• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
anyways, that's cool, i'll incorporate a little fair edgeguard into my game sometime maybe..if taj does it it must be useful sometimes..or was it cactuar..i forget now..

anyways, i'm still curious as to whether shieldbreaker hits farther beneath the stage than fsmash..as it is I almost alwyas space a Fsmash when on the ledge..but if shieldbreaker hits lower then i might use it for people with bad recoveries where i don't need to space ( ie not marth)

soaz

Smash Ace
ok i recently started playing marth(like this day)i have almost made the ken combo(only playing with lvl 9 so far)but after i hit the spike the cp meteor cancels. My question is can marths spike be meteor canceled and is meteor cancel when they just stop in the air when they are no where near a wall?

Randizzle

Smash Ace
you're location suggests you're playing PAL where his dair is a meteor. Meteors can be meteor canceled. It's only a true spike in NTSC (and cannot be canceled).

soaz

Smash Ace
to bad i have been getting it right like 5 times but it has always been meteor canceled.And why would they change things from ntsc to the worse?

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
Is there a way to escape the light shield edgeguard when you are forced to use your up b to get back and grab the edge? Cause i heard there is a way to up b and not hit the shield somehow and grab the edge when they are using the lightshield edgeguard against the edge...

Salaad

Smash Ace
Use it a little bit earlier than usual..Marth can grab the edge if he's a little bit away from it and it will hit them away if you do it correctly. Try not to hit the shield I guess...

soaz

Smash Ace
can any1 answer my last question? If there are any other differences between the pal and ntsc versions except his spike?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Marth is lighter in the Pal Version. There aren't any other differences for Marth, but some other character's attacks have been changed too. Shiek's down throw sends them further foward in the Pal version, Falco's dair is a spike on the startup but changes to an upwards trajectory aerial afterward. I'm sure there's more differences, but I can't think of any right now.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
soaz: They didn't make Marth worse. They made him better. It's a matter of perspective. When making a fighting game the goal is to make each character balanced. When you have a character that is too strong or too weak then the developer has failed in that mission to make all characters balanced. Mid tier characters are actually a triumph in terms of character balance.

The PAL version "corrects" alot the mistakes the developers made when creating the characters.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Tippers get easy to land when they become 2nd nature too.

Also for sweetspotters, run off > Reverse Dolphin/Jump spike works . Vs another Marth reverse DS doesn't work too well but against most others it does. Also, on stages like Yoshi's story and Pokemon Stadium (wen during some transformations) you can stand on a little hill and your f-smash will go about 1/3 of a character height through the floor, perfect for tipper.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
As for the light shielding technique, if you only have your UpB left your best methods are to upB onto the stage and be prepared to DI when your opponent rehits you. Or to learn the closest you can upB without hitting the shield and grabbing the edge. I have seen KDJ do this extremely low almost practically sweet spotting the edge. The trick is you want to make it low enough so that they can't jump out and grab the edge or sh aerial you before you can grab it. They probably can wavedash out of shield and grab it though but most likely they won't be looking to do that.

Serbi

Smash Rookie
Imagine I'm playing against a fox who sees all my dash attacks coming, would it be faster and easier to crouch cancel or wavedash to cancel the dash and follow with an attack of my choice?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Imagine I'm playing against a fox who sees all my dash attacks coming, would it be faster and easier to crouch cancel or wavedash to cancel the dash and follow with an attack of my choice?
If you know he knows when you dash attack, why are you dash attacking? Yes, changing your strategy should help you with that. You still want to occasionally dash attack though, unless your playing someone who is extremely repetitive you want your approach game to be varied.

Killpoint

Smash Rookie
Hi,
i've been playing with marth for years but it seems like i'm not getting better in fact i'm either Plateauing or getingg worse, i mean i know how to short hop and l cancel but it doesn't seem to help too much as i suck with arieal combos if anything i'm a grounded marth, also i know the concept of wave dashing and have tried all suggestions to wave dash and still am not able to do it consistantly any suggestions on helping me with ariel combos or wavedashing so i can get better would be much appreciated. Also how can i imrove my grab timing?

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Eh..I'm thinking about adding a "most common questions" part to my guidline thread...

slightly above or at 30% is when I start to up-tilt fox but thats the earliest I'd do it..others might say different but If I could get emblem to give me a listening of the most common questions, I'd add it to my thread.

Emblem lord?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Most common questions are people just being plain lazy.

Things like, what's the best way to SHDF?

Is wavedashing neccessary to be a good Marth?

When is the best time to *insert move/technique/combo here*.

You guys know the rest. People like to be spoon fed. I will not dignify such responses with an answer. It's gotten to a point where I feel like answering questions like that is just plain stupid.

There are some things people need to just figure out on thier own and are so trivial that they really needn't bother asking questions about.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
There's no hope for you Brandon. I will continue to destroy you in Marth dittos until the end of time. :laugh:

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
lol, im dead serious,watching Marcel SHDB is the some of the sickest stuff ive ever seen. But thats ok i beat him in a ditto for like the first time in 2 years on tuesday, so that makes me better...right?

Randizzle

Smash Ace
HAY GUYS
MY FRIEND PLAYS LINK AND ALWAYS JUST ROLLS AND DOES THAT SPINNING THING. I CAN WAVEDASH AND LCANCEL MOST OF THE TIME BUT I CANT BEAT HIM. WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?

****, i'm bored.

also, mudkips.

anyway, utilt to grabs starts working in the 30s. You may need to hit with a backwards utilt at lower 30s in order for it to pop fox or falco upward for a regrab, otherwise you can try to tech chase. However, keep in mind that you sometimes also have the option to regrab without utilt depending on how your opponent DIs.

Aesir

Smash Master
You should just make a marth guide, that'll answer everyones questions.

How to play marth:
throw them off the stage, edge guard.

adv marth tacts

char specific
All characters besides space animals and CF
fair to tipper fsmash edge guard.

Space animals:

1.Grab
2.up throw
3.rinse repeat
4.profit

SUPER ADVANCE MARTH TACTICS
Grab, up throw, repeat then down throw fsmash. this is only for you super advanced guys that can wavedash and all that jaz.

CF
run around and grab, fair run around and do stuff.

Massive

Smash Champion
I suppose I'll ask a question here and see how it pans out.

I play a lot of good Captain Falcons, and one who is totally broken, the good ones I can handle with practice, but the totally broken one and he will just nair juggle me repeatedly then knee me.

At best I can only get 2 stock off him with marth, and thus my query, is there any particular direction I should be trying to DI so I can retaliate without getting knee'd or perhaps any other strategy that would prevent me from being air combo'd to death?

balladechina212

Smash Ace
DI his nairs down so you can tech before he combos you any further.

You have a lot more priority in the air than Captain Falcon. If you space correctly, you should have no problem getting around his nairs and knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom