• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
A small stage with platforms would do you plenty of good Massive, like yosh's story (duh) or even battlefield.

Platforms help falcon's combo ability but really limit his air game on you because you can make such good use of the platforms and they will help you escape low-mid % followups from grabs.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Official question:

When is a good time to use the first side-b????

I see alot of people use it at weird times. I know its quick and has good range, but i am not sure when i should use it.
Thanks!

Redragon

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I use it in place of my neutral A (not all the time) as a jab functioning type move as I can combo directly from it..and its very hard to predict. Emblem lord had a long discussion about this, I wish I could find it.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
I use it in place of my neutral A (not all the time) as a jab functioning type move as I can combo directly from it..and its very hard to predict. Emblem lord had a long discussion about this, I wish I could find it.
I see, thanks.
What about using it after a sort hoped aerial, like after a shffl???
On some characters its a great setup for a combo i think...

Redragon

Massive

Smash Champion
I use forward-b for timing disruptions, it can seriously throw people off especially when you're recovering onto the stage or approaching.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
I see, thanks.
What about using it after a sort hoped aerial, like after a shffl???
On some characters its a great setup for a combo i think...

Redragon
you can often use it right after an l-canceled fair (or sometimes other aerials too), to set up into more forward+b hits or forward+b into tilts.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Sonic wave, I request your assistance, you are a marth board regular who keeps the major boards bumped well so I suggest we join forces in keeping emblem lords threads and my guideline thread alived despite constant falling.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Went to a tournament and found a few things.

On space animals ~20%, SH Fair, Waveland backwards > D-smash tipper.

On any char near edge, back to them, SHFFL Uair to ledge cancel, double jump > dair.

Both REALLY situational I guess, but I got them to work. Also saw Husband do Downthrow off edge > SHFFL Dair at 0%. I think they jump back up into it.

It's strange, I fight a Fox on Yoshi's Story, and I get 2 stocked. Then I fight on 64 and Corneria and I 2/3 stock it. Am I not taking advantage of Yoshi's or did I luck out?

Randizzle

Smash Ace
Went to a tournament and found a few things.

On space animals ~20%, SH Fair, Waveland backwards > D-smash tipper.

On any char near edge, back to them, SHFFL Uair to ledge cancel, double jump > dair.

Both REALLY situational I guess, but I got them to work. Also saw Husband do Downthrow off edge > SHFFL Dair at 0%. I think they jump back up into it.

It's strange, I fight a Fox on Yoshi's Story, and I get 2 stocked. Then I fight on 64 and Corneria and I 2/3 stock it. Am I not taking advantage of Yoshi's or did I luck out?
don't forget that Yoshi's is a pretty good Fox stage too. Although, doing better on Corneria is strange... Chances are, you're not using the platforms as well as the fox is.

The sh fair to dsmash is very DI dependent, but wavelanding the SH can still give you some really nice options.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
If you ledgehop a nair, do you ever have to l-cancel it? I find then when I DI in then fastfall it normally autocancels.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yoshi's story is good for Fox AND Marth.

Why don't people realize this?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
They both get alot of help IMO.

Fox gets low ceilings for early kills.

Marth gets platforms for easy tippers.

The angle of the edges can really screw up Marth's edge guarding, but it can also help him hit lower with an f-smash when he is at the very edge.

The cloud can really screw up ken combos though and u-tilt to spike combos.

But platforms help set up opponents really well for Marth's u-tilt to spike combos.

It's a solid stage for both of them IMO.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
So Yoshi's is more like an anti-Sheik/IC stage, not an overall counterpick...

And about Corneria, whenever he went near the fin I just did Up+B > Dair > repeat. So he stayed away, allowing me to take advantage of open spaces and u-tilt like crazy.

Yum_Cha

Smash Apprentice
So Yoshi's is more like an anti-Sheik/IC stage, not an overall counterpick...

And about Corneria, whenever he went near the fin I just did Up+B > Dair > repeat. So he stayed away, allowing me to take advantage of open spaces and u-tilt like crazy.
I had a question about that statement. What stages are good for Marth, but not for Shiek. Although YS is consider a great stage for Marth, it is also a good stage for Shiek. The only stage I know where Marth has more of an advantage is Battlefield, and maybe FD because of combos?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
FD is probably one of the worser stages to play Sheik on, no way to dodge needle camping or to tech the downthrow. Mute City is a good choice of a counter pick against Sheik since it takes away their recovery and edgegaurding options (which are both better than Marth's). Any other stage I would count as being close to even in terms of stage picking. It all depends on what your comfortable playing on. Against Sheiks I like choosing Yoshi's, Battlefield, Mute City, or Fountain as my counterpicks. Other than Mute City the other 3 are based on w/e I feel like at the moment.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
FD is probably one of the worser stages to play Sheik on, no way to dodge needle camping or to tech the downthrow. Mute City is a good choice of a counter pick against Sheik since it takes away their recovery and edgegaurding options (which are both better than Marth's). Any other stage I would count as being close to even in terms of stage picking. It all depends on what your comfortable playing on. Against Sheiks I like choosing Yoshi's, Battlefield, Mute City, or Fountain as my counterpicks. Other than Mute City the other 3 are based on w/e I feel like at the moment.
I always thought and heard that FoD was a great sheik stage!!!
Oh well....
I also think that Battlefield would be better then Yoshis story.
And mute is fo sho the best against her.

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
how the **** do you kill samus
stfu n00b :laugh:
Gotta play less aggressively, I've realized that when playing against Hugo :p. Once you get inside Samus' missiles then keep proper spacing and watch out for Shield -> D-Smash and definitely be careful with grabs because of Samus's Up-B and her ability to wavedash out and back in with time to Smash. Well spaced fairs are critical, at low percents if you try to combo with the dull part of the blade you can get kicked back out from her neutral air but at higher percents (~70-80%) the stun is long enough to do fair combos. I've found that Up-B is a pretty consistent finisher against Samus.
Oh, btw I'm thinking about just going Ganon against Bowles crew. Just throw me in against the 2 Samuses. You and Jimmy should just Wobble everyone else :laugh:. I'm more worried about Unit 2 crew, friggin Danny AND Brian...2good. But we should be set after I 4-stock everyone else :p.

whatwhatwhatwhatwhat

Smash Apprentice
I just noticed that if you mash fsmash on the c-stick while dashdancing, you'll get a pivoted fsmash within the first 2 seconds of the dashdance, depending on how fast you do it. This obviously isn't as precise as normal pivoting but it can make for a few "wtf" fsmashes that every Marth player loves seeing. If they're not on the receiving end, of course.

I was wondering if anyone else had any pivoting related tricks to relieve us smashers who are still learning to intricacies of pivoting. Watching a few FLT videos made me a believer of how incredibly useful it can be to Marth's game.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I just noticed that if you mash fsmash on the c-stick while dashdancing, you'll get a pivoted fsmash within the first 2 seconds of the dashdance, depending on how fast you do it. This obviously isn't as precise as normal pivoting but it can make for a few "wtf" fsmashes that every Marth player loves seeing. If they're not on the receiving end, of course.

I was wondering if anyone else had any pivoting related tricks to relieve us smashers who are still learning to intricacies of pivoting. Watching a few FLT videos made me a believer of how incredibly useful it can be to Marth's game.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=108714&highlight=Pivoting+Method

T3st1fy

Smash Rookie
But how are you supposed to do the 2xfair in one short hop? ;/ Could someone give me some tips on how to do this? I use the c-stick, but I just can't manage to do the stupid thing!!! >.<

Giggidax

Smash Ace
FoD is a decent stage for the marth vs shiek matchup. i dont know muc habout it, but it kind of plays the same role as YS, except not so entirely the same.

but ive seen a video where shiek come back from 1 stock to 4 stock a marth on FoD tho. so i would say its about even for both of them

Schweppes

Smash Ace
Sheik can do some ridiculous stuff with the platforms on FoD, and Marth's usual platform **** isn't as rapey because they're lower (tooo low). :(

So I say FoD is better for Sheik (more than normal).

FrostByte

Smash Lord
There is the problem that Sheik can also platform **** as much as Marth since the platforms are low enough to utilt/uair through.

but ive seen a video where shiek come back from 1 stock to 4 stock a marth on FoD tho. so i would say its about even for both of them
Marth's usual platform **** isn't as rapey because they're lower (tooo low).
This proves that platform **** < amsah ****

Aesir

Smash Master
practice practice practice lol.

Depends on the length of your thumb my thumbs kinda longish so I slide the top of my thumb off the Y and the middle of my thumb moves the c-stick in one quick motion.

I occasionally mess up but usually I don't.

Rune

Smash Lord
I really need some tips on this. I wanna practice 2 fairs in one short hop today!?
One on the way 'up', and one on the way down. Basically do a fair whenever your character isn't doing anything else, like getting ready to jump or finishing his first fair. I'd say use the buttons (at least for now), a click is faster than a push. And it's obviously not gonna combo over and over without flawless L-cancels.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
I remember a while back Emblem Lord said that the shine --> WD --> grab was NOT a combo that Fox could do to Marth. I've been doing what he said (DIing away from the shine and buffering a dodge or a roll) but I don't think I can get out of it. I've also talked to another respected smasher and he said that it was a true combo on Marth. Could someone confirm or deny this for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom