• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
thanks Arcnatural for teh tips!
kk now i have falco troubles which is not kool at all. When i am versing this particular falco, i take to the air (because of them dam lazers) and try to fight him with my fairs. Once i am in range, he reverse SHLs me so that i am no longer in range. He then combos me like crazy after....what do i do?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
How exactly do you do the Isai platform drop, where you can drop down really quickly after SHFFLing an aerial onto a platform? It looks really, really useful.
Isai drop is done by pressing forward then down on the platform, instead of just down.

Irow

Smash Ace
Get a grab in against a Falco, proceed to chaingrab that hoe, and tip him afterwards. If you have trouble avoiding lasers, I advise you to go read the guide on it. Falco is a really hard match for Marth, a little less than Fox - but that's just my own personal thoughts. But once you get the grab in, it really is about the same against Falco than it is against Fox. The percents for uptilts are different though, and it is much easier to kill Falco than Fox.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You can try Cactuar's autocancel nair approach instead of the fair as well, since you'll be able to act almost immediately upon hitting the ground. Otherwise, you can fair early and waveland towards him as a surprise.

Mostly, just mix it up. Throw in a Dancing Blade so you float over his first laser and see if you can reach him with a fair as you fall. Remember, if you can connect with just one hit, you'll be able to do some pretty major damage from combos.

Irow

Smash Ace
I wouldn't recommend Fair-Waveland. The lasers will hit you, and you will get punished. If you're coming from above, make sure to DI back and Fair, that way you won't get naired or lasered.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
thanks Arcnatural for teh tips!
kk now i have falco troubles which is not kool at all. When i am versing this particular falco, i take to the air (because of them dam lazers) and try to fight him with my fairs. Once i am in range, he reverse SHLs me so that i am no longer in range. He then combos me like crazy after....what do i do?
This goes towards improving your mindset. Once your in range, he almost always runs away. There should be some point where you should know he is going to be running away. I almost always go for dash attacks or wavedashing in with the shield up to keep the pressure if I think they are going to rshl. I happen to be pretty decent at waveshielding and powershielding. Imo it's critical to be able to do these smoothly against a campy Falco, especially on FD. I often dashdance to attempted powershield laser (regardless if I get the powershield or not) to a wavedash to close the space. If they approach after the first rshl I normally mix it up between wavedashing back, countering, or shielding to w/e I decide. You can not mess up grab opportunities on good Falcos.

So against aggressive Falco's I tend to try to follow Cactuar's advice of trying to maintain 1/2 wavedash length from the Falco when I'm not approaching or retreating. Against camping Falco's you need to be able to not let lasers phase you and keep the pressure on them. Which I do mainly with fulljump approaches and waveshielding approaches. Learning the stun lag from lasers is an incredible tactic for this, as you can often fulljump aerials/sh aerials into lasers then if they approach you can often get out a fair before they can hit you.

As always, it is a must to control the edges in this match. If you can get a grab and get Falco off the stage as Marth you need to capitalize. I recommend you read EL's thread about dealing with Falco's lasers that B-Will has stickied.

greenpika

Smash Cadet
I'm having trouble fighting my friend, who's a Falco. He doesn't fight with all those combos and shffls and other advanced techniques, he just smashes and does his "Meteor Crash", where he jumps and does a Firefox to the ground. Then he blasts me every time I try to approach him. Any good ideas?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Shield the smash if he's close and shield grab him, if he's not close just grab him out of it anyway, but without the shielding part. If he jumps and then up Bs, just hit him out of it. You have a sword, why not use it? U-tilts do a great job on the ground, and in the air you can fair, or uair him for some easy combos. You could also just go the edge of his up Bs range and then just watch him do it. Then grab him.

Grabs are good.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Yeah, if he does the Firebird, hit him out of it while he's charging. Try to combo him to the ledge if you can, because then he'll be out of his double jump and his recovery is toast.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Arcnatural: You should come to the next big VA tourney (Press Start?) if you're willing to travel - I'd like to have some Marth ditto friendlies with you. Yeah it's kinda random... xP

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
My main issue is money unfortunately. I can drive, but since I don't have a real job my funds lack the ability to allow me to travel well. I am currently looking for a real full time job, but unfortunately I think Brawl will be fully underway or I may have to relocate before I can recieve the appropriate funds to travel farther than going to NYC. Only tournament I really go to is the Mass Biweekly if YOU can travel :p.

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
kk thanks arcnatural earlier! i hope it ll help teh next time i verse this falco
another thing, i dunt really think theres a difference in reverse dolphin slash and normal dolphin slash is there?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I know the reverse dolphin slash is easier to land. I forget why, might be the actual hitbox, might be slightly closer to Marth's body or something like that. I think it's because the hitbox is a little longer, but anyway I'm pretty sure that the reverse upB is easier to hit with.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i thought it was the position of the blade during the dolphin slash, the part that is actually low to the ground is behind you normally so to sweetspot with the front you'd have to have the opponent in the air above you i think? meh i can't remember..but it is a lot easier...and a far more effective move than shieldgrab at higher percents on char when the shieldgrab fails (sheik!!!!!!)

IrArby

Smash Ace
While standing, the blade strikes initially behind and beneath you so you have to be dashdancing (Im pretty sure) to actually hit someone with the reverse UpB onstage. Normal UpB is easier to hit with but is either harder to sweetspot or has less knockback (I'm pretty sure).

Besides, when I use it to be flashy as a combo ender offstage its gotta be reversed or else you maynot make it back to safety. Slow plumit to death combo is not kosher.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Q: Who are Marth players most challenged by/who is best to use against Marth?
If your asking about marth's bad match ups...

They are Sheik and CF in a nutshell....

Fox goes pretty even with marth, DK is a weird match up too.

Marth does pretty good on practically all of the characters.... <_<

IrArby

Smash Ace
As Marth, if a space animal is pillaring down your shield is it possible to CC the dair, take the hit(s) and get a grab/jab in before they L-Cancel - Shine. Also, when is the best time to attempt a shieldgrab in same situation. Frankly I forget.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
question: marth vs jiggs...

I find that ftilt connects very well if they are still a ways out when you miss your fair and they are planning to punish..or sometimes you can L-cancel into ftilt without even waiting to see what they do and they just run into it...

but what about jab vs the over b? should i use those to actually catch a jiggs that is trying to punish my missed fair?

which has higher priority? because over b combos to uptilt or kills sometimes and so would be much better but i get the feeling...the priority/range or something is less..

anyways thoughts are appreciated..i've incorportated uptilt as a way of punishing jiggs that try to come in high after a missed fair..but better jiggs play low and try to horizontally space out your fair

and ya ftilt, jab and over b i think are the best options when you can't or dont' feel like rolling away...they all come out in roughly the same time?...i definitely prefer ftilt when they didn't space the punish well enough..but i feel like jab or over-b are safer when you have little time..but they may just be a misperception/fear that jiggs may absorb the ftilt then nair or combo somehow

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I personally would over b, it seems to pop them up rather them simply push them away like his jab does.

I honestly have no idea which has higher priority but in my experience its worked fine.

Oddly, I like to stick to the ground mostly in this matchup, alot of my jumps are empty short hops against jiggly...If the jigglypuff is out spacing your f-air, I'd either start overshooting or wavelanding into things.

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
thanks everyone for teh reverse up b stuff XD
what does everyone think about teh combo mew2king does at teh end? teh one with fair - up b, is that going to be a new technique everyones going to use or not?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqEzsgW0Cmw&feature=related

and heres a question that applies to all characters but i ll ask it here,
how do u improve your mindgames when u have no one to verse? im lacking alot of mindgames from what people tell me, any clues to help>?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
just wanted to say that i too play a ground game against jiggs..i like dashdance camping and going for grabs..the early damage off throws is too good..once i get above kill percent (due to them DIing the kill throw correctly due to that worthless 50% chance stuff), then i switch to aerials and try to just rack up enough damage to nair kill or something...i also start trying to catch them retreating with a ftilt..because bad DI means an easier kill

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Mindgames aren't actually that important.

Its actually more about what you should

1) What to watch out for

2) What to look for

3) Avoiding bad habits

4) Punishing any visible habits

Mindgames is pretty much tricking your opponent.

The only things you can do to trick your opponent is to play ledge games, dash dance, or empty hop.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Okay, a few questions about Ice Climbers.

What should I be aware of in terms of getting grabbed? I can space and L-cancel well enough so that I won't get shieldgrabbed, but would an IC use desynched Blizzards to clip me into a grab?

Also, what are the chainthrows I should be expect? I've seen dthrow to dair, which is DI'd down and away to escape, but I played against Wobbles and he did this weird fthrow to wavedash grab (from Nana) Granted, this was as Sheik, but I'd never seen it before and I'm wondering if it was doable.

Last question. How should I be separating the ICs?

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Okay, a few questions about Ice Climbers.

What should I be aware of in terms of getting grabbed? I can space and L-cancel well enough so that I won't get shieldgrabbed, but would an IC use desynched Blizzards to clip me into a grab?

Also, what are the chainthrows I should be expect? I've seen dthrow to dair, which is DI'd down and away to escape, but I played against Wobbles and he did this weird fthrow to wavedash grab (from Nana) Granted, this was as Sheik, but I'd never seen it before and I'm wondering if it was doable.

Last question. How should I be separating the ICs?
I have no idea how to fight Ice Climbers lol.:( All I do is pretty much spam spaced shffl'd fairs and dtilt to try and poke them away. I pretty much camp them at close range.

This is probably a horrible strategy, so help me too, all you good marth players! ^_^

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I have no idea how to fight Ice Climbers lol.:( All I do is pretty much spam spaced shffl'd fairs and dtilt to try and poke them away. I pretty much camp them at close range.

This is probably a horrible strategy, so help me too, all you good marth players! ^_^

Wellll..... thats what I do too LOL.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=45aWfgoi_bw

Thats KDJ(marth) vs Chu(Icz) and KDJ does lotsa f-airs and d-tilts.

He also does quite a few n-airs.

N-airs usually seperate the ICz really well.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
I play almost pro. gotta do mlg in the future, but I need help. I cant seem to get a nice combo with marth. CF is nothing but combos, and falco as well, but my marth just seems to make isolated attacks that build damage over a long and unorganized period of time.

HELP! plz. give me some sweet advivce on generally good combos. like how do you set up your combos etc... (how do you prefer to set up your dair spike?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom