• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I think he means this

I'm looking to play a faster marth, one that can contend at the higher levels of play. is there any way i can punish fast moving characters like falcon and fox
.... well...

Its hard to say a good tactic vs fast characters...

In general you want to limit the amount of space they can occupy or trap them.

Its basically depends on your style of play.

If your m2k you can just sit at the edge and gimp for 9325984375984358943759 stocks.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Thanks sephiroth, thats exactly what I meant. So Tec0, basically I should start getting in their face more (but not too close), shffling fairs, etc. right?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Thanks sephiroth, thats exactly what I meant. So Tec0, basically I should start getting in their face more (but not too close), shffling fairs, etc. right?
Camping/waiting for mistakes and punishing them or playing aggressive to force mistakes both work with marth.

It does not matter as much although being able to play both helps.

Example

1)You fight a falco running and SHL or whatever basically playing defensive because they are scared of your grabs.

If you play keep away and playing defensive you will get SHL to death it may be more effective to play in their face or near them (far enough so you can't just get d-air shine) and limit their options greatly.

2)You fight an aggressive fox who wants to run up to you n-air shine you and stuff trying to limit your options.

If you play defensively and campy with Dashdances and retreating f-airs etc. Marth can possibly use his range to his advantage and possibly get a grab in and start to combo etc.

Anyway these examples aren't amazing and they are totally one sided its just something I thought up of in like 5 seconds.

Most players can play either way but lean towards a style. In general what you should do is depending of how your opponent plays. This is a very very very general case.

If you give me something more concrete to work with I can help you better.

Vaxxaruis

Smash Apprentice
i hope this place is the right place to put this but ok here go's atm i say my marth is pretty good i just cant shffl double fair and i think its becuse i use my c-stick. its really frustrating can any one gimmie a few pointers on how to do the double fair or if u can use the c-stick thanks a million lata

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
i hope this place is the right place to put this but ok here go's atm i say my marth is pretty good i just cant shffl double fair and i think its becuse i use my c-stick. its really frustrating can any one gimmie a few pointers on how to do the double fair or if u can use the c-stick thanks a million lata

its basically when you want to perform a double aerial attack with marth

basically all you do is short hop forward and IMMEDIATELY after press the A button while u you are moving forward (still tilting it forward... of course...).

There isnt a need to slide it its actually not very difficult to do but if you feel the need to slide it then by all means.

if you do it right you have room to do another aerial (f-air,up-air are the favorites)
EL you should make a section in the front of the page so people stop asking about how to perform the SHDF O_O anyway its a common question its worth it.

Also Vaxxaruis I just quoted myself because I know I talked about it if you check back though lots of other members posted about it as well.

I hope that helps BTW its fairly difficult to do a SHDF with exclusively the c-stick you would have to short hop then immediately slide your finger to the c-stick.

Do a f-air using the A button then use the c-stick its far easier.

Vaxxaruis

Smash Apprentice
yeah i know how to do it, its just i rarely use the a button and its hard for me to use it my fingers get jumbly and a mess up but ill pratice it thanks alot

Snakeee

Smash Master
Know what's weird, I can space my shot hop double f airs alot better than shffl f airs...
If i used double alot more is that bad? (im guessing yes -_-)

Shadowex3

Smash Apprentice
Anyone got any good edge guarding tips? I've been trying the edge-to-bair trick but no matter how perfectly I time it the lag of the bair always has me fall too far down to recover. Do you actually need to hit someone for it to work right?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Anyone got any good edge guarding tips? I've been trying the edge-to-bair trick but no matter how perfectly I time it the lag of the bair always has me fall too far down to recover. Do you actually need to hit someone for it to work right?
You have to double jump and rise with the b-air to hit people with.

You might not be rising with the b-air but you can fall ridiculously low and b-air then come back. Like a bit higher than the bottom of FD probably.

Other edgegaurds?

Well you can do the m2k egdeguarding vs Spacies where you jab their recovery then go off the stage then double jump f-air them or you can reverse dolphin them like cort does.

Other than that generally you can jump off and F-air them if they used their double jump.

Or just stay on the stage and F-smash or d-tilt.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Advice against Puff and his rest.

Sups. I need some advices in teh fight against puffs. They seem to speciallly botehr me with their wall of pain and uber aerial domination.

IN this video you can see a particular puff which i always play. he almost always get a rest on early % against me....and even when im almost always winning.. this is the deciding factor.

This time around i lost against him in a tournie and i got kicked out.

So i would greatly appreciate comments and critics on the video and also general suggestions against the puff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nJ03D0v_rc&eurl=http://pgl.isepanama.com/foro/index.php?topic=212.0

thanks in advance

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
So tapping down or away and instantly using your doublejump and bairing doesn't work then?
That works, and you can even hit back to let go bair double jump upB to recover as well. Your probably just trying to upB to early and your still in the bair animation.

As for your particular Jiggly matchup Hydde you had no reason to approach as much as you did. Just dashdance until he whiffs an attack where you can just aerial him once or twice and run away. Once you get him frustrated enough you may even be able to bait him into a fsmash that way. You can also fair camp as well. There is really nothing Jiggly can do about it except try to space really well and to get close to you. Around 50% and up to maybe 70% fthrow to wavedash Fsmash works pretty well if they think they can DI away. Mix that in with dthrow and you should have a reliable way to KO. Only other way really is to aim a tipper uptilt on them. An important thing to note is if you ever see them start crouching in prediction of you grabbing to not JC grab or do standing grabs. Just shield wavedash away if your in shield and do regular dashing grabs if your moving in for a grab.

tyjets212

Smash Rookie
I am going to a local tourny.

I need to know what stages are best suited for Marth's.

And I need to know which are worst for him and why; so I can lessen my weakness innately put into by my character.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I am going to a local tourny.

I need to know what stages are best suited fmaor Marth's.

And I need to know which are worst for him and why; so I can lessen my weakness innately put into by my character.
Well stages are about other characters

Favorite stages for marth?

FD
YS
Battlefield

In general ALL neutrals are pretty good for marth I personally don't like marth too much on Dreamland but he isn't bad there.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I just suck on FoD. Honestly, everytime I'm about to finish a combo with an Fsmash a platform rises underneath me and messes me up. Gayness.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Don't combo just grab up-throw and left them tech on a platform and f-smash one way or the other.

If you prefer i guess you can turn or stand there and up-tilt too lmao >.<.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
I've finally found a question that I wanted to ask here.

Its not so much a specific question, more of a general request for information about a matchup.

A stupid one, at that.

Marth vs. DK

It feels like I can't combo DK, and its difficult to edgeguard.
The pseudo-chainthrow forward doesn't seem to lead to any possibilities, techchasing with fsmash was risky, so I always went for a d-tilt or grab.
Whenever I got grabbed, it always led to a massive combo, u-throw to lots of u-airs into DK punches or f-airs.
DIing up and away didn't let me out of the combo, just set me up for the DK punch or f-air.
=/

Whenever DK recovers, he won't go low, since I'm waiting at the ledge, screws around with his Up+b so its hard to land a safe Fsmash after he lands, u-tilts don't kill till over 140 on small stages, around 150-160 on larger stages, god forbid dreamland. >.<
So I usually spend the majority of a match F-airing DK around the stage till he flies off, wait at the ledge just to see him Up+B back to the middle platform, N-air him off again, or u-air and look for an u-tilt when he comes back down.
Then when he gets a grab on me, I get u-air chained as if hes' fox, into a F-air or DK punch for the kill.
It seems really redundant.

So what am I missing?
Are there better combos on DK I could use? Better edgeguards?
Proper DI to escape u-air chains?
Mindgames that could help?

Please offer any insight that I might be missing here.

dawn001

Smash Ace
sorry for the question it might have been anwser before but when fox or any other character that can do the marth killer of marth what is other opition that i can do to get back on the stage while they have the shield for marth on the edge?Any advice?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Dawn - you lost me are you talking about Light shield hogging?

Atomic_punk - ... i wish i could answer your question lmao.

I fought Bum too and his DK ***** my marth hard he actually ***** marth really hard DK has really good range and his recovery is really good and hard to punish.

If I had to say one thing it would be fighting a DK is similar to fighting a sheik. In the idea that you want to have DK above you rather than on the ground.

If you grab up-throw and try to keep him in mid-air the only move you would have to watch for is his D-air.

His F-air has HUGE windup time so you should be able to avoid that and his up,back,and neutral air don't have a hitbox under Dk if they do it isn't bigger than your sword.

Edgeguarding a DK is especially difficult though if he comes from under i suggest just grabbing the ledge if at all possible if it isnt you have to time a F-smash about the time when he is about to run out of his up-b.

If he comes from above and plays well he will probably either do one of two things. Either he will up-b into you so you can't hit him or he will probably try to stay barely out of f-smash range with his up-b and try to confuse your f-smash timing.

Either case its hard and i haven't really found a good method to kill DK. PC literally just waits with falco/fox and D-smashes. Its not easy to do at all.

Also watch out for his range its crazy his combos on you are really good too like you said it hurts to get hit by a DK.

Remember that most of DK's combos are from grabs just play keep away and try to get him into the air.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Lol well its mainly used vs marth but you can do it to others fyi. I believe you are able to do it to:

Marth
Luigi
Game and Watch
Peach(if her umbrella is ALREADY out basically useless vs her though.)

but it depends on your situation really but in general its rough basically almost impossible lmao.

Ummm i guess you can double jump fair and confuse their edgeguarding or you can air dodge and grab the ledge instead of using it.

Otherwise ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA AMAZING SWEETSPOTTING this btw practically never happens

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
For the Donkey Kong matchup, it's actually pretty even if the DK is smart. Teczero made a good point about playing him like Sheik. Try to keep him in the air, upthrow then watch for the jump or airdodge and punish, otherwise just uptilt or dashdance another opportunity in. When they start to spam shffl bairs into you don't try to challenge it with fairs. You have a better chance to just rush in shield then roll in front of him. Since he doesn't have a good front aerial you will force him to either turn around or try to predict the roll to a grab. Just try to ruin the spacing of the bair to give you opportunities to shieldgrab or aerials out of shield. Ftilt could also work. The shffl bair is very fast imo and too many Marth's don't know how to deal with it that well. As for edgegaurding DK I find that normal edgegaurds in collaboration with a lot of counters when you know they can't sweetspot works extremely well. Getting a counter in allows you to setup the edgegaurd much easier. Normally I avoid the counter wherever possible, but this is one of those matchups where it works very well on edgeguarding to force them to start sweetspotting more.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
... LMAO

i never thought to use counter vs DK ever LMAO good stuff :lick:

apparently me and arcnatural own this thread :chuckle: lol jk <3 EL
Actually, I used to be TheBlueDeath's Devil's Advocate in Smash board postings. I'm slowly turning more evil thanks to TheBlueDeath everyday!

Irow

Smash Ace
My brother plays a respectible DK, so I know the match-up kind of well. For one thing, you shouldn't play offensively. It will probably lead you into the Uair combo of his. DK's bair is really annoying as well, so make sure you don't run into that stuff. Marth should be able to outgrab him. So if you see him going for it, annoy the hell out of him by mixing up various throws. And if he messes up on DI, front smash him. His power is in his B, Up-B, and Uair. With Up B, seriously don't attack it. You can use counter. DK should have a hard time getting in Marth if you don't try to run into him.

DK is really hard to kill though, so don't expect quick kills. And DK can put on a lot of damage on you real fast if he gets a grab in. Don't try to stop him for charging up B, you'll fail and might get hit. It'll take a long time to kill DK, so be patient and him with opportunist hits. It's safe, and might make DK do something regrettable.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
How fun is it to ken combo or spike someone with marth >.< to me its loads of fun :laugh:.

lol anyway what is anyone's opinions on marth's dancing blade attacks? In terms of usefulness and in what way?

dawn001

Smash Ace
How fun is it to ken combo or spike someone with marth >.< to me its loads of fun :laugh:.

lol anyway what is anyone's opinions on marth's dancing blade attacks? In terms of usefulness and in what way?
well there is many ways ..not sure if it will help but here i go...

1.when your apponets has his shield low
2.or when you are dashdancing near him then you use the dancing blade when you see an open attck.
well basicly shield pressuring maybe or just when there shield is low and when you succed the attack it sends them far of the stage.. thats all i got sorry if is not in a good advice.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well im just looking for pros and cons really.

I use it but sparingly I was just wondering if its worth it to add it into my game like use i dunno... shdf or sumthin

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Dawn - you lost me are you talking about Light shield hogging?

Atomic_punk - ... i wish i could answer your question lmao.

I fought Bum too and his DK ***** my marth hard he actually ***** marth really hard DK has really good range and his recovery is really good and hard to punish.

If I had to say one thing it would be fighting a DK is similar to fighting a sheik. In the idea that you want to have DK above you rather than on the ground.

If you grab up-throw and try to keep him in mid-air the only move you would have to watch for is his D-air.

His F-air has HUGE windup time so you should be able to avoid that and his up,back,and neutral air don't have a hitbox under Dk if they do it isn't bigger than your sword.

Edgeguarding a DK is especially difficult though if he comes from under i suggest just grabbing the ledge if at all possible if it isnt you have to time a F-smash about the time when he is about to run out of his up-b.

If he comes from above and plays well he will probably either do one of two things. Either he will up-b into you so you can't hit him or he will probably try to stay barely out of f-smash range with his up-b and try to confuse your f-smash timing.

Either case its hard and i haven't really found a good method to kill DK. PC literally just waits with falco/fox and D-smashes. Its not easy to do at all.

Also watch out for his range its crazy his combos on you are really good too like you said it hurts to get hit by a DK.

Remember that most of DK's combos are from grabs just play keep away and try to get him into the air.
For the Donkey Kong matchup, it's actually pretty even if the DK is smart. Teczero made a good point about playing him like Sheik. Try to keep him in the air, upthrow then watch for the jump or airdodge and punish, otherwise just uptilt or dashdance another opportunity in. When they start to spam shffl bairs into you don't try to challenge it with fairs. You have a better chance to just rush in shield then roll in front of him. Since he doesn't have a good front aerial you will force him to either turn around or try to predict the roll to a grab. Just try to ruin the spacing of the bair to give you opportunities to shieldgrab or aerials out of shield. Ftilt could also work. The shffl bair is very fast imo and too many Marth's don't know how to deal with it that well. As for edgegaurding DK I find that normal edgegaurds in collaboration with a lot of counters when you know they can't sweetspot works extremely well. Getting a counter in allows you to setup the edgegaurd much easier. Normally I avoid the counter wherever possible, but this is one of those matchups where it works very well on edgeguarding to force them to start sweetspotting more.
My brother plays a respectible DK, so I know the match-up kind of well. For one thing, you shouldn't play offensively. It will probably lead you into the Uair combo of his. DK's bair is really annoying as well, so make sure you don't run into that stuff. Marth should be able to outgrab him. So if you see him going for it, annoy the hell out of him by mixing up various throws. And if he messes up on DI, front smash him. His power is in his B, Up-B, and Uair. With Up B, seriously don't attack it. You can use counter. DK should have a hard time getting in Marth if you don't try to run into him.

DK is really hard to kill though, so don't expect quick kills. And DK can put on a lot of damage on you real fast if he gets a grab in. Don't try to stop him for charging up B, you'll fail and might get hit. It'll take a long time to kill DK, so be patient and him with opportunist hits. It's safe, and might make DK do something regrettable.

The advice is much appreciated. ^_^

Retroking2000

Smash Master

>B >B down B no one can shield grab you , the down B pushes the shield away so its against characters like sheik / fox / falco because they depend on grabs alot

dawn001

Smash Ace
>B >B down B no one can shield grab you , the down B pushes the shield away so its against characters like sheik / fox / falco because they depend on grabs alot
what are marth worst stages to play on?

hey this maybe the dumb's question but how in the hell do you get your name in that color i always ask my self how do they get those colors and yet i dont know maybe you can help..

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Im pretty sure thats sheild grabbable though..... >_>. Cuz i know i have done it....:dizzy:

dawn- counter pick stages usually arent that good for marth in general he does fairly well on all the neutral stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom