• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrArby

Smash Ace
In Cactuar's thread on the bottom of pg 46 there are two posts by M2K on that matchup and another on pg 47 by Cactuar (the long answer at the bottom). The posts aren't exactly focused on edgeguarding her but there are some great overall play tips against her.

Hope thats helpful. I don't know how to quote it all and move those posts here so you'll have to find them which shouldn't be difficult now.

EDIT: **** you elvenarrow3000. I felt so knowledgeable but you had to jump the gun on me by 1 ****ing minute!

I mean kudos to you.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You could post the links =P

Anyway, I think your post was better than mine, if that makes you feel better.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Haha. You could do worse things than troll my thread. I do actually give really good advice, you just have to sort through all the sarcasm and tomfoolery.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Nothing wrong with a little tomfoolery though. And yes your advice is excellent.

Btw I'm in a math class and I just noticed that M2K put up a thread in the General Brawl Discussion forum practically beggin people to come play him. Has he become like that hot chick that everyone is afraid to ask out cause shes so much hotter or something?

Then again look who I'm talking to. Cactuar your are a sexy biotch and I'm a fanboy NO BRAWL.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I realize this going to be an obvious answer but I have to ask.

How do you utilt without jumping? I've always had this problem, but it was never a big deal since I have always mained sheik. I am now switching my main to Marth.
Once in a while I don't jump, but for the most part it just seems I jump and uair everytime, which is not great.

Is it simply as simple as, you have to hit the control stick in the exact right diagonal direction every time, and that's it? In which case...****. More practice!

EDIT: even when I press mash top right and top left on the control stick it jumps still now I'm just at a loss. lol.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Why are you "mashing" the control stick?
Not really mashing. Just moving it up in any upwards direction. I guess I'm doing it too fast though, seeing as I always jump. I mean, if I move it slow I don't jump obviously. But when I'm in a heated match, moving the control stick slowly up takes to much time to do. Instead I just ftilt.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
You mean you circle the control stick? I just go straight up, upleft/upright if i have to change direction. Just go into training mode and practice it, youll get it.

IrArby

Smash Ace
You probably wont want to put the control stick all the way up to the rim of the octagonal thing around the Control Stick. Practice SHFFLing aerials into in uptilt is a good way to practice uptilts since it'll be more match-like. Fair to uptilt is definetly a Marth staple anyway. Plus Cactuar recommended some where or another to try Fair to reverse Uptilt. It sounds wierd but it does have uses.

TxuZz

Smash Cadet
i happened to have the same problem, but what i do now ( and itr works somehow) is rotate the stick from diagonal to stright up + A. its hella slow at the begginig. But.. marth doesnt jump ;). and the lag can be EXterminateD whit practice.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Just learn to have more thumb control. Once you get used to barely pushing up on the control stick to get the uptilt it becomes easy.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
You mean you circle the control stick? I just go straight up, upleft/upright if i have to change direction. Just go into training mode and practice it, youll get it.
You probably wont want to put the control stick all the way up to the rim of the octagonal thing around the Control Stick. Practice SHFFLing aerials into in uptilt is a good way to practice uptilts since it'll be more match-like. Fair to uptilt is definetly a Marth staple anyway. Plus Cactuar recommended some where or another to try Fair to reverse Uptilt. It sounds wierd but it does have uses.
A better way to do an utilt without jumping is doing it in a combo and holding up while marth is in an animation of a previous attack, u get what i'm tryna say?
i happened to have the same problem, but what i do now ( and itr works somehow) is rotate the stick from diagonal to stright up + A. its hella slow at the begginig. But.. marth doesnt jump ;). and the lag can be EXterminateD whit practice.
Just learn to have more thumb control. Once you get used to barely pushing up on the control stick to get the uptilt it becomes easy.
You guys all helped a lot. I figured out right afterwords that I basically need more thumb control, and how to do uptilits you just have to go up a tiny bit instead of all the way. Still practicing shffling, and definitely getting better. Thanks guys.

Tero.

Smash Champion
*subscribes to this thread*

And to ask something:

Against which characters is side b -> grab good to use?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Which stages is Marth best at? I assume stages like Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, etc. are good, and FD is good unless you're up against a Falco, but I'm trying to figure out options for counterpicking and against what characters.

Thanks ^^

EDIT: Didn't really help me... >_> Many of the posts there conflict with each other.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Which stages is Marth best at? I assume stages like Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, etc. are good, and FD is good unless you're up against a Falco, but I'm trying to figure out options for counterpicking and against what characters.

Thanks ^^

EDIT: Didn't really help me... >_> Many of the posts there conflict with each other.
Marth is best at all neutral stages other than Dreamland. Period. It's personal preference and character choice.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I dunno, Rainbow Cruise is not that great...

Honestly, I don't think Dreamland is that bad for Marth. I like the openness while retaining platforms, plus the sides are nice for ledgetechs. No free fsmash tippers is not that big of a deal, and the wind is only a minor annoyance.

Irow

Smash Ace
Dreamland isn't that bad for Marth, it's just that other characters are a lot better on that stage.

Like, I would never take a Falcon to that stage.

Ever.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
What if someone pointed a gun to your head and was like... "Pick Dreamland, or I will blow your brains out?"

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I dunno, Rainbow Cruise is not that great...

Honestly, I don't think Dreamland is that bad for Marth. I like the openness while retaining platforms, plus the sides are nice for ledgetechs. No free fsmash tippers is not that big of a deal, and the wind is only a minor annoyance.
Rainbow Cruise isn't a neutral is a CP stage. Marth doesn't gain any advantages on most counterpick stages when compared to other characters. I agree with Irow on Dreamland. I don't mind Dreamland, but most characters fair much better against Marth on that stage. It's a valid pick if your opponent is aggressive and you can camp the edges somewhat. If they are a campy player though it can take forever to kill them.

Now I have a question. Ledgehop nairing. If you ledgehop nair into a shield, is it better to fastfall l-cancel to dash/roll/spotdodge/whatever. Or is it better to just get the most horizontal distance let the nair autocancel and do the same thing. The timing for both are pretty close together so I can never figure out what is your best choice to avoid getting grabbed oos.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
DL is the worst neutral by far for marth. realistically, its not very good for him either. the platforms height simply **** what he usually does to most characters.

arcnatural for your question on ledgehop nairing you don't want to simply use one thing unless your playing a noob. regardless you shouldn't depend on one thing i'm sure you know that. but if i were to say the best option would have to be doing nair to spot dodge or grab.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Huh, I coulda sworn that Rainbow Cruise was a neutral. That clears a lot of things up.

Why would you nair a shield? Why not just ledgedash through?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
just ledgedash with the invincibility and then react to them and do stuff

grab, d-tilt, f-smash, wavedash, roll, and aerials all constitute as stuff

IrArby

Smash Ace
But you can't just bypass ledgehop nair as an option and always ledgedash.

Arcnatural, my suggestion would be that if your going for reach into the stage then you'll want to use fair instead of nair anyway. If you're going for the long reach like that then your opponent is probably anticipating your recovery and trying to bait a bad one. Ledgehop late fair IMO leaves you more options once you leave the edge whereas ledgehop nair is all or nothing.
What I'm getting at is, I think fair is a better option if their shielding at a distance (if you're going for reach I mean). However, if they're close up I would use L-canceled Nair as you'll get the Nair out as fast as possible.

I'm not sure if the 2nd swipe of an Autocanceled Nair really comes out completely but I do remember reading a post saying that Cactuar had said the Autocancled Nair should end fast enough for you grab them out of their shield. Is that enough time to run past their shield and avoid the ShGR? IDK

So in short, ask Cactuar.

I hope all of that made sense and I don't look like a noob again.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
^he makes a good point with using the fair if your trying to space your self out at a distance.

reallistically, approaching the opponent with a nair from the ledge is used really is only good when the opponent is off guard, pressure play, or if they have landing lag from a move that they have done so you can catch them with both hits.

i would never try to properly space the nair from the ledge because it can be easily predicted and punished so fair is the better option.

switch it up. Mindgames.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
It makes sense. Fair is always better if they are spaced sheilding or if they are dash dancing out of range. I tend to use nair if they shffl an attack right at the edge and I know I still have my invicibility frames. Or if I know they are trying to CC the edge around mid %. But sometimes they will land and shield (or just shield if they CC) before I ledgehop. Which is why I was curious to which is better.

So in short, I know fair and wavelands are the way to go for the most part. But there are certain times where you might nair instead.

It is just one of those questions where I'm not sure it matters if you do one or the other. Except I think I have trouble accurately fastfalling Marth's ledgehop aerials.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
When you do a ledgehop d-air to spike a recovering opponent, what's the best button combination to use to do that? I've seen some people get it out ridiculously fast.

The button combination I used to use was X and c-stick, but I realized I can get the d-air out much faster by using X and Z+Down on the control stick. Problem is, I don't always make it onto the stage, so do I just need to practice it a lot or can someone give me some advice on how to get this down?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
When you do a ledgehop d-air to spike a recovering opponent, what's the best button combination to use to do that? I've seen some people get it out ridiculously fast.

The button combination I used to use was X and c-stick, but I realized I can get the d-air out much faster by using X and Z+Down on the control stick. Problem is, I don't always make it onto the stage, so do I just need to practice it a lot or can someone give me some advice on how to get this down?
I can show you tomorrow. Buttons don't really matter though it's more about practice. Don't forget though I don't get out til 4:30 at work, and my work also prevents any phone calls. (text messages work though)

Smash Journeyman
I was messing around with doing a Bair on someone in the air infront of you or on a platform. And it seems to combo well into a Fsmash or Dair. Is there any time a bair would be the best aerial to launch someone (aside from when they're behind you)? And if there is what would be a good set up for this?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
When would be good times to implement wavedashing and dashdancing into my game?
Everyone tends to do them for show first (ie after a stock). I would recommend using both as camping methods. Dash forward or stand still if they shffl an approach either wavedash back and attack/grab or dash dance back and attack/grab.

Once you get the basic concept and use it effectively you can try to expand on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom