• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I want to know which hit have the best range , F-tilt and forward smash?

can i have the IASA of this hit plz

thx
Well I BELIEVE his F-smash because he lunges forward to perform to move. I don't really have frame data so I'll leave that to another member. I'm sure if you go look at m2k's sig you can find some frame data.

I play almost pro. gotta do mlg in the future, but I need help. I cant seem to get a nice combo with marth. CF is nothing but combos, and falco as well, but my marth just seems to make isolated attacks that build damage over a long and unorganized period of time.

HELP! plz. give me some sweet advivce on generally good combos. like how do you set up your combos etc... (how do you prefer to set up your dair spike?)
His grabs and his f-air are his main combo starters.

His n-air can start things too but its harder than his f-air or grab.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Question about Marth's recovery.

Should I hit a fair at the top of my jump to get the boost, or just go with Dancing Blades throughout? It doesn't seem to boost me anymore past the first one... is it just because it's really small?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
You shouldn't ALWAYS do that its a nice idea to do it.

Your F-air should be used to prevent someone from attacking you or trying to force them to roll up onto the stage.

Otherwise just recover regularly trying to sweetspot the edge.

Your dancing blade gives you a boost as long as you only use it once in succession.

After the first dancing blade the next few will give you a drop instead of a boost.

To reset this you have to have marth do his Landing animation.

As in jump up and land or Wavedash etc. L-CANCELED AERIALS WILL NOT RESET THIS.

Jx31

Smash Ace
Stupid question, I don't even think this is possible unless I'm over looking something,but, is there a way to practice spacing by yourself? I only get to play against someone good once every other week so I don't really have to chance to work on it that often. I really need help with spacing since I feel that it's a weakness of mine, which is a horrible thing if you're maining Marth >.<.

Irow

Smash Ace
There isn't really a good way without playing with other people. You can go play against lvl 1's and get a feel for the length of the sword. They'll keep on walking towards you, so just keep hitting them with tips. You'll develop a good sense of how much range each move has.

Of course, spacing out in a real battle can only truly be learned in actual play with a human.

If you're planning on playing Brawl, you might as well forget about learning Melee spacing. Marth's sword length is quite a bit shorter. It's still long, but just not as it was in this game.

jsnydermarth

Smash Rookie
I recently began to pick up ssbm again for the release of brawl. I also learned that marth is good but i have two issues. First is that when I play friends they do lots of rolling as shiek. Since Marth's dsmash is crap, what do you recommend. Also, what has to be done to wavedash/triangle jump

Irow

Smash Ace
Sheik's roll is hella slow. Follow it and grab it. You can use a fair or nair to hit her as well. If you go for the grab, throw her up. Try to follow up, make sure she's in front or above you, and hit her with an aerial if you can't up-tilt her.

If she's just wavedashing around, you can easily read her and hit her with just about any move. It's a matter of preference for me.

Try your best to keep the momentum of the match in your favor, if she starts to get a good hold on you... Sheik will **** you.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I disagree because I think sheik's roll is rather pretty good.

It has pretty good distance and it doesn't take THAT long......

Also D-smash isn't as bad as you think. It will pop up people and if they are roll spamming its not that bad.

I have seen M2K use it to kill people who may possibly roll onto the stage. Because it covers many options its rather nice.

Irow

Smash Ace
I don't like using down smash that much though. If you miss, you can get punished pretty badly because of the wind-down lag.

I do use it hit people if I think they'll tech into me though, that's also nice. I've always would find it kind of difficult to follow up though.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well its one of those "I know he is going to do it and I would be shocked otherwise" type things.

As for following up I guess Up-air?

It can KO though I'm not a HUGE fan of it either but I overheard a lot of players saying its situational but useful sometimes.

Irow

Smash Ace
I find down tilt much more useful.

How much do you use Marth's up-air. I was watching some of Mew2King's videos, and he seems to like that move a lot.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I've heard differing things on the reverse dolphin blade, is this a good tactic to use or is it a bad idea because of the eternal lagtime?

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Its a situational technique. I (think) it gives a knocks back with a more horizontal trajectory when reversed, and is easier to sweetspot :D. Tis a useful tactic as it can be done straight out of shield, but usually theirs better moves available (ie SHFair out of sheild, etc.). I recomend using it out of your shield when they're close by at a high percentage.

However, its best used as a surprise quick KO move when your opponent is not expecting it, and is at a too high percent to combo into a fsmash or dair. Don't overuse it, but certainly add it to your repetoire ^^

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
I've never seen a pro Marth in action. One of my fave combos is to get the opponent to 50 or so damage, launch them upwards, then juggle them with a mix of Uairs and Fairs until they land or, more likely, die. Do the pros do this, and how effective is it in pro tournaments?

LNKD

Smash Apprentice
to tell you the true is a lot of changes have happens since every one, well not everyone play brawl but I get use to melee is not gana be the same we are veterans of melee none wave dash,waveland,jump cancel,grab jump, and they wieght change but I wonder that the tip change or is still in marth !?

Cookiez

Smash Ace
^ Aside from the grammar, isn't your post more suited to the Brawl boards? I would still answer it if I could, but Brawl wont come to the UK for many-a-day :(.

Aesir

Smash Master
I've never seen a pro Marth in action. One of my fave combos is to get the opponent to 50 or so damage, launch them upwards, then juggle them with a mix of Uairs and Fairs until they land or, more likely, die. Do the pros do this, and how effective is it in pro tournaments?
Nah thats actually a pretty bad combo.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
There a quite a few threads you could have searched whitegaurd :D. But anyhoo, it's mainly a matter of practice, you'll get it eventually. Or play fox, thats what I did ^^.

A good way to start is to try pressing "z" for the first arial. So shorthop, forward air with z, then a forward air with anything your comfortable with. This way you can immediately press "z" after you hit jump without having to move your fingers :p.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Marth is clearly an aerial character, but are there times that Marth should remain on the ground as opposed to taking to the air? For example, if I'm being attacked with projectiles that I can dodge without taking to the air, should I? Or does it not matter? Similarly, I've been told that it's better to simply run through Fox's lasers to get to him, as opposed to taking to the air to reach him. What are the advantages and disadvantages about taking to the air and in what sort of situations should Marth keep to the ground?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Pretty much all of it. Sorry about that, I'm sort of at a loss for where to begin with improving my game. Thanks for the reminder on the part about the "smash senses". You're right, it's all about experience. Sorry I was a bother, and from here on I'll try my hand at learning before I post. Thanks again, that reminder actually helped a lot.

Casval Zem Daikun

Smash Rookie
****, I apologize for not having multiple years of experience behind me or an over-bearing care to use the search function.
Y'know, Q&A topic typically suggests quick and easy answers.

Sorry for using brain cells, brb turning on l337 key plug-in.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Just curious if this would be a good stickied post for someone to make (I'm not qualified to do this, though)--just a list terms of general and Marth-specific techniques, their respective abbreiviations, and a short description or instruction of how to do. This way for n00bs like myself who aren't used to abbreiviations can either identify them, or if they don't know them at all can read up on them. Just an idea, I didn't know if anyone thought this was worth doing.

AIDS

Smash Lord
Just curious if this would be a good stickied post for someone to make (I'm not qualified to do this, though)--just a list terms of general and Marth-specific techniques, their respective abbreiviations, and a short description or instruction of how to do. This way for n00bs like myself who aren't used to abbreiviations can either identify them, or if they don't know them at all can read up on them. Just an idea, I didn't know if anyone thought this was worth doing.
Marth is not the only one who needs to L cancle and SHFFL etc., im pretty sure the Q/A thread is goodfor that, and it is stickyed, alos there is a dictionary of terms.
the dictionary is right here and it is also reffered to on the guide to begginers on SWF, it is right here aswell.

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
Alright fellow Marth players, I need some help.

Backstory:

I started playing 6 months ago, as Fox. Ditched Fox for Marth. Marth is more fun to play, and a bit better than Fox, IMO. I'm no scrub at this point. I've been playing Marth for 2 months now. My brother, who has been playing on a competitive level for two years now, told me that there was no way I'd be able to beat him in Melee. We bet 50 dollars on it. He plays Ganon, and for the past three weeks, I have ruined him in friendly matches. However, we were playing yesterday and this afternoon, and if I beat him, it was bearly. He's playing exactly the same as before, but somehow, he's still beating me. The Nair and Fair approaches are being sheilded, but I keep the spacing too far for him to grab. I keep the pressure on, but I still seem to catch random Fairs from him, leading to combos, leading to death. I need a fresh approach that leads me into combos or at least help me keep the pressure high enough to make him screw up.

What do you try when you've tried everything?

Cactuar.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Uhh well lemme get this straight because I didn't read your entire story.

You play marth and wanna know how to fight ganon is that right?

Also why did you type cactuar at the end of your post?

>_> Cactus never posts anyway <_<

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Lol... Did you put my name there just to summon me?

I use nair a lot vs ganon, and tech chase with fthrow and dthrow all day. Look for opportunities to tipper uairs at low percents to start combos.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Lol... Did you put my name there just to summon me?

I use nair a lot vs ganon, and tech chase with fthrow and dthrow all day. Look for opportunities to tipper uairs at low percents to start combos.
>_> Its CACTUS O_O....

I'm surprised you posted in EL's thread LOLOLOLOLOL

<3

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Man.

A knowledgeable Marth player REALLY outta make an approaching with Marth thread.

Hmmmmm.

HEY WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom