• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
JBM: We're playing wifi brawl sometime, k?
Although this probably won't be until sometime later next week, since I'm currently playing Brawl on someone else's wii.

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
Uhh well lemme get this straight because I didn't read your entire story.

You play marth and wanna know how to fight ganon is that right?

Also why did you type cactuar at the end of your post?

>_> Cactus never posts anyway <_<
I was told that if I just added Cactuar anywhere in a post, that he would pop up.

I know that he is phenominal.

Also, as for the approaching with marth thread, there is nothing specifically for Ganon. I was hoping for a specific trick.

Guess not.

Emblem Lord, those threads really helped though. :]

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Okay, so against most characters I can space out my aerials so that I won't get grabbed out of them, even if they do get shielded. In any case, I L-cancel, so I can have a frame advantage over the shielder.

What do I do after I L-cancel though? Is there a way I can hit them out of their grab attempt or should I just roll away or grab or something?

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Okay, so against most characters I can space out my aerials so that I won't get grabbed out of them, even if they do get shielded. In any case, I L-cancel, so I can have a frame advantage over the shielder.

What do I do after I L-cancel though? Is there a way I can hit them out of their grab attempt or should I just roll away or grab or something?
You could jab, or dtilt. I suppose you could wait for the grab, then punish with anything you want, accordingly. If they don't grab, I guess you could rush up and grab, or dash dance to bait them, then punish. Maybe if you're feeling audacious, you could run past and pivot grab if you're close enough, or alternately tree grab. ^_^

I'm not sure if any of Marth's moves are fast enough to actually hit the opponent before the grab comes out. Check the marth frame data list. It also depends on how early/late the fair hits.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
"I use nair a lot vs ganon, and tech chase with fthrow and dthrow all day. Look for opportunities to tipper uairs at low percents to start combos."

wiggles still plays this game huh?

nair ***** ganon...perfect weight to combo and seems to hit better tahn fair..i think it's because ganon doesn't have many fast moves out of shield.

i techchase ganon a bunch too...i have to admit though that the jabs out of tech piss me off more than most other char..i think it's because i can't just dashdance dodge the jab and then grab...it just comes out to fast..i suppose i'm supposed to dashdance to pivot fsmash or space farther out on the dash (though if i was spacing farther out i wouldn't really be putting much pressure on him)..i think what i usually do is try to nair chase and hit over the jab..but then sometimes i can get shieldgrabbed if the spacing is off (happens more than i liek when techchasing....not too good at techchasing ganon yet...got my first 3 hrs of practice at the matchup though)

who is your brother wiggles? I thought he didn't play competitively?

pwnsauce

Smash Rookie
How long did it generally take people to get used to the Brawl version of Marth as compared to the Melee version? I got the game today and I'm having a hard time switching between with the range-nerf and the slightly slower gameplay, and was wondering how long it took others to become fully comfortable.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
How long did it generally take people to get used to the Brawl version of Marth as compared to the Melee version? I got the game today and I'm having a hard time switching between with the range-nerf and the slightly slower gameplay, and was wondering how long it took others to become fully comfortable.
Wouldn't this be a better question for the Brawl boards?

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
melee ***** brawl in everyway, marth from melee took a trip to brawl, and everyone in brawl died by tripping into his tipper : )

King Eggy

Smash Rookie
Hi,

I'm new on this forum and I have been playing ssbm for 1 month now.
My favorite character is, without doubt, MARTH!!!
But if having being dying to know... Is Marth the best ssbm character???
And if not, who is? And what is Marth position on the list of best ssbm characters???
And with 'best' i meen hardest to defeat in a melee 1 vs 1 battle.
thanx for replying

greetz

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
Marth is in the High tier character I believe. The top two according to the tier are the two space animals Fox and Falco. As for being hard to defeat I think Marth may be your guy. If your just starting out (which it sounds like you are) Work on your spacing with your sword use your aerial moves and grabs to approach With keep the opponent at the tip of your sword because thats where most the damage is done. *Marth's grab range is about as long as his sword so abuse that too*.The Marth forums also have some great stickys Like the marth guide, these Q&A threads, theres a beginners guide which you should check out and theres an approaching guide that will probly help you out too! Happy smashing :D

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me please for the super nooby question but...

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThI1ykOubwE -> What does Ken do at 0:42???
I cant seem to do it, i know its not a dashdance (Marths dashdance is shorter right?,) and i think its also not wavedancing (because he is turning around in the dash animation instead of moving backwards facing forward).

So plz tell me, what is it?

Thank you

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Wait this is not the Brawl boards... this is the melee boards... right?

Here it says that it is the melee boards... Melee Character specific / Marth. Thats exactly what it says... unless someone changed it or something.

By the way, are you sure it is dashdancing?, Marths dashdance is shorter i think... like in 0:42 he does a long dash backwards and then forwards, exactly like in a dashdance, but the dash is longer... a normal dashdance doesnt move you backwards and forwards as much.

Are you sure man?

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Yeah exactly... how do i do that?, because if i simply dash longer backwards and then forwards, marth goes into the slow sliding and turning around animation that we all know, but the way Ken does it, marth turns around as fast as when you normally dashdance with Marth (u know... the short fast dashdance), but hes covering much more distance... is that pivot or something?

Plz help :)

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Oh for fuking crying out loud people get out of the god dammed brawl forums and help here plz... this is a better game anyway...

So, how does Ken achieve such a large lag-less dashdance? Any help would be appreciated.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Marth's initial dash is pretty long, so you can actually dash dance for a fairly large distance. It's all about timing and knowing when the initial dash actually ends.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Thank you guys.... im glad hat people keep helping other Marth mains here in Melee.... by the way Witschking of Angmar... do you live here in Germany?, if so, where?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ahhh.

Nostalgia. So many memories in the Marth forums.

And now it's done. Now...hehe..now I have to deal with a deluge of people constantly thinking they know better then me in the Brawl forums.

Ha. Such a hassle, but I'll do what I have to in order to advance Marth's metagame in Brawl.

Maybe I'll check up on Melee Marth forums everyonce and awhile.

I hope I helped some people and I hope some of you were able to take your game to a higher level of play and understanding after reading my post.

I also apologize to those who were waiting for me to critique thier vids in my Marth vid critiqueing thread. I was just so hyped for Brawl and there was ALOT of other stuff going on in my life at the time, that I could no longer keep up with the thread.

Ok, then, that's all I wanted to say I guess.

See ya Melee Marth forum. This place gave me a chance to share my ideas and thoughts and gave me alot of confidence in my abilities. And almost every single person that read what I had to say gave me props and really made me feel good about myself.

Thank you for that.

Later~ EL

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I helped take this thread over :)

LOL na jk EL your awesome >_<.

I learned some stuff and helped a lot of people using this thread.

That and answered the questions you clearly did not want to answer yourself LOL.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Bah... it makes me sad.

Melee is a better game... we should keep playing it :(.

Thx for the help Emblem Lord, i asked almost nichts, but all the answers to all the other people here that asked really helped me improve.

Thanks man

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
Hey quick question and i wasn't able to find it in this thread here. I was reading in another thread a while ago about chain grabbing spacies. I know to continue the chain grab at certain percents you can use the U-tilt. Sometimes when i try this I just end up knocking them away. Is the best spot to hit them with the very tip ?. I also read that you should use a reverse U-tilt in the chain grab what exactly is a reverse U-tilt?.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
It's a little complicated. You have to pay attention to DI. If they DI away or fully behind you (DI forward) then you can usually just regrab or uptilt or reverse uptilt to regrab where you would want to hit with the tip.

Most Fox/Falcos, however, know the best way to get out of CGs (and to avoid being Fsmash tippered) will either not DI at all or DI slightly behind you. In those cases you need to reverse uptilt in order to regrab them. Reverse uptilting is exactly what it sounds like, your facing one direction and you reverse your direction and uptilt.

The tipping for the DI slightly behind is also a bit awkward. Since when you turn around your tipping area is much larger. Anywhere near the back Marth's head and slightly behind him results in a tipped uptilt in this situation if you time it right.

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
It's a little complicated. You have to pay attention to DI. If they DI away or fully behind you (DI forward) then you can usually just regrab or uptilt or reverse uptilt to regrab where you would want to hit with the tip.

Most Fox/Falcos, however, know the best way to get out of CGs (and to avoid being Fsmash tippered) will either not DI at all or DI slightly behind you. In those cases you need to reverse uptilt in order to regrab them. Reverse uptilting is exactly what it sounds like, your facing one direction and you reverse your direction and uptilt.

The tipping for the DI slightly behind is also a bit awkward. Since when you turn around your tipping area is much larger. Anywhere near the back Marth's head and slightly behind him results in a tipped uptilt in this situation if you time it right.
Thank you very much. that's very informative. Hopefully I'll get to try it out later tonight.
K so I got to play my buddy's Fox last night for like 4-5 hours. I'm starting to get the hang of it. what percent do you fnd you have to stop grabbing at?? it seemed like any time I got a grab in at around 18% and after if I didnt U-tilt then he just lands on the ground with no or little DI. Am I just messing up my timing or is that roughly when i should start the reverse U-tilt.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
After 18% you need to move to grab him. Either by, grabbing, pivot grabbing (if he doesn't DI or DIing slightly behind you) or by dash JC grabbing him if he DIs left or right. You can't really safely uptilt regrab until I think around low 30%. I usually stop CGing after 45-49% or so. You can however uptilt at a lower percent to Fsmash or dash attack since it's pretty difficult to tech if you uptilt just before he hits the ground.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Counter is really not a good move. It goes into effect on frame seven. The jab comes out on frame four as does the fair. You might as well use those as they combo much better.

I don't know why you're close enough to Pikachu to get dsmashed anyway. Space it out with dtilts and such, and grab when he's too close for comfort.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
does anyone have any vids of a reverse ken combo (bair to dair)

and can anyone give me tips for comboing ffers like fox
what i do is uthrow > utilt > grab, utilt, uair, fsmash combos, but its kinda hard to constantly have the utilt to hit at the right angle tht wud keep the opponent within distance to follow the combo. I'm not very good at fair comboin ffers, its much easier with flotys so does anyone have any tips?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You kinda have to follow their DI for combos... you can always dash attack to pop them up for more combo'ing, it's a little safer than normal since they can't shield in the air.

If you're trying to combo fastfallers, try using tippered fairs instead of softspotted ones. Works pretty good.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Two questions:

First, is wavedashing after a throw namely f-throw any faster than a dash after a f-throw.

Secondly, is it a common techniue to f-throw and then wavedash to jab/f-tilt. Obviously this only works if they aren't low enough to tech so it depends on thier DI and the % but I've found the fthrow>wavedash>jab works well as a reset on your opponent and if you replace the jab with a ftilt it can set up for edgeguards. ****! I just got an idea! Fthrow to reversed UpB. Sounds really situational but I'll try it out now.

Thanks in advance

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
If it's faster, it's not by much. It's used mostly because it gives you more options.

I've seen fthrow to wavedash fsmash, not jab so much and almost never ftilt. Seems like it'd be better to grab or fair or something.

If you fthrow to Dolphin Slash, you don't need to wavedash, since you can JC a dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom