• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Ok lol I know its like ridiculous fun but the Ken combo is not a premiere combo to go for.

If you fight a peach that floats and won't come down with an attack just short hop f-air to hit her then force her to come down.

Usually though since I'm not 100% sure when they are going to attack me (Peach's moves have pretty good priority) I just run away LOL.

If I see them about to attack me I usually just up-tilt to cover the area above me and slightly forward or me.

When I see peach about to land I run over there with usually a shuffl f-air or D-tilt to add pressure.

Don't get too aggressive vs peach early game especially. She will CC D-smash which could throw you away somewhere so that she can start to camp you.

Oh thats another thing if she isn't in the air try not to stay too far from her.

Turnip camping is annoying.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well Marth vs Ganon weird lol.

But in general stay away from ganon while ganon is in the air. Its to dangerous and risky to do much anything.

Just space your attacks and use hit and run tactics. Be careful going for grabs because if ganon takes flight you won't be in a happy place.

A ganon with good DI is really hard to kill sometimes too. Try to hit him off the stage without resorting to f-smash. That way they die no questions preferably after their wizard kick ends.

Vs CF switch to fox

Vs Roy switch to Sheik

Sadly i just don't have that much experience with marth :(

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
HALL of Fame

Well for those people who have wonder what D.A has been up to for all these yrs and what not everyone take a look at the link that i am about to give to you its the dawn of a new era people the return of D.A. This link sends you too our site that has our latest content called " HALL OF FAME" IT's a section on our site dedicated to all the smashers that mastered thier characters and repped thier characters to the point that all the knew who they are and called them the best or one of the best with thier character(s) so with out further or due i bring to you the hall of fame: http://smashguardians.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=173&Itemid=28. Note that if anyone has any pictures of any of the players listed on the hall of fame just send DA and emial or emial me at: lewdawes@aol.com hope everyone enjoys peace.

Shadowex3

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have any tips on pulling off marth's aerials really quickly one after the other? I know button mashing punishes you with a delay, but where is it best in each animation to start on another attack (ie attack out of the dtilt as soon as he pulls the sword back)?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Anyone have any tips on pulling off marth's aerials really quickly one after the other? I know button mashing punishes you with a delay, but where is it best in each animation to start on another attack (ie attack out of the dtilt as soon as he pulls the sword back)?
I've never heard of button mashing increasing your delay other than when you try to tech before you hit the wall or ground or l-canceling. It's just that unless you have really fast spamming skills you most likely will be slow in getting the move out if you just hit A or B a frame or two before the move can actually come out. Usually people can be more accurate just by learning the timing of the moves. For Marth the most popular things are the dtilt which can be followed up immediately after he pulls the sword back, and the fair which can be repeated or followed with another arial as soon as he (or at least how I look at it) goes to move his shoulders back to the resetted position.

But there are plenty of times where spamming as long as you do it really fast can help you. Such as trying to CC to grab or dtilt. Or doing shffl fairs to uptilts. I almost always hit A twice when performing an uptilt in case I missed the timing, which works because if you did it right the lag of the move doesn't punish you for doing it twice, and if you missed it you should uptilt the second time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen spamming to cause delays when used properly.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
That's a wierd question.

Usually you will spike those in a Ken combo.

In which case the fair would set the opponent up for a spike, and the spike would be very easy to hit with in this case. Just going for spikes won't work against a seasoned player.

Spiking is situational and usually rserved for combos, so that question really has no answer.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
hey I have a question, which characters would you say would be some of the easiest to spike, and some that would be much harder
If you're talking about SHFFL dairing as an edgeguard (which is probably not the best way to edgeguard in most cases), some characters have up-Bs that are hard to spike. For example, Marth/Roy and the Mario brothers fall into this category. Other characters such as Captain Falcon and Ganondorf are much easier to do this with.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Something i noticed w/ marth. Sometimes when doing the ken combo, the lag time isnt always perfect (a good example is mario) although they cant jump out in the lag time they do an attack like marios up b move. Is there any way around this that completes the ken combo into a spike?
Continuing from that though I found an alternate course. I normally end my ken combos w/ a reverse up b rather than a spike because it doesnt allow the character to have any time to move. Although if the chance is there i go for a down air. Should i continue using this method?

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
If you d-tilt edgeguard on Yoshi's Story, should you be ON the tilt at the edges or behind it? I usually like spacing myself back a bit to be safe, but it doesn't work because they tip it at a lower altitude from the d-tilt.

Also, what characters would d-tilt edgeguarding work well on?

There's Marth, Falco, Fox, Link, Y-Link, who else?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I just space myself or at least try to space myself where the tip goes barely off the stage. I guess a bit away from the slope, although I usually end up d-tilting on the slope with relatively some success.

D-tilting as an edgeguard is a really good choice vs a ton of characters.

It doesn't seem to work against DK, Bowser, or Yoshi though. DK and bowser because they seem to just stop the D-tilt with their up-b attack. Yoshi because his double jump enables him to go through attacks without knockback although somethings do seem to affect this.

The other characters that might give you a hard time are the ones with amazing recoveries. Like Pichu, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, m2 lol pokemon.

Sheik and zelda are sorta hard too but it can be done. Although for sheik you probably want to catch the beginning of her up-b and not after the poof. Zelda i dunno *shrugs* but she moves far so f-smash is probably better unless she tries to sweetspot i guess.

Peach is sorta hard too unless she tries to sweetspot you could also go for it too.

Otherwise I'm not sure of other characters that are difficult to do it too. There are too many characters dont wanna think about them all :(. But it does work vs a lot of characters usually the ones that need to sweetspot or would be placed in a better position by sweetspotting.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
How effective would getting up (just tapping the direction towards the stage) and f-smashing backwards be for edgeguarding Sheik?

I'm thinking the getup can edgehog them if they try to go for the ledge (though I'm not sure if it would) and the f-smash can hit them if they go up in chances of you rolling.

I have yet to test this, but I'm trying to see if anyone has any knowledge of this.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
I think this makes more sense:

Keep letting go and regrabbing the edge to keep invincibility frames for as long as possible when Sheik is "making the decision" as to where to go with her up-B. Make it so she can't grab the edge but can't hurt you with the "poof" either because you have invincibility frames. So either you edgehog her normally, or she goes directly up and you still edgehog her, or she lands on the stage and you can edgehop to something then.

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
What stages should I avoid playing on when I'm playing as marth?
Thx Teczero and balladechina212

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
How effective would getting up (just tapping the direction towards the stage) and f-smashing backwards be for edgeguarding Sheik?

I'm thinking the getup can edgehog them if they try to go for the ledge (though I'm not sure if it would) and the f-smash can hit them if they go up in chances of you rolling.

I have yet to test this, but I'm trying to see if anyone has any knowledge of this.
If you stay on the edge and jump off and on so that you would remain invincible to sheik's up-b you can just waveland onto the stage and f-smash the sheik off.

You can do it over and over as long as the sheik is forced to up-b onto the stage, because your f-smash throws your opponent in a trajectory up and away from you so its possible at mid percents that the sheik can just jump or airdodge back onto the stage.

You can also below 100% roll onto the stagd. If you time it right your able to f-smash him out of his landing lag.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
What stages should I avoid playing on when I'm playing as marth?
It really depends on the player.

I dislike FoD because the weird platforms throw off my SH aerials and Marth is tall so characters with broken hitboxes can hit me when I'm under them.

Mute City and any other stage without good edges (or without edges) are bad for Marth because of his high lag time after his up-B.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I would stay away from Counterpick stages.

But really IMO its depends on your opponent's characters your preference and your opponent's play style i suppose.

Try to stage away from counterpicks though.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yeah, overall counter picks are not your friends.

But Mute city is actually good for Marth. No edges = Easy edgeguards for him and spikes through the stage.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yea I disagree for Mute City being advantageous for Marth.

At best the stage hurts both players like maybe Sheik vs Marth but YS is probably a better option.

Also some of marth's spikes may land on the level of Mute City and pop them up.

Marth gains somewhat of an easier time to edgeguard but gets ***** when getting edgeguarded.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well in general it was an example O_O.

And Sheik doesn't do bad but there are better stages for her especially counterpickable stages the idea was to pair marth with another character that doesn't gain a huge advantage on MC like peach or jigglypuff.

But yea sheik doesn't do too bad although I hate using her there.

I personally prefer peach on mute city cuz its gay :laugh:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Eh, for counter picks I don't sue Mute city, just saying it's not horrible for him or anything. He has MUCH worse then Mute city.

Brinstar is pretty solid for him.

IrArby

Smash Ace
I've got a querery about something I saw M2K doing against PC as peach (in the marth video archivs.) I noticed that he used a dash attack on numerous occasions which seemed odd at first because he could easily wavedash and fsmash or wavedash and swipe with A or Ftilt to keep lag down. Then I noticied that the result of his successful dashattacks put pc in the air at a good height for aerial combos. The fact that peach is floaty definetly helps and I'm sure that because it was M2K he really was paying attention to the percents but what I'm really asking is whether the dash attack is used for setting floaties up for shffled combos? I've done this before to someone recovering at the edge or just beyond the stage and used the pop up effect to set them up for an easy spike but it hadn't occured to me that this could be used to start combos.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Dash attack sets up plenty of combo opportunities. I think you answered your own question if you just watched the videos.

marthanoob

Smash Journeyman
When should I time the l-cancel for marth for each of his aerial attacks especially his fair? Is there a good way to practice it in training mode? What are good stages for marth against mario and game&watch?

Kips

Smash Ace
:laugh: While I shouldn't be telling you this considering you and Mac are my main competitors, the best anti-G&W stage is most likely Battlefield. Why? Because Battlefield has platforms that neuter most of G&W's play, protecting you from D-Tilts and making his F-Airs... f-airly predictable. His N-Air should be laggy enough that a SHFF D-Air can hit him with the proper reflexes. The Key-Spike is ridiculously easy to avoid with Marth and to make it worse, G&W's recovery is simply abominable on Battlefield. Due to the nature of the ledge and the fact that it slightly overhangs from the main bulk of the field with absolutely no curve on it, G&W players may actually 'Fire' into the underside of it and Self Destruct. Since it reduces their capability to sweetspot edgecamp and their recovery is otherwise pathetically easy to predict and counter, G&W might as well jump off the edge 5 times. Because we all know that's a secret tech, right Mar?

For Mario I'm not as sure. Due to my maining of G&W it was easy for me to pick a stage that gave Marth relative strengths and gave G&W a plethora of weaknesses. For Mario I would suggest Pokemon Stadium if only to hinder Mac. As you and I both well know, Mac is an extremely reflexive player. Pokemon Stadium in neutral mode will give you a bit of reprieve from his projectiles and will allow you to outrange and outcombat him. The transformations of the stage should allow some unpredictability to the match to the point where Mac shouldn't be able to fight well against you due to the nature of the stage. Mario can't stand up to Marths heavily disjointed hitboxes, especially in the air when you play him right. And I know for a fact that you play him well.

Well, that's all I can offer for now. Thanks for the comment on my thread in my signature. [/ShamelessAdvertisement].

StickyChopstix

Smash Rookie
I was wondering how I should recover against a link about to use his up-b near the edge? It always gets me

IrArby

Smash Ace
Thanks Arcnatural I was somewhat sure of what I was seeing but you'd think it'd be discussed more if its so useful. And if you've seen some responses to the other stuff I've been screwing around with and posting you would be nervous about presuming that dash attacks are good again too. I thought they were just reserved for spamming shieks by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom