• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Is Sooo Gayy!!!

SheerMadness

Smash Master
It's hard to get away with being really aggro vs a defensive Marth unless you're Shiz and have overwhelming tech skill which you almost never **** up.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
It's hard to get away with being really aggro vs a defensive Marth unless you're Shiz and have overwhelming tech skill which you almost never **** up.
your tech doesn't need to be overwhelming, it just needs to be on point. don't try **** that you **** up and you're golden. simple nair -> shine -> fadeback nair does wonders to his tiny shield and prevents you from trying over complicated **** that will get you grabbed. Shine grab is also ****, but don't do it until you practice it enough to not **** up.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Diakonos, why do you keep doing neutral b when recovering? Nobody's going to get hit by that. Lol.

Maybe they are. Haha. It just seems like it got you punished a lot. Dieslow's too patient for you. >_>

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Diakonos, why do you keep doing neutral b when recovering? Nobody's going to get hit by that. Lol.

Maybe they are. Haha. It just seems like it got you punished a lot. Dieslow's too patient for you. >_>
It works against Falcon and Foxes that can't wait to shine you or bair you. I just screwed up a lot against Dieslow, and he's very good at punishing. He won fair and square, but that's what happened.

You'd be surprised mang. And the thing is, even if it doesn't hit, I still am guaranteed to go below the edge, and normally I can up+b to walltech bair and always grab the edge. It's pretty much flawless if done right.

edit:// I lol'd at the funny gifs.

dieslow

Smash Ace
^ i like this guy.

falco vs marth is def doable but the gimps are too devastating, i prefer to go fox against dikenose.
i dont think 'just screwing up' is a legit john manuel, try again next time ;)

LOL

"dieslow wins by just making people jump into his dumb moves; that's all he does" -Manuel

Diakonos

Smash Lord
won't you get edgeguarded as marth?
Yeah but that's okay. Sometimes I get back on! And besides, I don't know if I have the self control to be killed at 40% and not shriek.

My sheik is really good now, but I don't like getting edgeguarded as her either. =/

Another thing is that my falco technical is really bad. I miss lcancels when attacking a shield, my wavedash is less than perfect, and my shine out of shield is no good, cuz I'm used to doing it as Fox.

WakingTheFallen

Smash Cadet
Yeah but that's okay. Sometimes I get back on! And besides, I don't know if I have the self control to be killed at 40% and not shriek.

My sheik is really good now, but I don't like getting edgeguarded as her either. =/

Another thing is that my falco technical is really bad. I miss lcancels when attacking a shield, my wavedash is less than perfect, and my shine out of shield is no good, cuz I'm used to doing it as Fox.
haha when i read the second line i thought you said shriek.

marth is definitely my worst matchup. peach is up there too but i've never fought a good peach but i am guessing it won't be fun. against marth i try to just camp lasers and only start combos if i am sure the shine/dair hits. powershield happy marths would seem to be very irritating haha.

unknown522

Some guy

fair enough.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
fair enough.
Lol cool, I have Unknown's permission to not play Falco and Sheik.

and LOL at "my shriek is really good now too".

Blunted object is off practicing smash without me with good people, because I have to do homework. What a loser. There is a tournament this Saturday though, I'll be sure not to lose to Falco unless he takes Peepee's advice.

How come no one gives me advice? (Well, Zhu told me I should kill myself less.)

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I didn't even get to play against BO10 in Singles. I beat Sion's Falco though =D

Diakonos

Smash Lord
I think Fox vs. Falco is the most fun match in the game. Chops vs PP was amazing. I love PeePee's Falco. I even told him that back in the WORLD PR thread, and he was like "Oh you.. teehee!". Well not exactly, but you get the gist.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Fox vs Falco is fast. I'd probably like it the most if I would quit messing up some at it.

Chops is really fast.

Well, I have to be good in order for people to love me. You're silly, Diakonos. =p

unknown522

Some guy
Lol cool, I have Unknown's permission to not play Falco and Sheik.

and LOL at "my shriek is really good now too".

Blunted object is off practicing smash without me with good people, because I have to do homework. What a loser. There is a tournament this Saturday though, I'll be sure not to lose to Falco unless he takes Peepee's advice.

How come no one gives me advice? (Well, Zhu told me I should kill myself less.)
Alright, lemme know how it goes.

Also, I didn't know you wanted advice. Here goes off the top of my head from what I can remember:

- You need to do WDs out of shield since you use it very often. A lot of times because marth's WD animation is so low, he will go right under aerials. Shine also doesn't have enough range to hit marth and if they do shine, then you get a free grab / f-smash.

- CC -> grab is ridiculously stupid with marth and should be used frequently (not really against a low falco d-air though), but jabs, n-airs, and b-airs should equal a loss of their stock as long as you're under 70% for aerials (over 120% for jabs or weak aerials other than d-air). It's not really hard for a marth main to combo spacies especially since if you drop one you can most likely tech chase with marth's range + speed.

- It's good that you don't jump around much, but sometimes you over spam n-air and it could potentially get you killed because you should be staying on the ground.

I'll add more later, because that's all I could remember off the top of my head.

Hitsugaya

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice, unknown ;D

It's true, I used to WD out of shield a lot, but now I can't wavedash very well so I screw it up and I get grabbed or shined. Do you mean wd out of shield when he's attacking me? Or just for general spacing?

CC grab is really good against Fox, but it doesn't work well with Marth except in specific situations. I think I do it when it's possible though. I really need help with general marth combos. I can do really hard stuff like ledgecanceled Ken combo and powershield->combo, but I find my grab combos aren't that good. I usually just end up fsmashing them at like 50. I'm working on my platform combos, I think they are okay. Part of the issue is that I use Z to attack, so sometimes I'll grab when I try to do moves, especially out of shield.

I will not use nair ever again. I only use it when I'm bored and I'm sick of waiting around-- maybe I'll do stationary nairs instead? Is it worth trying to learn to Cstick?

PeePeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

unknown522

Some guy
WD out of shield is amazing when the opponent is attacking you because of his crouch-like animation makes him go under the opponent when they try to pillar your shield, or you can do it moving away to reset position. It's a gamble if they call you for it and don't proceed with the pillar, or do shine -> grab. At a distance I see you do WD out of shield a lot and really quickly after you block an attack. It's really impressive how fast you do it sometimes vs Eric. For general spacing though, DDing is much better than WDing. Moving back at close range is sooo good.

For combos, just be creative and follow DI, or chuck them on to a platform and try not to let them get down with u-tilt and u-air. Simple but effective.

Lol, you're the only person other than Hbox that I know that uses Z button to attack. I used to use the A button only back in '06 - '07 when I mained Mario, but then I kept messing up SH u-airs and losing momentum on b-airs / f-airs, so I practiced C-stick. Also if you're going to do a n-air, doing a SH auto-cancel'd one is very safe. If they try to run in for a grab, you can just do your own and it will beat theirs, or more commonly just d-tilt after, because the IASA frames are ridiculous (though you know that most likely). Retreating n-air is only bad in dittos and vs sheik when she's crouching, or is above you.

but yeah, np. I hope it helps.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
retreating nair also covers rolls if they get gutsy and they also go under and hit fox out of anything he tries including dtilt and usmash so its the same for falco except he can laser you.

but yeah that **** is beast. and also dont forget run and shield even if u dont powershield. u can jump and fair. and pc chris used to do running powershield to reverse up b for kills.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Lol, you're the only person other than Hbox that I know that uses Z button to attack.
I just recently started using Z for stuff like instant bairs OOS with Fox because the C stick is too far for my thumb to reach quickly and when I use A sometimes my finger brushes B and I side-b instead.

Also, Z is a must for DJCing with Ness, who I use.

Niko45

Smash Master
-The only Marth I've ever seen 0-death spacies from grab was M2K and that was only on FD in like 2007. So yea, if this is happening to you stop letting it happen.

-Don't cc vs falco

-nair in place is fantastic in general for marth

Pretty tough matchup for Marth. You need your OOS game, edgeguards, and grab combos to be on point. Just practice those.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
retreating nair also covers rolls if they get gutsy and they also go under and hit fox out of anything he tries including dtilt and usmash so its the same for falco except he can laser you.

but yeah that **** is beast. and also dont forget run and shield even if u dont powershield. u can jump and fair. and pc chris used to do running powershield to reverse up b for kills.
Lol I powershield up+b every day, son, once before breakfast and twice after. If I DON'T do run in shield fair, it's because my fair turns into a grab. If you watch closely, you'll see that I lose whole stocks because I grab instead of fair or dair or uair.
I just recently started using Z for stuff like instant bairs OOS with Fox because the C stick is too far for my thumb to reach quickly and when I use A sometimes my finger brushes B and I side-b instead.

Also, Z is a must for DJCing with Ness, who I use.
Thanks to Z, I shine bair like a pro. And it gives me the lulz when I mean to do shine nair but instead I get a shine grab and I uthrow them.

Unknown, est-ce que tu as MSN? And, do any of the old ottawa guys play? My (ex? :() girlfriend lives in Ottawa and I might visit her this winter.

Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my hearrtt

Niko45

Smash Master
The point is grab does not = stock in spacies vs marth.

But again, if you can find me not m2k not FD inescapable 0-death, that'd be completely unbelievable.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
LOLOL. Who do you play that uses Marth? Hell, I can occasionally get stocks off grabs against FALCON, and I don't even play Marth seriously.

D

Deleted member

falco can make opposing fox/falco player slower with proper use of shield camping to sidestep shine. it's a good easy way to narrow a tech skill gap.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The point is grab does not = stock in spacies vs marth.

But again, if you can find me not m2k not FD inescapable 0-death, that'd be completely unbelievable.
I can show you many i've done, but it depends on your definition of "inescapable".

If you mean they could have teched *differently* then probably not. If you mean that I can cover every one of their options, no matter which way they DI, tech or recover, then yes.

Top Bottom