• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
That font color is difficult to see you should change it >.<

umm Marth's bad match ups?

hmm i would have to say probably

Sheik
Captian Falcon
Ganondorf (somewhat)
Ice Climbers(If you don't know how to play vs them)
Donkey Kong(Sorta of hard to fight him with marth)

Fox does pretty good vs marth too although they both **** each other

Also marth does good vs marth :laugh:

There really arent too many bad matchups for him at all

dawn001

Smash Ace
That font color is difficult to see you should change it >.<

umm Marth's bad match ups?

hmm i would have to say probably

Sheik
Captian Falcon
Ganondorf (somewhat)
Ice Climbers(If you don't know how to play vs them)
Donkey Kong(Sorta of hard to fight him with marth)

Fox does pretty good vs marth too although they both **** each other

Also marth does good vs marth :laugh:

There really arent too many bad matchups for him at all
OH I SEE WELL I DONT HAVE PROBLEMS WITH GANON OR DK THEY ARE TO EASY FOR ME BUT SHIEK AND CAPTAIN FALCON AND ALSO FOX ARE TO LOCO :psycho:...*MEANS CRAZY*

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
OH THANKS I JUST WAS WONDERING ALL THIS TIME BUT THANKS..
Please stop typing in all caps or you will most likely be recieving a warning from a moderator. Giving you the heads up.

As for the dancing blade. If you know how to get maximum speed from it it can catch CCers and spotdodgers. It's very important to space it if you plan on doing more than one hit, since they can just CC to shield then grab you.

Single DE can lead to uptilts at higher % and it's a good interrupt. It's also works well when dropping or dashing off platforms if they just expect a aerial (multiple DEs not just the single). If you know how to vary it well even the 4th hit of the DE can catch people because you can change the timing of it so well. Marth's DE is one of the useful overB moves.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well its rare to see I want to use it somehow but i only recently thought about its usefulness >.< hmm the first dancing blade seemed more useful to me.

Marth vs peach is pretty one sided into Marth's favor he out spaces her and can potentially **** her prety hard.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
If you were answering me thats not what I asked lol. I wanted to know who's the better choice against falcon.
Oh lmao .. yea i misunderstood your question

Umm... vs CF I would choose marth IMO.

Peach get ***** by CFs combo and his speed makes him difficult to catch HOWEVER she can CG him till like 80.

Marth can tech chase him well and possibly be able to kill CF at low percents but he also gets ***** by CF's combos and speed and he can fairly easily get through your range.

Peach or Marth don't have a fun time vs CF I would choose marth cuz i hate Peach vs CF but both matchups suck just choose whichever want you like better.

Irow

Smash Ace
About CF combos, most everybody gets ***** by them. Every character has a percent where if CF grabs you, you get Knee'd, with no escape.

If you play Marth, it'd be easier to kill CF in my opinion, and his speed is less against Marth, than it is against Peach.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Meh its a toss up Peach's CG def makes this fight easier and she can edgeguard him well enough so he doesn't ever make it back like marth.

It doesnt matter IMO he does good vs both of them just pick one.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Ugh, seems my characters don't always work so well together. Yeah I guess I'd mostly use Marth, especially since I got alot better with edgeguarding with him. Thanks

Irow

Smash Ace
I just hate that a match with Peach goes kind of slow. Marth makes the battle a little more fun. And even though I play Marth (Against Fox mostly), chain-grabbing makes a match really boring. I'm so glad that in Brawl, stuff like that seems to be out.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well go to Corts thread i think Xif posted sumthin about peach vs CF and he is unusually good at the match up :p

If your thinking of going peach vs CF that is ;)

Irow

Smash Ace
Cort's Peach is too good though. Most Peach players can't do that well against a Falcon that are their level.

I like your sig Teczero. Death Note is so awesome.

Irow

Smash Ace
What do you think about Marth vs. Link? I know Marth has the advantage, but my Link seems to do well against pretty Marths.

Also, what about Marth vs. Fox/Falco? What's the best way to handle the match, in your opinion?

Yeah, Death Note is so awesome. How far are you in the story?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I hate link T_T i lost to Skler in VLS too :(

Hmm.. marth vs Link IMO its the more aggressive you can get the better.

Because its pretty obvious he is going to try to spam you to build damage and to draw you in. You have to be fairly aggressive but not run into Link's attacks. Basically "camping in your opponent's face" if you stay close enough where his range is ineffective and his projectiles are useless you have a huge advantage.

For me i generally like Marth vs spacies generally because its not too difficult as long as you punish them with death combos.

Generally the way I play is i try to get aggressive and then back off to try to force them to be aggressive and then abuse the range to somehow get a grab.

In general the grabs are basically the most important part of this matchup. Because they lead into either CG to f-smash edgeguard or you can gimp with them.

I finished Death Note btw at least the anime. Unfortunately I am in school and i haven't read the manga. I'm pretty interested in reading the manga because the ending is far better from what I heard. Where are you at no spoilers but after about episode 26-27ish the anime goes downhill :(

Snakeee

Smash Master
I hate link T_T i lost to Skler in VLS too :(
I finished Death Note btw at least the anime. Unfortunately I am in school and i haven't read the manga. I'm pretty interested in reading the manga because the ending is far better from what I heard. Where are you at no spoilers but after about episode 26-27ish the anime goes downhill :(

What??!! No way the anime was great the whole way through. And the manga ending is actually pretty similar just a bit different in the way that it happens...

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
No way the anime was amazing in general but after around the epic episode 24 (look forward to that one my favorite episode in the entire series ;)) the series got less interesting IMO.

Basically what they did was make the anime amazing, interesting, and suspenseful. However after a certain point the anime just wasn't as interesting as it started with.

Irow

Smash Ace
Yeah, I actually hate spacies. It's not fun CG'ing.

I finished the anime and manga. The second of the ark was just not as good as the first. The manga is better than the anime in my opinion. It makes you want to turn the page.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Believe me to contend with certain people CG is a must I generally don't like to CG with sheik but at VLS I did it every game I possibly could.

>.< the moral is CG it can auto win plus the character you do it to deserve it :laugh:.

Besides I <3 to CG computer spacies i do it all the time :laugh:.

Irow

Smash Ace
I do it all the time too, it just makes the stock so boring though. I mean if you get it off, they die. After the billionth time, it isn't fun anymore.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I just hate that a match with Peach goes kind of slow. Marth makes the battle a little more fun. And even though I play Marth (Against Fox mostly), chain-grabbing makes a match really boring. I'm so glad that in Brawl, stuff like that seems to be out.
Unfortunately not. If Mario can do it, I'm sure there will be other characters that can.

Irow

Smash Ace
But Mario had a CG in Melee as well, and from what I've heard it's just not as easy. The ability to DI out of that kind of stuff is better. So, I really don't expect chaingrabbing to play a major role.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
it is possible to counter a counter. THink about it is it really possible there is a freeze frame while the counter hits and you get hit so you could respond with downB

LOL such a dumb question

Stewie1288

Smash Apprentice
So i searched around and I'm not 100% satisfied.....I'm having trouble with a spammy Y. Link. I whooped his *** all over FD, but he took me to corneria and whooped me even worse. So I know that fair and spacing is the name of the game for projectile spammer defense. Should I just wait him out and let him attack? what should my approach look like? I'm also having trouble on the right side of the corneria stage (where he likes to stay) every time I get a grab > uthrow and try an utilt or some other combo he jumps out and grabs the tip of the wing which pretty much negates my combo giving him his jump back. any suggestions?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
So i searched around and I'm not 100% satisfied.....I'm having trouble with a spammy Y. Link. I whooped his *** all over FD, but he took me to corneria and whooped me even worse. So I know that fair and spacing is the name of the game for projectile spammer defense. Should I just wait him out and let him attack? what should my approach look like? I'm also having trouble on the right side of the corneria stage (where he likes to stay) every time I get a grab > uthrow and try an utilt or some other combo he jumps out and grabs the tip of the wing which pretty much negates my combo giving him his jump back. any suggestions?
The best way to fight a YL is to "Camp in his face"

In other words you want to get relatively close to YL to a point where you can punish him for any projectile spam.

Approach him dont let him approach you because he simply won't.

Jab boomerangs and muscle your way through avoid bomb by jumping (or using marth's dancing blade I forgot who told me that thanks though).

Try to get to marth's tipper range give or take and wait for a reaction and punish it. If they don't do anything d-tilt to force a move. This should be a difficult battle oh and because YL's ability to fight out of a combo or to break combos isn't great stay ON TOP OF YL.

Your marth should become a relentless child molester if you ever land a hit that rises YL or leads into a grab.

Rinse Wash Repeat :laugh:

Oh don't up-throw YL just f-throw him or d-throw him. If you up-throw he can often double jump and escape your combos.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Well if he doesn't sweetspot perfectly you could just counter. I usually keep them off with ledgehopped bairs or off the stage fairs. Off the stage edgeguarding is your best bet, since most of the time they'll be going for a sweetspot. Unfourtunately for them, Marth's bair out ranges them.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Generally the way i edgeguard is to stand with your back to the edge.

If you see YL drop down or airdodge quickly wavedash off the stage fast fall under them and double jump b-air them (They should be relatively close to the edge)

If they up-b and don't airdodge just wait til their up-b runs out then f-smash them.

Also if they go down really really far down just wait for them to up-b and f-smash.

Also i couldn't edit my last post but also mix up your d-tilt shield pressuring with f-airs as well

Stewie1288

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the advice. so pressure them enough to make them feel uncomfortable with projectile spam and fthrow/dthrow > uthrow. yum. looks like i have a grudge to settle. >_< yar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom