO thing they been cookin up in the lower boards. 1700+ top pro as it stands?

Varist

Smash Lord
Wrong.

Armada essentially plays gay and campy as possible just to win instead of putting on a show which is why competitive Melee is such a fun game to play and watch. He is a great player no doubt and videos of his Marth just blow my mind, but he just wants the title of champion so bad, he is being to much of a try hard.
youtube hero

Kal

Smash Champion
lolol man armada is such a tryhard, trying hard to win

he shouldnt try hard

Varist

Smash Lord
technically it has to do with the post i referred to in the post you referred to in the quoted post i quoted. youtubian heroics are something you just kind of have to get. or maybe kal could explain it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Wrong.

Armada essentially plays gay and campy as possible just to win instead of putting on a show which is why competitive Melee is such a fun game to play and watch. He is a great player no doubt and videos of his Marth just blow my mind, but he just wants the title of champion so bad, he is being to much of a try hard.
Do Melee players have an obligation to put on a show or something? For some it's natural and also sometimes their character helps that. But I'm pretty sure most of us are trying to win so I have no idea what you are really saying here...

Kal

Smash Champion
probably not

i turn things into arguments varist

just like bones

Varist

Smash Lord
Do Melee players have an obligation to put on a show or something? For some it's natural and also sometimes their character helps that. But I'm pretty sure most of us are trying to win so I have no idea what you are really saying here...
deadlastclown just wants to have sex with falcon. don't you deadlastclown.

oops i missed yours paju. nothing personal. i kept seeing apps get quoted and i mistook yours for one of the illegitimate ones

you're cool pajupants

Kal

Smash Champion
DeadLastClown, there are so many things wrong with your post that I don't even know where to begin. It's so scrubby it's actually profound.

Paju, I think there are some glaring issues with your post:

In response to the question about the accuracy of the tier list, you write "I must say I don’t completely agree with the lower tier character positions," without elaborating at all, despite the application clearly asking "why" vis-à-vis your opinion on the tier list.

You do a similarly poor job of elaborating on the current stage list.

Your list of five examples of contributions include no informative posts, despite a very clearly written "links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here."

Finally, your excerpt about Sirlin suggests that you haven't actually read his article, c.f. this post.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
@Deadlast I'm positive Armada has a ****ton of respect through out the community, the guy is awesome and plays like a ****ing monster. I don't think you are able to see the intricacies in his play yet, when you do.. that's where you'll see just how much of a beast he is.

Bing

Smash Master
I agree with Kage, theres a ton of little things he does that are harder then they look... Like I have such a hard time ****** Spacie recovery with Turnips and he has like a 98% kill rate.

He is a ****ing Monster,I have to agree. Like many people at Apex, we sat through 2 sets of armada vs Hbox in appreciation of the amount of skill and intelligents that went into that set.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Deadlastclown, stop posting. Now.
Don't be too much of a ****. In a community that is constantly worried about where it will be in the next ten years or wondering how glaring and intimidating it must be to an outsider, or one that tells off HBox for making melee look bad to 100 or so brawl players on the apex stream, telling a guy to GTFO doesn't seem like the smartest move.

I realise when I say stupid ****, someone calls me out on it and I STFU, but I don't think we need to attack the guy. And don't try to play this off as a joke.

MBR has really high standards. So high that exemplary posters and players get turned down after being here for 5 years or more and it takes quite a bit to get in. Let's leave it at that.

Bing

Smash Master
Krisp crumblin all over dat ****.

No but honestly, he's just being a rookie. Lots of people do it. Some people react poorly to it like Beat Just did. Others ignore it, others just explain and help guide the rookies. He'll figure it out.

Kal

Smash Champion
There's nothing wrong with being uninformed. If he were to come in and say something that is just nooby, I wouldn't have anything against it, I would just try and correct him. The issue I take is with this "playing to win is less important than looking good" stance he seems to have.

DeadLastClown, I suggest reading Playing to Win by David Sirlin.

Kal

Smash Champion
Actually Kage, there is a lot of players scrubs who would happily disagree, saying that they would rather see a player like Mango lose than a player like Hungrybox win.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I for one enjoyed Apex GF.
Not as much as Mango's sets but the entire bringing out Y.Link and using him to such a degree and then HBox finding a work around just before losing completely and timing him out. All that was needed was his Ness to come out and take even just one match to really make it special. But hey, he felt he figured out a way to win with Jiggs and it seemed to be working.

...why am I posting this?

Paju

Smash Journeyman
Paju, I think there are some glaring issues with your post:

In response to the question about the accuracy of the tier list, you write "I must say I don’t completely agree with the lower tier character positions," without elaborating at all, despite the application clearly asking "why" vis-à-vis your opinion on the tier list.

You do a similarly poor job of elaborating on the current stage list.
Yeah, you're right. I did poor job on those two questions. I now added more information to the answers, even though it doesn't probably even matter anymore.

Your list of five examples of contributions include no informative posts, despite a very clearly written "links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here."
Well then I just misunderstood the question. I wasn't exactly sure if they asked me to give links to any contributions I've made to the melee community or just only informative posts (which would be valued more). Sorry.

Finally, your excerpt about Sirlin suggests that you haven't actually read his article, c.f. this post.
Well I have read the articles. =/ I'm not exactly sure what you want me to reply as I didn't really understand this sentence: "Sirlin does nothing towards advocating tactics with a "lower payout ceiling."" but I have a lot of examples of both totally scrub players and players who don't understand that if you really want to get good, you should try new things when playing casuals ("playing to learn") instead of always trying your hardest to win and using only the same tactics or strategies you have already found to be pretty effective ("playing to win every single match").

The scrubs for example didn't let me use Marth (who was my main back then) in our very small local tournament "because it was too gay and easy" or didn't want to learn any AT's because at first they were just unnecessary things that you don't need to win and after I started to apply them well on my game, the AT's were just considered to be cheating. Good thing is that I no longer have to listen to nonsense like that.

The players who only want to win and can't stand losing are a lot more familiar to me at the moment. Because they only want to win every singles match they play, they don't try anything new which is the reason they aren't improving as fast as they could. In such a deep and complex game as melee, you really need to be trying new things all the time to stay up with the metagame. If you only rely on strategies you already know are pretty good, more and more people will start to realize how to counter your strategies and they will start beating you. In this case "playing to win" has actually made you to lose. I can assure you that many players I know are like this and then they wonder why others improve faster than them.

Playing to learn gives you far more information about different situations, and a lot of information about different situations is a necessity to be able to make a great game strategy and to adapt your game strategy based on your opponent's strategy. Because many players who I know don't realise the difference between "playing to win" and "playing to win every singe match you ever play", I felt like it was a pretty good point to adduce from Sirlin's articles.

But yeah, thanks for your feedback! Hopefully I now expressed my thoughts little better.

Kal

Smash Champion
There's no need to apologize. I'm not offended or upset with your application. Just pointing out how it could be interpreted negatively. Truthfully, I think the MBR is bull **** and shouldn't exist, and that there is no real reason to even want to be in the MBR.

With regards to not understanding Sirlin's article, I just meant that he specifically addresses that playing to win and playing to learn are often at odds, and so, unless there is a reason to play to win (e.g. you are in a tournament, you are in a money match), you should play to learn. Making the distinction as though it was contrary to Sirlin's "Playing to Win" made it appear as though you hadn't actually read the article.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
More importantly why are all these silly posts in the application thread? This is supposed to be for applications only.
I doubt Cactuar cares tho

Top Bottom