• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
regardless of whether it is or is not "true combo" you should act as though it wasn't a true combo. that way, even if it is a true combo, there's a chance that the fox will make a mistake which you can capitalize on.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
I'd say I can count on most Foxes around my skill level to NOT make mistakes in that combo against a Marth. Instead, I usually just accept that I'm going to get the uthrow and try to smash DI out of the uair.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I remember a while back Emblem Lord said that the shine --> WD --> grab was NOT a combo that Fox could do to Marth. I've been doing what he said (DIing away from the shine and buffering a dodge or a roll) but I don't think I can get out of it. I've also talked to another respected smasher and he said that it was a true combo on Marth. Could someone confirm or deny this for me?
Have you tried DIing away from the shine and buffering a roll or spotdodge afterwards? The window is obviously very small if it's indeed not a true combo like Emblem Lord says.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's what I do. If a Fox hits me with a drill, I will already start DIing away before the shine comes. Then I buffer something right after I get hit by the shine but usually I still get grabbed.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It requires the Fox to do a near perfect wavedash to follow-up. And grabbing is really the only thing he can follow-up with I think.

But....

So what?

Smash DI the Uair and death combo Fox when you come down. >_>

And remember to switch up your DI too. DI away and sometimes DI towards.

Puffin

Smash Apprentice
When you SHFFL, do you do the aerial right after you short hop, or at the peak of the jump right before the fast fall? The first one is harder to see coming, but the second one (I assume) makes it harder to be shield grabbed, and you can act more quickly afterwards. I know this is the Marth Q & A thread, but are other characters supposed to do the same thing?

Imperial Wraith

Smash Journeyman
Whenever you want really, Puffin. Early ones are good if you want to hit very quickly (Ie. To inturrupt something), and then DI backwards or something to get you out of range. You can also use this method do to double fairs, or fair -> uair in one shorthop.

Last shuffles (Or Ominous Shuffles as I like to call them xD) are also a useful trick to learn. You can space yourself better with them, and even use it as a trick, e.g. a few late shuffles so your opponent puts up his shield, and then empty shuffling -> grab. Just use whatever the situation demands, and remember to mix it up.

Salaad

Smash Ace
Well, I just got back with playing against my friends Fox..

I think that when I SHFFL an aerial at the peak of Marth's SH, it does less damage than a normal Fair. It does about 8-9 dmg when perfectly spaced. I was just wondering cause it's easier for me to combo with but harder to do since I have to wait till I get to the peak of my SH..

I got Shine Spiked a couple times today, and I already used my jump so a rising Fair was not an option..What should my response be when I see a shine spike comming?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I think that a fair would still work in most cases. As long as you're not too far below stage height when you do the fair you should still be able to make it back with your up B. You could try hitting fox with you're side B. Or you could be fancy and use your up B early to hit him when he comes out to shine you and then fall onto the ledge for some easy edgeguarding.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Ah, Sonic Wave, it's good you're here:laugh:

[Marth's dtilt is] great for edgeguarding and covering yourself if you misspace an aerial because it causes more shield stun than it's lag time (with IASA frames of course)
This is a quote from one of the "best move" discussions in Melee Discussion. I asked my question in that thread but it was never answered. However, now I'm curious.

My question was: Does Marth's dtilt need to be a tipper to have more shieldstun then lag, or could I really use this as an all around shield-grab counter? For example, let's say I seriously misjudge my opponent's dashdancing and end up totally misspacing a fair, such that I hilt his shield (assume it was a late shffled fair). Could I go into an immediate dtilt and dashdance away in the IASA to avoid the shieldgrab, or will the dtilt simply not have enough shieldstun at that sourspot range (or do I just not have the time to get the dtilt out at all, and I'll just get grabbed?)

Sorry for beeing a tad pushy for this answer, I just feel it's an important peice of information, as I don't use Marth's dtilt very much as it is.

EDIT: quick reply :p thanks Emblem

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You would get shieldgrabbed most likely before the d-tilt even hit.

But Marth could just dash away to avoid getting grabbed.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Just DI away and you can avoid the chainthrow from Falcon. Even DI away and down works I believe.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
Edge Gaurding Marth

My friend was telling me that there's a great way to edge guard Marth, but since he usually plays as Marth he wouldn't tell me what it was. In one game, when he wasn't playing as Marth and I was, I thought I saw him try it by using his bubble shield while I was using Marth's ^B to get back to the edge. It wasn't the normal bubble shield though, it was the faded, larger one that you get when you do grabs. So, what exactly am I supposed to do to edge gaurd him?

Randizzle

Smash Ace
goldens1104, you're describing a light shield edgehog. to perform it, you roll on to the edge of a stage and lightshield (by tapping l or r really lightly or with z) with your back to the edge. note that not all characters can do this on marth.

if you really want to figure out how to screw over a recovering marth, take him out of his double jump. marth has a bit of difficulty regaining the momentum he often needs to recover, so stealing his jump often completely ruins a recovery.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
goldens1104, you're describing a light shield edgehog. to perform it, you roll on to the edge of a stage and lightshield (by tapping l or r really lightly or with z) with your back to the edge. note that not all characters can do this on marth.

if you really want to figure out how to screw over a recovering marth, take him out of his double jump. marth has a bit of difficulty regaining the momentum he often needs to recover, so stealing his jump often completely ruins a recovery.
thanks for the advice, i'll start practicing that. do you know if link can do it against marth though? I dont wanna spend hours trying to figure out something that might not even work at all.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's not really that dependant on the falling speed. It's mostly dependant on the character's ledgegrab range and how low the character's lightshield is able to go off the stage (which depends on the character's hieght).

Marth could do the lightshield edgehog to Marth if you were to fastfall immediately after your light shield gets hit, but the timming is really tight and other edgeguards are easier.

Link can't do it to Marth even with the fastfall.

I know that there's quite a few characters that can do this to Marth if they fastfall. There are some characters that can do it without the fastfall, but you won't be fighting most of those characters anyway. The characters that will be doing this to you most often are Fox, Falco, and Captain Falcon if you're not sweetspotting perfectly or if he knows when to fastfall.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Yes, I got into an agruement with someone over that and had it looked into, doesn't work in marth dittos.

I have it rarely done to me and I don't believe its all that effective considering the other options that can be used.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
ive searched the forums and i cant find anything on this :/

Can you edge guard marth by standing on the edge and light shielding? how does that work? does it only work with certain characters? any details will be very helpeful. thank you

nevermind..it was right here all along lolz

balladechina212

Smash Ace
You guys always talk about sweetspotting perfectly with Marth. I want to know how many of you actually do that. I even remember a match where Ken edgeteched 4 or 5 times in a row because he didn't sweetspot any of his up-Bs (I think the commentator even mentioned this). You guys talk about it as if it were easy to do that 100% of the time.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I do when I want to, I'm afraid its much easier than you're making it out to be. We already discussed this china, don't start agruing again. Ken was having a good ledgetech day but wouldn't sweetspot, don't try to throw ken in here to further your point, the fact is, its easy to sweetspot perfectly with practice.

And people wonder why I'm overly mean to noobs..the stuff after my discussion on light shield edgeguard. cloudz, please tell me your question was answered.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Ok, apparently Ken is a noob.

Unless he's purposely not sweetspotting in a major MLG tournament because he likes taking damage and looking cool at the same time.

Here's the link btw, http://youtube.com/watch?v=QIm00tNHZlg

Count em, Ken edgetechs six times - five fsmashes and one dair. He really must enjoy purposely not sweetspotting, since it's so easy and all.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Don't be too mean to the noobs, they're little and don't know any better.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
China, be quiet if you're not going to agrue civilly. Just because you can't do something doesn't mean you should give people a hard time that can.

I didn't say ken was a noob in any means. He had tons of pressure on him and thus was not sweetspotting but at least he got the tech off. I've watched the video, don't be a prick about this.

Aesir

Smash Master
China sucks lulz....

sometimes your timing is off and what you think is sweet spotted actually isn't it happens sometimes but usually sweet spotting is easy.

as for your ken is a noob comment, you should probably keep that to your self. Ken has achieved more then you probably ever will. lol

Now onto a more important note.

Green greens = best marth stage DISCUSS

Randizzle

Smash Ace
it's often easier to edgetech than to get perfect sweetspot on some stages (such as FD). Missing the perfect sweetspot doesn't make anyone a noob, we're all human... except m2k, he's a robot.... and cactuar, he's a cactus. Both of you need to calm down.

and wtf ankoku?

I dislike green greens. I'll stick to my FD and BF, thank you very much.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I'm calm as can be, I'm not the one that came on strong, I'm just not about to agrue something that was already agrued before. Please lets not agrue over something thats been stated and discussed already.

Aesir

Smash Master
Its so easy to get gay kills on that stage. Unless you're playing a fox. <_<

edit: specifically camping near the edge can be really beneficial to marth.

Then again I only have marth ditto experience in this stage lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom