• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

LLDL

Smash Hero
Edit: Eh, nvm I don't want to potentially bring back something that doesn't involve me.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Cactuar you should PM me your home address, and then check your mailbox a few days later since I heard a rumor that the magical $50 fairy was making her rounds and was considering checking your house, but wasn't sure where to look.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Who's making johns? I have neither been accepted nor denied

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Up-air is lame. It can't kill anyone. I guess the big punch is OK.

But it's just no fun to have to play backwards all the time. Other characters have stuff they can do while facing you.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I can still play DK but I don't like to. He only has 2 good moves.
Dtilt is good for poking if you're good
ledge attack is legit
fair is ok if you combo into it
and as someone else stated, upb
but yeah he's kind of boring to play if you don't have a particular passion for the character :urg:

JPOBS

Smash Hero
no one "famous" from canada applied this time except KK.

also, would there be any point to resubmitting an application for future selections? I mean MBR isn't the kind of thing where you can go out and get more job/work experience elsewhere and apply with a more impressive resume. It would just be a different flavored coat of sugar.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
no one "famous" from canada applied this time except KK.

also, would there be any point to resubmitting an application for future selections? I mean MBR isn't the kind of thing where you can go out and get more job/work experience elsewhere and apply with a more impressive resume. It would just be a different flavored coat of sugar.
idk, why is this true? Couldn't you significantly improve your knowledge and or skill level over a year or so?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
idk, why is this true? Couldn't you significantly improve your knowledge and or skill level over a year or so?
It's kinda like proving yourself you are truly capable of helping the community in your own way. Which is why, yes you have to become stronger and really understand.. and feel what's it like to be someone that is recognized and helpful. Inputting your opinion in general isn't enough... I see a lot of opinions which is simply agreeing with someone else and wording it a different way. For the guys in Canada, that means you have to be more of a warrior. :troll:

rhan

Smash Hero
Cuz Canada is stuck in the past where they fight with fists and swords.

Come to 2011 where we all got guns n ****.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
It's kinda like proving yourself you are truly capable of helping the community in your own way. Which is why, yes you have to become stronger and really understand.. and feel what's it like to be someone that is recognized and helpful. Inputting your opinion in general isn't enough... I see a lot of opinions which is simply agreeing with someone else and wording it a different way. For the guys in Canada, that means you have to be more of a warrior. :troll:
Kinda pretty much this. To be put in a less warrior-like way, There are always contributions/projects/discussions you can take part in to be noticed by MBR members. Remember, we're active members within the online and offline communities, so you can show us through your improving skill in tournaments or consistent, intelligent discussion here in the Melee Specific forum.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Intelligent discussion is fairly hard to come by here in the Melee forums :urg:

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Whenever somebody says something intelligent they should tag it lol.
#ThatWasSmart
[COLLAPSE="MBR APPLICATION"]Smashboards Username: KAOSTAR
Region: West Coast/Pac West
Primary Character(s): :mewtwo::fox:
Secondary Character(s): :marth::falco:

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?

A. I have been playing competitively for a little over 3 years. I started playing during my spring quarter of 2008(Freshman year)

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?

A. I regularly attend our local tournaments which are held once a month. Whenever I am dutifully and financially able I have attended larger nationals such as Genesis, and Pound 5 and I will be present at Genesis 2. A few times a year, I attend locals in surrounding regions such as Oregon, and B.C. In the future I hope to be traveling much more frequently to other regions.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)

A. Im probably at the lower end of a high level smasher but I still have a lot to learn and Im always improving. I spend a lot of time practicing and studying the game with hopes of becoming a professional caliber player. When it comes to pure tech skill I am at the high end of the metagame but I lack the MU knowledge that a lot of the older more experienced players have.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?

A. I may not be the most skilled player but my opinions are valued and my input is often sought(or at least questions that I have the answers to lol). I think my region would support me based on my dedication to the community, work ethic, and knowledge of game mechanics. I dont feel as if my skill or intellect would be considered inadequate to be apart of the MBR if chosen.

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?

A. I am a willing participant in any sort of constructive discussion. In an open conversation amongst intellectuals a discussion leader is mostly a figurehead, somebody who keeps time and has a checklist. I dont feel a need to hold anyone's hand and ask them for an opinion, but I have no problems funneling or filtering discussion if it becomes disorderly or unruly.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?

A. I am not an active TO. We havent been able to find an affordable venue with a decent location.

I seem to be one of the few, the proud, holder of a WA State Drivers License and I often pick people up for smashfests and tournaments, or even that last minute ride to work when we have been up all night smashing.

I try my best to display an inviting and positive attitude so that people will want to attend. Showing even just a little bit of interest in somebody goes a long way.
Recently, myself and a couple other notable players from WA made a FB group to try and improve tournament attendance, scene awareness, and ease tension between some of the better and newer players. IMO the smash community should be treated more-so like family.

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?

A. I dont like to harp on the fact that the tier list is accurate in a right now setting. I feel that its ever-changing, and in all honestly could be outdated 3 months from the day it was posted. Currently, I dont think it is accurate and its mainly from the criteria its supposedly based upon. If our tier list is tournament performance then there is no way that characters like Roy would be placed over M2. For the most part, I dont personally agree with the order and placement of some of the cast, I think that its still a moderately accurate representation of our metagame, but our tier list is just opinions of knowledgeable community members collaborated with tournament placings. Using the MBR as the populous was a more efficient way to come to some sort of consensus, but the method could be improved on.

What I would like to see different on future tier list:
-Lists that accurately follow the criteria given
-Tournament placings that not only look at the winners and top 5 aka skill of individual players, but accurately take into account the general trend of notable tournaments throughout the community.
-I would like to see more frequent updates *This eliminates the arguments based on unlimited or unknown potential and more accurately represents the current trends of the metagame. The metagame is constantly changing and I feel the method should be better suited to handle that.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?

A. I agree with the current stage list. My personal opinions are that we either player on ONE stage(battlefield), all neutrals, or we have to pick and choose stages that uphold the competitive integrity if the game.

Melee isnt a typical fighter and stages play are large role in the gameplay. So I feel as if we should include as many stages as possible without over emphasizing the strengths of any particular character. I think there is a general consensus on the 5 neutrals with the added stage striking being a more efficient way than random stage selection.

Im in agreement with eliminating large stages because of camping, stages with walls due to infinites, and stages with walkoffs because it promotes a different type of camping and waveshining is overpowered. So whatever is left should either be a neutral or promote diversity and counter specific character mechanics.

ex: rainbow vs pokefloats-essentially the same stage. Good for camping, have walls but dont last forever, and stages move. However rainbow is less glitchy and is less of an interruption to gameplay. They both benefit the same strengths and weaknesses and I see no reason...under current rules set to allow the same stage twice. Especially when there are arguments about the use and/or definition of DSR.

Although peach/puff aka floaty character seem to do very well on Kongo, DL, and Mute City, I would not have a problem with Mute City being reinstated. The main reason is that I feel the lack of ledges could benefit ANY character who doesnt have a lot of lag on recovery or doesnt need ledges to get back to the stage. IMO it could be a strong CP for lower tiered characters and could make them more viable.

IMO Brinstar is a solid cp vs two of the most dominant character in the game.

In the end, I feel that counter picking vs banning stages should be more strategic and not leave people with essentially two awkward stages to worry about.

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?

A. Yes, the current ruleset if fair. Its not perfect, but that stems from the game not being perfect. But every dispute can be settled with a coin toss or RPS. I would prefer DSR to be represented as "last stage won on" If all the stages are considered fair enough to play on then no stage should have to be removed from the set. If we continue using the neutral and CP stage list I was considering modifying DSR to be more favorable towards neutral stages and less favorable towards CPable ones.

Id also like clarification on the stage ban rule: Does a player ban a stage for his opponent only, or does that ban effect himself as well?

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?

A. If I could ONLY have 1, Id choose strategy. Having tech skill is great but it takes much more tech skill to beat out strategy. Tech skill is essentially your creativity limiter/level of control. without it you cant truly embrace what this game is about. As strategy vs tech skill increase, tech skill becomes increasingly valuable.

I have a much stronger bias towards tech skill but being an excellent strategist is much more respectable. Its a battle of the mind and a more difficult aspect of gameplay to expand. Anybody can aquire techskill with hours of practice, not everybody is smart.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?

A. At the highest level of Melee initiating punishment is more important because it is the equivalent of playing safe. Combos are an after thought if you cant even hit your opponent. As the game progresses even further people are only going to play safer because naturally the punishments will only get bigger and more consistent. Being able to initiate punishment allows you to pick at your opponent until they get frustrated and begin taking gambles and making more mistakes.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?

A. Every game has a lifespan that is limited to the life of its hardware. games like Star Craft are able to thrive because of the backwards compatibility of the windows OS. Not to mention, online play leads to more dynamic growth and more intermingling of ideas and playstyles. IMO it changes the way ppl interact with eachother but it does increase the lifespan of the game.

We have always been a very grassroots community which means that melee will hold on for as long as possible, but there is an inevitable end of large scale events such as Genesis or Pound.

My honest guess, Melee will go strong at least another 5-10 years, partly renewed because of the Wii and SSBB connection with the franchise. After that, only time will tell.

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?

A. SWF needs a clean up. Not the website itself, but as responsible and long lasting members we need to bring some organization to our boards. For instance, most of the character boards dont have an updated "how to" guide.

You would think by now there would be a sticky in melee discussion that pretty much would answer any question somebody had about game mechanics. And some sort of community effort to place advanced concepts into a guide, such as an updated how to play youtube SERIES that would hopefully go as deep as professional level play.

SSBM is a difficult game, but people would be more likely to try it if information was much easier to sift through, and thats only going to change if we change the way we present our data.

I think the idea of an official SSBM or MBR youtube channel that had video tutorials and guides that linked back to threads on swf could bring more members to the boards and to the game itself.

I also really like what the melee Atlnorth channel has done, its a youtube channel run by more than 1 person who isnt doing it for glory.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?

A. I really like the idea of projects. One of the things I love about Melee is that its incredibly deep technically, and in terms of the level of strategy needed to compete at any level. Since SWF is our hub for information, I think we need to make sure that our knowledge as a community makes it to the boards and subsequently through youtube.

We just need sheer man power, and if the MBR proposed actual projects for ppl to complete then I know the community would get behind it.

If the MBR works out the way its suppose to then the biggest asset they would provide to the community is structure.

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?

A. If the MBR is truly serious about getting things done, having projects and getting things completed, Im willing to work. Im open minded, intelligent, and I can look at things objectively and without extreme prejudice. I know alot about game mechanics and strong theory crafting within reason. I have a solid grasps on MUs of top tier character and arent completely oblivious about the underused ones. I can also discuss without letting emotions and personal feelings/ego get in the way of facts. I pride myself on thinking in a very structured manner, even when my ideas are out of the ordinary. I know a ****load about Mewtwo who is pretty badass.

OPTIONAL
1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.

1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12288158&postcount=1009
i. Description: Some of the data Ive collected(M2)
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12194433&postcount=994
i. Description: #994-997 demonstrates an intelligent discussion(M2)
3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12609296&postcount=16883
i. Description: Character specific discussion(fox)#16879-16891
4. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12303648&postcount=15534
i. Description: Character specific discussion(fox)
5. Link: http://vgbootcamp.com/showthread.php?98-How-Melee-Works
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12201838 (original location)
i. Description: A project I started. I eventually want to have a thread that describes the game mechanics in detail, and of course it would be ported to SWF. All of those posts were originally posted on SWF.
6. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11065511&postcount=4134
i. Description: Character discussion(Marth)

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.

1. Player:
i. Reason:

2. Player: Taj
i. Reason: I think one of Taj's strong suits is his theory discussion. Its very balanced, based on facts, and realistic.

3. Player: KirbyKaze
i. Reason: When it comes down to it KK knows alot about the game, and he can express his views through clear and concise discussion. He is also very objective, and low key funny.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?

1. Answer: Sirlin's play to win is very straight forward and I agree with his theory. IMO the most intriguing part of his theory is the one that is the least concrete. Its the grey area. The section where certain aspects can be altered or removed to increase the competitive integrity of the game. I think this part applies to Melee the most, or at least the most can come from the discussion. This section applies to highly sensitive subjects such as wobbling(pro-wobbling), and the current stage list.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS: I am the father of the M2 vs Zelda debate. It was easily one of the most debated topics in recent melee discussion. I AM LEGEND!!!
http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=2232
[/COLLAPSE]

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lololololol How Melee Works
Magus and I are still the only (Melee) people who really understand how jumps and traction work :urg:
Unless someone took some serious notes in that one Falco thread last year

I should eventually go an debunk some of SSBM Statistics List.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
lololol mean monkey kong. anyway I think ur missing the point. I wasnt claiming
i know everything about the game, I just wanted to organize data. it would be tight as **** for all that data to be compiled together. im sure stuff u kno would be useful.

also...knowing how jump and traction work isnt going to get ur dk wins on my two :troll:

edit: I think I remember seeing something like that in the falco boards, u should hella pm me.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah knowing stuff doesn't make me better at the game inherently. I think I'm better than I would be if I didn't know all of this random data though.

I think I should make a video on jumps........ or stale moves.... and just an excel sheet on jumps. :D

I'm usually on AIM just hit me up there bro

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
But it's just no fun to have to play backwards all the time. Other characters have stuff they can do while facing you.
Then stop picking characters that have to do that! You seem to be attracted to them.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
one of my favorite parts of melee is theory, and random data and facts def help with that. not all the time, but there are def little things that players can add to their game, the little things definitely add up.

but yea I wish more players would "study" the game. and what Id like to change is the ones that do study it organize their findings a little better.

SWF is so jumbled lol, once things are confirmed they should be given a home, something more stable than a random thread or post in melee discussion. Id like to be able to lookup vs search for alot of things.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Wait, so everybody in Canada considers themselves a warrior?
Oh no.. But they have to pass through me first. =P

Cuz Canada is stuck in the past where they fight with fists and swords.

Come to 2011 where we all got guns n ****.
Bleh how boring.. True men fight with their fists! Tell me that GSP is stuck in the past. =P

Kinda pretty much this. To be put in a less warrior-like way, There are always contributions/projects/discussions you can take part in to be noticed by MBR members. Remember, we're active members within the online and offline communities, so you can show us through your improving skill in tournaments or consistent, intelligent discussion here in the Melee Specific forum.
Ya pretty much but I see things through my own perspective of course. =P

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to

Divinokage

Smash Legend

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
My my.. you really really like the flashiness lol. You would say the same thing about Tipman. =P
mostly I'm just trying to be funneh, but yea, I do like flashiness, and yea, Tipman is beast. Stop winning by just fairing at the right times, damnit! Can't you at least through in a Wavedash off the ledge -> pivot -> moonwalk every once in awhile!?!?!?!?

Top Bottom