• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irow

Smash Ace
Yoshi Story: The platforms are really good for Marth. Small sides normally mean quicker kills. And since the stage is small, Marth's range is really that much more abusable. Be wary though, because it's smaller, you can die quick if you don't control the stage well.

Another one is FoD. It's not commonly picked, but Marth can adapt to the moving platforms well, and a lot of people I've played get thrown off by it.

Most counterpick stages aren't too good for Marth, but I like the DK64 stage. There's a lot of room to run away if you play a defensive style.

Also, stay away from Corneria, it's not that bad for Marth... But it's so much better for Marth's main trouble, Sheik.

DL64 is good if you're facing a Falco or Fox. The main problem is that it becomes harder to chaingrab and abuse platforms. However, the stage is big vertically, so Fox will have a harder time killing from the top. The platforms are good for avoiding lasers. And since Marth's game is very much centered around the edge, you don't have to really worry about the extended sides and roof.

Hope this helps. The best counterpick is probably Yoshi's Story.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^You forgot Battlefield. That is almost as good as YS for Marth (I personally like it even more.) The actual area you fight on is still pretty small, which allows Marth to abuse his range just like on YS, but you won't be dying off the top or sides anytime soon. Normally this helps Marth more than his opponents, because Marth has great edgeguarding to make sure they don't get back, but he's also fairly tough to edgeguard which allows him to survive a little longer.

I don't particularly like FoD for the same reason you don't like Corneria. It's better for Shiek than it is for Marth. It's also good for Falco, and fighting Peach and Fox there is annoying because of how low the platroms get, so I tend to avoid that stage.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
my opinion : FoD isn't good for falco, it shuts down his laser game..the platforms are good, but not as good as for marth...vs falco i like Yoshi's, then Fod, then FD for the chaingrabbing..and finally battlefield or DK64...

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
How can dreamland be a good stage for marth?

IMO its one of his worst stages.

You can't F-smash under a platform to kill and the platform is so high that its much easier to be tricked with tech rolls etc.

Also on dreamland there is too much room spacies will camp you so hard :ohwell:

Generally neutrals = win for marth dreamland is his worst stage IMO

Irow

Smash Ace
How can dreamland be a good stage for marth?

IMO its one of his worst stages.

You can't F-smash under a platform to kill and the platform is so high that its much easier to be tricked with tech rolls etc.

Also on dreamland there is too much room spacies will camp you so hard :ohwell:

Generally neutrals = win for marth dreamland is his worst stage IMO
I don't know about that. Dreamland is good because it's kind of hard to kill Marth there. It's an okay counterpick against Fox because the Uthrow -Uair combo doesn't kill at such low percents. Marth doesn't really directly need to kill, his edgeguard can handle kills. Because there's a lot of room for movement, camping isn't that good. The platforms are good for movement, and if you don't try the underplatform Fsmash, the platforms can be good to combo on. But Dreamland still shouldn't picked too often, but more as a counterpick most people won't expect Marth on.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I don't know about that. Dreamland is good because it's kind of hard to kill Marth there. It's an okay counterpick against Fox because the Uthrow -Uair combo doesn't kill at such low percents. Marth doesn't really directly need to kill, his edgeguard can handle kills. Because there's a lot of room for movement, camping isn't that good. The platforms are good for movement, and if you don't try the underplatform Fsmash, the platforms can be good to combo on. But Dreamland still shouldn't picked too often, but more as a counterpick most people won't expect Marth on.
Huh .....??? aright well

Dreamland doesn't make it hard to kill marth there at all for fox or falco.

Fox doesn't have to kill vertically and can simply b-air edgeguard marth and if he wants to kill marth vertically its not THAT much more percents maybe 15-20% more (So marths die around like 110-130 i guess not sure of exact percent assuming fairly decent DI).

Marth doesn't need to kill through a huge combo thats true however that exists for ALL stages especially neutral stages so this shouldn't be a reason to pick dreamland at all.

Because there is room to move marth can be camped hard. They can run back and shoot lots of lasers and when you make an approach they can jump on the platform and run away especially since F-smash won't punish them. Otherwise Fox/Falco would simply be forced to fight but because they aren't forced to fight at all they can run around and just try to get a gay kill like grab up-throw up-smash.

The platforms are too high for marth and his up-tilt doesn't cover as much of the platform as like battlefield platforms. It covers a tiny area compared to that.

Basically if I was a fox/falco I would counterpick here Marth is fast but spacies are ridiculously fast.

Oh since I just realized my argument was for fox but falco can combo insanely well because of the high platforms and he can escape marth's combos better on that stage than on any other stage.

Irow

Smash Ace
I don't know, I just tend to do well there. I don't think I'm the only one.

I mean if my opponent banned Yoshi Story, and I won on FD or Pokemon Stadium, I'd try Dreamland. I kind of like the platforms for aerial combos. I mean, it kills a lot of your ground game, but I like it sometimes.

Who was it that recently won on DL64? Was it Azen Marth vs. PC Falco. I think it was. Well, anyway, I found that match amazing. I never used to pick Dreamland.. it was my worse stage. But I've been doing really good on it lately.

But it still is Marth's worse stage, I think I'll have to agree there.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
>_> yay i guess lol

Well ive done well there with marth sometimes too so i kinda know what you mean lol

Playing my friend how notoriously camps though made me see the light

Irow

Smash Ace
I hate when they just camp. Luckily, Falco isn't really too fast. But Fox is too annoying on that stage. And Falcon is hella beast on that stage.

What's your best non-neutral counter pick stage? I'm not really sure any of them are really too hot for Marth.

Oh and by the way, didn't you place like 17th at Smashtaclysm?

If so, congrats. Are you going to Pound 3?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Yea no one knows me =/

But thanks man i definitely placed 17th in VLS

/Horrible Placing Bragging

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh marth non-neutral counterpick??

good question lol I would personally never counterpick a non-neutral stage with marth.

And yea Im 100% going to Pound 3

Oh and yea I agree falco isnt as bad as Fox falco plainly gets ***** by marth in general

Irow

Smash Ace
I'm trying to get there to go watch. But I can't get somebody older to go with me. It's like the last major tournament before Brawl and I wanna see some great Marths.

I heard about you, don't worry. My Marth isn't too shabby, but I don't think I'd place anywhere near 17th at something like VLS. Good stuff though. Do you have any videos though? I've seen your Sheik before, it's pretty good. But I'd really like to see your Marth.

Since I'm graduating high school this school year (I'm only 15, but apparently I'm too smart to be in high) , I'm aiming to be amazing at Brawl. I mean I've only been playing Melee at a high level for maybe six months and I can beat some pretty good players.

I hope I can play you one day.

On topic, what do you think of Azen's playstyle? I don't really see people play that kind of older style.

And what's a good way to fight a Jiggly? They really are annoying.

Irow

Smash Ace
Alternate between the Tip and the non-sweetspot. The basic rule of Marth is that there aren't really a set string of combos. The moves themselves are important, and you have to use them well. Just follow DI, and see what you can get.

Normally, try to tip. You have to follow well, because sometimes the trajectory is weird, and you have to do a different move.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Irow - If you go to pound play don't just watch believe me i did the same for my first major (pound 2) and i regretted it A REAL WHOLE LOT. I know I sound stupid but the experience is unbelievable.

I haven't recorded vids in a really long time =/ maybe ill try to record some more and you seen my sheik cuz I was planning on using her as my main in the near future and now I am :).

My marth is ok nothing spectacular the one thing I guess I can say about it is I beat PC Kip in tourney with marth and I also almost beat Aho with him but he gayed me really hard and i died :(.

I hope I can play you too >_>

Also Azen's playstyle is amazing IMO he sorta plays how I would like to he gave me the advice to "Camp in your opponent's face". He is personally my favorite player next to PC Chris.

Jigglypuff match up is gay in general lol so I won't answer you until i figure something out myself i guess >_>.

jas3 - Well it depends where you are but follow these rules of marth's f-air

1) Tip of marth's sword sends characters upward at some angle

2) The center of marth's sword doesn't make them rise a whole lot (barely really) it sends them away from you.

If you start from the ground or relatively low near the ground you may want a tip so you can fit more f-airs in your combo.

But if they are in the air sorta high or near the edge of the stage you may want to hit with the center so they get off for an F-smash.

Irow

Smash Ace
Alright, if I get to go to Pound 3, I'll definitely buy my pass to play.

I really hate the Jigglypuff match, it's really annoying. I mean, I live in NorCal, and King really influences a lot of people to play puff... It's gay. The most used characters in NorCal are probably Falcon, Falco, and Puff. Isai fanboys are insane here, lol.

I'm a Marth main and I really feel outnumbered.

Azen's style is kind of like mine, very in your face. I try to mix in some Ken stuff, considering he's my favorite Marth (he just doesn't play no more). I like the old school Marth game instead of the new school Marth styles. I see some new Marth's hear sometimes, and they always try to pull that M2K stuff.

If they're up in the air by the way, hit the middle of the fair, jump, and Dair. Ken combo is amazing to turn a match in your favor if you're losing.

Anyway, if we can't think of a good way to fight Puff. What would be a good counter character?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well if i had to give advice for jigz it would be to camp in your opponents face and react all game.

Good counter characters are Fox/Peach/Sheik(Sort of she gets rested so easily)/CF

And well thats about the most i can think of right now.

Irow

Smash Ace
Well, I'll probably go with Sheik, but I'm not too hot with her. I guess its my Marth instinct to hate Sheik, lol.

Oh my God, I just got meteored by a wire frame...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
If your having trouble with Jigglypuff just camp them out with fairs, jabs, and f-tilts. You don't actually have to approach them at all because Jigglypuff doesn't have a projectile. If she starts pushing you back towards the edge just run to the other side of the stage. You shouldn't ever get desperate to kill Jigglypuff, because playing aggressively will be your downfall. Eventually she'll just die from a fair anyway, so don't worry and just maintain your spacing. At high percents you could use the side B to up tilt combo for a quick kill, but only if they're close to you when you get the side B. F-throw and D-throw to f-smash can also be devestating to Jigglypuff on some of the smaller levels, so if you get one in just look at whether or not the DI'd the throw. If they DI'd it down and away then there's no way to get the f-smash, but if they only DI'd away then a wavedash to smash should work on them.

If they ever miss a rest, space a down smash instead of a f-smash. A fully charged down smash will kill Jigglypuff at about 45% on FD (with the best DI), so it's a better punisher. I've also had success in using a f-throw to downsmash on Jigglypuffs that DI the throw down, but not away, so it might be worth trying.

When edgeguarding Jigglypuff, do not F-smash at tipper range. They'll simply react to you f-smashing and drift out of range. What you should do for edgeguarding is d-tilt if they're comming from under the ledge, or f-tilt if they're comming from right above the ledge. If they go high above you, try to stay under her. Jigglypuff is very, very vulnerable to Marth's Uair, so abuse it and make her drift off the stage to avoid you.

Really, this whole match is just forcing Jigglypuff to be aggressive against you, because you can out camp her. It's quite different than fighting Fox, or Falco, or Shiek, ect, because you never actually have to approach. So just don't.

tyrin

Smash Rookie
ok,i need help doing combos with marth,can u tell me some easy combos?(i need a combo with wavedashing) EASY PLEASE

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Dark Sonic - Were you at Plank's at pound 2? ^_^ its been a while >_< lol <3 pound 2 :) I hope you go to pound 3 too man :).

tyrin - thats extremely vague man... and the only combo I can think of right now is F-throw wavedash F-smash on floaty characters like peach

Shadowex3

Smash Apprentice
ok,i need help doing combos with marth,can u tell me some easy combos?(i need a combo with wavedashing) EASY PLEASE
Dash, wavedash out of the dash, duck, poke and interrupt the poke with an uptilt. Forces you to practice wavedashing and getting timing right. Poke's interruptable REALLY fast but the timing to do seems pretty tight.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Dark Sonic - Were you at Plank's at pound 2? ^_^ its been a while >_< lol <3 pound 2 :) I hope you go to pound 3 too man :).

tyrin - thats extremely vague man... and the only combo I can think of right now is F-throw wavedash F-smash on floaty characters like peach
Yeah I was. I remember that you beat me with Fox quite a bit.:laugh:

My partner plays Jigglypuff, so that's why I know so much about the match up.

F-throw wavedash F-smash works on Jigglypuff at mid to high percents, but it does eventually stop working (at about 85% or so if they DI). F-throw wavedash F-smash shouldn't work on Peach. Don't they hit the ground if they DI the throw down and away? It's the same reason f-throw to fair doesn't work.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
F-throw to Wavesmash on peach works if she DI's away from you. If she doesn't DI or does it towards you its possible to just f-smash them there or re-grab them.

I don't think peach gets to hit the ground at mid to high percents she goes up pretty high from the f-throw regardless of DI directions.

I'm not sure I'm just basing it off my experience but I am really sure about. For a consolation Cactuar gave me the advice to f-throw -> wavesmash peaches to kill them.

Poehlcat

Smash Apprentice
I've picked up Marth recently and I'm wondering what is the best way to DI C. Falc's throws? He has good d-throw knee and u-throw knee combos depending on percentage and I'm wondering how avoidable they are.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I've picked up Marth recently and I'm wondering what is the best way to DI C. Falc's throws? He has good d-throw knee and u-throw knee combos depending on percentage and I'm wondering how avoidable they are.
Eh, don't DI. Just let him kill you, come back, grab him in your invincibility, throw him off the ledge and fsmash.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
I would DI to tempt him into going for the knee immediately and then DI up and towards the stage. That way, you don't get damage racked up and carried closer to the edge where you're easier to kill, and you might even SDI the knee to live pretty long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom