• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
i've done the f-smash through platforms on DL (because i spent a few minutes finding the right spacing) but comps also love to drop into smashes.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
i've done the f-smash through platforms on DL (because i spent a few minutes finding the right spacing) but comps also love to drop into smashes.
I've found that it only happens right when they miss a tech (thus making their hitbox go SLIGHTLY below the platform).

K, question. This DOES work in a match if used sparingly and you have good predicting skills (or you know your opponents bad tech habits).

So what I like to do with Captain Falcon (on fox/falco at least) is d-throw, turn around charge up down smash. This will work depending on your position, and they'll take a smack right into the face. (I've seen Isai do this many times, and it works wonders)

While I realize that Marth's dsmash sucks but in a few matches I've done dthrow to ACCIDENTAL dsmash against a Fox, and it worked (surprising us both). It does a decent amount of damage, however the lag prevented me from doing anything afterwards (lol).

Still, the dsmash is stupid good at killing vertically. Like... REALLY good. Thoughts?

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
lol dsmash

if your going to predict the tech then just go with fsmash or another grab against fox/falco/falcon even.

dsmash spacing is inconsistent and difficult, if you want to do it then go for it, but fsmash tipper or just fsmash is WAY more reliable.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
D-Smash comes out faster.

In general, I use it to knock people away and give me some elbow room for several seconds. If you can get the tipper, which is like the tipper F-Smash in Brawl, literally (it's that hard), then more power to you. It's stronger than the F-Smash.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
D-Smash comes out faster.

In general, I use it to knock people away and give me some elbow room for several seconds. If you can get the tipper, which is like the tipper F-Smash in Brawl, literally (it's that hard), then more power to you. It's stronger than the F-Smash.
Wow really? Dsmash power > Fsmash? I guess the only difference is that Dsmash is harder to hit, and sends you vertically instead of horizontally like the fsmash.

I've actually been trying to incorporate his dsmash (and god forbid his usmash) more into my marth game. We'll see how it goes.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Chances of a tipped dsmash are about as slim as doing the wombo combo in teams.

good luck landing the tipped dsmash.
Oh I will. I will...

What do you guys think of Marth's jab resets? I actually used to think he had a bad tap reset, but it's actually really good. Its range is too good. I personally just use "A" but I've seen some people use dtilt at low percentages.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
i think your chances would be better with the fully charged tipped fsmash than dsmash.

the spacing for the dsmash is really difficult to see and your taking the chance of messing up whereas spacing the fsmash is much easier.

if you don't know your spacing with fsmash then go practice nubs.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
The one thing I find useful for dsmash is high % get up or rolls off the ledge. As long as you time the downsmash to hit if they just get up, it tends to get both the get up and roll pretty well.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
ummm so go for a tipped dsmash against a jigs that missed a rest?
Charged B > Both of them?

Question about that:
It has enough power so that if Jiggs doesn't shield, it'll die, right?
Also, if Jiggs DOES shield, she'll go straight up and die anyways.

Jiggs only option is to powershield right?

Falcinho

Smash Ace
Since i watched some Marth dittos between Cosmo and Tink, i CC downsmash if hes at high %ages and im really low =D

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Down smash is definitely the best at killing sleeping Jigglypuffs. It sends them straight up so they can't double stick tech it (yes, I've actually had that problem before). It really isn't that hard to tip. D-smash is also really useful for catching opponents who like to dash dance in and out of your range. It's really usefull for getting back on the stage to on smaller stages (just waveland->d-smash). It's a really underrated move.

And yes, sweetspotted upsmash is sexy. Upsmash combos on platforms is like the coolest thing ever (and actually a much better way of killing than F-smash, just much harder to combo into.)

Then again, I'm like one of the weirdest Marth players in Florida anyway. I use up B as a staple to my play, and use side B for...occasional shield pressure. Really Marth doesn't have any bad moves (shieldbreaker is totally underrated), it's just that his good ones outshine his average ones by far.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You can still double stick tech dsmashes... it just stops working at lower percentages. You could always SDI and ASDI to tech it.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You can't SDI down while you are grounded (even if you SDI up first) and ASDI does not send you far enough after even 40% (the percentage that Jiggs dies from a fully charged downsmash).

So no, you cannot SDI to tech it. And ASDI is part of double stick teching, but it's still not enough simply because you are sent too high on the first frame to actually reach the ground. It's not like I'm just some scrub trying to get everyone to use downsmash you know. I actually do my homework and came to the conclusion that it is actually more rewarding...for this situation. Shield Breaker's trajectory is too low, and I really have encountered that problem multiple times against the Jigglypuffs that I play.

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
Yea marth has no bad moves. I use all his moves, ppl aren't used to the different moves that you do. I love using up smash to kill, ppl always go wtf lol. I also made my own combo into a tippered upsmash on some characters, depending on DI of course. I use forward b to stop ppl in their tracks, and its a fun move to pop them up with it to w/e if they aren't expecting it. Fun fun.

So dark sonic, jiggs dies at 40% wen asleep with fully charged tippered dsmash even with full di? I tried it b4, but jiggs didnt die. Maybe I didnt fully tipper. O_o

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
So dark sonic, jiggs dies at 40% wen asleep with fully charged tippered dsmash even with full di? I tried it b4, but jiggs didnt die. Maybe I didnt fully tipper. O_o
Sorry, that was without DI. With full DI it's more like 50% or something. It still kills earlier than Shieldbreaker.

I too use upsmash in combos, particularly on stages with high platforms like YS and BF. Up throw->uair(continue uairing while moving up the platforms)->waveland tippered up smash is too good. And when people start DIing out of that, just use f-smash instead (it still combos most of the time).

Win-win.:laugh:

IrArby

Smash Ace
Upsmash actually hits characters on top of the two side platforms of DL so I use it alot there and anticipate the tech to Upair when possible.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Well I mean you could use trajectory DI to make yourself fly as close to the ground as possible, then ASDI into it to tech.

And I didn't think you were a noob, I was just making sure that it was viable before learning to use it =P

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Yeah I know, what I was saying was that even with full DI you're not close enough to the ground for ASDI to make you tech.

I'm currently trying to find more uses for shieldbreaker. Specifically, safe ways to actually wear down shields with it. So far the safest uses for shieldbreaker (for actually hitting shields at least) are when they are on a platform above you. I use it to wear down their shield enough so that they'd have to angle it to prevent shieldstabbing from other moves. And coincidentally this makes for a very nice mixup, since I can throw out another shieldbreaker and break their shield altogether if they chose to just angle their shield and wait for an uptilt/uair. So their best bet would be to jump off of the platform...but then you're stuck above a Marth and you can't shield in the air.

That's pretty much the only shield pressure situation I've really gotten with Shieldbreaker though. I've had a little success just throwing it out when my opponent is going to whiff an aerial (like a dash backwards and do a reverse shieldbreaker) and they often shield it (which is good), but it's not exactly safe on block (which is bad), so people wavedash out of their shield and punish it once they catch on.

Grrr....

Really I'm just trying a bunch of things outside Marth's already established metagame to see if we could be missing anything. Up B and up smash have really helped my game, and I really just want to see if we've "missed" any really good uses for Marth's moves.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I use Shield Breaker pretty much only to finish off shields that are already low. Crossover aerial reverse Shield Breakers are pretty cool for that =P

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
who are the top 5 hardest people to beat with marth because i hate how he is set up to him to always completely out range me woth every one of my mains ICs, pichu , bowser, J-puff

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
oh...is that what he was asking for? i started reading th erest of the sentence then i realized its no ta sentence.

C.J.

Smash Master
Hey, I've been playing Brawl since its release, and I'm just now getting into Melee. Kinda backwards, I know. Anyways, I main Marth in Brawl and want to continue maining him in Melee as well and was curious as to key differences between the two versions of him. Also, I was told his spike is much easier. Is the tip hitbox bigger or i it not required to tip in order for it to spike?
Thanks.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
no you need to tip it..its easier to combo into...you can fair --> dair, bair --> dair...dthrow --> dair....fvck anything to dair really

but if you are new to melee, you really should figure other things out first, like wavedashing and L canceling

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Actually the dair is something I've never understood. It seems way easier to hit with the dair tipper than the fsmash tipper. Who knows.

Marth in Melee is faster, has the grab range of God, has a longer sword, has a much harder short hop double aerial, a slightly weaker fsmash, a much less useful usmash, a fair that doesn't kill, but combos, weaker aerials all around, autocanceling nairs, Dolphin Slash that can be reversed to be a better kill move, Dancing Blade that helps recovery, Shield Breaker that doesn't, but can be used to edge guard, dtilt semi-spike... oh and he never trips.

That's all I can think of for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom